This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kddong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in a dilemma. I want my spring grades to count, but I have also heard that applying as early as possible would be extremely advantageous. I am on the quarter system and and will most likely have spring grades come out in late June before I can send out my transcript.

I have a 3.67 cGPA and a 3.76 sGPA. I will most likely be getting all A's this quarter and with those grades factored in, I would have a 3.71 cGPA and a 3.80 sGPA.

Would it be worth it to wait or nah? Help plz. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think submitting an earlier application is more important than having the slightly higher cGPA and sGPA. Your spring quarter grades may not be on your transcript until mid/end of June so your transcript would not arrive at AMCAS until the end of June/early July even if you rush deliver it.

Plus your sGPA is solid as is so going from 3.76 sGPA to 3.80 sGPA isn't a significant difference in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies! I've decided to submit without spring grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! I've decided to submit without spring grades.
First, check to be sure college Registrar will release transcripts this close to the end of a term, as some won't.

Second, be sure you already have the 90 semester hour equivalents that many med schools require for consideration of your file.

Third, if you are applying to Texas public schools, you are obliged to wait until the current term grades are posted, by TMDSAS policy.

Just thought I'd mention some issues that could affect your decision-making.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say wait. While there isn't a big difference between 3.67 and 3.71 (0.04), there is a psychological bump between 3.69 and 3.70 that could put you in a different bin at some schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Was about to submit transcript, but found out I have a hold :lame:

@LizzyM would this "psychological bump" apply to my sGPA (3.76->3.80) as well? I am a CA resident and while it's hard to give definitive answers, I'd like to maximize my chances at attending a UC (haven't heard that one before right? lol). In your opinion would applying early or waiting till late June with a higher GPA be better?

I guess to offset submitting later, I will try to have secondaries pre-written.

In theory, would I probably have my transcript verified by mid to late July? Thanks for your help everyone!