When to take Step 2 (for optional releasing of scores)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.RosenRosen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, wow these forums are a great resource.

Heres my deal. I'm a just started 4th year going into two rather competitive fields (rads and gas). Problem is my Step I was average and I need to take Step II soon and show I can do better.

Another rads hopeful was in the same position last year and what he did was take Step 2 in the middle of August so that when he applied the beginning of September it was on record he took Step 2 but scores were not back yet. This way if he did well he could then send a separate release for those schools to get his scores, if he did not so well he wouldn't send out the scores.

Has anyone done this/heard about this idea? For this plan to work does it need to be mid August, or can it be late August as well (I need more time!)

Thanks for any input...

Members don't see this ad.

When I did my apps last year, you had the options of "passed" "pending" and "will take" for the scores section. And I believe that you can have your score for Step II held if you request so. Check the ERAS app and see if it says anything about that.