VMCAS Questions C/O 2017 (Post your questions here.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fly Racing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for people to ask all the general vmcas questions. I know many of us will have the same questions as we work on our applications this summer, so it would be great to have a Q and A thread as a resource!

Good luck to all this year!!

Members don't see this ad.

Good idea! ^_^ This way everything is in one place instead of multiple threads. I would be willing to help answer questions.

I have a double major and a minor, all from my undergrad.. A BS in Animal Science, Focus: Pre-Vet Medicine and Research, a BA in Biological Sciences and a minor in Companion Animal Sciences. So aren't they technically all my first degree? How do I list that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wahhh!! Never mind, I found my answer.. Sorry, VMCAs are just a LITTLE nerve wrecking for me

Yesss!!! Thanks for this thread!!! I had a lot of stupid formatting questions last year, so I'm glad that when they come up this year I have a place to post them!

Do most of you describe your experiences in "resume-like" format? A list? Does it even matter?

Do most of you describe your experiences in "resume-like" format? A list? Does it even matter?

I kind of did a little of both, and varied it based on how much time I spent in the experience. I always started with a short sentence to "frame" the information, then went into details. For shorter term experiences it was a lot more detail about specifically what I saw:
With a day of shadowing, I was introduced to the stunningly diverse jobs performed by zoological veterinarians. Procedures observed included:
- Virginia Opossum physical examinations & blood draw
- Two Great Horned Owl physical examinations & beak trims
- Reevaluation of chronic White Rhinoceros foot injury
- Administration of experimental eye drops to a California Sea Lion
- Grizzly Bear visual examination & feeding/enrichment

Whereas in my longer term experiences I was a little more detailed about what I did:
As a volunteer, I experienced many parts of this monthly intensive, high-volume feral cat spay/neuter clinic. Duties included:
- Animal intake, ensuring correct paperwork & documentation was provided
- Surgical preparation, including clipping/scrubbing surgical sites and other wounds
- Observation of spay/neuter surgery & unconscious animals
- Recovery monitoring of vital signs (temperature, heart & respiratory rate)
- Discharge of conscious animals to correct caretakers

Some people are a lot more hardcore about using every single character to describe the duties they did and using intense lists, while others are more descriptive. VMCAS themselves said here that there's not any particular "right" way of doing it. Here's another thread with more on the question from a while ago.

My undergrad degree is in art, so I have a lot of art history classes on my transcript. The instructions on the app say that art appreciation classes are considered to be "humanities" but history classes are "social science."

I've been listing them all as social science classes, but I figured I'd ask everyone on here. Why not, right?

My undergrad degree is in art, so I have a lot of art history classes on my transcript. The instructions on the app say that art appreciation classes are considered to be "humanities" but history classes are "social science."

I've been listing them all as social science classes, but I figured I'd ask everyone on here. Why not, right?

I listed my art history classes as Humanities. I think of Art History as closer to art appreciation or even literature than to history, so that was why I did it like that. My logic could be flawed, though!

I listed my art history classes as Humanities. I think of Art History as closer to art appreciation or even literature than to history, so that was why I did it like that. My logic could be flawed, though!

Lol. That's why I figured I'd ask people's opinions, because I see them closer to history. Art communicates and reflects a lot about a culture. As populations change and progress, their major art styles reflect that. I learned more about the history of peoples in art classes than I ever did in a general history class. But then again, I'm also very much a visual learner.

Lol. That's why I figured I'd ask people's opinions, because I see them closer to history. Art communicates and reflects a lot about a culture. As populations change and progress, their major art styles reflect that. I learned more about the history of peoples in art classes than I ever did in a general history class. But then again, I'm also very much a visual learner.

Oh, I definitely understand that! I learned more about Italian history in my class on Michelangelo than I ever did in a history class. But I also learned English history best from English literature classes. In my mind, literature and art are different ways of expressing one's reality and imagination. And since VMCAS says literature is clearly in Humanities, that's how I did it. I don't think you're wrong, and I certainly don't think a vet school would ding you for it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question that has been brought up a couple times, but always depends on the circumstances. Should I list the following as vet experience or animal experience?:

I've worked as a research assistant in a nutrition lab where we regularly have blood collections with various species. I work with phD and post-doc students on their project, and I do everything from helping collect, handling the animals, handling the blood, and the blood work in between. Since we are technically overseen by a "health professional," could these hours be vet or should I just leave them as animal (which I did last application)?

Your advice and responses are very much appreciated!!

I have a question that has been brought up a couple times, but always depends on the circumstances. Should I list the following as vet experience or animal experience?:

I've worked as a research assistant in a nutrition lab where we regularly have blood collections with various species. I work with phD and post-doc students on their project, and I do everything from helping collect, handling the animals, handling the blood, and the blood work in between. Since we are technically overseen by a "health professional," could these hours be vet or should I just leave them as animal (which I did last application)?

Your advice and responses are very much appreciated!!

Different schools will sort it differently - some veterinary, some animal, and some rank research separately - I personally approve of putting things in the highest category they're eligible for, so I'd put it in veterinary and let everyone re-sort it if they want to.

What category should I put my research experience under?
I'm helping a professor with his project. I am not paid, so I didn't think it would go under "Employment". He is not a vet, so it's not "Veterinary Experience", and the research is on people, so it's not going under "Animal Experience".
It's not an "Honor or Award", so all that leaves is "Community Activities", but that doesn't seem quite right either.

Help?

What category should I put my research experience under?
I'm helping a professor with his project. I am not paid, so I didn't think it would go under "Employment". He is not a vet, so it's not "Veterinary Experience", and the research is on people, so it's not going under "Animal Experience".
It's not an "Honor or Award", so all that leaves is "Community Activities", but that doesn't seem quite right either.

Help?

I would say Community Activities and then just be thorough in your explanation about what you actually do, that its to assist a professor, and since you're volunteering maybe say something about how he chose you specifically to help the project.

Different schools will sort it differently - some veterinary, some animal, and some rank research separately - I personally approve of putting things in the highest category they're eligible for, so I'd put it in veterinary and let everyone re-sort it if they want to.

:thumbup: I had this same question for VMCAS last year. I put any research under a PhD under veterinary experience since my top school of choice qualified that experience as such. VMCAS advised me to do the same. Schools understand that they each have different guidelines/requirements.

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'm not going to argue with increasing my vet experience!

Oh, I definitely understand that! I learned more about Italian history in my class on Michelangelo than I ever did in a history class. But I also learned English history best from English literature classes. In my mind, literature and art are different ways of expressing one's reality and imagination. And since VMCAS says literature is clearly in Humanities, that's how I did it. I don't think you're wrong, and I certainly don't think a vet school would ding you for it. :)

:thumbup::thumbup:

I minored in Photography, so I took some Art History - I think I agree with the "Social Science" classification for history.

Questions...
1) But I also took several actual art and photography classes (not history classes) - I think I should put this in "None of the above?" What do you guys think?

2) Also, two classes in undergrad and all my classes in grad school were Education classes (for example, some of them were about science education, some of them were equity in education, literacy in education, classroom management, etc.). So far I've also been putting all of them under "None of the above." Do you guys agree?

Thank You! :)

You know, pumpkinsmom, I would say art and photography classes sound like humanities to me!

I'm not really sure about the education classes you described though. Unless you can convince yourself they fall under sociology or something, I think "none of the above" might be best (?). Maybe try calling VMCAS (good luck) or just put it as none and let the schools sort it out the way they want!!

Worry not everyone, it looks like this year they've decided to include a whole host of research experiences pretty much all into VET EXPERIENCES! That whole weirdness last year was apparently a bust. I'm sure the individual schools will continue to sort it out themselves anyway, but great news is that you can now put it down guilt free as veterinary experience this year!

The instructions this year says:

List your veterinary experience, beginning wiht the most recent. The experiences you report in this item should be different from those entered for Animal and Employment experience. Veterinary experiences should relate to Any veterinary clinical, agribusiness, health science, OR research experiences that you have had with veterinarians, other health scientists, or other health professionals. When reporting hours, if you are unsure about the exact number, then estimate to the best of your ability.
(emphasis mine)

Sounds pretty inclusive to me.

How would you list a double minor? On my unofficial transcript, Honors Forum is listed as a minor, but I've already put my biology minor in that slot on the application. Or should I put Honors Forum under honors/awards or something instead?

How would you list working in a multi doctor practice? For the vet name, just enter the owner/main vet, or make separate entries for each vet you've worked with?

Also, I volunteer in the UFCVM... what should I put for a doctor name there? I was thinking just "ICU Staff" or something along those lines, because there are a ton of people around (and I don't really work closely with any vet in particular).

Also for research on dairy cows under post-doc students and a professor... vet experience? or animal? I'm not sure what "health scientists" entails.

Worry not everyone, it looks like this year they've decided to include a whole host of research experiences pretty much all into VET EXPERIENCES! That whole weirdness last year was apparently a bust. I'm sure the individual schools will continue to sort it out themselves anyway, but great news is that you can now put it down guilt free as veterinary experience this year!

The instructions this year says:

(emphasis mine)

Sounds pretty inclusive to me.

:soexcited: YAY!

How would you list working in a multi doctor practice? For the vet name, just enter the owner/main vet, or make separate entries for each vet you've worked with?

I put the owner for my multi doctor practice.

How would you list a double minor? On my unofficial transcript, Honors Forum is listed as a minor, but I've already put my biology minor in that slot on the application. Or should I put Honors Forum under honors/awards or something instead?

I would put it under awards! For one, there is no way to list a second minor with the drop down boxes (it would go in the explanation statement, which would give it less flair.) It does fit well into an award category. For comparison, I put my graduation honors under awards; it seems similar to me.

Also, I volunteer in the UFCVM... what should I put for a doctor name there? I was thinking just "ICU Staff" or something along those lines, because there are a ton of people around (and I don't really work closely with any vet in particular).

Also for research on dairy cows under post-doc students and a professor... vet experience? or animal? I'm not sure what "health scientists" entails.

When I've worked with 2 different vets from the same hospital, but from different specialties and clearly defined separate times (so not the same day, but rather the internist for last summer and then the surgeon for this summer.) The duties and skilled learned were completely different, so it made sense with all those factors to list them separately. Any time I "hopped" to another vet or specialty within those experiences, I did not list separately.

I would always put a doctor name. You don't want adcoms to think you couldn't even connect with a single doctor long enough to get their name! You could put "Dr. XXX/ICU Staff" if it fits the situation best.

Put the research under vet! Adcoms will move it if they disagree, but know one will hold against you for putting dairy cow research, because that's about as vet related as you get :)

Also, I volunteer in the UFCVM... what should I put for a doctor name there? I was thinking just "ICU Staff" or something along those lines, because there are a ton of people around (and I don't really work closely with any vet in particular)..

I had basically the same question (in UFCVM ICU :laugh:), and I would definitely list the doctor you interacted with the most. Before you apply, try to get to know one of the doctors a little better. Consider who has seen you work the most? Who have you helped with patients? In your explanation of duties, you can state that you worked with multiple doctors on a daily basis and I know ad coms will understand.

Any of you applying to VMRCVM? I'm thinking about applying now that they accept way more OOS applicants. Do you know if you need 2 labs with Organic Chemistry or just to fulfill the 8 hour requirement?

I have both Orgo 1 and 2 under my belt, but we only have a lab that corresponds with orgo 1 (EDIT: which I have taken). This gives me 10 hours in Ochem. I called admissions and left a message, but Joyce won't be back in her office until June 15 so I figured I might ask you guys! Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Any of you applying to VMRCVM? I'm thinking about applying now that they accept way more OOS applicants. Do you know if you need 2 labs with Organic Chemistry or just to fulfill the 8 hour requirement?

I have both Orgo 1 and 2 under my belt, but we only have a lab that corresponds with orgo 1. This gives me 10 hours in Ochem. I called admissions and left a message, but Joyce won't be back in her office until June 15 so I figured I might ask you guys! Any help appreciated!

I'm apply to VMRCVM too (IS though)! And yes you need the labs. Here's what it says on the website:

Organic Chemistry / 8
After completion of General or Introductory Chemistry, a two-semester sequence in Organic Chemistry with laboratories is required.

:)

I'm apply to VMRCVM too (IS though)! And yes you need the labs. Here's what it says on the website:

Organic Chemistry / 8
After completion of General or Introductory Chemistry, a two-semester sequence in Organic Chemistry with laboratories is required.

:)

Right... so having just the one lab wouldn't cut it if my school doesn't offer a lab for Ochem 2? Booooooo

I applied to VMRCVM last year with one lab for organic (though 2 credits), and they were fine with it. I would email just to make sure, but that's my experience (and I got an interview).

I applied to VMRCVM last year with one lab for organic (though 2 credits), and they were fine with it. I would email just to make sure, but that's my experience (and I got an interview).

Okay, cool! Thanks! I called, but if I don't hear a response by next week I'll email. My orgo lab was 2 credits as well.

I'll post what I find out just in case anyone else has this question!

Well, there you go....definitely wait for Joyce. :) :xf: Hope she okays it for you.

I shadowed shortly in like eight different areas of my teaching hospital, and I put "Various - See Explanation" and put all their names in the explanation section. However I was in different departments being supervised by different vets in each one, not just one with several vets, so it's a bit different.

When I shadowed at a multi-doctor clinic I put down the vets name that I shadowed the most and the one that signed off my vet hours verification form. Then for the multi-doctor clinic I worked at I put down the name of the vet that wrote me a letter of recommendation.

So google tells me other schools have things called Honors Forums, but if you went to where I think you went for undergrad based only on that, I would definitely put it as an honor/award. I think it's weird that it's listed as a minor, though I see why they do do it that way.

(Unless you went to a different undergrad than the obvious google search, in which case, I'd probably do that also anyways.)

Anyone know what to do if we still are participating in one of our experiences and will be when apps are due? I was thinking of just putting a projected end date? EDIT: Just kidding apparently projected end date is right. Didn't see that in the vet experience section but just saw it in the animal section.

Second question: I work at a wildlife rehab clinic that is attached to a vet hospital. We have a veterinarian that volunteers for us and can also use the vets next door. Last summer we had a vet in the clinic with us almost all the time because we were short staffed, but this year she's probably only there 1-2 hours a day. Since we're connected to a vet hospital, would you guys call all my hours there veterinary? Should I split the difference and list half as animal half as veterinary?

Last edited:
Would you guys classify Organic chemistry as lower division or upper division? the course is 2310, but I did take it as a junior like most people at my university. I will probably end up putting it under lower division, just wondering what you guys have done in the past.

Would you guys classify Organic chemistry as lower division or upper division? the course is 2310, but I did take it as a junior like most people at my university. I will probably end up putting it under lower division, just wondering what you guys have done in the past.

I put orgo as lower level.

I think I might have put it as lower on my first cycle (I never printed out the app so I didn't have a copy to look at the 2nd time around) and then upper my second cycle because at my school it was a 300 level course. Don't really think it made a difference.

I just strictly followed numbers when sorting them, so I put orgo as lower level.

I used the following:

100 and 200 courses as lower division
300 and 400 courses as upper division
500 and 600 courses as grad courses (at least at my undergrad that's how we had it)

Hope that helps some!

I took research for credit. Should I put it under whatever the research was in? or "other"?

Thank you! :)

Thanks for this thread! You guys are doing a great job with answering questions so far this year, and so far, I concur on all the questions being asked!

A couple of housekeeping notes for all of you:

~ University of California -Davis has restructured their admissions requirements. Make sure you review them if you are applying to UCD: http://www.aavmc.org/california.aspx

~ St. George's University has added a supplemental application. Here's the link to their supplemental app: https://apps.sgu.edu/website/bannerwebassets.nsf/admissions/SGUVMCAS.pdf

~ The VMCAS email is: [email protected]

~ The VMCAS Hotline is: 202-682-0750

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FOLKS! :)

Last edited: