This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CK1212

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted some help identifying what schools I would have a good chance at in this upcoming cycle, and also help identifying any glaring weaknesses in my application.

Ethnicity: Armenian
Undergrad school: UCLA (two gap years before matriculating)
State of Residence: California
GPA: ~3.93 cGPA, ~3.89 sGPA
MCAT: 518 (130/129/129/130)

Clinical volunteering: about 400 hours (and ongoing, probably around 450-500 by app time) at my University's hospital, split about evenly between volunteering in the Radiation Oncology department and helping patients/families get around the medical center. About to begin volunteering at my local hospital (expecting about 80-100 hours by application time, and continuing this position until matriculation)

Employment:
Worked for a math tutoring company, tutoring kids in grade school through high school seniors (~1000 hours).
Finishing training as an ER scribe and beginning next week (~500-600 hours by time of applications).

Shadowing experience:
~40 hours with an Interventional Cardiologist at both a private clinic and in his associated hospital. About to begin shadowing an Oncologist, probably around the same amount of hours by app time.

Research experience:
~400-500 hours of synthetic Organic Chemistry experience at my Community College (pretty sure it's the only CC in the nation with research). Worked on synthesis, purification, and identification of molecules carrying payloads of an anti-oxidant and anti-fungal drug. No pubs. Presented research at school, and helped make a poster that was presented at a research conference (was not able to attend conference personally).

Extracurricular hobbies:
Basketball- been playing since I was a kid up until now. Competed in organized Armenian basketball tournaments, intramural tournaments at school, and was a featured columnist on Bleacherreport for ~2 years
Powerlifting- Was part of my school's Powerlifting team, and have continued Powerlifting after graduating. About to compete in my first individual meet this upcoming Spring.

Other:
~150 hours tutoring local high school students in high school math and chemistry

LOR:
Going to have one amazing science letter, expecting a second decent science letter, and a letter from my volunteering work. Fingers crossed that I'll be able to get a really good letter through my scribe work as well.

Any input is more than welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

I could see you getting into a mid tier possibly T20. Someone else will have a better school list

Very strong app. Apply to all CA schools (leave out north state and Loma Linda unless you particularly feel strongly about them, and omit riverside unless you’re from the inland empire). Apply to any top 20s that strike your fancy (which should be most to all of them). Round out the list with solid mid tiers like Rochester Emory Einstein case western Miami Hofstra and maybe UVA.

I might also recommend getting some outpatient shadowing exposure as IC is a very niche field of medicine so broader exposure might help you articulate why medicine in your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strong stats, strong ECs. Very strong T20 candidate. For mid-tiers I recommend
-U Cincinnati
-OSU
-Einstein
-Hofstra
-Miami
-Rochester
-BU
-CWRU
-Western Michigan
-Emory
-Dartmouth
-USC
-UVA

With those mid-tiers, your state schools, and Top 20s of your choice, you should see several interviews.

Strong stats, strong ECs. Very strong T20 candidate. For mid-tiers I recommend
-U Cincinnati
-OSU
-Einstein
-Hofstra
-Miami
-Rochester
-BU
-CWRU
-Western Michigan
-Emory
-Dartmouth
-USC
-UVA

With those mid-tiers, your state schools, and Top 20s of your choice, you should see several interviews.

This looks like a solid list and about the range of what I was thinking about too. Thank you!

Very strong app. Apply to all CA schools (leave out north state and Loma Linda unless you particularly feel strongly about them, and omit riverside unless you’re from the inland empire). Apply to any top 20s that strike your fancy (which should be most to all of them). Round out the list with solid mid tiers like Rochester Emory Einstein case western Miami Hofstra and maybe UVA.

I might also recommend getting some outpatient shadowing exposure as IC is a very niche field of medicine so broader exposure might help you articulate why medicine in your interviews.
Thank you for the help! Two people so far with nearly identical school lists so I'm getting a good idea of where I should be looking at

Reactions: 1 user