WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright, I just sent off my secondary to WCU-COM. Here is my breakdown:

Living in NC currently (from Alaska)
MCAT= 24M (8,8,8)
sGPA= 3.25
GPA= 3.06
1000+ hours of volunteering
Phlebotomist *(employer wrote me a stellar reference letter)

What do you accepted and current WCU-COM students think? Do you think I might be offered an interview? Oh, I might mention I had to put myself through college and thus worked to pay for every semester of undergrad. What are your thoughts? I saw on the web site that they referenced God a couple of times. Is God a big part of their mission?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, I just sent off my secondary to WCU-COM. Here is my breakdown:

Living in NC currently (from Alaska)
MCAT= 24M (8,8,8)
sGPA= 3.25
GPA= 3.06
1000+ hours of volunteering
Phlebotomist *(employer wrote me a stellar reference letter)

What do you accepted and current WCU-COM students think? Do you think I might be offered an interview? Oh, I might mention I had to put myself through college and thus worked to pay for every semester of undergrad. What are your thoughts? I saw on the web site that they referenced God a couple of times. Is God a big part of their mission?

Thanks

I was accepted with very similar stats. Also, your hours are a lot more than mine and your clinical experience is great. They like people from the southeast (I am from NW Florida) as far as I know so as long as you want to be in the southeast you should be ok. As far as the religious references I do know it's a Baptist university but I don't think you need to be super religious or show that you are to be accepted.

Well I hope they like what they see in my application! Congratulations on your acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, a bunch of folks got accepted and this thread when silent! In my previous post I was misinformed. Here are my actual stats:

sGPA = 3.17
GPA = 3.14

I was wondering, I am a Sociology major and I have an opportunity to take some extra courses this semester (I just have one Soc requirement then I have my degree, but I still want to attend school full time). Should I redo Physics II and Organic Chem II (received a "C" in both) or should I take something else along the line of a behavior science like Abnormal Psychology? This question is totally open to anyone reading this post (i.e. premeds, MS, WCU admission personnel [if you guys read this thread like some school's admission's staff do]). Thanks in advance!

Wow, a bunch of folks got accepted and this thread when silent! In my previous post I was misinformed. Here are my actual stats:

sGPA = 3.17
GPA = 3.14

I was wondering, I am a Sociology major and I have an opportunity to take some extra courses this semester (I just have one Soc requirement then I have my degree, but I still want to attend school full time). Should I redo Physics II and Organic Chem II (received a "C" in both) or should I take something else along the line of a behavior science like Abnormal Psychology? This question is totally open to anyone reading this post (i.e. premeds, MS, WCU admission personnel [if you guys read this thread like some school's admission's staff do]). Thanks in advance!

I'm not the best source for you, but I would think that retaking that organic course would be beneficial. Then again, organic is hard and a whole lot of people get a C in them for sure. Upper-level biology classes are great to take for applying to medical schools, so maybe think about one of those? Something like molecular, developmental, pathology, ect. Hope this helps!

Those of us who interviewed the last week or so find out a decision Friday :xf: To add to my freak-out mode, does anyone know of a case where someone got flat-out denied? Obviously it happens, there's just very little talk of it.

I'm such a spaz.

Those of us who interviewed the last week or so find out a decision Friday :xf: To add to my freak-out mode, does anyone know of a case where someone got flat-out denied? Obviously it happens, there's just very little talk of it.

I'm such a spaz.

They told us at our interview, as I'm sure they told yall, that they are very selective with their secondaries and even more so with the interviews. They won't interview you if they are not already very interested. They even went as far as saying they just want to make sure you're not an "axe murderer." So if you hung up the axe a while back and felt the interview went decently then you're probably fine! Good luck on Friday..I hope its good news!

They told us at our interview, as I'm sure they told yall, that they are very selective with their secondaries and even more so with the interviews. They won't interview you if they are not already very interested. They even went as far as saying they just want to make sure you're not an "axe murderer." So if you hung up the axe a while back and felt the interview went decently then you're probably fine! Good luck on Friday..I hope its good news!

Hahahaha thanks, I did :D. They told us that, too (which makes a rejection worse if you think about it...). I think it went decent, but I'll second-guess things no matter what I suppose. There was no booing or anything of the sort. I'll keep posted!

cant wait to get down there a week from monday

ACCEPTED!!! :soexcited:
So incredibly excited to get to be a part of this school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my secondary application receipt in the mail so that means they have my secondary and have cashed my check! I hope they like what they see.

Interview invite for 2/28!!! BEYOND ECSTATIC BECAUSE I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. I really didn't think I had a chance applying so late (I submitted my secondary in Jan) and with my below par MCAT I'm on cloud 9 right now! Good luck to everyone else applying this cycle!

Interview invite for 2/28!!! BEYOND ECSTATIC BECAUSE I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. I really didn't think I had a chance applying so late (I submitted my secondary in Jan) and with my below par MCAT I'm on cloud 9 right now! Good luck to everyone else applying this cycle!

Congrats!!! They liked what they saw :) Good luck with the interview!

We have starting trying to match up those who are interviewing with current WCU-COM students who are from the same home town, college,ect. Be sure to fill out the questionaire (sp) to help us make your interview at WCU as stress free as possible.

anyone else interviewing tomorrow? im driving down today from nashville

Congrats!!! They liked what they saw :) Good luck with the interview!

Thank you! Fingers crossed!! :D

Good luck to everyone interviewing soon! Interview feedback will be appreciated!

Thank you! Fingers crossed!! :D

Good luck to everyone interviewing soon! Interview feedback will be appreciated!

I interviewed on January 10th, and it was super stress-free. They won't throw anything ridiculous at you, and they try to make you as comfortable as possible. Look over the interview feedback section on this site (under "Reference Material" at the top), and you're golden. I looked over those questions and my AACOMAS to prepare. Most important, just relax (easier said than done) and be yourself!! You'll do great!:thumbup:

i got a pretty tough ethics question. wasnt expecting that

I interviewed on January 10th, and it was super stress-free. They won't throw anything ridiculous at you, and they try to make you as comfortable as possible. Look over the interview feedback section on this site (under "Reference Material" at the top), and you're golden. I looked over those questions and my AACOMAS to prepare. Most important, just relax (easier said than done) and be yourself!! You'll do great!:thumbup:

Thank you for the advice!! I hope I make it!!

i got a pretty tough ethics question. wasnt expecting that

If there is anything I am worried about as far as the interview is concerned..its those ethical questions! Hope it all ends up working out in your favor.

Where did you stay? I'm looking for a cheap hotel but can't decide.

Where did you stay? I'm looking for a cheap hotel but can't decide.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they would let one sub-par ethics answer keep you out, especially if everything else looks good. They know you're nervous and maybe not thinking perfectly straight. They will also teach us the proper medical ethics somewhere down the road, so no one stress!

I stayed at the Days Inn right off of Hardy Street. It was cheap, clean, and quiet. Perfect for a quick stay. Where are you driving in from?

i stayed in the microtel off i59. $76ish for a single for a night.

im pretty sure i did ok on the ethics question. i said morally i would want to do one thing but legally and ethically i couldn't so i would have to follow that

havent heard from dr. weir yet and the committee met tuesday so im pretty sure i didnt get in

Last edited:
i stayed in the microtel off i59. $76ish for a single for a night.

im pretty sure i did ok on the ethics question. i said morally i would want to do one thing but legally and ethically i couldn't so i would have to follow that

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I'll stay there..looks decent.

havent heard from dr. weiss yet and the committee met tuesday so im pretty sure i didnt get in

Don't give up! You never know what happens! I'm rooting for you!:thumbup:

lack of DO experience. stats were just fine he said.

Sorry to hear that, tenndoc. Keep your head up, though! There's still more than plenty of time before the review process is over. :luck:

I was very happy to receive an interview, I only sent in my supplemental application last week. Are there plenty of spots left?

I was very happy to receive an interview, I only sent in my supplemental application last week. Are there plenty of spots left?
Congrats on the interview! It feels like there are still a lot of spots. The interview groups are small, so you're in a good position.

Agreed with BossDoc, you should be fine!

Thanks. You know how this anticipation goes.

Thanks. You know how this anticipation goes.

Anticipation is awful, but you'll be happy you had to go through it on the other side. :) The fact that you have an interview says a whole lot for this school. Try to be more excited than nervous! (much easier said than done I know)

For those of you who have interviewed already: Can you be more specific about the types of questions, format, time and miscellaneous pointers from your interviews?! I have mine next Monday and I can't seem to find enough information to be "prepared". What was the ethical question? Were the questions more conceptual, "how did you overcome adversity?", type of questions or did they have your file open on the table with specifics highlighted?

I just want to have a better idea of what to expect!

For those of you who have interviewed already: Can you be more specific about the types of questions, format, time and miscellaneous pointers from your interviews?! I have mine next Monday and I can't seem to find enough information to be "prepared". What was the ethical question? Were the questions more conceptual, "how did you overcome adversity?", type of questions or did they have your file open on the table with specifics highlighted?

just relax lol the ones i have been to have been extremely informal and not stressful at all. just be yourself and you'll do fine.

Go to the "Interview Feedback" tab under "References" on this site, and the questions there will beyond prepare you. Just know why WCU, why osteopathic medicine, and where you think you want practice. And relax :) it's really a non-intimidating interview. You'll be there for a few hours before actually interviewing, so you'll be more comfortable than you think. And be yourself! You'll do great!

And for current students/people looking for apartments:

Any feedback on Windsor Village and Arbor Walk? I can find a little on Arbor Walk, but nothing on Windsor Village. I have no idea what kind of neighborhoods they're in or what sort of noise level they have. Any info on an affordable, quiet place would be fantastic!

Haven't posted on here in a while:

To the person who is asking what is the interview going to be like, when I went thru it the interview was exteremly relaxed. There will be ethical questions but the thing about ethical questions is that there is no wrong answer (unless you blatantly say something that is over the line according to law). Go with your gut and defend your answer. (not that they are going to attack your answer: My first question when I went thru was "Are you prepared to help WCUCOM win a basketball intramural championship"...no joke)

As far as the apartment search goes; the Welcoming Committee will be putting together an apartment guide from student perspectives. As far as your question on the Arbor Walk; it's a nice little apartment complex no more than 10 minutes (if that) away from the school but its just far enough where you can relax from the school atmosphere. One thing that was a knock for me was the low ceilings and the outdated air conditioning (again of the rooms I saw). But like a said a more extensive survey will be put out later for y'all to look at.

Haven't posted on here in a while:

To the person who is asking what is the interview going to be like, when I went thru it the interview was exteremly relaxed. There will be ethical questions but the thing about ethical questions is that there is no wrong answer (unless you blatantly say something that is over the line according to law). Go with your gut and defend your answer. (not that they are going to attack your answer: My first question when I went thru was "Are you prepared to help WCUCOM win a basketball intramural championship"...no joke)

As far as the apartment search goes; the Welcoming Committee will be putting together an apartment guide from student perspectives. As far as your question on the Arbor Walk; it's a nice little apartment complex no more than 10 minutes (if that) away from the school but its just far enough where you can relax from the school atmosphere. One thing that was a knock for me was the low ceilings and the outdated air conditioning (again of the rooms I saw). But like a said a more extensive survey will be put out later for y'all to look at.

Good deal, thanks for the info. I'm coming down to look at apartments in a couple of weeks to get a feel for the area. The survey sounds great.

SOMETHING TO CONSIDER WHEN APPLYING TO WCUCOM:

It may not be a big deal to you NOW since your top priority is to get into medical school, but WCUCOM has an 80% attendance policy in most classes and 100% in others. I did not even think about the potential consequences of this before applying because I was so focused on getting in, but I wish I would have. When classes do start your top priority will probably be to learn as much as you can so that you can do well in the class and be prepared for board examinations in the future. Most of you will then realize how important every second of your time is. You will probably also feel that you are in class for far too long each day, a well-known problem at WCUCOM. In my experience I have found that the two or more hours of required class time every time the class meets is better spent reading, rehearsing, and studying in small groups. After paying so much for tuition I feel like the student body should have some say on issues that will have a large impact on their academic success. Unfortunately, we do not.

Some may say that it is unprofessional for me to say negative things about this school. If it is unprofessional to warn potential applicants about policies that may negatively affect their academic success then so be it. It would be like failing to warn a fellow soldier about a mine field in which he or she is about to walk through.

Please take some time to reflect on what I have said. I also want to apologize for not posting this sooner.

Last edited:

It may not be a big deal to you NOW since your top priority is to get into medical school, but WCUCOM has an 80% attendance policy in most classes and 100% in others. I did not even think about the potential consequences of this before applying because I was so focused on getting in, but I wish I would have. When classes do start your top priority will probably be to learn as much as you can so that you can do well in the class and be prepared for board examinations in the future. Most of you will then realize how important every second of your time is. You will probably also feel that you are in class for far too long each day, a well-known problem at WCUCOM. In my experience I have found that the two or more hours of required class time every time the class meets is better spent reading, rehearsing, and studying in small groups. After paying so much for tuition I feel like the student body should have some say on issues that will have a large impact on their academic success. Unfortunately, we do not.

Some may say that it is unprofessional for me to say negative things about this school. If it is unprofessional to warn potential applicants about policies that may negatively affect their academic success then so be it. It would be like failing to warn a fellow soldier about a mine field in which he or she is about to walk through.

Please take some time to reflect on what I have said. I also want to apologize for not posting this sooner.
Couldn't we always just switch to a school that doesn't require attendance if we didn't want to go to class or read our text in class if we did not appreciate what our professors had to say?

Transfering is almost impossible b/c your school will lose money so they will not likely make it easy for you. Not to mention housing commitments you will have to break, moving to another city duirng the semester, and stress on your family. Maybe we should just suck it up right! Wrong we are paying close to 40K plus a year just on school expenses, so I think the students should have a lot more say than they have now.

I am trying to emphasize the negative impact that an attendance policy has on many students with different learning styles. During orientation the faculty talked for hours about different learning styles and how important it is to find your own method. Well, this is quite hypocritical when they require you to be an auditory learner for 6-8 hours a day. So in other words, if you are not an auditory learner then waste 6-8 hours of prime study time per day.

Yes, they can say that if I would have read the policy before hand, I would have known about the attendance policy. THE POINT IS THAT AS AN INCOMING STUDENT I STILL WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN THE IMPACT OF THE ATTENDANCE POLICY ON MY STUDY HABITS. I am not against having an attendance policy for physical diagnosis, anatomy lab, and OPP, those are necessary because they are hands on.

Transfering is almost impossible b/c your school will lose money so they will not likely make it easy for you. Not to mention housing commitments you will have to break, moving to another city duirng the semester, and stress on your family. Maybe we should just suck it up right! Wrong we are paying close to 40K plus a year just on school expenses, so I think the students should have a lot more say than they have now.

I am trying to emphasize the negative impact that an attendance policy has on many students with different learning styles. During orientation the faculty talked for hours about different learning styles and how important it is to find your own method. Well, this is quite hypocritical when they require you to be an auditory learner for 6-8 hours a day. So in other words, if you are not an auditory learner then waste 6-8 hours of prime study time per day.

Yes, they can say that if I would have read the policy before hand, I would have known about the attendance policy. THE POINT IS THAT AS AN INCOMING STUDENT I STILL WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN THE IMPACT OF THE ATTENDANCE POLICY ON MY STUDY HABITS. I am not against having an attendance policy for physical diagnosis, anatomy lab, and OPP, those are necessary because they are hands on.

Question I've been wondering about: does WCU have a note taking service or recorded lectures available to students? Or do we record those on our own?

the lecture recordings are posted, but they're only in audio format. There is video equipment in the room, but none of the professors ever use them. Maybe they're not allowed to use them. Nobody really knows, the administration keeps us in the dark as to why it's never used.

For those of you applying and find this post concerning, and to Member992:
Yes, we have 80% attendance policy. Yes, it's tiring sometimes to go to class that much. Member 992, it's appreciated that you posted this in a way that does not tear down WCU COM, but simply voices your opinion. That being said, we recently had a COCA team visit us, and they genuinely listened to our concerns and took action on the attendance, lecture schedule, etc. that seemed overwhelming to our two classes. It appears that there will be some changes that will lessen the amount of scheduled lecture time. So, with all due respect, we are getting a say in this school and what goes on with us.

Secondly, I want to say this, as part of my own opinion: this is medical school. We were told about the mandatory attendance policy, at least the current OMS I class was (it was in the school's handbook). Besides that, 80% in some classes gives you a lot of absences (ex: biochem has 60 class days...so that gives ~12 absences in that class--much much allowed than in any undergrad course I took). Some classes are tiring to go to, absolutely. But, it could be a lot worse. I think VCOM has 100% mandatory attendance, and has assigned seating. At least we are not treated like first graders in that respect. We get to choose where we sit and can change seats! :) Yes, Osteopathic Principles & Practices is 100% mandatory. But that's not to say if you are really sick the professors will make you stay, I've seen them tell people to go home and get rest. The fact is, I wasn't expecting to have to go to class only some of the time. I still get a lot done, and learning to power nap. Yes, the OMS II class has it harder than the OMS I class does. Thanks to the OMS II class, our (OMS I) class has a lot better scheduling and other things in place that are helping us out. And, yes, I feel bad for the OMS II class for areas that aren't changing for them and how overwhelmed they are.

We are working on getting note taking services going, and you can record the lectures if the teacher allows it. They just don't like it being posted on the internet to the world.

If you are applying to medical school thinking it's going to be sunshine and puppies the entire time, you are kidding yourself. This is the most challenging thing you'll ever do. And life does not stop because you are in medical school. But it's doable. Not only is it doable, but it is completely possible to do really well in medical school.

WCU COM is a great school. We have problems, yes. They're working on them. We have faculty that not everyone gets along with, but that goes in every part of life. It seems rare that you are in a work/school/any environment where you will like every single person that is there, and will never get annoyed with those people. I listen to other students from other schools and we all have things to gripe about, just for griping's sake. We're under a ton of stress and overwhelmed a lot. It's getting better. But I wouldn't go to another D.O. school over WCU COM even knowing the frustrations that we have now. It's hard being part of the first classes to go through the school. But, IMHO, it's very worth it. It's really exciting, and there are faculty that listen to us and do their best to make life as easy as they can manage for us. :)