Western c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone that’s gotten interview invites list the dates they offered??

Received mine 10/20 and had the option of Oct 29th or Nov 5th!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I received my interview invite on Oct 13th and was given the options of Oct 29th, Nov 3rd, or Nov 5th.
I chose the 29th! :)
Congrats! My app still hasn't been sent to the admissions committee for review and its starting to make me nervous, especially since they added the Nov. 3rd and 5th dates. Definitely cutting it close!

October 27 and October 29! I have mine this saturday and im starting to low-key have panic attacks lol
HA! Same here, I can't stop thinking about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview last year was very conversational and chill. I think I was asked 2-3 questions/session.
Did you mainly answer with events/stories that are more "professional" or did you reference things in your personal life too? Thanks for all the help ^^

Congrats! My app still hasn't been sent to the admissions committee for review and its starting to make me nervous, especially since they added the Nov. 3rd and 5th dates. Definitely cutting it close!
I’m on the same boat... Even though I didn’t receive any notification of it, I know it was processed last week. Now there’s no status section in my app. Called them last week and was told everything is okay, but I’m really worried. They also told me they are interviewing until mid November

I got an interview!! I’ll be interviewing on the 5th!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
I’m on the same boat... Even though I didn’t receive any notification of it, I know it was processed last week. Now there’s no status section in my app. Called them last week and was told everything is okay, but I’m really worried. They also told me they are interviewing until mid November
Same here, I called my admission counselor yesterday and she basically said its just waiting until we get an email that there isn't much else they can tell us. I had really just wanted to make sure that my application was actually processed correctly but they said everything looks ok. So we just have to wait and hope!

That’s good they’re going until mid November!! Makes me feel a little better!

Is there somewhere online that we can see what stage our application is in? I received an email that it was in academic committee review, but from the status on the prospective students page just says submitted. Do they basically just update you by email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you mainly answer with events/stories that are more "professional" or did you reference things in your personal life too? Thanks for all the help ^^

A little bit of both, I talked about experiences I had working at a zoo clinic vs a private practice, along with ones I had bartending and tutoring :)

Hello 2023 applicants! First of all, congratulations on finishing your application process. Now the waiting game begins. In regards to interviews, from my experience, they were very accommodating when it came to interview dates. I was notified about getting an interview in early October that my interview was to be the last week of that month. I wrote an email to admissions explaining my situation that I was coming from the east coast and was having trouble getting off work. They were very nice about it, and allowed me to push my interview back until the first week of December. Another nice thing about Western's interview process is because they start interviewing so early, you generally find out about acceptances sooner than other schools. They were the first school I heard from! In regards to the actual interview questions, everyone I interviewed with was very laid back and they asked a few behavioral type questions each. Because WesternU's classes and teaching style are not traditional, they just want to make sure you will be a good fit for the school. If you are a person who needs the rigidity of a very structured teaching style, this may not be the program for you, and they are not trying to set anyone up to fail. Hope this helps a little. Good luck with interviews!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello 2023 applicants! First of all, congratulations on finishing your application process. Now the waiting game begins. In regards to interviews, from my experience, they were very accommodating when it came to interview dates. I was notified about getting an interview in early October that my interview was to be the last week of that month. I wrote an email to admissions explaining my situation that I was coming from the east coast and was having trouble getting off work. They were very nice about it, and allowed me to push my interview back until the first week of December. Another nice thing about Western's interview process is because they start interviewing so early, you generally find out about acceptances sooner than other schools. They were the first school I heard from! In regards to the actual interview questions, everyone I interviewed with was very laid back and they asked a few behavioral type questions each. Because WesternU's classes and teaching style are not traditional, they just want to make sure you will be a good fit for the school. If you are a person who needs the rigidity of a very structured teaching style, this may not be the program for you, and they are not trying to set anyone up to fail. Hope this helps a little. Good luck with interviews!
Was the activity at the end something that can be done in professional attire?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

They give you a tour of the school before interviews and then after they served dinner and we did like a practice PBL session in small groups, I was in heels the whole time and was fine

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using

It depends which group you are in whether you take the tour or do the interview first, one group takes the tour while the other group does the interviews and then they switch. Anything after that, like the student panel, financial aid meeting, and mock PBL are all optional. All of these activities are fine to be in your professional attire for. I didn't stay for any of the extra stuff because I had to catch a flight back, but if I had stayed for them, I would've stayed in my interview clothes. The campus is pretty small so you shouldn't have to worry about doing too much walking, it will probably be pretty warm during interviews, especially if the sun is out...which is almost always is here! So maybe don't wear your heaviest suite jacket and pants...though everything inside will be air conditioned so you should be okay even if you do.

Is anyone else interviewing on November 5th? Also, I noticed the interview packet on their website was for last year. Does anyone have or know where to find the updated packet for this year? I know most of it's going to be the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone's application still just say submitted? I feel like it's getting so close to the November interview dates and I'm getting worried that I still haven't had any kind of update. When I called they just said to wait until I got an email. Also good luck to all of you who are going this weekend to interview!!

Is anyone else interviewing on November 5th? Also, I noticed the interview packet on their website was for last year. Does anyone have or know where to find the updated packet for this year? I know most of it's going to be the same.

I’m interviewing on the 5th in the afternoon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone's application still just say submitted? I feel like it's getting so close to the November interview dates and I'm getting worried that I still haven't had any kind of update. When I called they just said to wait until I got an email. Also good luck to all of you who are going this weekend to interview!!
Someone else on this thread said they are interviewing through mid November so there are probably more interviews for after November 5th that haven't been sent out yet (no one has posted those dates yet). I had about a 3 week notice so maybe you'll hear back soon! If you can't make travel arrangements in time, I know some people on the c/o 2022 forum were able to get a later date in December for that exact reason. Hopefully you'll hear back soon!

Does anyone know if we are allowed anything in the room with us for the interview? Like, can we bring in a notebook or anything? Also, do you just go in and they're like "BAM here's your question" or is there any "tell me about yourself" stuff before hand? (which is what I would want a notebook for--I'm working on my "tell me about yourself" elevator pitch and it would be great if I could just have my notebook in hand for a prompt if needed or just for something to hold in my hands to keep me from fidgeting)

Does anyone know if we are allowed anything in the room with us for the interview? Like, can we bring in a notebook or anything? Also, do you just go in and they're like "BAM here's your question" or is there any "tell me about yourself" stuff before hand? (which is what I would want a notebook for--I'm working on my "tell me about yourself" elevator pitch and it would be great if I could just have my notebook in hand for a prompt if needed or just for something to hold in my hands to keep me from fidgeting)
I brought in a purse. Also yeah they pretty much cut right to the chase with the questions other than introductions and “how are you doing today” kind of small talk, I think we got 15 min/session and someone would come knock on the door to bring in the next person.

Good luck to everyone who has interviews today!!

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed today and I had a different experience than imdyinscoob up there, my interviewers asked me where I was from when I walked in, how the weather was back home, what drew me there and then they each spent a few minutes introducing themselves. Took up a good 3-4 minutes before actually asking me questions, really helped ease my nerves! You are allowed to bring in a notebook/portfolio if you wish. I brought nothing in and didn't feel disadvantaged or anything. Everyone is super friendly and laidback!

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed today and I had a different experience than imdyinscoob up there, my interviewers asked me where I was from when I walked in, how the weather was back home, what drew me there and then they each spent a few minutes introducing themselves. Took up a good 3-4 minutes before actually asking me questions, really helped ease my nerves! You are allowed to bring in a notebook/portfolio if you wish. I brought nothing in and didn't feel disadvantaged or anything. Everyone is super friendly and laidback!
Did they give you an interview packet like the one on their website from last year?

You are allowed to bring in a notebook/portfolio if you wish. I brought nothing in and didn't feel disadvantaged or anything.
Didn’t apply here but just butting in to give other people ideas, but I brought a padfolio thing in (because it looked nicer than a regular spiral notebook, got it pretty cheap at I think Walgreens) to my interviews because it gave me a good place to write questions I wanted to ask down beforehand so I could actually remember them during my interview and it also gave me a place to write down their answers. I didn’t use mine for talking points or anything or answers to possible interview questions, just questions I wanted answered in the “do you have any questions for us?” part that every interview I went to had.

Did they give you an interview packet like the one on their website from last year?

Yes they do and it is an updated one with new information and this year's dates! At the end there's a page for notes (they give you a pen) so you could use that to write anything throughout the day down on. You also get a lanyard and a tote bag to carry stuff around in, and a free little hand sanitizer thing lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Didn’t apply here but just butting in to give other people ideas, but I brought a padfolio thing in (because it looked nicer than a regular spiral notebook, got it pretty cheap at I think Walgreens) to my interviews because it gave me a good place to write questions I wanted to ask down beforehand so I could actually remember them during my interview and it also gave me a place to write down their answers. I didn’t use mine for talking points or anything or answers to possible interview questions, just questions I wanted answered in the “do you have any questions for us?” part that every interview I went to had.
That's a great idea! I remembered my questions fortunately but it definitely doesn't hurt to bring one in if you'd like

Yes they do and it is an updated one with new information and this year's dates! At the end there's a page for notes (they give you a pen) so you could use that to write anything throughout the day down on. You also get a lanyard and a tote bag to carry stuff around in, and a free little hand sanitizer thing lol.
That hand sanitizer smells like triple sec lmao

Anybody else still waiting to get sent to committee review? Do they send all apps to the committee? I’m starting to feel like mine was tossed into a rejection pile :(

How did everyone prepare for the interview? Mine is on Saturday and starting to get really nervous :(

I also interviewed on Saturday and I had a similar experience. I brought in a padfolio in and the interviewers were very easy to talk to! They took a few minutes to introduce themselves
How did everyone prepare for the interview? Mine is on Saturday and starting to get really nervous :(
I had my interview Saturday and I think the best way to prepare is to really know your story and experiences well. It was easy for me to think of examples to their questions because I knew my story backward and forwards. Also, there are tons of examples of behavior questions online that you can find and practice answering.

I tried to think of some stories that would work for different behavioral questions. All of the interviewers I had were really friendly and outgoing, and they made some small talk beforehand that helped to diffuse my nervousness. Good luck on your interview!!

With the MMI format, should we come prepared with questions to ask the interviewers? It seems like it wouldn't quite fit into the interview

With the MMI format, should we come prepared with questions to ask the interviewers? It seems like it wouldn't quite fit into the interview
During one of my interviews I had time to ask questions, so I would come prepared with a couple just in case.

During one of my interviews I had time to ask questions, so I would come prepared with a couple just in case.

Same! During both of mine I had the chance to ask questions or tell a little bit more about myself.

Anybody else still waiting to get sent to committee review? Do they send all apps to the committee? I’m starting to feel like mine was tossed into a rejection pile :(
Mine got sent to the committee on Friday afternoon. So I think everybody’s application gets sent...

Just interviewed yesterday. :)
Was super happy with the experience, they separated us into groups and rotated through q&a's, tours, and interviews. My group did the student q&a first then interviews second. My first interview had quite a bit of small talk before and after, while my second got straight to it and only chatted with questions after. Having the q&a with the students before actually gave me some ideas of questions to ask the interviewers.
As far as preparation, I had looked through examples of behavioral questions and thought of possible answers or ways to relate my experiences, for me that was enough since trying to plan what you might possibly say in every situation usually makes you sound too rehearsed and I do best on the fly (I think you come off as more sincere and answer questions more directly when you're presented them for the first time). My advice would be to simply think of any stressful/challenging/important learning experiences you've had and that's most likely what will come up.
The campus is easy to navigate and really pretty. And if you can stay the whole time the PBL example session really shows you what it's like (I'm now biased that it is a much better learning style. Lol).

Reactions: 2 users
Mine got sent to the committee on Friday afternoon. So I think everybody’s application gets sent...
Mine was never sent and I only received my rejection through the portal, not email. Not to freak anyone out just so current/future applicants are aware.

Just interviewed yesterday. :)
Was super happy with the experience, they separated us into groups and rotated through q&a's, tours, and interviews. My group did the student q&a first then interviews second. My first interview had quite a bit of small talk before and after, while my second got straight to it and only chatted with questions after. Having the q&a with the students before actually gave me some ideas of questions to ask the interviewers.
As far as preparation, I had looked through examples of behavioral questions and thought of possible answers or ways to relate my experiences, for me that was enough since trying to plan what you might possibly say in every situation usually makes you sound too rehearsed and I do best on the fly (I think you come off as more sincere and answer questions more directly when you're presented them for the first time). My advice would be to simply think of any stressful/challenging/important learning experiences you've had and that's most likely what will come up.
The campus is easy to navigate and really pretty. And if you can stay the whole time the PBL example session really shows you what it's like (I'm now biased that it is a much better learning style. Lol).
You and I were in the same group then! I also had the Q&A first with students and then interviews!

You and I were in the same group then! I also had the Q&A first with students and then interviews!
That's awesome! Small world. Lol go green group. I was the one with the sugar gliders from Michigan. :D

That's awesome! Small world. Lol go green group. I was the one with the sugar gliders from Michigan. :D
I was the one in a knee length black skirt with a bluish shirt and glasses from LA lol

My application was sent to review October 18th and I still haven't hear anything! I'm getting nervous!!!

Were you missing any coursework?
No I wasn’t missing any coursework, My GPA was over the required as well.
Also what did your portal message say? Mine has no updates and still have not heard anything
It said I had a portal update and gave a link. When I clicked the link it sent me to a generic message saying that my application was being declined for interview. I plan on doing a file review because it didn’t really go into a lot of detail.