WesternU MSMS 2020/2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeDO2021

Reaction score
Anyone applying this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Current MSMS Student here! Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions! I know the application just opened but I figured i'd get my name out there! Best of luck to those applying this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current MSMS Student here! Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions! I know the application just opened but I figured i'd get my name out there! Best of luck to those applying this year!

Can I ask your stats all around?! Like gpa, test score for whatever exam you were required to take like MCAT or DAT, and other stuff that think got you into the MSMS program? I just want to know if I will even have a chance or if I should wait until next cycle and build my application!

Reactions: 1 user
Can I ask your stats all around?! Like gpa, test score for whatever exam you were required to take like MCAT or DAT, and other stuff that think got you into the MSMS program? I just want to know if I will even have a chance or if I should wait until next cycle and build my application!

Yea of course! I had an undergrad GPA of 3.3. MCAT was 502. I had a lot of experience helping in underserved areas which WesternU is really big on. A lot of it wasn't necessarily in the medical field, but it was experience nonetheless. I took about 3 months crafting my personal statement and got it read over by plenty of professors, students, advisors, etc. Try to avoid having it read by people who know you well since random strangers will be the ones reading it. I hadn't shadowed at the time of applying. Regardless, I think if you are interested, you should apply! I know plenty of my classes have stats better than mine, but some have stats below mine also. WesternU really tries to focus in on the holistic approach when considering an applicant. I know this is cliche, but they don't judge you based on your past, but what potential they see in you.

The last thing you said really gives me hope! Thank you so much! And hope you’re killing it at WesternU!

Awesome! Also feel free to follow our Instagram Account where we'll share helpful tips and alumni spotlights, along with what to expect as a student in MSMS!

I am actually a re-applicant, and I was wondering in this position, would it be more beneficial write a new personal statement or to just update the one I have now? Since last year, I have done some new things and I was planning updating my personal statement appropriately to reflect that, but other significant past/current experiences have remained largely the same. I did talk to someone from admissions/recruitment who basically told me it was not necessary to write a whole new personal statement and it would be OK to just update the one I have now, but also that it was fine to write a new one if I chose to do so. Thank you for being so kind and answering questions for us!

I am actually a re-applicant, and I was wondering in this position, would it be more beneficial write a new personal statement or to just update the one I have now? Since last year, I have done some new things and I was planning updating my personal statement appropriately to reflect that, but other significant past/current experiences have remained largely the same. I did talk to someone from admissions/recruitment who basically told me it was not necessary to write a whole new personal statement and it would be OK to just update the one I have now, but also that it was fine to write a new one if I chose to do so. Thank you for being so kind and answering questions for us!

I think you should be fine to just update your current personal statement with the new experiences you now have. It's difficult to know for sure since I don't know how admissions thinks when considering reapplicants but if the new experiences just reassured what you already knew you wanted to do, then I find no reason to not just update your old personal statement. Take what I say with a grain of salt in this case. I may suggest writing a new personal statement and comparing the 2. Maybe having someone pick which one they think is stronger is also a good idea? But at the end of the day, it's your story so what ever makes it your story, would be the best way to move forward! Hope this helps!

The website says their decisions are made on a rolling basis, but I noticed that some people that submitted in October get one of the later interview dates. Anyone know why this is? Just want to know because I want to retake my DAT to make my application stronger but am worried that submitting my application later will lessen my chances of being accepted. Any info helps! Thanks.

I am currently
The website says their decisions are made on a rolling basis, but I noticed that some people that submitted in October get one of the later interview dates. Anyone know why this is? Just want to know because I want to retake my DAT to make my application stronger but am worried that submitting my application later will lessen my chances of being accepted. Any info helps! Thanks.
I was wondering this too. Ive already started inputting my info on my application and have sent in my transcripts but my DAT isnt until Nov. 7th so I don't know if I should submit my application now and have my DAT date on my application to tell them Im taking it soon or just to wait til I take it, update the score then submit...

Hi, I'm looking to apply to this program for 2020/2021 but have a few questions for current students. Are any of you out of state residents? if so what is the average rent in your area? How has the transition been into the program? What is the mcat and GPA requirement in the master's to get into the D.O. school? Thank you!

Sorry for the delay ya'll! The past few weeks have been super busy for us. A few of my classmates are out of state residents. Some live at the Daumier and others rent a house with a few other classmates. The Daum is probably the more option. I know a group of 3 live in a house in La Verne and they pay $2650 a month total. I'd say the transition from undergrad is definitely a big leap. From what we've heard from past alumni, the jump to COMP is an even bigger leap. So the MSMS program is a happy medium that will get you ready for med school more than your undergrad ever did. We are not given the MCAT requirement to get into COMP, but we assume that if you're over 500, you're pretty safe. From what i've heard, they only call in the people that need to retake it just to not make as big a deal about it. GPA requirement is also unknown and changes year to year. Past alumni have said that mid 3 is considered safe but always aim for higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be a reapplicant from last year. I applied really late last year (3 weeks before the deadline). Since my last application, I have taken a summer anatomy class and gotten an A, retook my dental admissions test and improved my score, got more dental experience work and will be planning on applying earlier.

For current or past students - would you recommend that I redo my entire personal statement or just add it and take bits and pieces from last year's essay? any advice would be great appreciated. i will also be applying to the MSBS program too.

Pre-dental here! @FutureDOctor0111 do you know roughly how many pre-dental students were accepted into the program for your class compared to pre-med?

Can any of the current students please share what email I need to send my DAT score report to if I am applying to the MSMS program?

Can any of the current students please share what email I need to send my DAT score report to if I am applying to the MSMS program?
I was informed from the MSBS program to use the email that we use to send electronic transcripts (The EDS one). Hope this helps!

Submitted this week! Fingers crossed for everyone applying :)

Submitted as of 11/26 :) I checked 12/4 and saw everything was verified afterwards, just a heads up for anyone wondering how long it may take to get cleared. Good luck to everyone applying <3

Two questions: my community colleges will only mail paper hard-copies of transcripts to the college. On the WesternU MSMS application checklist, it says that it is preferred that they are delivered electronically, so will paper copies be an issue other than them taking longer to be delivered?

Also, my application says it is missing "Reference - Science Professor Reviewed", even though all three of the letters have been submitted (two of which are science professors). Any know what this means? Thanks!

Two questions: my community colleges will only mail paper hard-copies of transcripts to the college. On the WesternU MSMS application checklist, it says that it is preferred that they are delivered electronically, so will paper copies be an issue other than them taking longer to be delivered?

Also, my application says it is missing "Reference - Science Professor Reviewed", even though all three of the letters have been submitted (two of which are science professors). Any know what this means? Thanks!

I sent in paper transcripts for one school and it went through just fine. The science professor checkbox should change once everything else is in and they check your letters. :)

Hoping to submit my app by Sunday. Am I too late? :-(

I submitted my application in early December, but have not heard back. I am pre-dent and I got one LOR from an optometrist and one from a dentist. Currently I am having difficulties getting my third LOR from a science professor since I have left the school for over two years. One professor actually did agree to help me with that, but she stopped replying to my email and I think that means no. Do I hold any chance if I only got two LOR instead of three? Are they flexible on this? thanks in advance!

I submitted my application in early December, but have not heard back. I am pre-dent and I got one LOR from an optometrist and one from a dentist. Currently I am having difficulties getting my third LOR from a science professor since I have left the school for over two years. One professor actually did agree to help me with that, but she stopped replying to my email and I think that means no. Do I hold any chance if I only got two LOR instead of three? Are they flexible on this? thanks in advance!
I think one of the requirements for the MSMS program is to have a science professor's letter. best of luck! Has your application been sent in for review yet?

Has anyone heard back yet for interviews? I submitted early/mid December and was just informed yesterday that my application has been sent to the Admissions Committee and it's ready to be reviewed. I applied last year pretty late but didn't get this email at all. lol

A science professor recommendation is required. I went to the Preview Day and someone brought up that they didn’t think they could get a letter from a science professor because they had been out of undergrad for a while and the advisor basically said that they need to figure it out. If I were you, I’d email that professor again until they respond! Admissions won’t look at your application until that is in there. Best of luck!

Has anyone heard back yet for interviews? I submitted early/mid December and was just informed yesterday that my application has been sent to the Admissions Committee and it's ready to be reviewed. I applied last year pretty late but didn't get this email at all. lol
I asked Julie and she said first batch of interviews won’t hear until February. Depending on how ahead or behind they are on applications, we could hear 1-2 weeks before the date of the interview. If you just got that email then that means they just now got all of your application materials, so all you can do now is wait! Good luck!

I asked Julie and she said first batch of interviews won’t hear until February. Depending on how ahead or behind they are on applications, we could hear 1-2 weeks before the date of the interview. If you just got that email then that means they just now got all of your application materials, so all you can do now is wait! Good luck!
Thank you ! :) you too!!!

Current student here
They will not receive or look at your application until ALL requirements are satisfied. All applications first go to the Admissions office, the admissions office will not forward your application to the College of Biomedical Sciences (which the MSMS program is in) until they receive all the required material.

If you are pre-dent then I would highly suggest getting LOR from dentists only. As for getting a LOR from a science professor, I would immediately look into taking a science class at a Junior college. The short 5-6 week winter semester is just about to start at many junior colleges and will end before the deadline so you will still be okay.

Current student here
My advice: when interviews start coming out don't stress out! A lot of students applied early and got a late interview date and many others applied late and got an early interview date. They will thoroughly look through each application carefully and decide.

Acceptance is not entirely based on numbers alone. Some students that got accepted with a low gpa/test scores are doing better than those who got accepted with a high gpa/test scores. That's why it's important to be a well-rounded applicant, because there are many other factors that contribute to success throughout this program.

Current student here
My advice: when interviews start coming out don't stress out! A lot of students applied early and got a late interview date and many others applied late and got an early interview date. They will thoroughly look through each application carefully and decide.

Acceptance is not entirely based on numbers alone. Some students that got accepted with a low gpa/test scores are doing better than those who got accepted with a high gpa/test scores. That's why it's important to be a well-rounded applicant, because there are many other factors that contribute to success throughout this program.
Hi, thanks so much for this!

Is there suppose to be a CV for attachement in the application? I know for previous years they had a CV to turn in?

For anyone curious about timelines -- Received an email this week letting me know that my application was sent to the admissions committee. I submitted early December and was marked complete about two weeks later.

Last edited:
Did anyone use parts of their dental school or medical school personal statement for the MSMS personal statement?

Might be jumping the gun here, but I know people said II begins in February, anyone know how early/late in the month?

They removed their February interview date off their website. The earliest they are listing is March. I'm assuming they pushed back their February interview date.

They removed their February interview date off their website. The earliest they are listing is March. I'm assuming they pushed back their February interview date.

Oh wow interesting, good to know, thank you!

Confirmed with Julie, interviews have been pushed back to March.

Hi everyone! I'm new to SDN and was just curious if anyone heard back about interview yet with westernU. Good luck for everyone out there

Hi! Would it be too late to apply lol the application deadline is today so will I just be throwing away money if submit it today?

Hi! Would it be too late to apply lol the application deadline is today so will I just be throwing away money if submit it today?
So I went to their preview day and some of their current students said that it doesn't really matter if you apply on the last day. It's not really a rolling admission thing. If you're sure that your application is good and you're happy with it then I don't see why not :). I applied super early back in December but I've been looking back at my app and just dreading some stuff. Small things such as "I should've added more to my experience writing, or elaborated more on my experiences."

Hi everyone! I'm new to SDN and was just curious if anyone heard back about interview yet with westernU. Good luck for everyone out there
I submitted my application at the end of December... but still haven't heard back yet! :(

Just got an II!! Check your emails.

Reactions: 4 users