Western c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here is my updated letter I sent to the AAVMC:

Good Morning,
I and multiple others have reached out regarding the matter of Western University’s forced deferrals, and most of us have received no follow-up. However, one of my peers on student doctor network reached out again and received an explanation of how Western was not found to have violated the April 15th deadline. It is my belief that this was in error, and key facts have been overlooked.

In your follow-up email, you stated that Western offered, not forced, deferrals. However, this was not the case. An offer of deferral would mean that students originally accepted into the class of 2023 still had a spot in the class if they chose not to defer. Western did no such thing. It is clearly stated here in their email:
“On behalf of Western University of Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, we are writing to inform you that the class entering Fall 2019 is filled and we currently are unable to confirm your seat in the Fall 2019 entering class at this time. As noted in the January 2019 offer letter, due to the large number of confirmations we have already received, we are in the unfortunate position of not being able to accept more than 108 students to our Fall 2019 entering class. As a result, we would like to offer you deferred acceptance into the Fall 2020 entering class. As a Deferred Acceptance student, should a place become vacant in the Fall 2019 entering class, you will be the ________ considered to fill the vacancy.”
This means that students were only offered deferral instead of being dropped from consideration entirely. That is not the same as a true offer of deferral.

Later in the email, Western mentions that they will be selecting students based off of when they submitted their deposit prior to the April 15th deadline. I’m curious as to how that specifically doesn’t violate the deadline. As you said, the deadline is in place to prevent students from being coerced into submitting their deposits sooner rather than later.

If Western is not found to be in violation, this sets a terrible precedent that allows schools to coerce students into submitting a deposit early using a student’s fear of being forcibly deferred. Again, students were not offered deferral vs a spot in the class of 2023. They were “offered” deferral vs being dropped from consideration entirely. This is not an offer. This is coercion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
In case anyone on the waitlist was wondering, there are still 10 people on the deferred list.

Hey everyone, I am in a really scary situation. I read online that western does not accept GRE scores after august 1st!? But my first GRE exam isn't until august 4th...am I not eligible then?

Thank you so much .

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I am in a really scary situation. I read online that western does not accept GRE scores after august 1st!? But my first GRE exam isn't until august 4th...am I not eligible then?

Thank you so much .
If that is their policy, then you would be disqualified. You need to call to get confirmation directly from them that it would or wouldn't be accepted though.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you so much .
Where did you see this? From everything I read, Western does not accept scores from tests taken before August *2015*, but otherwise you have until the application deadline (September 17th) for them to receive your scores.

Here on the application page it says that GRE scores are to be reported to VMCAS before Sept 17?

Where did you see this? From everything I read, Western does not accept scores from tests taken before August *2015*, but otherwise you have until the application deadline (September 17th) for them to receive your scores.
I called them yesterday and they said August 1st was just a "soft" deadline a recommendation so I'm good!

Update - now there are 8 people left on the deferred list!

I have been advised to check the application page for an update on waitlist status

Hey guys, was there a supplementary application for western?

For the VMCAS supplementary portion when they asked me to fill out my preferences for small vs. large vs. exotic animals etc. I accidentally rated all of them 0... there was a glitch or something. Do you guys think this matters a lot?

Thank you!

Hey guys, was there a supplementary application for western?

For the VMCAS supplementary portion when they asked me to fill out my preferences for small vs. large vs. exotic animals etc. I accidentally rated all of them 0... there was a glitch or something. Do you guys think this matters a lot?

Thank you!
See if vmcas will let you change them if you contact them. If not, contact the school directly.

Bumping this thread because I’m curious as to how that whole deferred acceptance thing worked out. Does anyone know if everyone placed on that deferred list after accepting their seat was ultimately able to matriculate this year if they wanted to?

I haven’t heard anything else regarding it, even despite the reaching out to AAVMC/VMCAS, so I’m assuming that the answer is yes and that it all worked out in the end. But just wondering.

Regardless, I still think that throwing students onto an automatic deferral list because the school supposedly doesn’t have enough seats to admit all of the applicants who accepted offers and put down deposits already, all based on when they put down that deposit (even if all deposits were paid prior to the April 15th deadline), is shady and problematic and potentially coercive. It’s still essentially “first come, first serve” at that point, and unless they can bump up their class sizes (the maximum number of available seats per class is claimed to be 108), the school isn’t always going to able to ensure that students placed on that post-acceptance deferral list will actually be able to matriculate in the year for which they are seeking admission, especially with what seems like steadily increasing applicant numbers every year. The chances of an accepted student who gets placed on the deferred acceptance list getting into the class they applied for wholly depends upon other admitted students who’ve accepted their offers and paid their deposits changing their minds. It may have worked out this time, but it is not nearly as much of a “guarantee” as the school seems to believe it is.

Not to mention that it flies in the face of the established April 15th agreement.

Hopefully this was just a one-time event and it’s not employed in future cycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Did you guys every figure out a pattern for when acceptances were sent out at all? I am in state and my application was submitted for review in the end of august! I want to know as much as possible about timing in case I do get an interview because flights can be expensive!

Did you guys every figure out a pattern for when acceptances were sent out at all? I am in state and my application was submitted for review in the end of august! I want to know as much as possible about timing in case I do get an interview because flights can be expensive!

I was invited for an interview 3 days before and I lived on the opposite side of the country haha.

I was invited for an interview 3 days before and I lived on the opposite side of the country haha.
Oh wow I can't even imagine that, I was hoping to hear far enough in advance to maybe drive down/take the train or bus so I could save money...

Is it possibly OOS first or maybe done based on how early you submitted? As in if you submitted earlier they could've had the chance to look at your application sooner?

Western is a private school, so there is no in state vs out of state. Between myself and a friend, the one who submitted vmcas later was offered an interview first, so it seems to be pretty random. My friend’s interview offer came 10 or 12 days before her interview date, mine was only 4 or 5 days. Multiple people I talked to at my interview had only 3 days notice.

Reactions: 1 users
I had 3 weeks notice for my interview.

Hello everyone! I was recently offered an interview at Western (yay!) for October the 26th. I was wondering if anyone had a room/bed/couch to spare for the night of the 25th and 26th while I am in town for said interview! I would appreciate it greatly!

Hello everyone! I was recently offered an interview at Western (yay!) for October the 26th. I was wondering if anyone had a room/bed/couch to spare for the night of the 25th and 26th while I am in town for said interview! I would appreciate it greatly!
If you don't find one AirBnB's are pretty cheap in the area!!

Hey guys ! I was wondering if anyone knew if we had a deadline to submit fall semester/quarter transcripts! Thank you!