West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss Away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking at adding this school to my AACOMAS and am I little surprised that I just now stumbled upon it. It seems great on paper. Especially with the early clinical experience and systems based approach. Would any current students be able to comment on what they think about the location and curriculum? I'm also curious about where they do clinicals and how that works. Anyone else looking at applying here?

I'm still on the waitlist (Not looking like I'm coming off either. Oh well, gap year's not bad. I'm using it for massage school, because why not?), but I can tell you that they're changing the curriculum this year. There used to be two paths, problem-based and lecture, and now there's just one, which is supposed to contain elements from both. I loved Lewisburg when I visited for interview. It's a small town, but they have a Walmart and a couple other big chains in addition to all the smaller businesses. OOS tuition SUCKS, but there is a possibility of a fellowship that pays tuition years 3-4 (well, 3-4-5, since it extends your education by a year), so I'm hoping to be able to go for that.

You should check out the last couple year's threads for more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application just finished being verified last week. This school is my number one choice. The city is beautiful and the students all seem to really like the school. I know they pre-screen their secondary applications so I am crossing my fingers that I get one. Anybody have an idea of the earliest they send them out?

Judging by last year's thread, sometime in August.

It looks like the year before that it was in July. I wonder what changed...Probably the number off applicants, I read on their website they got 3200 last years. That seems like a lot for a rural school.

Ya but only 3200 were complete according to Aacomas. Unless I'm reading it wrong. Which is entirely possible.

Gotcha. Is this including their 10% increase in apps this year? WVSOM is on the rise. I think their application structure (needing to complete a secondary only if chosen for an interview) appeals to many per-meds.

Interview here...it is a great school. Only downside is mandatory in-state third-year rotations. Make your fourth year count.

Gotcha. Is this including their 10% increase in apps this year? WVSOM is on the rise. I think their application structure (needing to complete a secondary only if chosen for an interview) appeals to many per-meds.

Interview here...it is a great school. Only downside is mandatory in-state third-year rotations. Make your fourth year count.

Im excited to go there! Im crossing my fingers for an interview. I dont mind the mandatory in state rotations so much. Are you a student there?

Most DO schools ARE rural, though. And it's an awesome school.

Well, I only looked at last year's thread, and there WERE July comments, but they all said decision deferred. Hm...guess the July interview/secondary invites just didn't post.

But, yay waitlist, I don't have to do this again! Also, hello doublefrick, I do believe we're in the same boat here, are we not?

Most DO schools ARE rural, though. And it's an awesome school.

Well, I only looked at last year's thread, and there WERE July comments, but they all said decision deferred. Hm...guess the July interview/secondary invites just didn't post.

But, yay waitlist, I don't have to do this again! Also, hello doublefrick, I do believe we're in the same boat here, are we not?

Hey there!

Yes, we were, but I was accepted to another school for this year, where I will be attending. WVSOM was my second choice. It is also a great school...Congrats!! :)

Well judging by the small volume of chatter for WVSOM in this thread vs the other school specific threads I would say less people may be applying there this year. But that's just wishful thinking!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could just be a small volume because no one had gotten a secondary yet...

Could just be a small volume because no one had gotten a secondary yet...

or maybe not alot of people are on the ball this year and will be applying latter. :D fingers crossed.
Does anyone one know what wvsom's secondary involves.? thanks

or maybe not alot of people are on the ball this year and will be applying latter. :D fingers crossed.

Agreed! I can only hope that we are just that much more ahead of the crowd!

Hey there!

Yes, we were, but I was accepted to another school for this year, where I will be attending. WVSOM was my second choice. It is also a great school...Congrats!! :)

Congratulations! Pity I won't see you next fall, though.

Last year's essay question:

Please state your reasons for wishing to become an Osteopathic Physician and why you feel WVSOM should consider you as a member of this year's class.

Could anyone let me know what the LOR requirements are? Thanks!

So who's OOS and just wants to get in no matter the price?

I just found out about WVSOM. I like their secondary process. Does anyone know if they're OOS friendly?

Good luck to all applicants.

I just found out about WVSOM. I like their secondary process. Does anyone know if they're OOS friendly?

Good luck to all applicants.

Yes they are. A decent chunk of their students are from out of state.

+1 :) HPSP will cover my costs anyway hah.

Be careful with the HPSP because with $50k/yr for tuition, HPSP may not cover all of it. There is a cap they put on tuition which is dictated in your contract. I'm not sure what it is but that's what I heard from other HPSP forums. I would inquire with (a couple) of recruiters for your branch to verify what the cap is. I would read the other forums on HPSP info and if your not prior ROTC, look also into the Financial Aid Program (FAP) as well.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=189443

Sorry that was a tangent to this thread so if you have further questions, feel free to PM me.

Be careful with the HPSP because with $50k/yr for tuition, HPSP may not cover all of it. There is a cap they put on tuition which is dictated in your contract. I'm not sure what it is but that's what I heard from other HPSP forums. I would inquire with (a couple) of recruiters for your branch to verify what the cap is. I would read the other forums on HPSP info and if your not prior ROTC, look also into the Financial Aid Program (FAP) as well.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=189443

Sorry that was a tangent to this thread so if you have further questions, feel free to PM me.

Hey, thanks for the info. Yeahh I pretty much did all the research already. Coming from a military family I have a lot of connections, so the recruiter I spoke with said they'll cover the entire tuition no worries. Just need to get accepted, which is the hard part ha. Full tuition + signing bonus + 2k monthly stipend is fine with me :) plus I want to serve my country, so it all works out.

Wow really? Thats super cool...What about LORs?

Their website says you can send in the LORs anytime you want, even before getting the interview invite, but it doesn't sound like it can help you get an interview by sending them early. Who knows...

They want a letter from a D.O. and a letter from a pre-med advisor, committee, or professor.

Their website says you can send in the LORs anytime you want, even before getting the interview invite, but it doesn't sound like it can help you get an interview by sending them early. Who knows...

They want a letter from a D.O. and a letter from a pre-med advisor, committee, or professor.

The tour last year said it doesn't help but you need them in before you interview

Has anybody received a username and pin yet for the application checklist? WVSOMs website says they send them out when they receive your aacomas.

Has anybody received a username and pin yet for the application checklist? WVSOMs website says they send them out when they receive your aacomas.

Nope, nothing yet. I don't think they are going to give that to everyone unless you are offered a secondary.

Hey I got an e-mail saying I was deferred (pending my MCAT scores).

So they ARE screening now. Obviously someone is looking at the applications.

App sent from AACOMAS 6/24

Hey I got an e-mail saying I was deferred (pending my MCAT scores).

So they ARE screening now. Obviously someone is looking at the applications.

App sent from AACOMAS 6/24

Interesting, my app was also sent 6/24. I have not gotten any email. My app is complete with LORs. When did they send you the email?

haven't gotten any emails regarding status. and still waiting.....

haven't gotten any emails regarding status. and still waiting.....

Same here. I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens. Good to know someone is looking at apps now though, so maybe we will hear something sooner rather than later.

I don't know how many of you have been watching the weather here in Lewisburg has been crazy and the power and water have been out at the school for the past week thanks to a freak once in a century storm. So if it takes a little while to hear don't worry too much they are working on things.

Just wondering if anyone has received the secondary app prompt for 2012-2013; if so can you please post it on the thread? I saw the prompt from 2011-2012 posted above, but just wanted to make sure it is the same for this year. Thanks.

Just got an email from WVSOM saying they received my primary, and included instructions for registering on their website to follow the status of my app. Anyone else?

Just got an email from WVSOM saying they received my primary, and included instructions for registering on their website to follow the status of my app. Anyone else?

yep:thumbup:

Got the e-mail as well, what is everyone's "status" coming up as? Mine doesn't seem to be displayed? Thx!

Edit ~> I was able to login and check status, "In Progress - Decision Pending" *Fingers are Crossed*

Last edited:

I got the same email today, but the login/pin doesn't work! Has anybody had the same problem?

EDIT: Nevermind....I just saw that copy-pasting it from the email doesn't work!

Last edited: