What are my chances? (3.18/3.43/520)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyanLam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a very unique application and a very interesting story.

Based on AMCAS Table 24 (https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf), 80/85 black or AA applicants were accepted with an MCAT of 36-38 (yours is equivalent to a 37). You do have a significant upward trend which will help and, I think, a pretty good excuse for your early grades (not being fluent in English). Your ECs are above average and you have some cool non-medical ECs. You also have a much higher science GPA.

Given that, I don't think it's worth it or necessary for you to take any more classes. Remember that 10th percentile GPA means that 10% of accepted applicants have a lower GPA and usually a reason for it. You fall into that category.

However, coming up with a school list will be a lot more challenging.

First, you should apply to all of the historically black medical schools (Howard, Meherry, Morehouse, and Charles Drew / UCLA). Second, you should apply to any state medical schools from your state of residence (what state are you from?).
Next, you should create a solid list of top schools with several mid tier schools sprinkled in to hedge your bets a bit. Here are the schools I recommend:

Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, NYU, Rochester, Einstein, USC-Keck (since it's on your list), Yale, UCSF, Pitt, Emory, and Case Western.

+ some more, up to probably a total of 25 schools.

I left off schools that have a reputation for putting stats above everything else (WashU, etc).

Your application is a very unique case and I am no expert, but that should give you a good starting point. It's probably not worth it to apply to schools that are low-yield (high volume of applicants per seat, low interview rates, etc). Your best chances are going to be at your state schools, the historically black schools, and the NYC schools.

Reactions: 1 user