VMCAS Questions C/O 2017 (Post your questions here.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I keep hearing from previous applicants that there used to be a section where you list all the undergrad colleges you applied to, along with whether or not you got accepted...did they take that out or am I overlooking it somewhere?
I think the only "past applications" section just applies to other vet school applications. I don't really see why they would need or want to know about your undergrad applications.

Members don't see this ad.

I keep hearing from previous applicants that there used to be a section where you list all the undergrad colleges you applied to, along with whether or not you got accepted...did they take that out or am I overlooking it somewhere?

Retro- You're absolutely right! They did take it out this year. Last year the question of all past applications was included. They required us to input all undergrad institutions that we had applied to regardless of whether or not we ever enrolled. So glad they took it out!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I took organic II during the summer - do I have to explain that in the explanation section? Or should I not bother?

Also, I haven't utilized the explanation section and that's making me nervous. Haha. Don't know why but I feel compelled to have everything filled out, silly I know! :oops:

Also, I haven't utilized the explanation section and that's making me nervous. Haha. Don't know why but I feel compelled to have everything filled out, silly I know! :oops:

Don't worry. I left mine blank.

Consider it a good thing if you don't need to use it. :thumbup:
That's not always the case, but it is not something you need to feel compelled to fill out by any means.

I couldn't find this previously mentioned in this thread, but I did skim quickly so I apologize if this turns out to be redundant.

I did a program in high school where you can enroll in a community college and have those count for double towards your future degree and your high school diploma. Has anyone else encountered what we're supposed to do? I'm having a lot of trouble with the "Institutions Attended" portion where they make you choose a major, a degree, a degree expected date. Would we list degree expected as our 1st degree obtained (ex. bachelor's) or the diploma? I initially put down "no major" but maybe it is more appropriate to list it as "other" and the specific program name?

Thanks in advance!

I am making one last thorough check through my application, but I am now debating with myself on how to categorize hours, so I was hoping for all of your opinions. I don't know whether to categorize volunteering at an animal shelter as vet hours or just animal hours. I did a lot of animal socializing but I also volunteered in the clinic. This work was directly supervised by a veterinarian. I am considering splitting the two. My clinic hours as vet hours and everything else as animal. As of now, I have them listed as animal hours. I made note that I worked in the clinic in the descriptions.

Also, I worked in a mouse re-derivation lab. My duties ranged from making stock solutions, extracting the uterine horns from pregnant mice for embryos, to preparing mice for embryo implantation surgery. This work was done under a tech. I am confused because I don't know if the tech counts as a health professional. I may stick to the side of caution and say animal hours.

Lastly, I had a work study job that involved animals. Should I include this in animal hours and then make note it was a work study position? Or include it as work experience? Your help is always appreciated!

I am making one last thorough check through my application, but I am now debating with myself on how to categorize hours, so I was hoping for all of your opinions. I don't know whether to categorize volunteering at an animal shelter as vet hours or just animal hours. I did a lot of animal socializing but I also volunteered in the clinic. This work was directly supervised by a veterinarian. I am considering splitting the two. My clinic hours as vet hours and everything else as animal. As of now, I have them listed as animal hours. I made note that I worked in the clinic in the descriptions.

Also, I worked in a mouse re-derivation lab. My duties ranged from making stock solutions, extracting the uterine horns from pregnant mice for embryos, to preparing mice for embryo implantation surgery. This work was done under a tech. I am confused because I don't know if the tech counts as a health professional. I may stick to the side of caution and say animal hours.

Lastly, I had a work study job that involved animals. Should I include this in animal hours and then make note it was a work study position? Or include it as work experience? Your help is always appreciated!

I didn't have the same experiences as you but I know that VMCAS states that "Veterinary experiences should relate to any veterinary clinical, agribusiness, health science, or research experiences that you have had with veterinarians, other health scientists, or other health professionals."
For me I classified it using those guidelines:
animal shelter=animal
veterinarian clinics=veterinarian
zoo=animal
etc.

I did a program in high school where you can enroll in a community college and have those count for double towards your future degree and your high school diploma. Has anyone else encountered what we're supposed to do? I'm having a lot of trouble with the "Institutions Attended" portion where they make you choose a major, a degree, a degree expected date. Would we list degree expected as our 1st degree obtained (ex. bachelor's) or the diploma? I initially put down "no major" but maybe it is more appropriate to list it as "other" and the specific program name?

If I understand what you're saying I think I did something slightly similar...I took classes as part of an Early Enrollment Program and basically I took them at my high school but they counted not only as high school credits but also credits through various colleges. When I listed them on my application I put them under the institution that I received credit for them and then chose 'no degree' for the major since I didn't obtain a degree at those schools. I know it's not exactly what you did but hopefully that helps somewhat!

Members don't see this ad :)

For the animal shelter/clinic I would split the hours. Estimate how many hours you spent on the clinic side and how many times you spent on the shelter side and put them in animal or vet experience as appropriate.

I would include the mouse stuff as veterinary. I would imagine even though you were working under a tech the lab was supervised by a vet phd, right?

If the work involves animals it should go in animal experience. You should put your experiences in the highest category that they apply to. Just like if you had a job as a vet tech that would go in vet experience instead of work experience. Only jobs that have nothing to do with animals should go in work experience.

I would put the work study as animal hours rather than work experience, based on the chart VMCAS has. Under health professional No, with animals Yes, so animal experience. (Hopefully this makes sense to people other than me)

I feel like we've been over this, but if come October 2 if I have 3 LORs submitted but a foirth still listed on my application, it is still considered complete and sent to schools, right?
Pretty sure I'm going to be in that situation.

I feel like we've been over this, but if come October 2 if I have 3 LORs submitted but a foirth still listed on my application, it is still considered complete and sent to schools, right?
Pretty sure I'm going to be in that situation.

Yes, I asked VMCAS directly about this. Your app will be sent to schools regardless of the status of the 4th LOR.

(See post # 369 of this thread)

Yes, I asked VMCAS directly about this. Your app will be sent to schools regardless of the status of the 4th LOR.

Awesome. So glad to hear that you asked them directly! I was going to try calling Monday if no one was sure, but guess I don't have to now!

I have two questions- first, I competed a BA in a liberal arts field, then went back to do my prereqs. I decided to go ahead and finish a Biology degree, because I only had to take a couple more classes beyond the prereqs to do so. So on the VMCAS application, do I list postbacc for my subsequent work after I was a college graduate, or do I list that I was a senior for 5 years because I was seeking a second undergrad degree?

Second, the first time I read instructions on the VMCAS site, I swear something stated that you had to explain the parental situation in the explanation section if you did not have information for one parent. Now I can't find this statement anywhere. I lost contact with a parent when I was still an undergrad, but will be nearly 30 years old at matriculation and don't see how that is relevant. I would prefer not to air the family dirty laundry if not required (unless its going to give me some kind of advantage I guess- I was at no fault in the situation). It did effect me financially, which effected me academically, though. So basically, has anyone else seen this statement in the instructions, or have any insight?

I have two questions- first, I competed a BA in a liberal arts field, then went back to do my prereqs. I decided to go ahead and finish a Biology degree, because I only had to take a couple more classes beyond the prereqs to do so. So on the VMCAS application, do I list postbacc for my subsequent work after I was a college graduate, or do I list that I was a senior for 5 years because I was seeking a second undergrad degree?

I was in a similar boat, and I listed everything after my degree as postbacc. I don't think it's going to matter one way or another, but if it bothers you, call VMCAS and ask.

Second, the first time I read instructions on the VMCAS site, I swear something stated that you had to explain the parental situation in the explanation section if you did not have information for one parent. Now I can't find this statement anywhere. I lost contact with a parent when I was still an undergrad, but will be nearly 30 years old at matriculation and don't see how that is relevant. I would prefer not to air the family dirty laundry if not required (unless its going to give me some kind of advantage I guess- I was at no fault in the situation). It did effect me financially, which effected me academically, though. So basically, has anyone else seen this statement in the instructions, or have any insight?

Under the "Parent/Guardian" section of your application at VMCAS, there is a little box in the upper righthand corner that says "INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS SECTION". The info in that pop-up give specific instructions that cover your situation. Basically, you use some filler info that they specify, and then you can opt to use the Explanation section if you feel it needs more explanation. In your situation, I'd use the filler info and not offer any more info, because I don't see how it would help your application. I'm sure it did effect you financially and academically, but ... eh ... I wouldn't go there.

I I'm sure it did effect you financially and academically, but ... eh ... I wouldn't go there.

Thanks, that was my hope. There's no good way to say it simply without sounding like I'm blaming, and a full fledged adult whining about not having been financially supported by parents is less than flattering :oops:

I am talking about my evolution to my studies to veterinary medicine in my personal statement, in which I briefly mention that I gained experiences due to financial considerations I had to make, that in turn ultimately put me on my path. Without sordid details :D

How should I list hobbies on VMCAS? Should I add a separate entry for each hobby or make one entry titled "hobbies" and list them all there? I don't know if I should explain each hobby or just write down something like "ride ATVs"...

Thanks, that was my hope. There's no good way to say it simply without sounding like I'm blaming, and a full fledged adult whining about not having been financially supported by parents is less than flattering :oops:

I am talking about my evolution to my studies to veterinary medicine in my personal statement, in which I briefly mention that I gained experiences due to financial considerations I had to make, that in turn ultimately put me on my path. Without sordid details :D

That sounds like a much more positive way to approach it!!

How should I list hobbies on VMCAS? Should I add a separate entry for each hobby or make one entry titled "hobbies" and list them all there? I don't know if I should explain each hobby or just write down something like "ride ATVs"...

If you think it's interesting I might include it. I noted my background as a pilot. I think hobbies are the kinds of things that might catch some interviewer's eye somewhere and lead to a great conversation when it turns out they share the hobby - so it's worth including one or two. But any more than that and it just sounds like you have too much time on yer hands. One or two can also help personalize the application.

I got asked in my kansas interview this past cycle what I do to relieve stress. I didn't mention any hobbies in my last application (reason # 124563 why I'm reapplying), so they were really interested to see if I was a real person. Of course I answered adequately, but this just shows that adcom's want to know that there is more to you than obsessing over veterinary medicine for the last however many years. With that said, I'm only including things I do on a regular basis and that help add to my character this time. For example, I've trained for and ran 4 half marathons in the past 2.5 years. I use the description field to expand on how this requires determination and provides a stress outlet.

I think I read in this thread that we should put AP credits in both coursework and tests? How did you put it in for coursework? (i.e. what semester?)

I think I read in this thread that we should put AP credits in both coursework and tests? How did you put it in for coursework? (i.e. what semester?)

According to VMCAS,
AP COURSES- You will need to list the AP courses in the coursework section under the first semester of your freshman year where the credits first transferred to. Select “No Grade” and list it as “Advanced Placement” under classification description.

I actually put mine under the semester before my freshman year because that's where they were listed on my transcript, since in other places, the instructions say to list everything exactly as it is on your transcript.

I actually DID talk about my family situation (in the explanation statement, not the PS) because it was directly related to my cruddy Freshman year GPA (in 1997, I too am a "full fledged adult" :)) which I have been working to improve since I got back into school. I didn't go into detail, but did include a sentence or two. It wasn't a financial issue though, just a stress issue....:rolleyes:

I put down all of the hobbies I do regularly, and I put them in groups. So, I put one experience as "Textile Arts" and included knitting, crocheting, sewing, pattern drafting, teaching friends to spin, etc. under that. For another I put "Theatre" and included acting, musical theatre, stage combat, technical lighting, set building, stage managing, etc. I didn't inlcude things like writing poetry, which I did steadily for a year or so, because it wasn't a serious hobby, even though I still do it occasionally.

I would say put down everything you do seriously, but don't split things up too much.

According to VMCAS,

I actually put mine under the semester before my freshman year because that's where they were listed on my transcript, since in other places, the instructions say to list everything exactly as it is on your transcript.

Thanks, I must have blatantly not read the instructions..

Also, for the GRE scores, should we enter the percentile scores from our original score reports or what ETS says the percentiles are now? (because now they have gone down :( ).

Also, for the GRE scores, should we enter the percentile scores from our original score reports or what ETS says the percentiles are now? (because now they have gone down :( ).

I would say your original score reports since that's what the school would have gotten, right? Unless ETS updates the school when percentiles change, which is possible.

I would say your original score reports since that's what the school would have gotten, right? Unless ETS updates the school when percentiles change, which is possible.

The thing is I took the GRE last summer and sent the scores a few weeks ago..

I put my new percentiles on the basis that that's what I see when I go to check my scores. So if I was just now filling out that part for the first time, it would have the lower percentile. It's accurate at time of submission.

I really hope that's not wrong, I just submitted last night.

I put my new percentiles on the basis that that's what I see when I go to check my scores. So if I was just now filling out that part for the first time, it would have the lower percentile. It's accurate at time of submission.

I really hope that's not wrong, I just submitted last night.

I assumed that was the case--I guess I just hoped it was wrong because my percentiles went down.

Thanks for your help!

I applied to Oregon and e-mailed my application, without asking them any questions (I had asked them a few weeks ago if one of my bio courses would fulfill a pre-req, and it does). I got an e-mail today confirming all my pre-reqs are satisfied. I thought that was really great to verify with an applicant what they are missing (i.e.: my VMCAS) and if everything is okay! Is this typical of Oregon?

Okay so did we ever figure out what to do about experience dates that will continue past the application submission?

I don't know whether to make the end dates for my current jobs Aug/Sept 2013 or leave them blank...the last thing I have to do before hitting submit!!!

Okay so did we ever figure out what to do about experience dates that will continue past the application submission?

I don't know whether to make the end dates for my current jobs Aug/Sept 2013 or leave them blank...the last thing I have to do before hitting submit!!!

I said August 2013 for anything that was going to continue. Just assume you'll be in vet school by then :D

I put May 2013 as the end for all the stuff I do with school, and left the end date blank for anything else continuing.

I put down all of the hobbies I do regularly, and I put them in groups. So, I put one experience as "Textile Arts" and included knitting, crocheting, sewing, pattern drafting, teaching friends to spin, etc. under that. For another I put "Theatre" and included acting, musical theatre, stage combat, technical lighting, set building, stage managing, etc. I didn't inlcude things like writing poetry, which I did steadily for a year or so, because it wasn't a serious hobby, even though I still do it occasionally.

I would say put down everything you do seriously, but don't split things up too much.

Ugh! I really wish I would have seen this conversation before submitting. I have a few other hobbies I could have included, like fishing or hunting, but I only put down softball because that was really the only "organized" hobby I had, if that makes sense.

HELP HELP HELP!

Just pulled up the pdf of my almost completed application and saw that one of my letter writers had taken it upon himself to edit his contact information to clarify his name. Names have been changed for this post, but lets say his name is Mr. John Smith. Upon printing his application, the evaluation now shows to have come from Mr. John John, George is my middle name Smith, Mr. I mean WHAT THE HECK. there is nothing I can do about this but I'm calling vmcas tomorrow to check anyway. Do you think this will impact my application? Will this reflect negatively? Will they not take me seriously after this? Will they throw my application out? Am I freaking out about nothing? This letter is from a professor with a masters degree who is the only person in this state qualified to teach a specific course i took and t.a'ed. I only have three letters of rec, and no I cannot edit the information or delete the submission and input it again. What do you guys think?

:boom: :barf:

add: i am not certain if it will show up as this in the adcom's view because it shows up correctly on the vmcas site without being expanded into the detailed format. ugh.

HELP HELP HELP!

Just pulled up the pdf of my almost completed application and saw that one of my letter writers had taken it upon himself to edit his contact information to clarify his name. Names have been changed for this post, but lets say his name is Mr. John Smith. Upon printing his application, the evaluation now shows to have come from Mr. John John, George is my middle name Smith, Mr. I mean WHAT THE HECK. there is nothing I can do about this but I'm calling vmcas tomorrow to check anyway. Do you think this will impact my application? Will this reflect negatively? Will they not take me seriously after this? Will they throw my application out? Am I freaking out about nothing? This letter is from a professor with a masters degree who is the only person in this state qualified to teach a specific course i took and t.a'ed. I only have three letters of rec, and no I cannot edit the information or delete the submission and input it again. What do you guys think?

:boom: :barf:

add: i am not certain if it will show up as this in the adcom's view because it shows up correctly on the vmcas site without being expanded into the detailed format. ugh.

Call VMCAS tomorrow and ask.

I can't say that I would be calm in your situation, but objectively I think it will be fine. The adcoms will probably think it's funny, and if it really says "my middle name" then they will assume the professor did it. They will have a good laugh about the professor and it will help them remember your application.

Call VMCAS tomorrow and ask.

I can't say that I would be calm in your situation, but objectively I think it will be fine. The adcoms will probably think it's funny, and if it really says "my middle name" then they will assume the professor did it. They will have a good laugh about the professor and it will help them remember your application.

:thumbup::thumbup:

No way anyone holds you (irrelephant23) responsible for it. Don't sweat it. If you can get it fixed (if you even need to do anything), great. If not, smile and know it'll just make somebody laugh a bit down the road. Which is always a good thing.

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better now after reading your responses and taking the time to think it over. I think that with all of the information in my application, even if it does reflect negatively on me in any way, it will not prevent me from having a competitive application like I had immediately thought. In second thought, this will help me stand out. :laugh: everyone should do this!

Just kidding, but you really did help me lighten up. Oh application stress. Almost done!

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better now after reading your responses and taking the time to think it over. I think that with all of the information in my application, even if it does reflect negatively on me in any way, it will not prevent me from having a competitive application like I had immediately thought. In second thought, this will help me stand out. :laugh: everyone should do this!

Just kidding, but you really did help me lighten up. Oh application stress. Almost done!

Call and ask. I doubt it would negatively affect you. Plus, once you submit a person for an eLOR, you can't change it only your writer can. So technically, this reflects back on your prof, not you. Either way, someone in the adcom is gonna get a good laugh.

Almost there! :D

I could not help but laugh, holy crap. I would say it will just look like he doesn't know how to use a computer. But seriously, bad enough saying "my middle name is", but having his first name and Mr. twice??? How did he even manage to put that in?

I could not help but laugh, holy crap. I would say it will just look like he doesn't know how to use a computer. But seriously, bad enough saying "my middle name is", but having his first name and Mr. twice??? How did he even manage to put that in?

To be honest, I'm not even sure haha. He is retired... :rolleyes:

When calculating research hours, what did you guys do?

Do we include hours for writing our proposal and thesis, analyzing and interpreting data, literature searches, etc? Or do we only include the hours we are physically around the animals/organisms collecting data?

Thanks!

You can use all the hours you were actively working on the project.