VMCAS Questions and Rants c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This has nothing to do with VMCAS, per se but like…how does everyone deal with feeling defeated in this process?
-----------------
TLDR; I should really stop worrying but I am feeling v worried about my apps and future apps because of my gpa but can’t really do anything about it.
eh. i didn't think i'd get in, and i did get rejected the first time i applied. so then i walked away from applying for about four years. i built an interesting life for myself, tried again when i was ready, and got in. it was my life experience, not my gpa - which had barely changed - that made a difference. and as for the pressure, i dealt with, and continue to deal with stress through adrenaline sports like skateboarding and surfing, even with school. each person is a little different. but for me, i refused to allow becoming a vet student to define my personality, and i still carry that with me. i personally am kind of contrarian and pushing against systems makes me feel better. it's different for everyone.

anyway. sure, be ready to adapt if you need to when the moment comes. til then take things one day at a time. remind yourself that you're more than a number, but also find other aspects of your life that bring you joy. and when you can, try to distract yourself as much as you can in between school/work/other commitments.
 
eh. i didn't think i'd get in, and i did get rejected the first time i applied. so then i walked away from applying for about four years. i built an interesting life for myself, tried again when i was ready, and got in. it was my life experience, not my gpa - which had barely changed - that made a difference. and as for the pressure, i dealt with, and continue to deal with stress through adrenaline sports like skateboarding and surfing, even with school. each person is a little different. but for me, i refused to allow becoming a vet student to define my personality, and i still carry that with me. i personally am kind of contrarian and pushing against systems makes me feel better. it's different for everyone.

anyway. sure, be ready to adapt if you need to when the moment comes. til then take things one day at a time. remind yourself that you're more than a number, but also find other aspects of your life that bring you joy. and when you can, try to distract yourself as much as you can in between school/work/other commitments.
Thank you for this. Sometimes I forget that I'm more than just a student applying to vet school.
 
I need some guidance, I interviewed at Midwestern and Lincoln in October but haven’t heard back, but I know of other people that have heard back and was accepted. Should I assume that I’ve been rejected?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need some guidance, I interviewed at Midwestern and Lincoln in October but haven’t heard back, but I know of other people that have heard back and was accepted. Should I assume that I’ve been rejected?
You're not rejected until they say you are. Likewise, every student should assume they will be rejected until you have an acceptance in hand. These schools in particular work off rolling admissions, so there's a chance you'll be accepted any time between now and March from my understanding.
 
Has anyone ever been OOS accepted to Oregon with a lower GPA or CSU VetPrep? I have over 15,000 hours of animal and vet experience combined and have always worked full-time (40hrs) while taking full time classes (18-22 credits) through my 7 years of undergrad. I knew OSU would take that into account but wasn't sure if it would really help my application. I've been interviewed by one school so far, still waiting to hear back. I've been rejected by 4 and placed on the alternate interview waitlist for Kansas. I am still waiting to hear from 6 schools but honestly have little hope for myself at this point. This is only my first cycle so I kind of knew it would be this way and I think when I graduate next year my last 45 will be over a 3.6 so hopefully that would help me if I don't get in anywhere this cycle.
 
Has anyone ever been OOS accepted to Oregon with a lower GPA or CSU VetPrep? I have over 15,000 hours of animal and vet experience combined and have always worked full-time (40hrs) while taking full time classes (18-22 credits) through my 7 years of undergrad. I knew OSU would take that into account but wasn't sure if it would really help my application. I've been interviewed by one school so far, still waiting to hear back. I've been rejected by 4 and placed on the alternate interview waitlist for Kansas. I am still waiting to hear from 6 schools but honestly have little hope for myself at this point. This is only my first cycle so I kind of knew it would be this way and I think when I graduate next year my last 45 will be over a 3.6 so hopefully that would help me if I don't get in anywhere this cycle.
You'll want to post in the WAMC forum
 
Has anyone ever been OOS accepted to Oregon with a lower GPA or CSU VetPrep? I have over 15,000 hours of animal and vet experience combined and have always worked full-time (40hrs) while taking full time classes (18-22 credits) through my 7 years of undergrad. I knew OSU would take that into account but wasn't sure if it would really help my application. I've been interviewed by one school so far, still waiting to hear back. I've been rejected by 4 and placed on the alternate interview waitlist for Kansas. I am still waiting to hear from 6 schools but honestly have little hope for myself at this point. This is only my first cycle so I kind of knew it would be this way and I think when I graduate next year my last 45 will be over a 3.6 so hopefully that would help me if I don't get in anywhere this cycle.
Hey! I am a vet prep student, you can dm me any questions! Don’t feel too bummed out, you’re already improving your application and will be a better candidate next cycle if this one doesn’t work out!
 
Hi! I was placed on the interview alternative list for KSU. Does anyone know if we do not receive an interview after the interview dates we were given to choose from, does that mean we are rejected?

Along with this, does anyone know of anyone who got accepted to KSU who originally was on the alternative list? Trying to be hopeful!
 
Has anyone been placed on the alternative list for Midwestern and accepted? Needing some hope
I'm a current first year and the dean told us at orientation that this is the first year ever that no one in the class was from the alternative list. So yup, other than my year, every year there's some students who are accepted from the alternative list 🙂 And it also seems like they might be increasing the class size yet again (mine is 132 but started around 135-140)
 
Hi all,
I was hoping someone may be able to help with a question I have regarding my application for this cycle. I applied to Washington State which requires 8 credits of general bio w/lab. So for me this was General Biology I (4 credits) and General Biology II (4 credits). When I applied this cycle I saved my application as a pdf. I want to preface this next point by saying I checked each of my applications 3 times, so I still don’t know how I made this mistake, but it appears I only listed my Gen Bio II class under WSU’s biology prereq when I should’ve posted both. So basically I neglected to list general bio I. I realized this the other night when I randomly decided to go look at my application pdf (I was bored and anxious about decisions). I was verified and everything and both my bio courses are on my official transcript and in the classes I put in VMCAS. It’s just not added onto the WSU application prereqs. I also never got an email from WSU telling me I was missing a prereq, but I’m now really concerned this will disqualify my application from even being reviewed. I understand it’s so late to be realizing this since they’re doing OOS decisions soon, but just thought I’d jump on here and see if something similar has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any advice? I was planning on emailing them too just in case it could even help. Thank you!
 
Hi all,
I was hoping someone may be able to help with a question I have regarding my application for this cycle. I applied to Washington State which requires 8 credits of general bio w/lab. So for me this was General Biology I (4 credits) and General Biology II (4 credits). When I applied this cycle I saved my application as a pdf. I want to preface this next point by saying I checked each of my applications 3 times, so I still don’t know how I made this mistake, but it appears I only listed my Gen Bio II class under WSU’s biology prereq when I should’ve posted both. So basically I neglected to list general bio I. I realized this the other night when I randomly decided to go look at my application pdf (I was bored and anxious about decisions). I was verified and everything and both my bio courses are on my official transcript and in the classes I put in VMCAS. It’s just not added onto the WSU application prereqs. I also never got an email from WSU telling me I was missing a prereq, but I’m now really concerned this will disqualify my application from even being reviewed. I understand it’s so late to be realizing this since they’re doing OOS decisions soon, but just thought I’d jump on here and see if something similar has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any advice? I was planning on emailing them too just in case it could even help. Thank you!
Definitely would call them Monday morning and double check. They likely figured it out themselves, but doesn’t hurt to check.
 
Hi all,
I was hoping someone may be able to help with a question I have regarding my application for this cycle. I applied to Washington State which requires 8 credits of general bio w/lab. So for me this was General Biology I (4 credits) and General Biology II (4 credits). When I applied this cycle I saved my application as a pdf. I want to preface this next point by saying I checked each of my applications 3 times, so I still don’t know how I made this mistake, but it appears I only listed my Gen Bio II class under WSU’s biology prereq when I should’ve posted both. So basically I neglected to list general bio I. I realized this the other night when I randomly decided to go look at my application pdf (I was bored and anxious about decisions). I was verified and everything and both my bio courses are on my official transcript and in the classes I put in VMCAS. It’s just not added onto the WSU application prereqs. I also never got an email from WSU telling me I was missing a prereq, but I’m now really concerned this will disqualify my application from even being reviewed. I understand it’s so late to be realizing this since they’re doing OOS decisions soon, but just thought I’d jump on here and see if something similar has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any advice? I was planning on emailing them too just in case it could even help. Thank you!

It wasn’t washington but I was in a similar situation with another school I applied to last cycle. I applied to this school and days after I realized they technically required 8 credits of bio and I had only taken 4 (i literally still kick myself for not even noticing that before I applied). I panicked and emailed them about it and they worked with me on going through my science classes to see if I had one that could qualify for their req. the admissions department was so kind and went through every syllabus with me and we ended up finding enough credits for me to qualify for admission! I was waitlisted but eventually accepted(declined since I accepted elsewhere) just wanted to share what happened to me! You are absolutely 100% in a better position than I was so I would try not to worry about it and contact them on Monday. I feel your pain but admissions departments can be very very understanding! Best of luck!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It wasn’t washington but I was in a similar situation with another school I applied to last cycle. I applied to this school and days after I realized they technically required 8 credits of bio and I had only taken 4 (i literally still kick myself for not even noticing that before I applied). I panicked and emailed them about it and they worked with me on going through my science classes to see if I had one that could qualify for their req. the admissions department was so kind and went through every syllabus with me and we ended up finding enough credits for me to qualify for admission! I was waitlisted but eventually accepted(declined since I accepted elsewhere) just wanted to share what happened to me! You are absolutely 100% in a better position than I was so I would try not to worry about it and contact them on Monday. I feel your pain but admissions departments can be very very understanding! Best of luck!
That makes me feel so much better! Thank you so much! 🙂
 
Sorry if this has already been asked. But one of the schools told me that I can see the decision on my VMCAS portal after I enquired why I had never heard back when everyone else had. They did send me that decision in an email as well, but my question is, I thought we can't access the portal after a certain point? When I go to the VMCAS page there is nothing to click on. Am I crazy or is the portal really not able to be accessed like I always thought and as far as I can tell?
 
Sorry if this has already been asked. But one of the schools told me that I can see the decision on my VMCAS portal after I enquired why I had never heard back when everyone else had. They did send me that decision in an email as well, but my question is, I thought we can't access the portal after a certain point? When I go to the VMCAS page there is nothing to click on. Am I crazy or is the portal really not able to be accessed like I always thought and as far as I can tell?
VMCAS portal would never have your schools decisions. VMCAS shut down in October so they can prep for January cycle restarting.
 
Sorry if this has already been asked. But one of the schools told me that I can see the decision on my VMCAS portal after I enquired why I had never heard back when everyone else had. They did send me that decision in an email as well, but my question is, I thought we can't access the portal after a certain point? When I go to the VMCAS page there is nothing to click on. Am I crazy or is the portal really not able to be accessed like I always thought and as far as I can tell?
Are you sure they were talking about the vmcas portal and not a portal specific to their school?
 
I need to drop a class that was listed on my VMCAS for this semester. It’s not a requirement. Is that okay? Should I contact schools? I feel like since it’s not a requirement, they shouldn’t care?
 
I need to drop a class that was listed on my VMCAS for this semester. It’s not a requirement. Is that okay? Should I contact schools? I feel like since it’s not a requirement, they shouldn’t care?

I did the same thing last year and it worked out fine! I did call the schools I applied to to double check but they were all okay with it so I dont expect you’ll have any issues
 
I did the same thing last year and it worked out fine! I did call the schools I applied to to double check but they were all okay with it so I dont expect you’ll have any issues
I think I will call if I am accepted. Do you think that would be okay?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Planned courses are just that. Planned. They don’t know if you didn’t take it because you dropped it, changed your mind, or just didn’t get into the class with limited space. As long as it’s not a prereq or anything that was recommended by that school to take, don't bother telling them you’re not taking it.
 
Bleh. Hopefully this is my last time pulling this thread up lol.

Does anyone know if schools look down upon not being able to attend their info sessions?
Some schools really stress in their emails that they encourage attendance. Another school even made me do a form that said which events I will or won’t attend.

I can only make time to attend one session for each school that offers them even though each school offers about 3-6 different kinds. I try to look over them if they’re recorded. I’m hoping I don’t lose “points” for not attending. :\
 
Bleh. Hopefully this is my last time pulling this thread up lol.

Does anyone know if schools look down upon not being able to attend their info sessions?
Some schools really stress in their emails that they encourage attendance. Another school even made me do a form that said which events I will or won’t attend.

I can only make time to attend one session for each school that offers them even though each school offers about 3-6 different kinds. I try to look over them if they’re recorded. I’m hoping I don’t lose “points” for not attending. :\
I can only speak for my program, but no, we don’t consider things like that at all, and I would be surprised if others did. Those info sessions are for your benefit and for you to learn more about the program and how you see yourself fitting there. Not something to be evaluated.

I think my program does ask people to indicate which things they’ll attend, if any, but it’s to help figure out things like how many student ambassadors need to be there. Not to judge you on later.
 
I can only speak for my program, but no, we don’t consider things like that at all, and I would be surprised if others did. Those info sessions are for your benefit and for you to learn more about the program and how you see yourself fitting there. Not something to be evaluated.

I think my program does ask people to indicate which things they’ll attend, if any, but it’s to help figure out things like how many student ambassadors need to be there. Not to judge you on later.
Great news!! I have been feeling so guilty and this has eased me.