This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if schools wait for grades if you are currently enrolled in classes (master's) before sending interview invites? I think I'm competitive without the new grades and wouldn't want my application held up.

Does anyone know if schools wait for grades if you are currently enrolled in classes (master's) before sending interview invites? I think I'm competitive without the new grades and wouldn't want my application held up.
I was curious about this too becuase I wanted to see what my gpa looked like before post-bacc was factored in. aacpmas doesn't calculate or verify until ALL transcripts from ALL schools attended have been sent in. So I think you might be held up if you don't send in your masters transcript first. You can't get even get verified

No.

Currently doing my Masters (none SMP).

Still got invites even though degree is in progress.

Really?? Hm.... I put in three different institutions and 2 of the transcripts have been sent; waiting on the third which won't be ready until end of spring'17. They haven't bothered to verify the first two that has arrived already.

Is it becuase they are all undergrad?

And that would also mean your ii was based on your undergrad stats and not your masters
No.

Currently doing my Masters (none SMP).

Still got invites even though degree is in progress.

Really?? Hm.... I put in three different institutions and 2 of the transcripts have been sent; waiting on the third which won't be ready until end of spring'17. They haven't bothered to verify the first two that has arrived already.

Is it becuase they are all undergrad?

And that would also mean your ii was based on your undergrad stats and not your masters

Correct.

Undergrad transcript was verified and that set things in motion.

The asked about my masters at Kent but did not at Western.

Undergrad grades held much more weight. My masters was for personal reasons to show them I was capable of change.

Hello, everyone.

Planning on applying next round

sGpa: 2.8
cgpa: 3.0
Mcat:496

Been a paramedic/ firefighter for almost 5 years and few months ago I got promoted to The position of Sargeant in the department.

Done clinical at local hospital, volunteered for numerous organizations. Shadowed a pod for 50 hours. Very Solid letter of rec.

Thoughts?

Your ECs and work experience are a huge advantage.

MCAT and cGPA are both within matriculating ranges.

sGPA is a little low but mine was around the same and I still got invites.

Apply early. As soon as the cycle opens.

Any chance for you to retake some pre-reqs? They will ask "How will you perform after being out of school for so long?".
Some solid As in upper level sciences will shut that down quick. If not, you should still be fine.

Your ECs and work experience are a huge advantage.

MCAT and cGPA are both within matriculating ranges.

sGPA is a little low but mine was around the same and I still got invites.

Apply early. As soon as the cycle opens.

Any chance for you to retake some pre-reqs? They will ask "How will you perform after being out of school for so long?".
Some solid As in upper level sciences will shut that down quick. If not, you should still be fine.
Agree.

I think there is still a good chance for this cycle. It is still pretty "early".

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, thanks for the reply.

I'm actually still doing my undergrad, one class left. I do plan on retaking some classes that I did horrible in. Im almost 26. Got my paramedic license at 19 and worked for a year as a paramedic in Detroit..at 20 I was the youngest person to get hired into the fire department I'm currently in. Im hoping to get my sGpa to at least a 2.9-3.0. And with everything else it should be a done deal, hopefully.

Even better.

Age is only a number. I'm 24 if that helps. Couple people on here who are older.

Even better.

Age is only a number. I'm 24 if that helps. Couple people on here who are older.

Yep, Grandpa bob is about 27 I think. He has a picture of colonel sanders trying to seduce a humming bird, really helpful guy though, keep an eye out for his posts.

dont worry about age -too much

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Thank you to everyone who posts on this forum. I have found so much helpful information.

I just submitted my apps for this cycle. Currently waiting on transcript verification.
  • 3.37 sGPA
  • 3.47 cGPA
  • 498 MCAT
  • I was heavily involved in extra curricular activities. Fashion editor of lifestyle magazine, Photo editor of prehealth magazine, leadership position for biochem society, 350 hours volunteer at hospital, 2 years of research with 1 poster, and 1 presentation at national conference.
  • JUST recently shadowed 2 podiatrist for ~30 hours
I applied to all 9 schools but would ideally like to go to Temple, DMU, or Scholl. I'm nervous because I just recently submitted my application, my MCAT is average, and I just completed shadowing. What are my chances?

Hi all! Thank you to everyone who posts on this forum. I have found so much helpful information.

I just submitted my apps for this cycle. Currently waiting on transcript verification.
  • 3.37 sGPA
  • 3.47 cGPA
  • 498 MCAT
  • I was heavily involved in extra curricular activities. Fashion editor of lifestyle magazine, Photo editor of prehealth magazine, leadership position for biochem society, 350 hours volunteer at hospital, 2 years of research with 1 poster, and 1 presentation at national conference.
  • JUST recently shadowed 2 podiatrist for ~30 hours
I applied to all 9 schools but would ideally like to go to Temple, DMU, or Scholl. I'm nervous because I just recently submitted my application, my MCAT is average, and I just completed shadowing. What are my chances?

Your sGPA and cGPA is very competitive.

Expect ii from all 9 schools.

Don't worry too much. Go on with your life.

Quick question. Do you think schools will be critical of how many classes I re-take? Planning on retaking like 4-6 classes that would bump my gpa significantly.
hm.... pod schools don't have grade forgiveness / replacement like with D.O.; grades are averaged

(assuming that's what you had in mind when you mention retaking will bump you up)

Quick question. Do you think schools will be critical of how many classes I re-take? Planning on retaking like 4-6 classes that would bump my gpa significantly.

What Dr.phoot said.

AACPMAS does not factor in grade replacements.

You could retake to prove you can do better in them or to bump your GPA at university level.

Would not affect AACPMAS GPA calculation.

What Dr.phoot said.

AACPMAS does not factor in grade replacements.

You could retake to prove you can do better in them or to bump your GPA at university level.

Would not affect AACPMAS GPA calculation.
I thought AACPMAS GPA calculation is averaged out... For example if I retake the class they would take the two grades received in the class and average them out. Correct? So if I retake a class and do better, my gpa should go up by a little.

I thought AACPMAS GPA calculation is averaged out... For example if I retake the class they would take the two grades received in the class and average them out. Correct? So if I retake a class and do better, my gpa should go up by a little.

Correct. It might not be much when it's averaged though so I guess it's essentially up to you.

An F vs. A is a big deal. But what will you get from a C- vs. B / B+? Maybe the little increase behind the decimal point cam take you up to a 3.0

So if you're a 2.9, maybe a retake could take you to a 3.0

Correct. It might not be much when it's averaged though so I guess it's essentially up to you.

An F vs. A is a big deal. But what will you get from a C- vs. B / B+? Maybe the little increase behind the decimal point cam take you up to a 3.0

So if you're a 2.9, maybe a retake could take you to a 3.0

This is really good advice, also use it to make your decision on figuring out what will be more valuable to you. Perhaps taking an upper division course and working your butt off for an A will help you out in med school. I personally am taking Biochem and microbio during my "free time" until med/pod school starts in the fall.

This is really good advice, also use it to make your decision on figuring out what will be more valuable to you. Perhaps taking an upper division course and working your butt off for an A will help you out in med school. I personally am taking Biochem and microbio during my "free time" until med/pod school starts in the fall.
I'm not sure about the rest of you, but this is very important. The courses in med/pod school do not compare to undergraduate courses. Friends with biochemistry majors told me that their entire 4 years of undergrad was covered within 4 weeks. So being exposed to the material early will be very beneficial for the near future.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Temple, Berry, Des Moines (Curious about AZPOD, maybe NY, not sure though)
2. 3.66/3.55
3. 503 (124/125/128/126)
4. 30 hours shadowing, includes a day in out-patient OR
5. Shadowed one MD
6. 225 hours *volunteering* in ER department (Not shadowing, my bad :/ )

Grades and MCAT enough to makeup for slightly lower experiences?

Last edited:
2. 3.66/3.55
3. 503 (124/125/128/126)
5. Shadowed one MD
6. 225 hours shadowing in ER department

With those numbers you'll get in somewhere, probably everywhere.

2. 3.66/3.55
3. 503 (124/125/128/126)
5. Shadowed one MD

AZPOD is a very good school. Definitely apply there. They have excellent facilities, its in a relatively safe neighborhood. The weather sucked but everything else about them is fantastic.

2. 3.66/3.55
3. 503 (124/125/128/126)
5. Shadowed one MD

You have lots of options.

With those grades and MCAT, you will get into most if not all the schools.

Shadow as many hours as you can. It can be just a full work day even.

That'll solidify your resolve on their app.

Start figuring out which schools fit your personality and work attitude the most. I have a feeling you'll have a harder time choosing which program to accept than getting interview invites!

With those numbers you'll get in somewhere, probably everywhere.

AZPOD is a very good school. Definitely apply there. They have excellent facilities, its in a relatively safe neighborhood. The weather sucked but everything else about them is fantastic.

You have lots of options.

With those grades and MCAT, you will get into most if not all the schools.

Shadow as many hours as you can. It can be just a full work day even.

That'll solidify your resolve on their app.

Start figuring out which schools fit your personality and work attitude the most. I have a feeling you'll have a harder time choosing which program to accept than getting interview invites!

Thanks for the kind words! Currently trying to schedule some more shadowing but I'm not sure if I want to wait just to add a few more hours, already feel like I've waited longer than I need to to send my app in

1. NYCPM (jan), Temple, Scholl, Kent
2. cGPA 2.98/s GPA2.8 (ivy league school, D1 athlete, if that even makes a difference)
3. MCAT 25 (6 ps, 10 bs, 9 v)
4. just started shadowing a local pod
5. about 30 hrs actual shadowing, currently a scribe which is all shadowing lol
6. 700 hrs clinical volunteering

Don't feel good about my chances tbh.

I would apply to all the schools to increase your chances. Your MCAT isnt too bad, your GPA is right on the border. You may have some luck. Your ecs are good.

2. cGPA 2.98/s GPA2.8 (ivy league school, D1 athlete, if that even makes a difference)

Wow D1 athlete. What sport?

Ivy league + D1.

I have high hopes they will adjust / weight that. Not an easy feet. (See what I did there?)

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently a junior, so these stats will be updated accordingly

Schools you are applying to:
-Temple, Kent, NY, Barry
2. cGPA/sGPA:
-3.11 (but will for sure improve at least .1-2 points after fall sem.)/ 2.87
3. MCAT Score:
-n/a, pending
4. Podiatry Experience:
-35 hours
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable):
-Pediatrics (MD) : 10 hours
-Urologist: 45 hours
-Pharmacy technician
-Research (volunteer and for credit) for Advanced Polymers, in device synthesis and organic chemistry
-10 hours at Riverside hospital in the Philippines
6. Volunteering
-20 hours at local physician organization
-Typhoon Haiyon victim relief volunteer
- Chapter head for youth organization
-Production Director for a national conference
-Production direction for local concert

-Temple, Kent, NY, Barry
2. cGPA/sGPA:
3. MCAT Score:
-n/a, pending
4. Podiatry Experience:
-35 hours
-Pharmacy technician
-Research (volunteer and for credit) for Advanced Polymers, in device synthesis and organic chemistry
6. Volunteering

In my opinion you should apply to all DPM schools, theres 9 of them. They are all so unique.
Your GPA is around the tilting point of a yes/no could go either way
MCAT is unknown
The shadowing and EC's are good.

-Temple, Kent, NY, Barry
2. cGPA/sGPA:
3. MCAT Score:
-n/a, pending
4. Podiatry Experience:
-35 hours
-Pharmacy technician
6. Volunteering

sGPA a little low. Get to 2.9-3.0 if you can by graduation.

Aim for 500+ MCAT.

ECs they look for quality over quantity. Longer time dedicated to 1 group outshines multiple groups but little hours.

Shadowing is fine as long as you know the ins and outs.

I am considering changing to POD from DDS. Are there any of the nine schools that take the DAT?

If not, I have overall and science GPA of 3.29 and DAT of 19. What MCAT score would be needed with my GPA to be competitive?

I am considering changing to POD from DDS. Are there any of the nine schools that take the DAT?

If not, I have overall and science GPA of 3.29 and DAT of 19. What MCAT score would be needed with my GPA to be competitive?
I'm not quite sure about the DAT question, but we have similar GPA's except my science is a bit lower. I got a 499 on the MCAT and have received 6 ii in under two weeks. I think you'd be fine getting a 495, maybe even lower.

I'm not quite sure about the DAT question, but we have similar GPA's except my science is a bit lower. I got a 499 on the MCAT and have received 6 ii in under two weeks. I think you'd be fine getting a 495, maybe even lower.
Okay thanks! did you apply to all nine?
And have you always been a POD major? how do schools view career changes in their applicants?

And have you always been a POD major? how do schools view career changes in their applicants?

Podiatry is kind of an obscure profession. From what I heard from my classmates (myself included), a lot of people found out about podiatry way after pursuing a different medical field. Career changes shouldn't be a big problem.

However, it will look really weird if you are applying for pod school when you don't have any shadowing experience with a pod. if you haven't, go shadow one. It will give you an outlook of what you will be doing for the rest of your life.

No such thing as a pod major. Anything pre-health will cover pre-reqs needed for pod.

You need to shadow and get a rec letter from a pod.

Take the mcat. Score 496+. Used to be one school that took the dat but not anymore. They all take mcat now.

No such thing as a pod major. Anything pre-health will cover pre-reqs needed for pod.

You need to shadow and get a rec letter from a pod.

Take the mcat. Score 496+. Used to be one school that took the dat but not anymore. They all take mcat now.
Yeah I know I need to shadow. Haven't completely changed yet but I am just considering possibilities. Thanks for all your feed back!

Yeah I know I need to shadow. Haven't completely changed yet but I am just considering possibilities. Thanks for all your feed back!

Don't worry about how career changes are percieved. If you really enjoy it and can see yourself doing it, adcoms will see that.

Few people I've met were anything from computer science majors to business to music even. Show them you've done your research and just be yourself. They'll value that more so than someone who tries to squirrel around it.

1. All
2. sGPA 3.34/cGPA3.43
3. 483 (123/121/119/120)
4. over 100 hours of podiatry experience,
5. Shadowed 3 MD
6. Anatomy Teaching Assistant

I know MCAT is really bad, but so far I have gotten interview invites from Scholl, Barry and CSPM. Do you think I will get anymore?

GPA: cum 3.28 sci like 2.95
MCAT: 493

not much experience, but I will shadow soon.

do i have a chance?

Not sure*

3.28 cum gpa
2.95 sci

493 mcat

thoughts? my Mcat was lower than expected..

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone help me with what I should do?

3.28 cum gpa
2.95 sci

493 mcat

1. All
2. sGPA 3.34/cGPA3.43
3. 483 (123/121/119/120)
4. over 100 hours of podiatry experience,
5. Shadowed 3 MD
6. Anatomy Teaching Assistant

I know MCAT is really bad, but so far I have gotten interview invites from Scholl, Barry and CSPM. Do you think I will get anymore?

Yes, you will.

GPA: cum 3.28 sci like 2.95
MCAT: 493

not much experience, but I will shadow soon.

do i have a chance?

Go ahead and apply. You might not have the option of being picky with schools though, but you'll get in somewhere.

Unless you're aiming for a specific school and you don't meet their MCAT cutoff, I think you should stop overthinking and apply.

You'll get in somewhere