This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love_of_lox

Reaction score
Hello! In addition to an assessment of my chances, I would really, really appreciate any information on unspoken preferences/recommendations, e.g. very community service-oriented, research-heavy, very social justice-focused, draws heavily from its own undergrads, etc.

Other information: Not URM/ORM, Oregon resident, Smith College in MA for undergrad, recent Fulbright Fellow (research), currently working as a scribe and an RA, ~3000 hours as a scribe in Family Medicine and interventional pain management, 450 hours of nonclinical volunteering with charitable orgs + 350 hours of volunteering as an MCAT tutor, ~75 hours of OB/GYN shadowing, interested in geriatrics with ongoing relevant volunteer experience and just completed training to volunteer with a local hospice program. 75th - 100th percentile on CASPer.

MD:
OHSU (1st choice; reapplying, interviewed last cycle --> rejection and still waiting on feedback)
BU
U Mass
Tufts
Drexel
Lewis Katz
Georgetown University
Hackensack
Rutgers
U Michigan @ Ann Arbor
Sidney Kimmel
New York Medical College
Hofstra
University of Toledo
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Miami
Wake Forest
Western Michigan University
University of Central Florida
University of Louisville
Ohio State
Morsani College of Medicine

DO:
Western University
Pacific Northwest University
New York Institute of Technology
Touro

Cutting myself a little bit of slack and aiming to complete 20+.

Am I overselling myself? Underselling myself? Any additions or substitutions to recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rutgers, Louisville, Toledo accept few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Case Western
St. Louis
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola

Rutgers, Louisville, Toledo accept few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Case Western
St. Louis
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Excellent recommendations -- thank you. I applied to many of them last cycle (Einstein, Rochester, St. Louis), and I was considering reapplying at Rochester (interviewed last year, still on the waitlist). At others (Case Western, Mount Sinai), I'm only "average," and at this point, I would rather get in somewhere than hold out for a T20.

All of the schools on my list accept > 1% of OOS applicants which, unfortunately, is pretty good. Are you confident that Rutgers, Louisville, and Toledo require unusually strong ties for OOS students? Because that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Half of Toledo's non resident admitted are from Michigan. Usually non residents admitted have some connection to the state or region (ie: former resident, legacy, attended undergraduate school in the state, URM, etc.)

Half of Toledo's non resident admitted are from Michigan. Usually non residents admitted have some connection to the state or region (ie: former resident, legacy, attended undergraduate school in the state, URM, etc.)
That's useful information. I'll consider taking Toledo off of my list. Do you know if the same is true of Rutgers and Louisville?

That's useful information. I'll consider taking Toledo off of my list. Do you know if the same is true of Rutgers and Louisville?
Yes, I was referring to all 3 schools. You have several OOS public schools that you are applying to that admit many non residents such as U Michigan, Ohio State and USF Morsani so you could receive interviews at those schools. Colorado and Iowa are also somewhat OOS friendly.