This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wannabeadentistbaby

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Help! Should I apply to more schools? I was hesitant to apply to schools that I would not attend if it was my only acceptance. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thank you! PS please be nice on my thread.

Date of submission: AADSAS submitted 6/18
Overall GPA: 3.52
DAT score: 24 AA

LOR type and strength: four strong letters from a biology professor, a history professor, a dentist I shadowed, and my work boss; one mediocre letter from another biology professor (needed another science and did not form as good of a relationship due to COVID - this letter is not bad by any means, just a little basic.)
 
Last edited:
Hey! I would recommend applying to more schools. OOS is difficult on its own, and Texas schools are more difficult than that - but it sounds like you understand that. Also, Harvard has an average GPA of 3.9+, so they obviously care a lot about that. Overall, I would recommend maybe adding some more. S_Diamond_DDS has a good list below.

We have relatively similar stats, so it will be exciting to see where you end up!
 
Last edited:
Hey! I would recommend applying to more schools. OOS is difficult on its own, and Texas schools are more difficult than that - but it sounds like you understand that. Also, your two private schools are fairly difficult to get into, so I would recommend maybe adding some more.

agreed
OP basically applied to 3 schools...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I count 2 strong selections- LSU and penn. Typically, I recommend 8-10 IS/oos friendly schools for someone with your profile. Cheaper schools that are still relatively oos friendly are: the AT stills, umich, pitt, uconn (but uconn has a small class size, thus less chance here), western (75% of class from CA, so less chance here). Since you have a high DAT- columbia might be an option. I also believe it’s always good to add some number of private schools (in your case several) with large class sizes to your list as safety schools, pick your poison: MWU-IL, UDM, BU, roseman, Tufts, Nyu, usc, lecom, nova, une, creighton, case, temple, (touro I think)
 
Yes apply to more schools, you chose a very narrow school list. I would apply to 5 more Programs that accept OOS and are Private (Cost more)