Washington State Univeristy c/o 2025 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know if WSU accepts UCSD/UCD online extension course as prereq?
I would contact them directly-everything is wonky with COVID-see stacey&Kt info above

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if admissions will be in the office this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if admissions will be in the office this week?
I received a reply to my weekend email this morning (from KT), so yeah they're still in the office as of today.

Great, thanks. I emailed then realized they might not be there.

OOS Denial in the mail today, postmarked 12/8/2020. I got into Oregon State Though! Kind of wish it was reversed since Washington has better wildlife.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to anyone interviewing at USU next week!! I've been doing some practice questions/interviews and feel super excited, but also super nervous, especially since it's over Zoom! Sending good vibes out to everyone! 🙏❤️

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I just got an acceptance call from Dr. Talcott!! (IS offer for Utah campus) I'm crossing my fingers for everyone! ❤️

Reactions: 12 users
I just got an acceptance call from Dr. Talcott!! (IS offer for Utah campus) I'm crossing my fingers for everyone! ❤️
Congrats! Did they also send an email? Just trying to figure out if there is still hope or if all accepted applicants were called yesterday.

Congrats! Did they also send an email? Just trying to figure out if there is still hope or if all accepted applicants were called yesterday.
I just got the phone call. Dr. Talcott said they would be sending out acceptance letters too later this week.

Has anyone else finished their interview? I had mine today and... oof. This was definitely the toughest interview I’ve done, and I’ve had a lot of interviews this cycle! I’m interested to know what other people thought about their experience. Good luck to everyone who still has to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else finished their interview? I had mine today and... oof. This was definitely the toughest interview I’ve done, and I’ve had a lot of interviews this cycle! I’m interested to know what other people thought about their experience. Good luck to everyone who still has to go!
Mine is next Monday, ahhh you got me so nervous now:eek:

Don't be nervous!! You got this!! ☺ I agree with @vetsquared - it was tough and afterwards I regretted half the things I said lol, but Dr. Talcott even said at the beginning of the interview that there are no right or wrong answers 😊 Google some of the past WSU interview questions for practice and be up to date on current events in vet med. Otherwise, just be confident, smile and be yourself! 💕

Edit: oh and don't be intimidated if your interviewers dont show much emotion or reaction to your answers. My panel was completely dead-pan the entire time 😂

I wouldn’t say any of the questions were that scary, it was more just the style of the interview. I’d call it like speed-MMI haha. But none of the actual questions were tricky or gotchas, just be prepared for literally no conversation, follow ups, or even an opportunity for you to ask questions. It took me by surprise because it isn’t an MMI interview, but it felt more like the MMIs I’ve done than a traditional panel interview.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
it was tough and afterwards I regretted half the things I said lol
This is a consistent sentiment in c/o 2024 Logan. We're convinced at this point that if you weren't awkward and uncomfortable during your interview, they passed on you for one of us weirdos. :rofl:
My panel was completely dead-pan the entire time 😂
I'm not sure who was doing interviews this year aside from a physiology prof, but he's a great guy and is really the nicest! I'm sure they have to be serious because it's a formal interview so don't let it dissuade you from USU! It is a fantastic program and the professors really do care about both you and your education.

• Haha
This is a consistent sentiment in c/o 2024 Logan. We're convinced at this point that if you weren't awkward and uncomfortable during your interview, they passed on you for one of us weirdos. :rofl:

I'm not sure who was doing interviews this year aside from a physiology prof, but he's a great guy and is really the nicest! I'm sure they have to be serious because it's a formal interview so don't let it dissuade you from USU! It is a fantastic program and the professors really do care about both you and your education.
Hahaha I'm not worried, I just remember walking out of the interview feeling so dazed...like "what on earth just happened?!" 😂

I'm here at USU for my undergrad and actually work in a lab just down the hall from the physiology professor. I always waved and said hi, but never talked to him until the interview 😅. Everyone at USU is so nice! I love it here. You're at the Logan campus then??

You're at the Logan campus then?
Yeah, I'm a first year here. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I glance here occasionally when I'm avoiding lectures. Haha.

Oh! And congratulations!

Last edited:
  • Love
I had my interview this morning too and I can relate with what vetsquared said. I didn’t know what to think when they didn’t ask me if I had any questions for them at the end. I honestly thought they didn’t like me and didn’t care about if I had questions or not, so I’m glad to hear I wasn’t the only one with the same situation.
I’m also curious if there are any current vet students who thought they had a bad interview but actually got accepted? I’m trying really hard not to tear myself up over the interview after the fact but I can’t help but overthink and criticize my answers to the interview questions.

I had my interview this morning too and I can relate with what vetsquared said. I didn’t know what to think when they didn’t ask me if I had any questions for them at the end. I honestly thought they didn’t like me and didn’t care about if I had questions or not, so I’m glad to hear I wasn’t the only one with the same situation.
I’m also curious if there are any current vet students who thought they had a bad interview but actually got accepted? I’m trying really hard not to tear myself up over the interview after the fact but I can’t help but overthink and criticize my answers to the interview questions.
Hi, I am a current third year. I still remember my interview and feeling awful when I came out of it. The more I thought about how it went the more discouraged I made myself feel. So there is hope as far as feeling bad about your interview and still getting accepted.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks, I really needed to hear that. I know we’re our own worst critics so it helps to get validated on these feelings!

This is both super scary and super good to know in advance - I have my interview next Monday. Sort of glad to hear they didn't ask if I had any questions, because I was stressing about trying to come up with something good to ask. This will be my first interview though so...:oops:

My interview is coming up Monday too and now I’m nervous 😬 for those who interviewed already, do they expect short and sweet answers so they can move on to the next? And are the questions stereotypical interview questions? My interview with Kansas only had a few questions that I felt were standard for any interviews, but a lot of ethical questions too or questions about my opinions on certain things in vet med

My interview is coming up Monday too and now I’m nervous 😬 for those who interviewed already, do they expect short and sweet answers so they can move on to the next? And are the questions stereotypical interview questions? My interview with Kansas only had a few questions that I felt were standard for any interviews, but a lot of ethical questions too or questions about my opinions on certain things in vet med
First off, you got this!! ☺ and yes, I felt like they wanted short and sweet. Make sure you answer the question well, but sometimes I tend to ramble a bit or repeat myself, and when that happened during my interview, I felt like I could see their eyebrows twitching a bit lol. Like everyone has been saying, this really didnt feel much like an easy going conversation, so focus on what they asked and don't try to say more than that. There were some questions about me as a person, like about personality traits and such, but by far the majority of the questions were ethical/situational questions.

I'm excited for all of you interviewing next week!! I'm crossing my fingers for yooouuuu!!

First off, you got this!! ☺ and yes, I felt like they wanted short and sweet. Make sure you answer the question well, but sometimes I tend to ramble a bit or repeat myself, and when that happened during my interview, I felt like I could see their eyebrows twitching a bit lol. Like everyone has been saying, this really didnt feel much like an easy going conversation, so focus on what they asked and don't try to say more than that. There were some questions about me as a person, like about personality traits and such, but by far the majority of the questions were ethical/situational questions.

I'm excited for all of you interviewing next week!! I'm crossing my fingers for yooouuuu!!
Thank you!!!! And I have the same issue, I rambled so much with Kansas and I was so nervous I can’t even remember half of what I said! So I definitely need to remember to take a second and have an actual put together answer for Washington.

For all of you interviewing next week, is that oos interviews or is?

Idk how much zoom plays into it but for the pullman campus interviews my interview was pretty conversational towards the end. So I think it's totally variable on who your interviewers are!

Waitlisted 🙃 bitter sweet, lol, but now I feel like I'm in a weird limbo where I'm not sure if I should hold out or jump on my acceptance elsewhere. There are only 20 in-state Utah seats so idk how likely it is someone will pass and I'm not sure where I'm at on the list.....

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted 🙃 bitter sweet, lol, but now I feel like I'm in a weird limbo where I'm not sure if I should hold out or jump on my acceptance elsewhere. There are only 20 in-state Utah seats so idk how likely it is someone will pass and I'm not sure where I'm at on the list.....
Put a deposit down wherever you were accepted and if you get pulled from the waitlist, worse case is you lose a few hundred bucks (which, while a lot, is nothing compared to vet school loans so does it really matter in the long run?)

take the acceptance, and if you get in off the waitlist, great
if not, bask in the fact that you're going to vet school (and if you're going to the Carribbean, realize that while everyone is freezing their butts off in Pullman in their 3rd year, you'll be sitting on a beach in a far away land)

Good luck to anyone interviewing today!! Let us know how it goes! <3
Just finished mine! They were very nice and it was more conversational than I expected although I didn’t have time to ask my own questions. Does anybody know how many people got interviews for Pullman campus?

• Love
Just finished mine! They were very nice and it was more conversational than I expected although I didn’t have time to ask my own questions. Does anybody know how many people got interviews for Pullman campus?
I wanna say 300??? iirc interview for oos spots at which time you preference ut vs pullman vs both. You can check the admissions stats breakdown page for the specific info over the years

Well, that happened...I ended up with a question that led me to mention a negative experience with a veterinarian I went to in the past who told me I could bring my 12 week old puppy to the dog park...I mentioned that I want to reserve judgment on my colleagues and that it might be a misunderstanding but I’m worried that that totally violated the rules of professionalism nonetheless.

But overall the interview was great! Some situational and some personal experience questions, both interviewers were very friendly. I love this school so fingers crossed.

Just done with mine. It was more conversational and friendly than I had been preparing myself for! Definitely not deadpan faces for sure.

At the start of the interview they said about 8 questions for 25min, but it sort of got sidetracked after I asked the question about research opportunities...I think we went through 4 or 5 questions apart from that one. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not, I was hoping for more ethical questions and situational questions, which are my stronger suit, but yeah another interview done!

@sophacles , @hailauren, @Ariel-Li I'm glad all your interviews seemed to go well! Glad they seemed to be more friendly lol :lol: Maybe they were just trying to intimidate us Utah folk haha. When do y'all hear back?
Thank you! The person in the check-in room gave a time frame I think but honestly I was so anxious I forgot it right away. I do remember she said we would most likely get notified by mail

• Haha
@sophacles , @hailauren, @Ariel-Li I'm glad all your interviews seemed to go well! Glad they seemed to be more friendly lol :lol: Maybe they were just trying to intimidate us Utah folk haha. When do y'all hear back?

Thank you! The person in the check-in room gave a time frame I think but honestly I was so anxious I forgot it right away. I do remember she said we would most likely get notified by mail

My breakroom guy said mail in about 3 weeks, my interviewer said decision should be out in 2-3 weeks, means of delivery not mentioned.

Reactions: 1 users
Would those that have interviewed say that they focused questions on the specialty that you have the most experience in/planning on going into?
Most of my experience is with lab animals and I said that’s what I wanted to go into on my app. While I do have some experience in small animal and shelter medicine, I would feel way less worried if they focused on the stuff I have the most knowledge on.😩

Would those that have interviewed say that they focused questions on the specialty that you have the most experience in/planning on going into?
Most of my experience is with lab animals and I said that’s what I wanted to go into on my app. While I do have some experience in small animal and shelter medicine, I would feel way less worried if they focused on the stuff I have the most knowledge on.😩
I didn’t get any knowledge questions

I didn’t get any knowledge questions or questions about specific parts of my application. It was very impersonal. Mostly ethical/behavioral/situational questions. I’m glad some of you guys had better experiences! I definitely didn’t get warm and fuzzies from my interview. Maybe they’ve lightened up since I went on one of the first days? Lol

• Haha
I didn’t get any knowledge questions or questions about specific parts of my application. It was very impersonal. Mostly ethical/behavioral/situational questions. I’m glad some of you guys had better experiences! I definitely didn’t get warm and fuzzies from my interview. Maybe they’ve lightened up since I went on one of the first days? Lol
Totally depends on who is on your panel. My first time interviewing was a very negative experience and the second time was a really good one.

I felt like none of the questions they asked me were specific to my application at all....they were all rather generic. All the situational questions were just random as well- like there was one about a horse (even though I've only had clinic experience with SA's), but they're look at our ethics and ability to reason through a situation, rather than technical knowledge about a specific field I think. Don't stress about it 😊

I didn't get any knowledge questions. The ethics question I got was related to SA general practice, I don't know whether that's related to my experience at all. I have zero LA experience. The interview was open file.

Just got the call from Dr. Talcott! I’ve been accepted to start this fall. I can’t believe it! ❤️❤️❤️

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Just got the call from Dr. Talcott! I’ve been accepted to start this fall. I can’t believe it! ❤️❤️❤️
congratulations!! ahh!! are you IS or OOS? i’m interviewing OOS on thursday!