West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. They sent a letter through the mail but the online portal also changed to "accept applicant".
I am very confused about this online portal!

Earlier in this thread, it was said that you can access it through the page where the secondary application was, but I have still been unable to find it.

Help please!
 
I am very confused about this online portal!

Earlier in this thread, it was said that you can access it through the page where the secondary application was, but I have still been unable to find it.

Help please!


Step 1: Go to my.wvsom.edu

Step 2: Enter correct login information

Step 3: Click enter

Step 4: Click on "Check Application Status"

Step 5: Profit
 
Had been decision deferred back in mid-August last year and still haven't heared anything back. Kind of sad that WVSOM adcoms probably forget about me as I haven't received anything from WVSOM, not even a rejection letter lol. Good luck to anyone who is on the waitlist. Best wishes to you guys who are accepted and will continue medical education at WVSOM.
 
Had been decision deferred back in mid-August last year and still haven't heared anything back. Kind of sad that WVSOM adcoms probably forget about me as I haven't received anything from WVSOM, not even a rejection letter lol. Good luck to anyone who is on the waitlist. Best wishes to you guys who are accepted and will continue medical education at WVSOM.

It may be a little late this year, but when you reapply make sure to send update letters every so often with new shadowing, awards, research, volunteering etc. so they don't forget about you. This will also show them that you are still actively working towards your goal of getting into medical school and that you are a hard worker. Good luck!
 
It may be a little late this year, but when you reapply make sure to send update letters every so often with new shadowing, awards, research, volunteering etc. so they don't forget about you. This will also show them that you are still actively working towards your goal of getting into medical school and that you are a hard worker. Good luck!
Thanks for your advice. I will not reapply though because I recently got an acceptance from another med school 🙂.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know around what time period the dean makes the decision on rollover admissions based on previous years? I'm assuming it would be sometime this summer after the wait list isn't being pulled from anymore.. just curious
They don't make that decision until after the 2015 classes have started and there is no chance of getting into this class anymore. I was a rollover admission from last year and it was really stressful because they would always tell me it wasn't a guarantee and that the dean could decide not to continue rollovers but they haven't not done rollover admissions in the recent history. Stay positive hopefully the wait list moves more this year for you but if not there is still hope.
 
They don't make that decision until after the 2015 classes have started and there is no chance of getting into this class anymore. I was a rollover admission from last year and it was really stressful because they would always tell me it wasn't a guarantee and that the dean could decide not to continue rollovers but they haven't not done rollover admissions in the recent history. Stay positive hopefully the wait list moves more this year for you but if not there is still hope.
Yeah I can't even imagine how stressful that is, it's enough stress just being on a wait list period haha. Thanks though! So did you just hold off on doing your application for next cycle in the meantime, or do it just in case? I suppose they already have a copy of your app either way
 
Yeah I can't even imagine how stressful that is, it's enough stress just being on a wait list period haha. Thanks though! So did you just hold off on doing your application for next cycle in the meantime, or do it just in case? I suppose they already have a copy of your app either way

Kind of curious also. What about those who are applying before the rollover? Would they have to withdraw their app or do they continue to apply with one of the schools being WVSOM?
 
Yeah I can't even imagine how stressful that is, it's enough stress just being on a wait list period haha. Thanks though! So did you just hold off on doing your application for next cycle in the meantime, or do it just in case? I suppose they already have a copy of your app either way
Because They never would confirm anything I didn't want to wait and have my application be late for the next year because I was waiting. So I did renew my AACOMAS but only did a few key schools while I kept waiting for them to let me know on the rollover. For WVSOM if they let you in on rollover you don't need to have renewed your application as they do just go off the previous years info. And I did have to then withdraw from those schools application processes I had applied to before the rollover decision because I decided that WVSOM was the program I wanted to attend.
 
Should I be reapplying to WVSOM? I was waitlisted in March and meanwhile I decided to go to a post-bacc program with linkage. I was hoping that rollover admissions would be an option in case I don't meet the for linkage from the post-bacc, but I was wondering how many students on the alternate list get rollover admission?
 
Sounds like Lenovo tablets. Regardless, you will either get a laptop or tablet.

I called the IT department. They are providing Lenova Yoga industrial version laptops made specific for the school to make sure they will support everything the school needs for students. They are i7 core with windows 8. The screens rotate and fold back on the keyboard to become a tablet. They are also touch screen. Sounds like a pretty good computer.
 
Am I the only one who didn't get an interview? I was so sure I'd at least get an interview even though my gpa is a bit low (c 3.24, s 3.09) because my MCAT was pretty balanced (8v, 10 in sciences). But then again this med school process is full of surprises.

im wondering if I should even reapply to this school. Admissions was pretty vague back in autumn about the status of my app.
 
Am I the only one who didn't get an interview? I was so sure I'd at least get an interview even though my gpa is a bit low (c 3.24, s 3.09) because my MCAT was pretty balanced (8v, 10 in sciences). But then again this med school process is full of surprises.

im wondering if I should even reapply to this school. Admissions was pretty vague back in autumn about the status of my app.
I would call and ask what you could do to strengthen your application. Also, when did you apply? If you applied later in the cycle, it is more difficult to get in.
 
I would call and ask what you could do to strengthen your application. Also, when did you apply? If you applied later in the cycle, it is more difficult to get in.
I applied I think around late July/aug. It was the first of the schools I applied to that was processed.

I'll definitely do that. Thanks! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I the only one who didn't get an interview? I was so sure I'd at least get an interview even though my gpa is a bit low (c 3.24, s 3.09) because my MCAT was pretty balanced (8v, 10 in sciences). But then again this med school process is full of surprises.

im wondering if I should even reapply to this school. Admissions was pretty vague back in autumn about the status of my app.

Did you apply anywhere else?
 
Accepted off the wait list today (status portal change)! But I unfortunately think I will be giving up the spot 🙁 I've spent too much money with deposits and housing fees at another school. I absolutely loved everything about WVSOM, good luck to everyone else on the wait list, I hope one of you gets my spot!
 
Accepted off the wait list today (status portal change)! But I unfortunately think I will be giving up the spot 🙁 I've spent too much money with deposits and housing fees at another school. I absolutely loved everything about WVSOM, good luck to everyone else on the wait list, I hope one of you gets my spot!

doe mind sharing ur stats? pm if you would like
 
Just got accepted off the wait list last week! I had already paid my deposit at another school, but I think i'm going to attend WVSOM anyway (despite the super high tuition). I just loved the campus and faculty there too much to pass this up. Good luck to everyone else on the wait list!
 
Just got accepted off the wait list last week! I had already paid my deposit at another school, but I think i'm going to attend WVSOM anyway (despite the super high tuition). I just loved the campus and faculty there too much to pass this up. Good luck to everyone else on the wait list!

Congrats! It was also late into the cycle when I got accepted. It's an amazing campus and school. I can't wait to start classes. See you in a couple months!
 
I applied I think around late July/aug. It was the first of the schools I applied to that was processed.

I'll definitely do that. Thanks! 🙂
July and august are not late. Anything beyond October is def getting late since the MD rejects are starting to realize DO as a safety net.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
How did they inform you? And if u don't mind me asking, did u follow up with them a lot or did anything significant change on ur app that u think may have helped?
I got a letter in the mail. Nothing really significant happened and I didn't really keep in contact with them! Good luck. If you have any more questions lemme know
 
Just got accepted off the waitlist!!! 🙂 They called me. I am kind of panicing because I think the first day is in 2-3 weeks. Does anyone know where I can find a place to rent that is pet friendly? It doesn't have to be in Lewisburg... I need a town house or apartment for my husband and I.
 
Hey everyone!
So I unfortunatly withdrew from wvsom and I had an apartment lined up a few months ago.

It's a 2 bedroom apartment located at 207 North Lee Street. It is a building that contains about 6 total two bedroom units. This place is a 5 minute walk to campus! And the landlord told me that all the units are occupied by wvsom students.

It is completely furnished and rent is $800 per month plus electric and internet (landlord pays water, sewer, trash, and cable).

If you're interested please call 304-645-5914 and ask for Larry. This is his website with a few pictures of one of the units within the building. The landlord told me that all the units are basically the same layout as the pictures shown. *be sure you're looking at the photos labeled for the correct address!

http://villalandco.com/property/apartments-for-rent/43/2075-north-lee-street-lewisburg-wv