Western c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me neither. The status just says that the application was sent to admissions for processing. I think new emails come when that initial status changes. I submitted everything 9/17... hope this eases you mind and is helpful

I got the email that says my application was sent to admissions, but my portal doesn’t say anything besides submitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Did you already mention which application cycle this is for you and how many times you’ve applied to Western?
This is my first time applying to Western, 2nd application cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if they'll be adding more November spots? Also have a conflict with Oct 27/29 :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity where is everyone who's received an interview from? I'm wondering if they're doing out of state applicants first? I'm concerned because my app was sent to commitee review on September 19th but I'm a California resident who goes to school out of state and I still haven't heard about an interview. This is my first time applying and the anxiety is real

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity where is everyone who's received an interview from? I'm wondering if they're doing out of state applicants first? I'm concerned because my app was sent to commitee review on September 19th but I'm a California resident who goes to school out of state and I still haven't heard about an interview. This is my first time applying and the anxiety is real
Florida

I am also from Florida.

I am also from Florida.
I’m not sure there’s really any particular method to the madness besides going in order that they received the applications. I read through last years thread and people received interviews in November and December.

I'm also from California!

I’m not sure there’s really any particular method to the madness besides going in order that they received the applications. I read through last years thread and people received interviews in November and December.

SAME. I even went back to 2020 and I couldn't figure out a pattern to it. Same with previous years. haha. They always try to figure out the wonders of the admissions committee.

I know I had looked through the old ones too and it just seems so random, oh well I'll just be anxiously refreshing my email for the next two months thanks guys and congrats on the interviews!

I know I had looked through the old ones too and it just seems so random, oh well I'll just be anxiously refreshing my email for the next two months thanks guys and congrats on the interviews!

You'll get the invite when you least expect it. I was *trying* to do my physics homework and it popped up. Let's just no physics was done that night.

Reactions: 2 users
If it makes any of y’all feel better, last year I got my interview invite during thanksgiving break less than 2 weeks before their last interview day in December lol

Reactions: 3 users
I heard yesterday that I received an interview! I am so excited, I am a 4th year applicant and a 1st year applying to Western. I was a little bummed they only let me choose from two dates in October for the interview though, didn't have much time to take off work. Any suggestions on the behavioral questions?

I just saw this! So my roommate who is pre-med said there's some MMI Sub-reddit form that helps to prepare for interviews. I believe it's r/mmiquestions. They'll give you questions and you can practice that way.

There's also a book someone recommended to me called "Multiple Mini Interviews: Winning Strategies From Admissions Faculty" by Samir Desai. I read the first three chapters and it seems like it's worth the $10.

Just got an interview invite!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite!!!!
Jeez!! Took them a solid month to get through the committee process :dead: but congrats! I know the wait is worth it! Good luck on your interview!

I’m also interviewing on the 27th!

I just saw this! So my roommate who is pre-med said there's some MMI Sub-reddit form that helps to prepare for interviews. I believe it's r/mmiquestions. They'll give you questions and you can practice that way.

There's also a book someone recommended to me called "Multiple Mini Interviews: Winning Strategies From Admissions Faculty" by Samir Desai. I read the first three chapters and it seems like it's worth the $10.

I interviewed at Western last year and the interview process isn't traditional MMI, you have 2 different short interviews (about 15 minutes each) where there are 2 interviewers in the room and they ask you a couple behavioral interview questions. Behavioral interview questions are most often: tell me about a time where... (insert personality trait or conflict resolution etc.). I would recommend just searching online for general interview questions or behavior questions which are pretty common for general job interviews.

I interviewed at Western last year and the interview process isn't traditional MMI, you have 2 different short interviews (about 15 minutes each) where there are 2 interviewers in the room and they ask you a couple behavioral interview questions. Behavioral interview questions are most often: tell me about a time where... (insert personality trait or conflict resolution etc.). I would recommend just searching online for general interview questions or behavior questions which are pretty common for general job interviews.
thanks for the tip!! So did they only ask behavior questions? No scenario MMI ones?

So I haven’t received yet any notification that my application i ready for review or that it was processed. I just got that first email, and everything in my application portal says submitted 9/14. Still my status says “Sent to admission for processing.” Should I be worried? I mean, I talked to one of the members of the admissions team a couple of weeks ago, and was told that it’s okay, but now I’m started to get a bit discouraged...

So I haven’t received yet any notification that my application i ready for review or that it was processed. I just got that first email, and everything in my application portal says submitted 9/14. Still my status says “Sent to admission for processing.” Should I be worried? I mean, I talked to one of the members of the admissions team a couple of weeks ago, and was told that it’s okay, but now I’m started to get a bit discouraged...
I feel the same way as you and I'm just hoping they haven't gotten to my application yet, we just have to hold out hope that they will let us know sooner than later.

Last edited:
I feel the dame way as you and I'm just hoping they haven't gotten to my application yet, we just have to hold out hope that they will let us know sooner than later.

I just saw at last year’s thread how some people just got the sent to committee for review in November. So I guess there’s still hope! I’m just so impatient haha

I just saw at last year’s thread how some people just got the sent to committee for review in November. So I guess there’s still hope! I’m just so impatient haha
I’m the same, on my portal it only says submitted and I’ve never gotten an email from them that it was sent to the committee. Of course I’ve been panicking as well, but there were people from last year that we’re sent to the committee only two weeks before the last interview date and got interview notifications the week before. I don’t think they’ve even said when the next interview dates are so I wouldn’t worry too much yet!

Does anyone know if Western asks any current event/political questions? Or are they all behavioral based questions? Also, where's the best place to learn more about current event topics? I don't currently work at a vet hospital or take any classes on veterinary ethics, but I want to stay up to date on everything. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Western asks any current event/political questions? Or are they all behavioral based questions? Also, where's the best place to learn more about current event topics? I don't currently work at a vet hospital or take any classes on veterinary ethics, but I want to stay up to date on everything. Thanks!
I didn’t apply to western so I can’t answer the first question, but if you’re looking for vet current events subscribe to the AVMA SmartBrief. It’s a daily(?) e-mail list and gives you little summary of multiple current things with links if you want to read further. And for non-vetmed current events, I like TheSkimm which is pretty much the same concept. It’s put out by two former NBC editors so it’s not just random people like your great-uncle putting out the newsletter (I actually got asked who put it out at one of my interviews, that’s why I mention it)

I didn’t apply to western so I can’t answer the first question, but if you’re looking for vet current events subscribe to the AVMA SmartBrief. It’s a daily(?) e-mail list and gives you little summary of multiple current things with links if you want to read further. And for non-vetmed current events, I like TheSkimm which is pretty much the same concept. It’s put out by two former NBC editors so it’s not just random people like your great-uncle putting out the newsletter (I actually got asked who put it out at one of my interviews, that’s why I mention it)

Whoa what school interviewed you about who puts out TheSkimm??

Whoa what school interviewed you about who puts out TheSkimm??
They asked where I get my news outside of vetmed. I said theskimm. They asked who puts that out and how I know it’s a reliable source since it’s not something they’ve heard of like cnn or nbc or a different major news station or newspaper like that.
Like basically, buzzfeed is a garbage source to get your news from and is not the most reliable source. Theskimm is not a garbage source and IS reliable because it’s put out by two former nbc editors.

So to maintain my sanity I stopped obsessively checking my portal. And of course it now says went to admissions for processing but it’s showing I need to submit another repeated course wksht and prereq wksht. And I don’t know why....like did I fill it out wrong? Did it submit some other file off my computer....
I’m more angry at myself for deciding to stop looking for a week and this comes up in that time span. :dead:
I’m trying to not lose my mind by obsessively checking but clearly obsessively checking is what I’ll have to do since I don’t get emails apparently.

So to maintain my sanity I stopped obsessively checking my portal. And of course it now says went to admissions for processing but it’s showing I need to submit another repeated course wksht and prereq wksht. And I don’t know why....like did I fill it out wrong? Did it submit some other file off my computer....
I’m more angry at myself for deciding to stop looking for a week and this comes up in that time span. :dead:
I’m trying to not lose my mind by obsessively checking but clearly obsessively checking is what I’ll have to do since I don’t get emails apparently.
If you haven’t already, you should really call the admissions office, and about compulsively checking the application page, what I found to be helpful is to schedule a time where I check everything a day. That way I can focus on my classes throughout the day...

If you haven’t already, you should really call the admissions office, and about compulsively checking the application page, what I found to be helpful is to schedule a time where I check everything a day. That way I can focus on my classes throughout the day...
I emailed my admissions counselor this afternoon. I couldn’t call bc I was in class, but if she doesn’t respond soon I’ll give them a call. Also that’s a good idea I’ll try and do that.

They asked where I get my news outside of vetmed. I said theskimm. They asked who puts that out and how I know it’s a reliable source since it’s not something they’ve heard of like cnn or nbc or a different major news station or newspaper like that.
Like basically, buzzfeed is a garbage source to get your news from and is not the most reliable source. Theskimm is not a garbage source and IS reliable because it’s put out by two former nbc editors.

I LOVE THE SKIMM.

I'm interviewing on the 27th and flying in from PDX on the 26th in the morning. If anyone also interviewing on October 27th wants to de-stress before the interview I think a meet up at a local restaurant might be fun!

Anyone get any new interview offers? Just curious because I spoke to my academic counselor today and she said that they finish interviews this year mid November :oops:

Anyone get any new interview offers? Just curious because I spoke to my academic counselor today and she said that they finish interviews this year mid November :oops:
Nope! I’m giving it about a month since it was first sent to committee before I freak out lol that seems to be the trend.... so I’ll be ‘patiently’ waiting until the beginning of November :dead:

I feel the same way, I wonder if they're filling up the October dates first and then they'll start filling the November dates? All I know is every day I don't get an email I get more anxious, plus I'll be in the area visiting family one of the interview weekends so it would be perfect timing. Hopefully they'll let us know soon! Good luck everyone

Nope! I’m giving it about a month since it was first sent to committee before I freak out lol that seems to be the trend.... so I’ll be ‘patiently’ waiting until the beginning of November :dead:
My application was put on hold for awhile. After I realized that, I contacted admissions and got the application fixed. I was offered an interview a few days after. Don't lose hope yet, theres still time. Good luck!

Did it say there was a hold in the portal? I'm wondering if I should contact my admissions counselor or if I should just wait it out...

Did it say there was a hold in the portal? I'm wondering if I should contact my admissions counselor or if I should just wait it out...
I can't quite remember what it said. I know I had multiple courses that were "pending" because the ones I had originally chosen, didn't meet their requirements.The admissions was very easy to work with and helped me fix it quickly.

My application was sent to the committee on October 10th and I got my invite for interviews October 19th! I'll be there November 5th. I'm from Alabama and submitted my application September 15th if anyone wants to know. It's my first time applying or interviewing so I'm really excited!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

My application was sent to the committee on October 10th and I got my invite for interviews October 19th! I'll be there November 5th. I'm from Alabama and submitted my application September 15th if anyone wants to know. It's my first time applying or interviewing so I'm really excited!

Congrats!! It’s my first time applying too and my timeline pretty much matches yours (submitted Sept 18th). I just got an invite yesterday. Interviewing on Oct 29th. I’m really excited, Western is my top choice school! :)

Good luck to everyone interviewing this year!!

Does anyone know what the interview format will be like? They said two 15-minute sessions.. so do they only ask you one question per session?

Does anyone know what the interview format will be like? They said two 15-minute sessions.. so do they only ask you one question per session?
From what I read it's two questions per session. So 4 total.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

My interview last year was very conversational and chill. I think I was asked 2-3 questions/session.