This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you think?

• Attend Madison BME

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Attend Madison but switch majors

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Attend UCSD

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

SiriusObserver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm fairly new to SDN and am turning to you guys to help me make a big decision. I was recently admitted into both UW Madison and UCSD as a transfer student from a two-year UW college. As a premed, I feel like this is an important decision, but I know some will agree and some will disagree. Regardless, I am curious to hear your thoughts!

Here are some of the factors I've been considering so far in no particular order.
1. Cost - Tuition at Madison is about 10k and UCSD is about 40k... ouch...
2. Ranking - Overall Madison and UCSD are fairly close with UCSD having a slight edge.
3. Clinical experience - Ideally, the more relevant to a premed the better and UCSD is known for their research in the biological sciences.
4. Undergraduate major - Needs some explaining...

So as for my undergraduate major, I applied to the BME program at all the schools I applied to. BME has been my plan pretty much from day 1 of returning to school because I love the math and physics of it. I'm also attracted to the set of problem solving skills that engineering students gain. While I got into the BME program at Madison, UCSD was not so accepting... They accepted me as an undecided major, which means I'd have to pick something else and pretty rules out any engineering degree. I've looked at a couple of their programs and am interested in physics, biochemistry and cell biology, and physiology and neuroscience. I know I know, I could study those at Madison too but UCSD was kinda my first choice.

This should be an easy decision right? Madison seems like the logical choice, but for some reason I'm just not totally convinced. My absolute main goal here is to attend medical school and, ultimately, I need to make decisions that help me get there. After this whole process I've been second guessing BME as my major due to all the different opinions out there. I'm nervous that it might be more than I can handle and hinder my GPA. During my first two years in undergrad I managed to get straight A's. My social life took a dive but it really wasn't THAT hard, even in the upper level physics and calc classes. I suspect the reason for this is partly due the the fact that I was attending a small community-type college and I am worried that the standards of excellence will change drastically if I were to attend Madison for BME. Even though I'm really interested to study BME, I will be happy studying anything so long as I get into medical school.

So what are your thoughts? Are there things I'm not considering but need to be? Would I be stupid to switch majors just to attend UCSD? Would I be stupid not to attend Madison regardless of my major?

Sorry for the long winded post...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody. I'm fairly new to SDN and am turning to you guys to help me make a big decision. I was recently admitted into both UW Madison and UCSD as a transfer student from a two-year UW college. As a premed, I feel like this is an important decision, but I know some will agree and some will disagree. Regardless, I am curious to hear your thoughts!

Here are some of the factors I've been considering so far in no particular order.
2. Ranking - Overall Madison and UCSD are fairly close with UCSD having a slight edge.
3. Clinical experience - Ideally, the more relevant to a premed the better and UCSD is known for their research in the biological sciences.

So as for my undergraduate major, I applied to the BME program at all the schools I applied to. BME has been my plan pretty much from day 1 of returning to school because I love the math and physics of it. I'm also attracted to the set of problem solving skills that engineering students gain. While I got into the BME program at Madison, UCSD was not so accepting... They accepted me as an undecided major, which means I'd have to pick something else and pretty rules out any engineering degree. I've looked at a couple of their programs and am interested in physics, biochemistry and cell biology, and physiology and neuroscience. I know I know, I could study those at Madison too but UCSD was kinda my first choice.

This should be an easy decision right? Madison seems like the logical choice, but for some reason I'm just not totally convinced. My absolute main goal here is to attend medical school and, ultimately, I need to make decisions that help me get there. After this whole process I've been second guessing BME as my major due to all the different opinions out there. I'm nervous that it might be more than I can handle and hinder my GPA. During my first two years in undergrad I managed to get straight A's. My social life took a dive but it really wasn't THAT hard, even in the upper level physics and calc classes. I suspect the reason for this is partly due the the fact that I was attending a small community-type college and I am worried that the standards of excellence will change drastically if I were to attend Madison for BME. Even though I'm really interested to study BME, I will be happy studying anything so long as I get into medical school.

So what are your thoughts? Are there things I'm not considering but need to be? Would I be stupid to switch majors just to attend UCSD? Would I be stupid not to attend Madison regardless of my major?

Sorry for the long winded post...
Just the huge difference in cost would be enough for me unless there are some extenuating circumstances that would make you want to go to UCSD. UW Madison has very highly ranked engineering departments, and there will be no shortage of clinical opportunities or research there, either. I can't give much advice on switching majors, but know that getting a good GPA (by medical admissions standards) will be much harder with an engineering major and medical school admissions won't be too forgiving of that (possibly) lower GPA, even with engineering being your major.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You'll have a lot more fun at Wisco A) studying what you want, B) knowing you're saving $120k, and C) it's Madison. Great city.

And for what it's worth, everyone I know (like 8 people) who went to UCSD for premed ended up with GPA repairing to do. It's a pretty competitive place for sciences.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless UCSD is your dream school and you have no real desire to go to UW, you'd be an idiot to pass up studying in Madison.

1. Madison has way cheaper tuition
2. Madison has way cheaper cost of living
3. You'd be able to study whatever you wanted in undergrad
4. UWSMPH gives huge preference to their own undergrads
5. Both schools have similar clinical and research opportunities

Reactions: 1 user
Its not worth coming here over madison to pay 40k more. UCSD has gpa deflation too so not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just graduated from UW BME program, and I'd recommend it. It's not too hard to maintain a good GPA, and it also gives you access to a human physiology course that is extremely packed. There are only ~350 seats and many more students wanting to take it every semester, so access is restricted at first to BME and pharmacy students, who actually need it in their line of study. Only after a certain period of time is everybody else allowed to take it. Many courses in the major already use or are also switching over to the PBL structure that med schools also seem to be implementing.

Research is also incredibly abundant on campus; you can find a lab studying quite literally anything. As a BME student, you are likely to get accepted into any biology-related lab, as well as many engineering ones. There are even courses, such as the weed out intro biology course, specifically designed to get you into a research lab if you desire.

Wow! I got a lot more support than I was expecting!

Just the huge difference in cost would be enough for me unless there are some extenuating circumstances that would make you want to go to UCSD. UW Madison has very highly ranked engineering departments, and there will be no shortage of clinical opportunities or research there, either. I can't give much advice on switching majors, but know that getting a good GPA (by medical admissions standards) will be much harder with an engineering major and medical school admissions won't be too forgiving of that (possibly) lower GPA, even with engineering being your major.

The only extenuating circumstance here would be the fact that my brother lives out in SD and I would love to be back out by him. It's been tough to determine how much influence this should have on my decision, but I feel like it shouldn't play a major role. Honestly though, I think it may have been the main reason I've been hanging onto the UC option for so long. Still, admission to medical school is my main goal here and it sounds like Madison is the place to be. I've even received a pm about the difficulty of being premed at UCSD being that there are so many premeds that every premed experience gets flooded with applicants. If this is true, it does not sound ideal.

Just graduated from UW BME program, and I'd recommend it. It's not too hard to maintain a good GPA, and it also gives you access to a human physiology course that is extremely packed. There are only ~350 seats and many more students wanting to take it every semester, so access is restricted at first to BME and pharmacy students, who actually need it in their line of study. Only after a certain period of time is everybody else allowed to take it. Many courses in the major already use or are also switching over to the PBL structure that med schools also seem to be implementing.

Research is also incredibly abundant on campus; you can find a lab studying quite literally anything. As a BME student, you are likely to get accepted into any biology-related lab, as well as many engineering ones. There are even courses, such as the weed out intro biology course, specifically designed to get you into a research lab if you desire.

You have no idea how helpful it is to hear from a Madison BME major who has been accepted to medical school! Just a few question if you don't mind. Did you follow the biocore curriculum and if so would you recommend it? So far I've been following as much of their BME premed curriculum as possible, which means I've taken statics instead of physics I. Would you recommend taking physics I anyways in preparation for the MCAT?

Anyway, after hearing all of your thoughts and reasoning I've decided to become a badger next year! So excited to study BME!! Thanks again, guys, for your time and input!

Wow! I got a lot more support than I was expecting!

The only extenuating circumstance here would be the fact that my brother lives out in SD and I would love to be back out by him. It's been tough to determine how much influence this should have on my decision, but I feel like it shouldn't play a major role. Honestly though, I think it may have been the main reason I've been hanging onto the UC option for so long. Still, admission to medical school is my main goal here and it sounds like Madison is the place to be. I've even received a pm about the difficulty of being premed at UCSD being that there are so many premeds that every premed experience gets flooded with applicants. If this is true, it does not sound ideal.

You have no idea how helpful it is to hear from a Madison BME major who has been accepted to medical school! Just a few question if you don't mind. Did you follow the biocore curriculum and if so would you recommend it? So far I've been following as much of their BME premed curriculum as possible, which means I've taken statics instead of physics I. Would you recommend taking physics I anyways in preparation for the MCAT?

Anyway, after hearing all of your thoughts and reasoning I've decided to become a badger next year! So excited to study BME!! Thanks again, guys, for your time and input!
I didn't follow biocore. If you are super interested in biology, go for it. It will probably tax your GPA, however. I know one other BME who did biocore for personal reasons (like I mentioned) and he turned out all right.

With regards to physics, the content in physics 1 is a cakewalk beyond belief for engineering students. I wasn't planning to go into medicine until the end of my sophomore year, so I skipped it entirely. What you get out of statics, dynamics, and mechanics of materials is more than enough for the MCAT. I ended up scoring a 15 on physical sciences (the highest possible).

However, almost every med school told me that I need two semesters of physics no exceptions. They didn't care about those engineering classes because they weren't "physics". So I just spent the past semester taking physics 103 as a special student (post graduation). What an absolute waste of time

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

However, almost every med school told me that I need two semesters of physics no exceptions. They didn't care about those engineering classes because they weren't "physics". So I just spent the past semester taking physics 103 as a special student (post graduation). What an absolute waste of time

I understand adhering to the course requirements but wow that's just silly.

SiriusObserver said:

1. Huge advantage UW-M
2. Wash, both schools are about the same.
3. UW-M is no slouch, but UCSD likely does have more 'prestige' when it comes to biomedical research. As others have said it's no cakewalk being a premed at UCSD.
4. Edge UW-M. You said it yourself you love the physics and math behind BME. You've succeeded to far in that major so there's no indication you wouldn't be able to handle it at a 4-year institute.

Ultimately it's up to you, but I would pick UW-M over UCSD given the information you've given us. A much less important difference between the two (but something to consider) is the weather; SD makes UW-M look like the arctic circle.

Another vote for UW-Madison here. UCSD has a lot of impacted majors and there's no guarantee you would even get into the major that you want! That coupled with the tuition makes it just about a no-brainer. Unfortunately you'll have to give up the warm weather and the beach but I think it's a sound decision :)

As far as majors go, changing it will have to be your decision. It sounds like you are still interested in BME so give it a shot!