This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sxg464

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much!! I was thinking of schools similar to that but it's so hard to tell.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest applying to these schools with your stats:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
West Virginia
Tufts
Vermont
Rochester
Hofstra
Georgetown
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
Pittsburgh

I'd advise against West Virginia. They interview a lot of out of state people, but only maybe 1 in 7 from out of state (if even that) get an acceptance. They have a class size around 110 people with almost a 50/50 in-state/out-of-state breakdown. Also, West VA emphasizes serving its primarily rural population...so if you don't feel like you have something to offer to this demographic your efforts might be better used for other schools.

Other than that, the list above looks good. Just make sure you apply SUPER EARLY. Like, get your primary app in the first week of June and knock the secondaries out within a week of receiving them.

I have no idea which schools to apply to because my MCAT is normally in the 90+ range and my GPA barely makes the 10% cutoff for some schools. Any advice you have would be great. More info:

Demographics: Asian female
Institution: Top 10, non-Ivy
Major: Mathematics, Humanities minor
GPA: 3.45 for both cumulative and science, U-shaped trend, good in first and last year and bad in the middle

EC's:
Research: 3 summers of research in Biochemistry lab, middle author on a paper being submitted to PNAS
Volunteering: Rape crisis hotline advocate (200+ hours), Memory care facility (40+ hours), orientation leader (100+ hrs), Special Olympics (20 hrs)
Shadowing: 100+ hrs between Rheumatologist, Cardiologist, OB/GYN Surgery
Leadership: President of Dorm, Manager/Wellness Chair of dance groups, Orientation leader
Clubs/Activities: Hip hop and tap dance groups (3 yrs), Tutor (1 yr), Model United Nations (3 yrs), Math Society (2 yrs)
U-shaped trends are very common. A 522 MCAT score is nothing to sneeze at.

I suggest:
All OH schools

Wash U OR U Chicago OR NYU OR U Penn

Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai OR Cornell OR Northwestern
Case
Harvard OR Yale OR Stanford OR JHU
UCSF
Miami
Tulane
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo
Rochester
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Gtown
Loyola
Jefferson
Tufts

I'd advise against West Virginia. They interview a lot of out of state people, but only maybe 1 in 7 from out of state (if even that) get an acceptance. They have a class size around 110 people with almost a 50/50 in-state/out-of-state breakdown. Also, West VA emphasizes serving its primarily rural population...so if you don't feel like you have something to offer to this demographic your efforts might be better used for other schools.

Other than that, the list above looks good. Just make sure you apply SUPER EARLY. Like, get your primary app in the first week of June and knock the secondaries out within a week of receiving them.

agreed about WV. dont even bother with them

U-shaped trends are very common. A 522 MCAT score is nothing to sneeze at.

I suggest:
All OH schools

Wash U OR U Chicago OR NYU OR U Penn

Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai OR Cornell OR Northwestern
Case
Harvard OR Yale OR Stanford OR JHU
UCSF
Miami
Tulane
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo
Rochester
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Gtown
Loyola
Jefferson
Tufts

Thanks for the list. Out of curiosity, why the OR's for the higher tier schools?

Hedging bets as not all schools reward reinvention. Suggest NYU as the one to aim for among that quartet, based upon info from another SDNer with a similar story who landed an II from NYU.
Thanks a lot! And if you had to pick between Harvard/Yale/JHU, which would be best? I'd think Yale bc of their class profiles but I'm not sure.