MD What are my chances: atypical applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atay Hlou

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Note: This post has been edited for anonymity purposes.
Thank you for your thoughtful answers, I have a better understanding of where I stand at this point.

Summary (Edited):
I am applying next summer to MD schools, and would like some advice/opinions/guidance on what schools I should apply to.

- NY resident, female, mixed race (AA/White).
3.35 GPA and 3.30 sGPA (good upward trend for both), 520 MCAT (505 on first take)

- Overcame language barrier coming to the US. Created a university club to teach english to ESL students in low income communities. Speak 4 languages.

- 2000 hours of clinical experience, 1000 hours of research, 500 hours of community service.

Favorite schools:
USC Keck; UCLA; UCSF; NYU; Mount Sinai; Columbia; UMiami; USF; BU; UChicago; ...; + any other school that is in a large metropolitan city;

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest adding all these schools to your list:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
St. Louis
Tulane
What is your native country?

Deleted original comment because I did not know OP demographic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that you listed arabic as your native language, are you sure you are considered URM?

I saw that you listed arabic as your native language, are you sure you are considered URM?

I am looking straight at a mirror right now... and... yep! My race didn't change. Still URM.
Thank you for caring.

I am looking straight at a mirror right now... and... yep! My race didn't change. Still URM.
Thank you for caring.
I wasn't trying to be offensive. However there was a thread not too long ago about egyptians considering themselves african american.
Apologies

Reactions: 1 users
OP is URM. Crept thru her post history. Half AA and white = URM.

Wow. 15 point improvement on MCAT. That's actually incredible.

I think you'll do fine next cycle. Your MCAT is outstanding and you have a pretty good story and well-rounded EC's/hobbies. Good luck!

You should state that on your application. As a full URM, you are taking a spot away from others who are fully affected by the struggle. Be honest with yourself.

As a full URM, this is not true. She should state that state both races on her application.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while.

Reactions: 2 users
You should state that on your application. As a full URM, you are taking a spot away from others who are fully affected by the struggle. Be honest with yourself.

*lived in Africa before moving to US* *had to learn English right before entering college* *overcame both low grades and MCAT most likely due to English skills and/or cultural reasons after moving from Africa*

I don't understand how much more you want her to struggle just for being half white.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
*lived in Africa before moving to US* *had to learn English right before entering college* *overcame both low grades and MCAT most likely due to English skills and/or cultural reasons after moving from Africa*

I don't understand how much more you want her to struggle just for being half white.

I didn'tt say anything about struggling. I said she should just state both races. Where in my post did I say struggle?

I didn'tt say anything about struggling. I said she should just state both races. Where in my post did I say struggle?

"you are taking a spot away from others who are fully affected by the struggle."

"you are taking a spot away from others who are fully affected by the struggle."

The struggle which is being a URM in medicine. I never said anything about wanting her to struggle or suffer. She should simply state both races (which probably won't matter much otherwise URM wouldn't be URMs) on her application. As opposed to just claiming URM.

The struggle which is being a URM in medicine. I never said anything about wanting her to struggle or suffer. She should simply state both races (which probably won't matter much otherwise URM wouldn't be URMs) on her application. As opposed to just claiming URM.
People can check whatever box they like.

Hello,

I am applying next summer to MD schools, and would like some advice/opinions/guidance on what schools I should apply to.

About me:
- NY resident, Female, URM, American Citizen.
- Major: Public Health and Chemistry;
- Minor: Mathematics and Philosophy
- Lived in Africa before college. Took a year off between high school and college to learn English. Was barely conversational before then, English is my 3rd language.
- Speak 4 languages (French and Arabic - native (mother tongue); English - fluent; Spanish - conversational).

Numbers (by the time of application):
- MCAT: 520 (retake from 505) --> Chem: 130; CARS: 128; Bio: 130; Psych: 132;
- GPA: 3.35; sGPA: 3.30.
- GPA trend:
Freshman --> 18 credits each semester --> 2.75 GPA
Sophomore --> 18 credits each semester --> 3.23 GPA
Summer --> 4 credits --> 3.7 GPA
Junior --> 20 credits each semester --> 3.73 GPA
Summer --> 4 credits --> 4.0 GPA
Senior year --> 20 credits each semester --> 3.86 GPA (as of end of Fall semester senior year)

--> Given the high amount of credits I have taken during college, a post-bac program would only slightly impact my GPA and sGPA, and is thus probably not worth the price for me.

Activities:
- Research: 1000 hours (2/3rd is bench research); 1 publication in public health; 2 posters in public health;
- Clinical Experience/shadowing: 2000 hours (abroad and nationally);
- Volunteering: 500 hours; Mostly teaching; Founder of a university club that teaches english to ESL students in low income communities;
- Extra curricular activities: skydiving and scuba diving (both licensed); trekking/camping
- Artistic Endeavour: Compose music, 2 songs released online with a considerable number of views

Any advice on activities that I could do during my last semester and that would strongly improve my chances to get into medical school would be helpful.
—> So, what are my chances?

Favorite schools:
USC Keck; UCLA; UCSF; NYU; Mount Sinai; Columbia; UMiami; USF; BU; UChicago; ...; + any other school that is in a large metropolitan city;
I suggest the following:

UCSF
Duke
Case
Hofstra
dartmouth
Einstein
All SUNYs
Rochester
Netter
Morehouse
UCLA/Drew
Meherry
Howard
JHU
Vandy
Harvard
Yale
All Manhattan Titans
WashU OR U Penn OR U Chicago
Keck
U VM
U Miami
Gtown
GWU
Loyola
Tulane
Northwestern

I suggest the following:

UCSF
Duke
Case
Hofstra
dartmouth
Einstein
All SUNYs
Rochester
Netter
Morehouse
UCLA/Drew
Meherry
Howard
JHU
Vandy
Harvard
Yale
All Manhattan Titans
WashU OR U Penn OR U Chicago
Keck
U VM
U Miami
Gtown
GWU
Loyola
Tulane
Northwestern

Goro, would you advise the same school list if I decided not to disclose my race or ethnicity (basically not URM)? What if I were chinese american ORM?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise more conservatively if one is ORM.

How much more conservative are we talking? Are you removing only the big titans or changing the whole list?

Removing a lot of Top Schools and narrowing down the MD schools, while adding DO schools.

UCSF, Duke, Vandy, Case, Pitt, Vandy, Mayo still reward reinvention.

Thank you Goro for answering this fast,
happy new year btw :)

Reactions: 1 users