This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LarutanT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying this fall to three Pharmacy schools: University of Texas, Texas Tech, and University of Houston and am super nervous about getting in because of a few factors that I am very embarrassed to have. My first choice school is UT austin but I am afraid I am not going to get in because it is very competitive and is known to just be difficult to get into. Here are my stats for application and why I am nervous. Please tell me what you think my chances are.

I currently attend the University of Texas at Austin and am a Biology major. I graduate this December so I will be applying to pharmacy school with a Bachelor's Degree.

1) GPA: 3.7, Science and Math GPA: 3.86. I know these gpa calculations may not be the same based on PharmCas due to them calculation a range of gpa's but this is what UT shows me that I have. I am SUPERRRR nervous about this bc my freshman first semester I got an F (gpa = 0) in psychology class due to academic dishonesty, and bc of it that destroyed my gpa that first year. I have obviously managed to salvage my gpa from that but I am scared to death about the pharmacy schools seeing that and automatically rejecting me.

2) Pcat: 89% composite. Ugh, another aspect that I am embarrassed about. I did okay on the PCAT and only took it once (not as well as I thought I would). UT austin has a pretty high average PCAT for entering students and I do not feel very good about this. I absolutely BOMBED my quantitative section which lowered my composite by alot and it looks sketch that I could have wrecked that section of the pcat so badly. Since I took the pcat this September, I can't take another one before apps are due for UT. Here is a better look at my pcat Verbal: 82%
Biology: 95%
Chemistry: 95%
Reading: 76%
Quantitative: 39% (omg)
Composite: 89%

3) Work Experience/extracurricular: I currently work 3 jobs. I am a pharm tech at a retail chain but have only been there a few months, I am an undergraduate research assistant in a molecular biology lab at my university and have been there for about 9 months, and have worked in library for about 2.5 years. I dont have much volunteer experience ( roughly 50 hours only) bc I work like 20 hours a week along with being a full time student unfortunately. I am part of a pharmacy group on campus and am pretty active for the past 2 years and am a board member of a newly formed charity.

4) References: Have 3, working on 4. I think they are decent, I obviously waived my right to view them so IDK.

Help guys.plz

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm applying this fall to three Pharmacy schools: University of Texas, Texas Tech, and University of Houston and am super nervous about getting in because of a few factors that I am very embarrassed to have. My first choice school is UT austin but I am afraid I am not going to get in because it is very competitive and is known to just be difficult to get into. Here are my stats for application and why I am nervous. Please tell me what you think my chances are.

I currently attend the University of Texas at Austin and am a Biology major. I graduate this December so I will be applying to pharmacy school with a Bachelor's Degree.

1) GPA: 3.7, Science and Math GPA: 3.86. I know these gpa calculations may not be the same based on PharmCas due to them calculation a range of gpa's but this is what UT shows me that I have. I am SUPERRRR nervous about this bc my freshman first semester I got an F (gpa = 0) in psychology class due to academic dishonesty, and bc of it that destroyed my gpa that first year. I have obviously managed to salvage my gpa from that but I am scared to death about the pharmacy schools seeing that and automatically rejecting me.

2) Pcat: 89% composite. Ugh, another aspect that I am embarrassed about. I did okay on the PCAT and only took it once (not as well as I thought I would). UT austin has a pretty high average PCAT for entering students and I do not feel very good about this. I absolutely BOMBED my quantitative section which lowered my composite by alot and it looks sketch that I could have wrecked that section of the pcat so badly. Since I took the pcat this September, I can't take another one before apps are due for UT. Here is a better look at my pcat Verbal: 82%

3) Work Experience/extracurricular: I currently work 3 jobs. I am a pharm tech at a retail chain but have only been there a few months, I am an undergraduate research assistant in a molecular biology lab at my university and have been there for about 9 months, and have worked in library for about 2.5 years. I dont have much volunteer experience ( roughly 50 hours only) bc I work like 20 hours a week along with being a full time student unfortunately. I am part of a pharmacy group on campus and am pretty active for the past 2 years and am a board member of a newly formed charity.

4) References: Have 3, working on 4. I think they are decent, I obviously waived my right to view them so IDK.

Help guys.plz

The F will bring your PharmCAS GPA down because they add all classes into the calculation with few exceptions - failing class is not one of them. Also, be ready to write at least one essay on what happened with the class you failed for academic dishonesty. Some schools will automatically dismiss your application for that; some will still consider you. You should talk to the admissions counselor at the schools you're applying to to find out for sure.

As for PCAT, again talk to the admissions counselor to find out if they have a section minimum for anything and let them know all of your scores.

My current GPA includes that F in the calculation, so my GPA shouldnt decrease once PharmCas calculates it. I didn't realize some school have a minimum subsection score so that's definitely something I will do thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
My current GPA includes that F in the calculation, so my GPA shouldnt decrease once PharmCas calculates it. I didn't realize some school have a minimum subsection score so that's definitely something I will do thanks!

I'm sorry for misunderstanding that part about the GPA. That's good it won't go down, but be ready to explain what happened.

I know some schools also have minimum scores on the writing section too, but not all do. It never hurts to ask though that way you don't end up with an unpleasant surprise when it comes time for interview invites to be sent out.

Your GPA and PCAT are great, better than mine were. Retaking is not necessary. I'm much more interested in your activities outside the classroom. It's impressive that you can juggle several jobs while doing well in school. It shows admissions that you can handle the heavy workload of pharmacy school. Your volunteer hours are more than enough.

I received an F in English class. Later on I got an A (all English classes).
I did poorly on Pcat (<4 in composition).
I just received an invitation to an interview.

On the pharmcas, you must discuss that F or probations that you had. You must also tell them that you learned from that and show them that you did better after that.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely clarify and give explanation in respect to the academic dishonesty that resulted in an F for the class in your personal essay statement on PharmCAS.

Reactions: 1 users

Help guys.plz

I got a F in Ochem, still received 5 interview invitations last year and ended up in my 1st choice school now. I would suggest you to apply for few more schools as back up. So you don't waste your time, money and opportunities waiting for the next cycle, If the worst case happens.

Goodluck

I got a F in Ochem, still received 5 interview invitations last year and ended up in my 1st choice school now. I would suggest you to apply for few more schools as back up. So you don't waste your time, money and opportunities waiting for the next cycle, If the worst case happens.
Goodluck

Was that your original grade, and you retook, and got a higher grade? Or you actually applied and got accepted with an F in Ochem??? The pharmacy schools I'm looking at won't even accept pre-reqs with a C- or less.

Was that your original grade, and you retook, and got a higher grade? Or you actually applied and got accepted with an F in Ochem??? The pharmacy schools I'm looking at won't even accept pre-reqs with a C- or less.

I retook ochem with the same professor, and got an A. I also got a rec letter from that professor.

I retook ochem with the same professor, and got an A. I also got a rec letter from that professor.

Ah that makes sense... thanks for clearing that up. Good job and congrats on your acceptance!