This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are my chances at podiatry schools with my stats:
-MCAT 23 7 PS, 5 V, 11 BS
-3.98 cGPA, 3.90 sGPA
-medical scribe for 1 year
-2 years of research , one publication
-shadowed family medicine, primary, pediatric, NO podiatry (will plan to do it soon)
-community service
-minority hispanic, ESL, overcame adversity
-some leadership

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances at podiatry schools with my stats:
-MCAT 23 7 PS, 5 V, 11 BS
-3.98 cGPA, 3.90 sGPA
-medical scribe for 1 year
-2 years of research , one publication
-shadowed family medicine, primary, pediatric, NO podiatry (will plan to do it soon)
-community service
-minority hispanic, ESL, overcame adversity
-some leadership

Make sure podiatry is what you want to do by first shadowing a pod. If you enjoy it get a letter from said pod and go ahead and apply. You'll be fine.

By the way, there is a thread for this.

All you people with crazy high GPA's are depressing me. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am getting ready to submit in a day or two. I wanted to know what you guys thought about my chances for acceptance. I have strong letters of recommendation including 1 from a podiatrist I shadowed for over a year. I have a research publication and a letter of recommendation from my lead investigator. I have a cumuluative GPA of 3.1 and a science GPA at like a 2.8 and my MCAT is a 23 after I improved 6 points from my previous exam. I have a good amount of retakes but thats because I had alot of stuff happen during undergrad that messed me up academically but no F's just some C's. I am mostly a B student honestly.

You mentioned you have a letter from the lead investigator, is this person going to speak of you academically or of your work ethics during your research? I believe your letter writer has to be anundergraduate science professor who has a knowledge of your academic capabilities. Also, be prepared to explain your retakes and what you are going to do differently if they accept you.

Best of luck.

You mentioned you have a letter from the lead investigator, is this person going to speak of you academically or of your work ethics during your research? I believe your letter writer has to be anundergraduate science professor who has a knowledge of your academic capabilities. Also, be prepared to explain your retakes and what you are going to do differently if they accept you.

Best of luck.

I have a letter from a professor as well. The lead investigator most likely talked about what I did and how I was of value to the publication of the article. I was given authorship for my contributions. Either way, I feel like the GPA's will probably screw me a tad bit. Especially since I am only applying to two schools since I won't go anywhere too far from my hometown.

Especially since I am only applying to two schools since I won't go anywhere too far from my hometown.

Are you sure about that? Really the two school decision may be a good decision if you are talking about applying to Scholl and Kent State that usually have 100+ students per class, but if you are talking about the schools in the west then I think it would be best to widen your horizons and realize that your dream jobs comes first and if it meant sacrificing living far from your hometown then go for it...with an exception if you already have a wife who has a great job in your area.

Are you sure about that? Really the two school decision may be a good decision if you are talking about applying to Scholl and Kent State that usually have 100+ students per class, but if you are talking about the schools in the west then I think it would be best to widen your horizons and realize that your dream jobs comes first and if it meant sacrificing living far from your hometown then go for it...with an exception if you already have a wife who has a great job in your area.

Lol those are the two schools!

I assumed those were the two more because those are two of my top three choices and location is a key for why I would pick one of those two schools if I get accepted. Kent State has an amazing looking building. I went on a trip to their pod school and it looks like a Renaissance castle and then I when I was in Miami I looked at Barry and it was nothing more than a two story building with no resemblance of what you'd expect a podiatry school to look like. There was a very small sign that it was even part of Barry University. When I looked at the school it was in a very bad area of Miami.

I forgot my old login information so I had to make a new account to run this by you guys

Potentially everything but AzPod and Western
2. 3.05/3.0
3. 23 (retaking for hopes of 26+)
4. 80+ hours (2 LoR's from Podiatrists)
5. 50+ hours university cancer center, 80+ working with physical therapist at university
6. 200+ hours items for local elementary school, ~100+ family crisis centers

Looking for input if it is too late to apply due to low GPA. Also suggestions on schools are welcomed, I've thinking of sticking to only the larger ones due to looking at statistics of prior students.

It's still early in the cycle and your stats are fine for most of the schools so you probably don't need a retake unless DMU is your #1 choice. Should be fine everywhere else

Applied to all of them
- GPA: 3.66, Science: 3.52
MCAT: Awaiting scores still (Averaged a 27/28 on all the practice tests) will update in a week when I should get them
- Shadowed three podiatrists over a year and was in a pre-pod student immersion program at one of the universities which let me shadow students and faculty for a few days
-I have overkill hours on volunteering stuff (red cross assistance, booster clubs, helping others in foreign countries etc) and awards
- Volunteered at a hospital for 6 months before moving as well, also have a few hundred hours at a hospice and counting

Last edited:
Applied to all of them
MCAT: Awaiting scores still (Averaged a 27/28 on all the practice tests) will update in a week when I should get them
- Shadowed three podiatrists over a year and was in a pre-pod student immersion program at one of the universities which let me shadow students and faculty for a few days
-Was military for 6 years so I have overkill hours on volunteering stuff (red cross assistance, booster clubs, helping others in foreign countries etc) and awards
- Volunteered at a hospital for 6 months before moving as well, also have a few hundred hours at a hospice and counting
Great stats and ec. The only thing you need are the letter of rec. you'll prob get scholarship too, gl

Hello,

I'm in the process of applying to all 9 Podiatry Schools and my stats are as follows:

cGPA: 3.94/sGPA: 3.96
MCAT Score: 20 (Verbal: 8, Biological sciences: 8, Physical Sciences: 4)
Podiatry Experience: none so far,* but plan on starting to shadow this month and continue to 1 time weekly until I submit my application in a few months or so)
Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: Medical Scribe in ED and Primary Care/Geriatric Clinic for 15+ months
Volunteering: Hospital volunteer 110 hrs, C.A.S.A (Court Appointed Special Advocate for Abused and Neglected Children): 200 hrs, as well as minimal hours at: San Antonio State Mental Hosptial, Habitat for Humanity, S.A. Headwaters Sanctuary, etc.
Extra Curricular: VP of my university's Health Professions society for 1 year, Secretary of Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society for 1 year, Alpha Chi Honor Society member
Honors: Dean's List all semesters, Excellence In Biology Award x2, Suma Cum Laude.

I also graduated in 3 years instead of 4 and am a Hispanic female (not sure if that helps or not)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'm in the process of applying to all 9 Podiatry Schools and my stats are as follows:

Podiatry Experience: none so far,* but plan on starting to shadow this month and continue to 1 time weekly until I submit my application in a few months or so)
Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: Medical Scribe in ED and Primary Care/Geriatric Clinic for 15+ months
Volunteering: Hospital volunteer 110 hrs, C.A.S.A (Court Appointed Special Advocate for Abused and Neglected Children): 200 hrs, as well as minimal hours at: San Antonio State Mental Hosptial, Habitat for Humanity, S.A. Headwaters Sanctuary, etc.
Extra Curricular: VP of my university's Health Professions society for 1 year, Secretary of Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society for 1 year, Alpha Chi Honor Society member
Honors: Dean's List all semesters, Excellence In Biology Award x2, Suma Cum Laude.

I also graduated in 3 years instead of 4 and am a Hispanic female (not sure if that helps or not)

Thanks!

When are you planning on submitting an application? Since you don't have a particular school in mind, someone will take you, especially the schools with bigger class sizes. If, however, you are seeking admissions to AZPOD, DMU, or Western, then you definitely need to retake that MCAT. Your high GPA can only get you so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied to all of them
-Was military for 6 years so I have overkill hours on volunteering stuff (red cross assistance, booster clubs, helping others in foreign countries etc) and awards

I would suggest that you save yourself some money and narrow down the number of schools you want to go. Travelling for interviews is expensive, especially from one coast to the other. Research all the schools and see what they have to offer. And really pay attention to stats such as attrition rate, first-time board pass rate, residency placement rate. You want to go to a school that cares about your education.

If your MCAT score is around your average, you will get into all the schools you apply to plus generous scholarships will be offered as well.

I've been on this forum for a while, finally decided to put my account to use

- Applying to Barry, Kent State, New York, Scholl, and Temple
- cGPA: 3.12/sGPA: 2.86
- MCAT Score 26, 7PS 11VR 8BS
-Currently shadowing a podiatrist, 10 hours so far, will continue shadowing after sending app (yes I am sure I want to be a podiatrist)
-600 Hours as a Medical Assistant for an overnight summer camp
-Part of a student organization competitive dance team for 3 years, was team manager for 2 years. Currently president of the organization and captain of team.
-30 hours volunteering at an animal shelter
-25 hours volunteering at a food bank

That science GPA is bit below par, but I think you'll be okay at all the schools you listed. Just work on getting that pod letter. Good Luck.

You'll interviews at most, if not all schools. Your GPA is on the low side, so plan to justify it. I would recommend shadowing soon and getting the application submitted ASAP to better your chances. You can continue to shadow after submitting, so that you know all that podiatry entails.

When are you planning on submitting an application? Since you don't have a particular school in mind, someone will take you, especially the schools with bigger class sizes. If, however, you are seeking admissions to AZPOD, DMU, or Western, then you definitely need to retake that MCAT. Your high GPA can only get you so far.
Western's MCAT standards aren't that high

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

Thanks!
With such a high GPA I would suggest to just apply. If they say to retake then do so but I doubt they will. Podzilla might be right about retaking. If I were in your shoes I would apply and see what happens. I would even give the school a call and ask them for advice.

I echo what SLCpod has said and want to add that a "20" MCAT is within the range of all schools; But, NYCPM's minimum MCAT matriculated last year was 20. So, NYCPM might be a bit of a reach with a 20.

Last edited:
Okay thanks for your advice, I honestly don't want to retake the MCAT , but I will if that's what it comes down to. I am confident I can raise my score as this score of 20 was on my first try and with little to no studying prior (very dumb of me I know.)

Hi all!
New forum member here. I'm currently in the process of applying and am trying to get my personal statement finalized. I'm not the best writer so I really need all the help i can get. Is there anyone here who would be willing to read my statement and offer advice on how I can improve it? I had it read by my pre-med advisor but I didn't find his suggestions very helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, here are my stats if anyone could provide their opinion on my chances of getting in.
I'm applying to all schools.
Cum GPA: 3.05
Sci GPA: 2.72
MCAT: 23 8 bio/ 8 verbal/ 7 phys
22 8 bio/ 6 verbal/ 8 phys
I recently graduated back in May. I really messed up my freshman year and got 4 C's and two D's that are still haunting me today. My GPA over the last four semesters ranged from a 3.23-3.46. I just received too many B's in science courses to help bring up my science GPA more.
I've been shadowing an awesome podiatrist since the end of August and he is writing a letter of rec for me. I've also been shadowing a family friend who works at the same clinic since the beginning of summer. He's a great DO general surgeon who is also writing a letter of rec, but I'm not sure how much good it'll do for a podiatry application. Over the summer I also went through a pre-med committee interview which will probably be the letter that has the biggest impact on my application.
The biggest volunteering activity I have done was a year ago when I went on a medical mission brigade to Honduras. It was an amazing experience and I'm hoping it's something that will help me in my admissions process. I know that it really helps with applications for MD and DO, but I'm not positive how much it helps with podiatry. I guess it can't hurt!
I'm taking an anatomy class right now that would bring my science GPA up to a 2.76 if I get an A. I've seen that the recommended GPA (and cutoff for some) is a 2.75 so I'm cutting it close. I know I'm getting late in the application process especially since my stats are quite bad so I'm really trying to get my app sent in ASAP without compromising quality. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't mean to sound ignorant and an a-hole but how in the world does someone with that high of a GPA get that MCAT score? The MCAT score is good enough to get into a school but one major question you'll be getting as to why you haven't shadowed a podiatrist until now is "So did you decide podiatry BEFORE or AFTER you got your MCAT scores back?" They may not even come out and say it, but that will be in the back of their mind when they look at your application. At least that is how I would expect an admissions committee to think of how someone with a 3.94 GPA who is just now shadowing a podiatrist.

I have a question, did you just not study that hard for the MCAT and expect to coast by?

How long have you REALLY wanted to be a podiatrist? Like I said, this may come off as ignorant questions but if you really want to be a DO or MD then study some more for the MCAT and go down that route. It is just that many applicants applying that have wanted to go into podiatry would have shadowed a podiatrist by now.

And for the Hispanic female part, it does not and SHOULD NOT help (Like I said, I sound ignorant. I don't care!!). I truly don't believe in a higher institution (especially the medical field) should look at someone's race and compare it to others to make a decision. If I were an admissions committee I could care less if you were black, white, Asian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, Male, Female, or Transsexual as long as you have shown the ability to keep up with your courses in undergrad...in which your GPA has shown you definitely can.

My advice: First figure out if you do want to go down the podiatry route. Get the shadowing done NOW and quicker than later! Put application through during the shadowing process. Make sure you have the LOR before applying. Get the interview done with and if they really are worried about your MCAT and GPA negative correlation and ask you to retake it you would then have time to study more (I really wouldn't expect them to ask, but it is always good to plan ahead).

And for the Hispanic female part, it does not and SHOULD NOT help (Like I said, I sound ignorant. I don't care!!). I truly don't believe in a higher institution (especially the medical field) should look at someone's race and compare it to others to make a decision. If I were an admissions committee I could care less if you were black, white, Asian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, Male, Female, or Transsexual as long as you have shown the ability to keep up with your courses in undergrad...in which your GPA has shown you definitely can.

Despite your admitted ignorance, I'd suggest you develop a bit of cultural humility for the sake of your future patients. I'm positive your undergraduate institution practiced affirmative action, in the same way many graduate schools do. A simple "no" would suffice as to whether or not DPM schools lower the ceiling for admission for under-represented minorities, instead of spewing your pernicious views.

Your statement tells me you surely are not a minority, as you'd realize minorities face a unique set of challenges repeatedly proven to hinder them from higher education and that remain after. In promoting a diverse workforce of physicians, you improve community health as they are likely to serve the URMs they represent. One of the problems plaguing healthcare is not so much that physician numbers are low, but the disparity in their distribution.

In sum: I understand that you are against affirmative action, but I implore you to leave your narrow-minded approach behind and pick up a bit of sensitivity in understanding why it exists. As your fellow colleague, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but encouraging you to expand your views.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't mean to sound ignorant and an a-hole but how in the world does someone with that high of a GPA get that MCAT score? The MCAT score is good enough to get into a school but one major question you'll be getting as to why you haven't shadowed a podiatrist until now is "So did you decide podiatry BEFORE or AFTER you got your MCAT scores back?" They may not even come out and say it, but that will be in the back of their mind when they look at your application. At least that is how I would expect an admissions committee to think of how someone with a 3.94 GPA who is just now shadowing a podiatrist.

I have a question, did you just not study that hard for the MCAT and expect to coast by?

How long have you REALLY wanted to be a podiatrist? Like I said, this may come off as ignorant questions but if you really want to be a DO or MD then study some more for the MCAT and go down that route. It is just that many applicants applying that have wanted to go into podiatry would have shadowed a podiatrist by now.

My advice: First figure out if you do want to go down the podiatry route. Get the shadowing done NOW and quicker than later! Put application through during the shadowing process. Make sure you have the LOR before applying. Get the interview done with and if they really are worried about your MCAT and GPA negative correlation and ask you to retake it you would then have time to study more (I really wouldn't expect them to ask, but it is always good to plan ahead).
Thanks for taking the time to reply and all! Yes, I originally was thinking of going down the DO/MD route, but became interested more specifically in DPM over MD/DO this year. I know that's late in the game for showing interest, but I hope they don't hold that against me as I never really thought about podiatry until I received an email from aacpmas about a career in podiatry and really found interest in it after researching schools and the career, etc. I have been around podiatrist we work with at the geriatric clinic I work as a medical scribe at so it's not like I'm completely unaware of the podiatric community or anything...lol.
I start shadowing a podiatrist tomorrow actually and was wondering how many hours I should try to obtain before submitting my app or not? (I plan to shadow at least 1x weekly until I start DPM school (hopefully).
As far as my MCAT score goes....it was my first time taking it and I studied minimally to none for it and didn't really take it seriously. I know that was EXTREMELY dumb of me, but I was kind of in my "rebel stage" so to speak and tired of having to prove myself again and again after already having done so by graduating Summa Cum Laude in 3 years (I'm anti standardized testing if you can't tell, don't see much correlation b/t MCAT and ability to be a good physician, but that's beside the fact). I guess you could say I was burnt out, but I realize my mistake now and will study this time retake the MCAT if I have to although I'd rather not, however I'm confident my score will improve if I actually take it seriously this time around.

Despite your admitted ignorance, I'd suggest you develop a bit of cultural humility for the sake of your future patients. I'm positive your undergraduate institution practiced affirmative action, in the same way many graduate schools do. A simple "no" would suffice as to whether or not DPM schools lower the ceiling for admission for under-represented minorities, instead of spewing your pernicious views.

Your statement tells me you surely are not a minority, as you'd realize minorities face a unique set of challenges repeatedly proven to hinder them from higher education and that remain after. In promoting a diverse workforce of physicians, you improve community health as they are likely to serve the URMs they represent. One of the problems plaguing healthcare is not so much that physician numbers are low, but the disparity in their distribution.

In sum: I understand that you are against affirmative action, but I implore you to leave your narrow-minded approach behind and pick up a bit of sensitivity in understanding why it exists. As your fellow colleague, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but encouraging you to expand your views.

Well said! Healthcare disparity is growing and it is up to URM doctors to make a difference. A Caucasian doctor can practice as much cultural awareness as they can, at the end of the day, the under-served community will prefer the doctors that share the similar background as them: the URM doctors. Please, @hughesn2 , do us all a favor and keep your ignorant comments to yourself.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and all! Yes, I originally was thinking of going down the DO/MD route, but became interested more specifically in DPM over MD/DO this year. I know that's late in the game for showing interest, but I hope they don't hold that against me as I never really thought about podiatry until I received an email from aacpmas about a career in podiatry and really found interest in it after researching schools and the career, etc. I have been around podiatrist we work with at the geriatric clinic I work as a medical scribe at so it's not like I'm completely unaware of the podiatric community or anything...lol.
I start shadowing a podiatrist tomorrow actually and was wondering how many hours I should try to obtain before submitting my app or not? (I plan to shadow at least 1x weekly until I start DPM school (hopefully).
As far as my MCAT score goes....it was my first time taking it and I studied minimally to none for it and didn't really take it seriously. I know that was EXTREMELY dumb of me, but I was kind of in my "rebel stage" so to speak and tired of having to prove myself again and again after already having done so by graduating Summa Cum Laude in 3 years (I'm anti standardized testing if you can't tell, don't see much correlation b/t MCAT and ability to be a good physician, but that's beside the fact). I guess you could say I was burnt out, but I realize my mistake now and will study this time retake the MCAT if I have to although I'd rather not, however I'm confident my score will improve if I actually take it seriously this time around.

Please realize standardized testing will continue to be in your future, especially if you want to become a DPM. There are multiple board exams you need to do well on before you can practice. The MCAT may not be a good indication as how good of a physician you will be, but it does have some indication on how well you may do on your future board exams. However, I strongly believe there are definitely those that can beat the odds. You mentioned you may be burnt out, are you currently out of school in your gap year? If you are, that's good; if not, you should. There is seriously no rush into your higher education. You want to come into this fresh and ready. I'm a first year at DMU and we just finished the seventh week of med school and all of us look like death. So my suggestion is rest up!

Regarding your question about the number of hours to shadow a podiatrist: I would say twenty hours is plenty for you to get an idea of what this profession will be like. You can certainly shadow more but that is a good base line. Remember you do need a letter of recommendation from that podiatrist so be sure to build a good relationship with him/her.

1. Applying to: All
2. 2.93 Cum/ 3.2 sGPA (I had planned on minoring in Spanish but after two years and a few bad grades I dropped the spanish minor; however, it hurt my Cum GPA)
3. MCAT Score- 26 (V10, B8, P8)
4. Podiatry Experience (20 hours shadowing two podiatrists)
5. Clinical/ Work Exp: Worked for a sports medicine doctor 1 year after graduation doing cardiovascular and metabolic testing.
6. 100+ hours volunteering as a literacy tutor at schools and at local food kitchen

Midwestern would be my #1 choice bc I have family in Phoenix.

Last edited:
1. Applying to: All
2. 2.93 Cum/ 3.2 sGPA (I had planned on minoring in Spanish but after two years and a few bad grades I dropped the spanish minor, however, it hurt my Cum GPA)
3. MCAT Score- 26 (V10, B8, P8)
4. Podiatry Experience (20 hours shadowing two podiatrists)
5. Clinical/ Work Exp: Worked for a sports medicine doctor 1 year after graduation doing cardiovascular and metabolic testing.
6. 100+ hours volunteering as a literacy tutor at schools and at local food kitchen

Midwestern would be my #1 choice bc I have family in Phoenix.

AZPod and DMU might be a reach for you with that GPA. Their avg GPA is 3.6 and 3.4, respectively. Your MCAT score is above average so it might help? I believe these two schools have denied applicants with stats around yours, but it may have been later in the cycle, I can't recall. Definitely keep us informed when you get further into the application cycle regarding your admittance. You'll be fine at all other schools. Good Luck.

Please realize standardized testing will continue to be in your future, especially if you want to become a DPM. There are multiple board exams you need to do well on before you can practice. The MCAT may not be a good indication as how good of a physician you will be, but it does have some indication on how well you may do on your future board exams. However, I strongly believe there are definitely those that can beat the odds. You mentioned you may be burnt out, are you currently out of school in your gap year? If you are, that's good; if not, you should. There is seriously no rush into your higher education. You want to come into this fresh and ready. I'm a first year at DMU and we just finished the seventh week of med school and all of us look like death. So my suggestion is rest up!

Regarding your question about the number of hours to shadow a podiatrist: I would say twenty hours is plenty for you to get an idea of what this profession will be like. You can certainly shadow more but that is a good base line. Remember you do need a letter of recommendation from that podiatrist so be sure to build a good relationship with him/her.
Thanks for the reply! I'm currently in my gap year right now so I'm using this time to regroup and refresh before going back to school in the fall if I get accepted into any of the programs I'm applying to currently. But yes, I think that when I start in the fall (hopefully), I'll be refreshed from my gap year and able to study and focus again like I did throughout undergrad. I couldn't imagine going straight from undergrad to pod school! lol

AZPod and DMU might be a reach for you with that GPA. Their avg GPA is 3.6 and 3.4, respectively. Your MCAT score is above average so it might help? I believe these two schools have denied applicants with stats around yours, but it may have been later in the cycle, I can't recall. Definitely keep us informed when you get further into the application cycle regarding your admittance. You'll be fine at all other schools. Good Luck.

Yea, I knew AZPod would be a bit of stretch but I am hopeful. I started receiving interview invites this week so I will keep you posted.

deleted to maintain anonymity

Last edited:
Dear pezzoil; You have a DO acceptance this early??? Or is it just an interview acceptance??? If truly acceptance than why would you continue on thus stressful interview course???

DO schools starting sending out acceptances a month asked a half ago.

edit: deleted the rest, no longer seeking advice on this forum

Last edited:
I have been lurking for quite a while just had my MCAT scores released today

Already have my application submitted and verified and have interviews scheduled from Kent and Scholl (my top choice)

C. GPA 3.29
S. GPA 2.98

MCAT 19 -- VR 10/ PS 6/ BS 3:(:(:(

I have no idea how I did so bad on Biological Sciences. Have never scored below a 6 on practice exams.
I did rush into taking the MCAT to apply early and to have the possibility to retake the old one but now if I wanted to retake the old one now I will need to drive out about 4 hours.

I currently am a medical assistant for a podiatrist with over 400 hours of observing procedures
Also an additional 20 hours shadowing 2 other DPMs

1 year of research assistant experience
100 hours as an occupational therapy intern

Do you guys think I should sign up to retake the MCAT now or wait until after I see how my interview goes?

Those two schools have large class sizes so you may be okay. Try to schedule an interview as soon as you can. You should hear from the schools within two weeks or so. If you get denied from both then I would definitely retake that MCAT. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster!

Cgpa: 3.52
Sgpa: 3.3
MCAT: 32 VR: 10/PS: 10/ BS: 12

ECs: Lots of leadership experience with officer positions held (residence hall association, nrhh), tutoring, various part-time jobs, volunteering at a local elementary school, working with various directors on campus on advisory boards

Medical experience: Shadowing podiatrists (I already have my letter set up) and I just started as a transport aide at a local hospital

I would like to apply to all schools, but since I'm paying my way for interviews and application fees I'm feeling the heat financially. I'm definitely applying to Temple, Kent, Scholl, and California. I'm hoping my scores are good enough for me to get in and maybe earn some scholarships. Do you guys know which schools that would give me the best chance at getting in and getting the most scholarship money? I'm willing to apply to anywhere, I so far have picked these schools because I like their location/have family in the area. Thanks :)

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster!

Cgpa: 3.52
Sgpa: 3.3
MCAT: 32 VR: 10/PS: 10/ BS: 12

ECs: Lots of leadership experience with officer positions held (residence hall association, nrhh), tutoring, various part-time jobs, volunteering at a local elementary school, working with various directors on campus on advisory boards

Medical experience: Shadowing podiatrists (I already have my letter set up) and I just started as a transport aide at a local hospital

I would like to apply to all schools, but since I'm paying my way for interviews and application fees I'm feeling the heat financially. I'm definitely applying to Temple, Kent, Scholl, and California. I'm hoping my scores are good enough for me to get in and maybe earn some scholarships. Do you guys know which schools that would give me the best chance at getting in and getting the most scholarship money? I'm willing to apply to anywhere, I so far have picked these schools because I like their location/have family in the area. Thanks :)

You should do a search on scholarships, it's been talked about over the years. As you are doing this search keep in mind cost of living. Currently, I think CSPM offers the biggest scholarship (20k/yr) BUT it's in Oakland, CA so you have to factor the high cost of living.

As far as your acceptance, you will get in to whatever school you apply to. As far as scholarships, I'm not sure if they look at cGPA or sGPA. Your cGPA is above average, but the sGPA is just average so it's hard to tell what you'll get. So just poke around the forum and see what you come up with. Good luck.

Already have my application submitted and verified and have interviews scheduled from Kent and Scholl (my top choice)

C. GPA 3.29
S. GPA 2.98

I have no idea how I did so bad on Biological Sciences. Have never scored below a 6 on practice exams.
I did rush into taking the MCAT to apply early and to have the possibility to retake the old one but now if I wanted to retake the old one now I will need to drive out about 4 hours.

I currently am a medical assistant for a podiatrist with over 400 hours of observing procedures

Do you guys think I should sign up to retake the MCAT now or wait until after I see how my interview goes?
Yea i would wait to see what you hear after the interviews. my cGPA was the same and my sGPA just a litter higher however my MCAT was the same. I was freaking out about applying but decided to just in case I applied the first day i could and have received an ii from almost everyone so far. I have also been accepted to Barry already. I was pleasantly surprised. So keep your head up, its not the end of the world and i think you still have a good shot. keep your head on at the interview and really be yourself. They want individuals, not looking for the cookie cutter student. I think you will be fine. Good luck!

C. GPA 3.29
S. GPA 2.98

Also I meant to add that at each interview they told me that if they did not think I could succeed at their school based on my grades and MCAT they would not have invited me to interview. So considering you have some interviews i think those schools are fine with your scholastic scores.

I haven't heard of anyone getting in with a 3 on BS, that's the section they care about the most. It's just too low imo

Hey student doctor forums,
posted before but now have my accurate stats:

2.9 cumulative, 3.11 science
27 mcat 10 BS/8 PS/9 VR
1000+ hours working with/shadowing veterinarians
shadowed two different pods for a total of about ~20 hours
not much volunteering, but a LOT of work experience, including community organizing for military families

Kinda want to go to CSPM. But am willing to go to where you guys think I have the best chance, if chance at all.
Thanks.

Hey student doctor forums,
posted before but now have my accurate stats:

2.9 cumulative, 3.11 science
27 mcat 10 BS/8 PS/9 VR
1000+ hours working with/shadowing veterinarians
shadowed two different pods for a total of about ~20 hours
not much volunteering, but a LOT of work experience, including community organizing for military families

Kinda want to go to CSPM. But am willing to go to where you guys think I have the best chance, if chance at all.
Thanks.

You'll be fine applying to CSPM. I would pick one more school just in case. But even if you didn't, it's a not a big deal. You can always apply to another school later (after CSPM rejects you, which I highly doubt). Good luck.

Applying to all schools (from Chicago).
3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA
22 MCAT (8 verbal, 8 BS, 6 PS)
120+ hours shadowing MD/DO physicians, 30 hours shadowing DPM
lots of volunteering experience, medical mission trip to South America, many leadership positions on campus

first time posting here, please tell me my chances

I'd venture to say you have a solid chance at all schools. Apply soon for the best possible chance of acceptance.

Applying to all schools (from Chicago).
3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA
22 MCAT (8 verbal, 8 BS, 6 PS)
120+ hours shadowing MD/DO physicians, 30 hours shadowing DPM
lots of volunteering experience, medical mission trip to South America, many leadership positions on campus

first time posting here, please tell me my chances

You'll be fine. Start compiling a list of your top 5 schools because you will get interview invites from all. Good luck.

Hello All!

If you read my name you'll realize that I am currently applying for DO schools. I am reconsidering my options and am seriously considering DPM as an option. I am a scrub tech in the OR and have worked with plenty of podiatrists. I have an appreciation for what they do and can see myself very satisfied in the career. It will provide me the opportunity to do what I love, serving the community taking care of patients and doing procedural work (surgical). To start off my quest in deciding if podiatry is right for me, I wanted to post my current stats and see where I am weak and what I need to do to improve. If you could take the time to evaluate my app and provide feedback, it is much appreciated. Thank You!

27yr old male
white
married with 1 son
Indiana resident
BS in human biology minor in chemistry
Surgical technologist for 6 years with lots of surgical assisting experience in all specialties
TA/SI for chemistry and freshmen biology
cumGPA 3.44 / sciGPA 3.65c / MCAT 22 breakdown 6/6/10
I have taken all the pre reqs and received A's and a couple B's in those classes
I have a large upward trend from my CC days
my lowest grades were 3 C's during CC days when younger
I have lots of shadowing experience with MD/DO
I need to start shadowing DPM.....none yet
I have a few other EC and volunteer stuff too

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Hello All!

If you read my name you'll realize that I am currently applying for DO schools. I am reconsidering my options and am seriously considering DPM as an option. I am a scrub tech in the OR and have worked with plenty of podiatrists. I have an appreciation for what they do and can see myself very satisfied in the career. It will provide me the opportunity to do what I love, serving the community taking care of patients and doing procedural work (surgical). To start off my quest in deciding if podiatry is right for me, I wanted to post my current stats and see where I am weak and what I need to do to improve. If you could take the time to evaluate my app and provide feedback, it is much appreciated. Thank You!

27yr old male
white
married with 1 son
Indiana resident
BS in human biology minor in chemistry
Surgical technologist for 6 years with lots of surgical assisting experience in all specialties
TA/SI for chemistry and freshmen biology
cumGPA 3.44 / sciGPA 3.65c / MCAT 22 breakdown 6/6/10
I have taken all the pre reqs and received A's and a couple B's in those classes
I have a large upward trend from my CC days
my lowest grades were 3 C's during CC days when younger
I have lots of shadowing experience with MD/DO
I need to start shadowing DPM.....none yet
I have a few other EC and volunteer stuff too

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

The only thing you need is a DPM LOR. From the sound of it, that shouldn't be a problem. You know exactly what you are getting into from your experience as a surgical tech. Just make sure you also like the clinic side of things. Surgery and clinic can be a very different experience. Maybe one of those podiatrist will allow you to shadow them for a couple days during their clinic time.

You should submit your application as soon as you can for this application cycle. Your stats are just fine. Pick a few schools as your top choices and apply. You will get interview invites to all the places you apply.

By the way, you do not need to have a DPM LOR before you apply. But make sure you are working on getting one as soon as you can.

The only thing you need is a DPM LOR. From the sound of it, that shouldn't be a problem. You know exactly what you are getting into from your experience as a surgical tech. Just make sure you also like the clinic side of things. Surgery and clinic can be a very different experience. Maybe one of those podiatrist will allow you to shadow them for a couple days during their clinic time.

You should submit your application as soon as you can for this application cycle. Your stats are just fine. Pick a few schools as your top choices and apply. You will get interview invites to all the places you apply.

By the way, you do not need to have a DPM LOR before you apply. But make sure you are working on getting one as soon as you can.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your quick response...