This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KwabenaHopkins

Reaction score
I am a black male applicant, and am planning to study for the MCAT rigorously for 6 months. I have always been a good test taker and aiming for a 520+ on the MCAT. my GPA is a 3.5 and my sGPA is around a 3.1. I have 2 years of research experience. I have 100 hours of non-clinical community/volunteer service. I also have 30 hours a physician shadowing.I also voltuneered at a 24/7 Crisis Text Line for another 60 hours(it was texting instead of phone calls so I dont know how impressive that will look.) Right now I am curious on my chances at HBCU Medical Schools? Specifically Howard, Meharry and Morehouse. Do i have a good chance of getting accepted into these medical colleges with a cGPA of 3.5 and an MCAT of at least 520? Also, is taking the MCAT in July too late? I have seen on Meharry they say the latest day you should take the MCAT is August 1st the year prior. I really want to be able to have ample time to study for the MCAT. What other things will make my application stronger? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated! I am a psychology major as well. I have been in many clubs throughout undergrand and was in each of these clubs at some point for at least one semester: Psychology Club, Student Recruitment Team, African Students' Association, Service Spree, Beautiful Black People, Debate Team, Model United Nations, Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students, Gentelligence, DMV PAC. My trend is shaped like a U. My first semester was great, second semester decent, and I hit a rough patch in my middle two years, but first semester of senior year was a 3.68 and second semester is about to be very close to a 4.0. Over the summers I have worked at Amazon, sometimes I had a restaurant job as well. One semester I worked as well.
All things considered, what are my chances to Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse medical colleges? And if I do get a really high MCAT like I feel, what are my chances of getting a full ride to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a black male applicant, and am planning to study for the MCAT rigorously for 6 months. I have always been a good test taker and aiming for a 520+ on the MCAT. my GPA is a 3.5 and my sGPA is around a 3.1. I have 2 years of research experience. I have 100 hours of non-clinical community/volunteer service. I also have 30 hours a physician shadowing.I also voltuneered at a 24/7 Crisis Text Line for another 60 hours(it was texting instead of phone calls so I dont know how impressive that will look.) Right now I am curious on my chances at HBCU Medical Schools? Specifically Howard, Meharry and Morehouse. Do i have a good chance of getting accepted into these medical colleges with a cGPA of 3.5 and an MCAT of at least 520? Also, is taking the MCAT in July too late? I have seen on Meharry they say the latest day you should take the MCAT is August 1st the year prior. I really want to be able to have ample time to study for the MCAT. What other things will make my application stronger? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated! I am a psychology major as well. I have been in many clubs throughout undergrand and was in each of these clubs at some point for at least one semester: Psychology Club, Student Recruitment Team, African Students' Association, Service Spree, Beautiful Black People, Debate Team, Model United Nations, Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students, Gentelligence, DMV PAC. My trend is shaped like a U. My first semester was great, second semester decent, and I hit a rough patch in my middle two years, but first semester of senior year was a 3.68 and second semester is about to be very close to a 4.0. Over the summers I have worked at Amazon, sometimes I had a restaurant job as well. One semester I worked as well.
All things considered, what are my chances to Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse medical colleges? And if I do get a really high MCAT like I feel, what are my chances of getting a full ride to medical school?
If you are focused solely on HBCU medical schools, I think the metrics you disclose would make you very desirable. That said you need to make sure you understand their mission to serve patients and underserved communities.

I may want to see more patient-facing experience since old gen docs may not appreciate text-based crisis lines. Describe your shadowing experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

If you are focused solely on HBCU medical schools, I think the metrics you disclose would make you very desirable. That said you need to make sure you understand their mission to serve patients and underserved communities.

I understand it, would doing very well all 4 years and having amazing board exam scores make me eligible for some top residency programs? Or would graduating from an HBCU med school handicapp me in that regard?

Members don't see this ad :)

I may want to see more patient-facing experience since old gen docs may not appreciate text-based crisis lines. Describe your shadowing experience.

Thank you for extra confidence as well! Im nervous

Do you have any clinical experience? You need more nonclinical volunteering and a few more shadowing hours. Be sure to have some primary care shadowing. Good luck on your MCAT. If you score well you’ll have many more opportunities for schools.

Do you have any clinical experience? You need more nonclinical volunteering and a few more shadowing hours. Be sure to have some primary care shadowing. Good luck on your MCAT. If you score well you’ll have many more opportunities for schools.
Would the 60 hours of crisis text line be considered clinical volunteer hours? And i did emergency room shadowing for physician hours. Would a 520 MCAT get me in the HBCU medical schools Meharry Howard and Morehouse?

Also, if I take my MCAT in july is that too late? Or would a 520 score in that scenario make up for the late timing

You need direct patient contact. So I really don’t know if a crisis text line would be considered clinical experience. But even if it did you need at least 150 hours.
ER shadowing is fine but doesn’t replace primary care shadowing. So find a primary care doc and put in some hours. You really only need 50 hours total so you are very close to completing that.
July for the MCAT is fine. But it isn’t smart to apply without a score. You really can’t count on a 520. Especially with a very low sGPA. Do the best you can. Study hard and remember don’t take the test until you are scoring at or above your target score on several FL practice exams. Look up the HBCUs and see what their average MCAT is for accepted students and shoot for that score or a few point above. You only want to take the test one time.
As long as you are complete by Labor Day you will be fine.

Also, if I take my MCAT in july is that too late? Or would a 520 score in that scenario make up for the late timing

While taking your MCAT in July won't be "too late", understand that in rolling admissions, those with completed applications get the best chances. Taking MCAT in July means scores won't be ready until August/September, and by then a lot of interview dates in August through October might have been filled up.

Also note that as an African/African-American male, a good MCAT score will put you on the radar for a lot more medical schools than just the HBCU's. I can't say that scoring too highly actually is a negative for getting considered at HBCU schools, but they also know if you are at all interested in traditional schools, some will not hesitate to see if they have scholarship money for you. Some HBCU schools may avoid your application if they see a super high MCAT because they think you'll be poached by other schools giving you scholarship money to attend (e.g., some Ivy schools). That's why NETWORKING with those schools and the SNMA is critical if that is really where you want to go.

Hey, I’m also a URM applying this cycle (though non-trad) with stats not too far from yours. I’ve been very fortunate this cycle and think with a solid mcat and well written essays, you absolutely have a good chance at both HBCUs and non-HBCUs.

1. MCAT: Study wisely; I think 6 months might be overkill (especially since you say you’re a good test taker) – I would shoot for 3-4 months starting now personally b/c the quality of your studying time >>> quantity of studying time. It would also be beneficial to have your mcat score when choosing schools to apply to. Additionally, with your low sGPA, do try to nail the C/P and B/B sections especially. Psych major should come in very handy for P/S section and you should be able to prep for it in less time.

2. Clinical: I would get more shadowing hours – especially in primary care as others have mentioned. If you could do anything that hands-on, even better. Take notes of interesting/impactful things that happen during your clinical and other volunteering experiences – super handy when writing essays.

3. ECs: Looks solid research-wise. You list a lot of clubs though I think being very involved (i.e. leadership positions) in a few would look better than just being a member in many for one semester – do highlight whichever ones you engaged in more longitudinally. I would also recommend more nonclinical volunteering – schools like to see long-term commitments to service, especially to the underserved (with HBCUs and other very mission-oriented non-HBCUs).

4. Essays: Another reason I would recommend getting done with the mcat as soon as you’re ready is so you can focus on writing the many quality essays needed for both your primary AND secondaries. I think essays played the largest factor in my good fortune this cycle, so I would recommend you not overlook the significance of thoughtful, highly reflective essays that tell your story and highlight your skills/passion for medicine.

5. LoRs: Do start thinking of the individuals you’ll be getting these from. Things to also consider: does you school have a committee letter and what is the process for getting one? (Note: there are usually deadlines for when you must submit material for the letter, so get in touch with your school’s health professions advising office if you have one). A lot of schools ask for committee letters and will ask for a reason you didn’t provide one if your school offers them.

Best of luck! Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions/need further elaboration; I'd be glad to help.

Reactions: 1 user
While taking your MCAT in July won't be "too late", understand that in rolling admissions, those with completed applications get the best chances. Taking MCAT in July means scores won't be ready until August/September, and by then a lot of interview dates in August through October might have been filled up.

Also note that as an African/African-American male, a good MCAT score will put you on the radar for a lot more medical schools than just the HBCU's. I can't say that scoring too highly actually is a negative for getting considered at HBCU schools, but they also know if you are at all interested in traditional schools, some will not hesitate to see if they have scholarship money for you. Some HBCU schools may avoid your application if they see a super high MCAT because they think you'll be poached by other schools giving you scholarship money to attend (e.g., some Ivy schools). That's why NETWORKING with those schools and the SNMA is critical if that is really where you want to go.
Im thinking a July 7th date would have it ready august and If I've started my applications early I'll be able to submit everything mid-late august? and Thank you I hadnt considered applying to be a part of SNMA, I will research more on what it is. And as far as networking should I start emailing the director of those medical schools and physicians that currently work as faculty at those HBCU Medical Schools? Or even current students?

Come back with an MCAT score and then we can better advise.

A July MCAT is NOT too late. Ditto August.

Do you have a rising GPA trand? The sGPA is worrisome.

Reactions: 1 user