West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nope 🙁 no letter of recs uploaded according to the portal. I have 9 letters in at the moment, but I don't think it matters unless they choose to interview you.
 
Congratulations to everyone!! I am so excited for everyone that was accepted off the wait list.
I interviewed on 2/13 and was also placed on the alternate list. I am really hoping for some movement. I have 700+ and 6 years of hospital volunteering, first author published paper, various international scientific meeting presentations. I hope they all count and I get in but it is definitely exciting news that there has been movement. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope 🙁 no letter of recs uploaded according to the portal. I have 9 letters in at the moment, but I don't think it matters unless they choose to interview you.
ohh bummer to hear that - We'll both get there, just gotta keep at it! I only ask because they have had my letters uploaded for ~a week but it still says "In process - Decision Pending" on my checklist. I check it a lot hahah
 
After submitting a secondary and having my letters uploaded mine switched from "In process - decision pending" to just "decision pending" today. I'm not quite sure how I should take this?

EDIT: Just received an II!!!!! Extremely happy!!!!
Saweeet! When is your interview?
 
After submitting a secondary and having my letters uploaded mine switched from "In process - decision pending" to just "decision pending" today. I'm not quite sure how I should take this?

EDIT: Just received an II!!!!! Extremely happy!!!!
what is your MCAT?
 
what is your MCAT?
I noticed from a glance at your post history you've asked this question of other people. Some people are not comfortable discussing their stats with strangers, and it can be considered rude or off-putting to be asked. I know you're wondering how competitive you are and why others have gotten ii and perhaps you haven't. You've volunteered your stats elsewhere (3.2 GPA, 24MCAT), and it's entirely possible to get accepted with those at WVSOM or elsewhere. That said, you applied *very* late in the cycle if you applied in January. I recommend you reapply next year on June 6th (or whenever AACOMAS opens up), beef up your ECs, and bring the GPA up if you can. If you're confident you can improve on your MCAT score, it might be worthwhile to retake it.

It took my wife two cycles to get accepted (the first time, she applied in September), and my brother-in-law didn't get accepted to his med school until 3 days before the start of class, when he was taken off the wait list. Anything can happen. Be patient, not discouraged.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed mid march last year and I was placed on wait list and then got accepted in July (2 weeks before orientation). I declined because I got into another school that was way cheaper than WVSOM... I know one person who interviewed with me and she was offered a seat for this year, which she gladly took... I remember they offered a spot for the class of 2019 to everyone who was waitlisted... WVSOM is a great school; they seem to care a lot.
 
I just found out today that I am on the wait list, hoping for some spots to open up and luck to be on my side. I interviewed 2/23 and was wondering if anyone else in our interview group got any news today. Good luck to all!

MCAT-25 sGPA-3.17 WV resident
 
Anyone taken a look at the budget for 1st year students in regards to how much money is needed from loans? It's not this current year, its for last year, but it's interesting to look at. Anyone have any experience with the Grad Plus loan?
 
Anyone taken a look at the budget for 1st year students in regards to how much money is needed from loans? It's not this current year, its for last year, but it's interesting to look at. Anyone have any experience with the Grad Plus loan?
Where did you find the budget? I looked quickly but couldn't find it. :/
 
On the school's page, click student---financial aid----on the right side scroll down to resources---financial aid handbook 2014---i think its like page 13 or so
 
If those of you that were recently accepted off of the alternate list could tell me when you interviewed, it would be greatly appreciated. Just to give me an idea of when you were put on the alternate list and how quickly you came off. I am sure it is ranked or at least reviewed to offer spots to the best candidates on the alternate list but I am sure the date of when you interviewed also plays a role. If you don't mind offering GPA, MCAT, and clinical experience to the details that would be awesome to provide insight as to who is coming off the alternate list and why.
 
I just found out today that I am on the wait list, hoping for some spots to open up and luck to be on my side. I interviewed 2/23 and was wondering if anyone else in our interview group got any news today. Good luck to all!

MCAT-25 sGPA-3.17 WV resident

I was also interviewed on 2/23 and got the waitlist notice yesterday.
Accepted off the alternate list today! Beaming!! :soexcited:
Thank you Capt_Mal_Shiny, if it was your spot! 🙂
Best of luck to all who are currently on the alternate list: there's hope yet.

Congrats! if you and the others could tell us when you interview that would be swell.
 
I interviewed on Feb. 9. I'm from a rural area, but out of state. Lots of non-medical service/leadership, solid clinical experience. My GPA and MCAT are around the school's average (the school's ave. last year was 24 MCAT, 3.49 GPA according to US News & World Report). My sense is each candidate is viewed holistically here; they seem less about the numbers and more about the fit with their mission.
 
Sounds good, thank you 9636, I interviewed after you and was also alternate listed. I too am from an out of state rural area but with lots of medical volunteer and shadowing work and very competitive scores. Hopefully that means I should hear shortly, as long as I made a decent case during my interview for why DO and why WVSOM. What may hurt me is the lack of interest and experience in family med.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
were you guys notified by email or did you just continuously check your status online?
I was notified by email regarding being placed on the alternate list. But, I didn't receive an email when I was accepted off the alternate list; I just happened to check my online status.
 
Hey everyone, congrats to all those accepted!! I am interviewing here soon and I wanted to know if any of you got the "Tell me about yourself" question, and how long your responses were? Haha I'm kind of anxious about this question!
 
I interviewed on 2/13. I am not comfortable sharing my statistics but my scores were around the average. I found out I was placed on the alternate list on 3/2 and was accepted on 3/12, which was a 10 day turn around time. It looks like there will continue to be movement off the wait list for people that are placed on the alternate list. Good luck to everyone!
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone, congrats to all those accepted!! I am interviewing here soon and I wanted to know if any of you got the "Tell me about yourself" question, and how long your responses were? Haha I'm kind of anxious about this question!
I am still waiting for ii 🙁. What was your MCAT?
 
For the second deposit, what if you don't have the money to pay it? Obviously i wouldn't want to take out a personal loan for $2000 but i definitely don't have that much money at my disposal.
 
I'm thinking of visiting in a couple of weeks to look at apartments. Does anyone know if the housing list that WVSOM provides is kept relatively up to date? Just curious before I book the flight. I'm looking for a pet-friendly, reasonably priced place. I'll be bringing a cat and my husband will be visiting with our goofy collie periodically, if anyone has any leads. 🙂
 
I'm thinking of visiting in a couple of weeks to look at apartments. Does anyone know if the housing list that WVSOM provides is kept relatively up to date? Just curious before I book the flight. I'm looking for a pet-friendly, reasonably priced place. I'll be bringing a cat and my husband will be visiting with our goofy collie periodically, if anyone has any leads. 🙂

I have actually been looking for housing there and contacted about 8 landlords from the WVSOM's site about their places. All of which were rented or in the process of being shown to a potential renter. When I talked to most of them they all had suggestions or other places that they were renting out. So my advice is if you find a perfect house/apartment that you think you would love based on the description, email the landlord before you get your hopes up! If you join the Facebook group landlords and students post in there as well about potential places to rent! Good luck
 
I think it's pretty safe to assume now haha, I was put on the alternate and I interviewed 2/6 along with people who interviewed 2/9 plus they already stated they have their soft list so some movement will probably occur between now and March 15th when the second deposit is due. So, they already have accepted their quota it's just if someone decides they don't want to attend WVSOM and withdraws or doesn't pay their second deposit fee. I don't think any of us are losing hope with the potential of withdraws and then like you said there is the chance the committee and dean will decide to do rollovers.
rollovers?
 
do you know if this does happen, would they email you or call you? or is it just by mail

they might email you, but most people find out by looking at the portal site (my.wvsom.edu). it's what they used to update you on what materials they've received toward your application, etc.
 
Isn't April 1st supposed to be a day where there should be a lot of movement as well? I thought I read something about that
I believe on/ after April 30th each applicant is only allowed to hold one medical school spot (according to the AAMC for MD applicants). Therefore applicants will have to withdraw all of their other acceptances, thus hopefully creating a lot of movement for those of us on wait lists lol.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe on/ after April 30th each applicant is only allowed to hold one medical school spot (according to the AAMC). Therefore applicants will have to withdraw all of their other acceptances, thus hopefully creating a lot of movement for those of us on wait lists lol.

That is actually for MD schools. DO schools don't have this system in place.
 
So I got an email this afternoon saying I'm wait listed, but tonight I checked my portal status and it says accept applicant. Do any others with wait list status say that on the portal?

Not mine. Been waiting over a month.

I think you got accepted. Congrats!