Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone that has received an acceptance! I'm glad to hear that so many other interviewees liked the school as much as my wife and I do. We interviewed on Dec. 11, and got a couple of calls from WesternU-NW on the 17th and a few days ago. We have both decided that we want to attend WesternU because of the small tight-knit community, great curriculum, and friendly staff. I'll see you all in July/August!

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting you in the fall! :oops:) I agree with you about the tight-knitness, curriculum and friendly staff- seems like that will make all the difference when it comes to an enjoyable med school experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on all of the acceptances guys! I hope there will still be room in the class for me. I'm interviewing on Jan 8th. Sooo Excited!

Jen

Congrats on all of the acceptances guys! I hope there will still be room in the class for me. I'm interviewing on Jan 8th. Sooo Excited!

Jen

Congrats on the interview! Have fun! the OMM presentation was my favorite. There are only about 18 people in our class thread group on facebook if that means anything :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've given up my spot here. Good luck to those who are still waiting and/or interviewing and to those who will be proud members of the inaugural class!!

I've given up my spot here. Good luck to those who are still waiting and/or interviewing and to those who will be proud members of the inaugural class!!

If I may ask.. where did you decide to go instead?

I just picked the one which I knew ahead of time would allow to stay with my family all four years.

OHSU? ;o) You must be working today? Ah science..

hey everyone ^^

I just a few questions.

Do the Pomona and Lebanon campuses have different adcoms or the same? It would seem kinda weird to send the exact same essay responses (expect last one of course) to both campuses if the same people will end up reading them.

Also, I'm looking for advice on how to approach the essay question of

Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.

Can I simply put "none" if my volunteer activities weren't with disadvantaged people? Any advice would be great on how to respond to that.

thanks.

OHSU? ;o) You must be working today? Ah science..

Alas, not yet, I'm still holding my breath to get off that post-interview hold list. It would be lovely to both be with my family and not have to find a new house/new job for my husb. :laugh::lol:

Alas, not yet, I'm still holding my breath to get off that post-interview hold list. It would be lovely to both be with my family and not have to find a new house/new job for my husb. :laugh::lol:

I have a lot of experience applying to OHSU, ugh. They just take forever. I have to say applying to DO schools was a breath of fresh air. I hope you end up in the best possible place for you! Good luck!

hey everyone ^^

I just a few questions.

Do the Pomona and Lebanon campuses have different adcoms or the same? It would seem kinda weird to send the exact same essay responses (expect last one of course) to both campuses if the same people will end up reading them.

Also, I'm looking for advice on how to approach the essay question of

Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.

Can I simply put "none" if my volunteer activities weren't with disadvantaged people? Any advice would be great on how to respond to that.

thanks.

I would advise you not to write "none" on that question! I volunteer at a medical outreach clinic for people that do not have insurance and can't afford to see a doctor in a private practice or in a hospital. I also volunteered for a food share program and my undergraduate club helped raise money to feed people in my community. I may not have your answers though but think hard about any differences you made in your community or a person that you helped that really needed it. Being a doctor is more than helping people achieve good health but in addition we need to be leaders in the community that we serve. Just really think about people that needed help the most and what you did in that situation. Hope this helps.

Sooooo, how'd it go? Seems that there is alot of talk for the first interviews and nothing after that! Higher ratio of SNDers in the first interviews? How was the experience for those that attended just this last interview on the 8th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooo, how'd it go? Seems that there is alot of talk for the first interviews and nothing after that! Higher ratio of SNDers in the first interviews? How was the experience for those that attended just this last interview on the 8th?

Hey JamesLMT, did Western accept you yet?

I interviewed on the 8th. It was great. Soooo much energy and enthusiasm for the school amongst students, faculty, admin etc... It seems like they are already very involved in the community too. They have adopted a class of students (kindergarten I think) and got them all WesternU sweat shirts. Cute!

The only thing that felt a little off to me was how short the interview was. It was very relaxed though.

Hope I hear good news soon!

Jen

It was pretty good there were 27 people there interviewing. We just sat and listened to presentations for a while, got a demonstration of OMM. Talked with 3rd and 4th year students. Went on a bus tour, then had our interviews. I had a good feeling leaving lebanon. So now just gotta wait.

I interviewed on the 8th. It was great. Soooo much energy and enthusiasm for the school amongst students, faculty, admin etc... It seems like they are already very involved in the community too. They have adopted a class of students (kindergarten I think) and got them all WesternU sweat shirts. Cute!

The only thing that felt a little off to me was how short the interview was. It was very relaxed though.

Hope I hear good news soon!

Jen

I totally agree! I had four people interviewing me for half an hour. Why not two half-hour interviews with two people each? Or two one-hour interviews with one person each? Same amount of person-hours.

I say this just as an observation and not a complaint :)

Hey guys. I was originally placed on a pre-interview hold, but recently got the call to interview in February. I was wondering if anyone knew how much of the class is filled. I would be spending a lot of money to get from here up to Lebanon and although I know I would love the place, am hesitant to go if the chances are minimal. Anyone have any insight? thanks.

Hey guys. I was originally placed on a pre-interview hold, but recently got the call to interview in February. I was wondering if anyone knew how much of the class is filled. I would be spending a lot of money to get from here up to Lebanon and although I know I would love the place, am hesitant to go if the chances are minimal. Anyone have any insight? thanks.
They said the class was ~40% filled when we (the Jan 8 interview group) showed up.

I totally agree! I had four people interviewing me for half an hour. Why not two half-hour interviews with two people each? Or two one-hour interviews with one person each? Same amount of person-hours.

I say this just as an observation and not a complaint :)

I have interviewed at other schools where there were one-on-one interviews and I felt like that setup was not as effective for getting to know me and finding out if i would be a good fit for their school. If that one person doesn't click with you for some reason, then you're screwed. Plus there's a lot of staring at each other and awkwardness, whereas with a group you can at least look around, and the other interviews can interject comments to keep things interesting.

I agree that the interview felt really short... perhaps being flexible with the amount of time based on how things are going would've been nice. But then again, I was accepted, so no complaints here.

I have interviewed at other schools where there were one-on-one interviews and I felt like that setup was not as effective for getting to know me and finding out if i would be a good fit for their school. If that one person doesn't click with you for some reason, then you're screwed. Plus there's a lot of staring at each other and awkwardness, whereas with a group you can at least look around, and the other interviews can interject comments to keep things interesting.

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, because I've really preferred one-on-one interviews :)

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, because I've really preferred one-on-one interviews :)

Yup- must be personal preference. You must be from Portland ay? Did you apply to OHSU as well? Good luck!

Yup- must be personal preference. You must be from Portland ay? Did you apply to OHSU as well? Good luck!

Yes, and that's where I had some one-on-one interviews that I liked!

I was accepted to WesternU-Lebanon, but I was so surprised!! I felt like I hadn't barely said anything about myself, or anything noteworthy in my interview!

Just got the call for the Feb 12th interview!! I guess I'll stay at Phoenix Suites...seems like it is where the majority stayed. Anyway, if anybody else is interviewing that day I'd love to meet up for dinner or something. Also, I will be renting a car if anyone needs a ride.

Just got the call for the Feb 12th interview!! I guess I'll stay at Phoenix Suites...seems like it is where the majority stayed. Anyway, if anybody else is interviewing that day I'd love to meet up for dinner or something. Also, I will be renting a car if anyone needs a ride.

Congrats!

Also got the call to interview on the 12th. Anybody know if there is anywhere to find out about the interview questions? There is no interview feedback for Lebanon, so should I assume the questions are the same as the Pomona campus interviews? Thanks..

Hey JamesLMT, did Western accept you yet?

Not yet... but it will happen. Out of all my other interviews, Western still holds the top spot.

It was pretty good there were 27 people there interviewing. We just sat and listened to presentations for a while, got a demonstration of OMM. Talked with 3rd and 4th year students. Went on a bus tour, then had our interviews. I had a good feeling leaving lebanon. So now just gotta wait.

Only 27? That is so strange. The interview year started off as a plan for 6 interview sessions, each containing 50 interviews each. Total of 300 vying for 100 spots. Our interview (way back in Oct.) only had 37, and then I hear of 27 here. I am starting to think that if they invite you to the interview they REALLY REALLY like you and you have the best chances to get in. 35(avg)x6 = 210 interviews for 100 spots... Each school over accepts. sooo I would say your chances for even late in the cycle are really good. If you get an invite, GO!

They said the class was ~40% filled when we (the Jan 8 interview group) showed up.

I.E. around 40 people. That's after the dec 15 deadline.

I agree that the interview felt really short... perhaps being flexible with the amount of time based on how things are going would've been nice. But then again, I was accepted, so no complaints here.

I agree with everything, the interview did feel short, but I believe that is one of the challenges in group interviews. You have to sway everybody in that room rather than just one. I think it's kinda fun actually.

Phoenix Suites is the perfect place, nice rooms, good service... well I wouldn't say great view as mine was a view of the police station and Adult shop, lol, but I would reccomend it. Breakfast was pretty scrumptious too.

Also got the call to interview on the 12th. Anybody know if there is anywhere to find out about the interview questions? There is no interview feedback for Lebanon, so should I assume the questions are the same as the Pomona campus interviews? Thanks..

Last I heard, due to the setup of the interviews, there is a set list of questions every applicant gets. I.e. not the same as the Pamona campus. I think some of the questions were stated on this thread; none of the Q's were hard however. T'was quite fun actually. Just know yourself, your reasons for medicine, your application, what human compassion is and why you have it, and why Western. You will be set. As always let yourself show, you are going to be talking to professionals in the medical field, that have been there for years. They know when your Bs'ing. They are just as excited to be part of Western as you are. Think of your interviewers as friends that are just talking about a subject that both of you love dearly, medicine.

Not yet... but it will happen. Out of all my other interviews, Western still holds the top spot.

Only 27? That is so strange. The interview year started off as a plan for 6 interview sessions, each containing 50 interviews each. Total of 300 vying for 100 spots. Our interview (way back in Oct.) only had 37, and then I hear of 27 here. I am starting to think that if they invite you to the interview they REALLY REALLY like you and you have the best chances to get in. 35(avg)x6 = 210 interviews for 100 spots... Each school over accepts. sooo I would say your chances for even late in the cycle are really good. If you get an invite, GO!

I.E. around 40 people. That's after the dec 15 deadline.

I agree with everything, the interview did feel short, but I believe that is one of the challenges in group interviews. You have to sway everybody in that room rather than just one. I think it's kinda fun actually.

Phoenix Suites is the perfect place, nice rooms, good service... well I wouldn't say great view as mine was a view of the police station and Adult shop, lol, but I would reccomend it. Breakfast was pretty scrumptious too.

Last I heard, due to the setup of the interviews, there is a set list of questions every applicant gets. I.e. not the same as the Pamona campus. I think some of the questions were stated on this thread; none of the Q's were hard however. T'was quite fun actually. Just know yourself, your reasons for medicine, your application, what human compassion is and why you have it, and why Western. You will be set. As always let yourself show, you are going to be talking to professionals in the medical field, that have been there for years. They know when your Bs'ing. They are just as excited to be part of Western as you are. Think of your interviewers as friends that are just talking about a subject that both of you love dearly, medicine.

I was totally intimidated with 3 very experienced professionals, all DOs, hanging on my not-very-eloquent answers to their basic questions. I was like, how about I shut up and you tell me all of your knowledge. But I think I let that show. Obviously I didn't actually say that.. but my attitude was just that with my experience so far I know that medicine is my calling. And I was very real about the idea that I don't know everything, but that the chance to become a DO is super valuable and that I will make the very most of the opportunity especially if it's in Lebanon. These are just thoughts, but this might be a good attitude to go in with. Like JamesLMT said, they can see through BS.

Thanks for the post JamesLMT. Much appreciated for those of us getting nervous about first interviews!

I looked through the interview questions for the Pomona campus and they are not close at all. (at least in my interview in November)
A lot of people said they wouldn't give away the interview questions because they use the same ones with each person and didn't want to give a "leg up" to the people interviewing later. BUT because I am not that type of person, and am not super competitive (plus I already was accepted and paid my two deposits) I have no problem sharing the interview questions I got. May my surprise and half-accurate memory be of some benefit to you, so you won't suffer the same shock I did:
The questions are strange. One of them I actually sat for a two full minutes (I was facing a clock) to think before responding.

1) First there is the general question, very open ended: Tell us about yourself, how you decided to become a physician, and why you decided to be a DO.

2) Role play. No, not that kind. They asked: pretend one of the interviewers is in a group project with you. The project is worth 50% of your grade and you only have 3 days to complete it. This person has not contributed at all. Please speak to them about it. I started talking to the interviewer asking if the understood the assignment.. etc etc.. they were uninterested and unwilling to agree... just keep at it.. I couldn't think of anything else to say after 5 minutes and the interviewers finally let me stop.

3) critical thinking multiple choice. They hand you a piece of paper with a statement then there are four possible explanations for the statement and outcome. They ask you to pick which statement best explains the outcome of the passage and why. They want to see if you have reasoning skills.

4) they get to pick what to ask you from a list of questions they were given. My interviewers asked me, "what is a mistake you have made recently?", "give us an example of a time you were an advocate for someone other than yourself", and "explain your experience with diversity and what you have learned".
I made a joke about being from Utah after that last question but I don't think they got it.
Anyway, I got accepted after giving painfully honest answers, pausing to think and following my gut reaction. I left the interview having no idea if I did well or bombed it.
Like I said earlier, I was really surprised by these questions, so hopefully this helps!

FYI: the email confirmation I got said that 43 spots have been filled.

I looked through the interview questions for the Pomona campus and they are not close at all. (at least in my interview in November)
A lot of people said they wouldn't give away the interview questions because they use the same ones with each person and didn't want to give a "leg up" to the people interviewing later. BUT because I am not that type of person, and am not super competitive (plus I already was accepted and paid my two deposits) I have no problem sharing the interview questions I got. May my surprise and half-accurate memory be of some benefit to you, so you won't suffer the same shock I did:
The questions are strange. One of them I actually sat for a two full minutes (I was facing a clock) to think before responding.

1) First there is the general question, very open ended: Tell us about yourself, how you decided to become a physician, and why you decided to be a DO.

2) Role play. No, not that kind. They asked: pretend one of the interviewers is in a group project with you. The project is worth 50% of your grade and you only have 3 days to complete it. This person has not contributed at all. Please speak to them about it. I started talking to the interviewer asking if the understood the assignment.. etc etc.. they were uninterested and unwilling to agree... just keep at it.. I couldn't think of anything else to say after 5 minutes and the interviewers finally let me stop.

3) critical thinking multiple choice. They hand you a piece of paper with a statement then there are four possible explanations for the statement and outcome. They ask you to pick which statement best explains the outcome of the passage and why. They want to see if you have reasoning skills.

4) they get to pick what to ask you from a list of questions they were given. My interviewers asked me, "what is a mistake you have made recently?", "give us an example of a time you were an advocate for someone other than yourself", and "explain your experience with diversity and what you have learned".
I made a joke about being from Utah after that last question but I don't think they got it.
Anyway, I got accepted after giving painfully honest answers, pausing to think and following my gut reaction. I left the interview having no idea if I did well or bombed it.
Like I said earlier, I was really surprised by these questions, so hopefully this helps!

LAAAAAAME dude.... lame. Your just Mr. Lamer Lamerson here. Giving away everything is lame. When your a doc your not gonna know whats coming all the time and you have to think on your feet. I didn't give the questions as not to give a "leg up" but so that the other interviewees would have the same time to think and act. You sir, are defeating the purpose. I would want my classmates (especially because you are already accepted) to be the quickest thinking ones, not the ones that give the question the most time to formulate a response. Besides wasn't there some confidentiality clause you signed? -10 points. (Btw, not in the least bit a gunner, just stating it how it is.) In any case, good luck to the last two sets of interviewees.

Last edited:
I agree with James, and frankly you don't really need a lot of prep time for the western questions. You'd be better off answering honestly instead of trying to script something.

However, I don't recall ever signing a NDA.

Accepted! Yes! I walked in the door last night at 12:15 a.m. after returning from my Touro-NV interview and found "The Letter" from WesternU. I had a very non-traditional route to this point so if anyone feels discouraged about possibly not getting in, PM me and I can tell you that it can be done if you never give up. I can't wait to meet my fellow classmates soon. Best of luck to everyone!

LAAAAAAME dude.... lame. Your just Mr. Lamer Lamerson here. Giving away everything is lame. When your a doc your not gonna know whats coming all the time and you have to think on your feet. I didn't give the questions as not to give a "leg up" but so that the other interviewees would have the same time to think and act. You sir, are defeating the purpose. I would want my classmates (especially because you are already accepted) to be the quickest thinking ones, not the ones that give the question the most time to formulate a response. Besides wasn't there some confidentiality clause you signed? -10 points. (Btw, not in the least bit a gunner, just stating it how it is.) In any case, good luck to the last two sets of interviewees.

Being able to think ahead of time won't change their life experiences, their ability to articulate a sentence or their critical thinking skills. Every other school lists out which questions they ask- why not help each other out here? Think what you want, but I shared because I wish someone would have shared with me. I will do the same as a medical student. I don't need others to have a disadvantage to succeed. I am also not at all concerned about the evaluation skills of the interviewers and ADCOM in choosing excellent classmates.
Making a joke about a lack of diversity in Utah was true and helped me explain that my experience with diversity was with the homeless, not ethnic diversity. I also stated in my interview "I have made a lot of mistakes in my life". Also at some point I told them that I struggle with learning from a book and have struggled to get better at it through my studies. So hey, if I could say that and they let me in, anyone's got a shot ;) I think being honest goes a long way. Showing exactly who you are shows sincerity and helps the interviewers determine if you are a good fit for the school. Oh and I am a "Ms. Lamerson" :)

I received the email saying there were 43 spots filled to my western U account mid-January.

and there was no confidentiality agreement.

James- I didn't give everything away, just a basic outline. If they can't think then it will still shine through.

Anyone hear back from Jan 8. interviews yet? I know I'm probably jumping the gun here a bit, but what can I say... I got a good feeling from Western :)

Anyone hear back from Jan 8. interviews yet? I know I'm probably jumping the gun here a bit, but what can I say... I got a good feeling from Western :)

I'm with you eggman! It sounds like they may be sending out acceptances for the Dec. 11th folks. So we may have a little more of a wait.

?????

I believe everyone from the December interviews already got invites. I got the call a couple days before Christmas. Letter was mailed out on the 17th

ps. they told us that they had 150 apps to go through (pomona + lebanon) and hoped to get it done the week after interviews, since otherwise we'd be waiting until sometime in January. So you guys should be soon... it sounded like there were less people to work through this month, from what other posters said.

I'm with you eggman! It sounds like they may be sending out acceptances for the Dec. 11th folks. So we may have a little more of a wait.

I interviewed in December and was placed on the waitlist (via phone call, December 18th). I then received a letter of acceptance yesterday dated January 10th.

Just received a phone call today for an interview on Feb 12th. Made my day because I was beginning to worry I wasn't going to hear anything.

Hey! I got a call for an interview today as well!
I sent my secondary in maybe a week ago, so I was pretty freakin excited! Feb 12! Awesome!

Hey! I got a call for an interview today as well!
I sent my secondary in maybe a week ago, so I was pretty freakin excited! Feb 12! Awesome!

Congrats!!! I think I sent mine in Dec 21st or so. Was getting stressed but I guess they probably weren't reviewing apps over christmas break.

Were are you coming from?

Hey, I am also interviewing on Feb 12th. Call the call today. I need to get a plane ticket and hotel room tomorrow. Exciting. Can't wait to meet all of you guys. From all the posts from people who have interviewed, it sounds awesome!!

I just received an interview invite (my first of four schools) for Feb. 12th!! Completely made my day :D

I'm flying in from the East Coast, so now I'm looking as to how to get to Lebanon - is car rental the only option?? Depending on flight times, I'd be more than willing to car pool with other people to Albany :)

I just received an interview invite (my first of four schools) for Feb. 12th!! Completely made my day :D

I'm flying in from the East Coast, so now I'm looking as to how to get to Lebanon - is car rental the only option?? Depending on flight times, I'd be more than willing to car pool with other people to Albany :)

I would be interested, depending on what time. I am flying from Cleveland.

renting a car is the best option. Lebanon is about 1 hour and 1/2 away from Portlands airport. You may be able to find a hotel that will shuttle you from the airport, but then you would still need to catch a ride to the school which is about 15 minutes away from nearby hotels.

My suggestion is rent a car so you can check out Portland and Lebanon. Carpool if you can that way you can save money and know someone at the interview because there is quite a bit of down time.

Good Luck:luck:

Hello fellow Feb 12th-ers.

I got the call on Jan 4th but I was sick so I rescheduled my interview for Feb. I will be coming down to Lebanon from Seattle via long drive I-5. Planning on staying at Phx Inn in Albany. I couldn't find the adult shop on google map via 'drag and drop'...

So, should I 'vest' or 'no vest'? Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!