which school is your first choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toto1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know what's your first choice school?

At least your top choices?

I have applied many schools since I am an international student and dont have an IS school.

I applied Tufts, U penn, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Illinois, Western, Wisconsin

I dont know my first choice yet, but some of my top choices are U penn, Wisconsin, Purdue, Tufts

What are yours?

Members don't see this ad.

My top choices are UpennTufts and CSU. I live in NJ but Im from PA

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, Cornell, Penn and Tufts. Would be thrilled to go to one of these.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: (about anywhere that takes you)

^^^ This, but if I had the option of choosing, I'd put Cornell and Penn in my top two (thus far).

Also Marsala, you get an A+ on that avatar. Hoping more people here join us for holiday theme :D

^^^ This, but if I had the option of choosing, I'd put Cornell and Penn in my top two (thus far).

Also Marsala, you get an A+ on that avatar. Hoping more people here join us for holiday theme :D

You also get an A+! Fantastic! :thumbup::thumbup:

whichever school gives me the most $$$$$ :D

I want to join in! (...I'm not quite sure how the hat is staying on, but hey, he's a sloth. Beggars can't be choosers).

On the topic at hand, though, I'm aiming for the cheapest school that lets me in. :laugh:

LSU is my number one choice. But, I will also be extremely happy with Mississippi and St. George's.

LSU has an amazing wildlife program and a lot of opportunities for wildlife medicine. The hospital is also very extensive with a lot of on-the-side clubs you can join. Plus, they're the cheapest school I can get into since they have contracts with my state :laugh:

Mississippi is located in a cute little town that I feel really comfortable in. They also have extremely friendly staff members. And, for St. George's, they have a separate Wildlife Conservation Medicine degree you can ear. PLUS they're in Grenada! For those that don't know me personally, I'm addicted to international travel.

On the offtopic note, I also got into the holiday spirit....:cool:

I applied to 12 schools (and am now broke beyond belief lol). But I think my top choice is LSU as well for the wildlife program. NC State is probably my next choice. I live in NY so Cornell is up there but hard to get into. Col State because who wouldn't want to live in Col for 4 years?!!? Like most people here, I will go to wherever accepts me! :) If I get a few acceptances, it will most likely come down to money lol...

I applied to Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Tennessee. My top two choices are Ohio State and Wisconsin, I like both :). Ohio because it's IS and I know everyone at the Wildlife Center in Columbus and Wisconsin because the tuition is cheap and the class size is smaller.

Members don't see this ad :)
My top choice is Penn because I think the school has a lot to offer and I really enjoyed my tour there last year. Also helps that it's my IS school. I also really liked Tufts when I visited last year, but kind of wish it was a little closer to Boston. I know I probably won't have much down time in vet school, but when I do, I want to have options of what I can do with that spare time. I guess that's another bonus to Penn. Other top ones are CSU and Wisconsin. And Glasgow. I loved living in the UK for my junior year of college and actually kind of like the idea of a 5 year program and how you have to do EMS work over your breaks. Also the idea of being able to practice in both the US and Europe is appealing. Too bad I ultimately can't really afford to go there. =(

Although, I'm still at the point where I'll go wherever accepts me. Haha.

I live in ND so no IS option. I applied to Minnesota, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Iowa, Colorado, & Michigan

My top choices are pretty much tied but if I had to order them 1st- Colorado, 2nd- Iowa, 3rd- Minnesota

But really- ANYWHERE THAT WILL TAKE ME! :D

VMRCVM! It's my IS and I absolutely love Blacksburg. I'm from Maryland and it's nice to be somewhere a little quieter and more rural than home. :xf:

VMRCVM! It's my IS and I absolutely love Blacksburg. I'm from Maryland and it's nice to be somewhere a little quieter and more rural than home. :xf:

The IS tuition is pretty awesome. Though I got into Penn, I ultimately chose my IS due to cost and the desire for a real college town away from distracting big cities. Having lived in MD and the DC area my whole life, I needed a change in scenery. Don't regret it one bit :)

Right now, THE Ohio State University is my top pick! We'll see if that changes after I see other schools, but I fell in love with Columbus while I was there to interview. Of course I'll go wherever I get in (I applied to 6 other schools...), but if every school accepted me, it'd be very hard to turn down OSU.

Agreed with the whole any school that takes me!

I'm waiting to hear from 5 schools, and they all have pros and cons I guess...although if I somehow got into Penn, I'm originally from Philly and I've got tons of family there, so that would be nice.

I never really thought about the pro that UK schools allow you to practice in the UK...I mean obviously you're licensed there but I applied to Edinburgh simply cos I like living overseas and it's accredited in the US....but does that license allow you to practice in Italy? Cos I would love to move back there one day!! Or France...

I applied to my three top choices, and only them. Haha. Couldn't afford to apply to more than that! NCSU, LSU, and UTK, all because they have reputations for strong exotics/wildlife/zoo courses, and were in geographical areas I know I like (relatively warm and urban).

Edit: I wonder if I can find a Santa hat small enough to fit on my mosquito's lil' noggin... ;)

Edit 2: :D :D :D

Last edited:
Tufts! It's my IS so I'd stay close to my family and I loved the campus when I went to visit. I also wish it was a little closer to Boston, but the commuter rail from North Grafton is right around the corner so it's not too bad. Other than Tufts, I'd really like to go to Penn... but I'll go anywhere I'm wanted!

Agreed with the whole any school that takes me!

I'm waiting to hear from 5 schools, and they all have pros and cons I guess...although if I somehow got into Penn, I'm originally from Philly and I've got tons of family there, so that would be nice.

I never really thought about the pro that UK schools allow you to practice in the UK...I mean obviously you're licensed there but I applied to Edinburgh simply cos I like living overseas and it's accredited in the US....but does that license allow you to practice in Italy? Cos I would love to move back there one day!! Or France...

From my understanding, you would be allowed to practice anywhere in Europe, so you should be able to go to Italy or France if you wanted.

From my understanding, you would be allowed to practice anywhere in Europe, so you should be able to go to Italy or France if you wanted.

Well now Edinburgh might be my top choice....

I feel like this thread is providing me with false hope, haha. I was trying to assume I'd be rejected so I wouldn't be disappointed, but now I'm thinking about all the schools I want to go to and am getting my hopes up again.

I think my IS just for the cost savings.... Other than that, I am not picky, whoever takes me.

Wisconsin is my top choice because I'm instate, the tuition is cheap, and they have great opportunities for lab animal medicine internships on campus, since I'm interested in lab animal medicine.
Auburn would be my second choice because of the friendly/welcoming environment and the weather is much warmer than Wisconsin.

I applied to my three top choices and figure I will expand my application pool next year if I don't get in this go-around. My number one choice is CSU. I moved to Colorado for many reasons, but one of those reasons was to make it my IS (I am a resident now). I love the area and love the teaching hospital. I hope to go to school here and stay in CO permanently. My second choice is Western. Their program is very appealing to me. My sister was in their first graduating class in 2007 and I know a handful of the 'adjunct profs' that teach rotations and labs. From everything they have told me about the program, it sounds like it would be perfect for me and my learning style. I just wish I liked the area better and that it wasn't sooo darn expensive. My third choice is Minnesota. I lived in Minneapolis for a summer and love the Twin Cities.

Obviously location is a big deal to me. I know I will be so busy with school work that I won't have much time to enjoy the locations, but it does have a real impact on my state of happiness. I figure that the level education you get from any vet school is what you make of it, and as I have been told many times, the best vet school is the one you get into.

Im basically going to go where I get in. If I get in more than one and have a choice, it will come down to cost. I do like my IS but I am open to living anywhere in the country.

Stupid question: if you get in a school that offers residency after a year but they change their policy during your first year there are you not able to obtain residency? or are you locked into the previous policy?

Thanks

I applied to my three top choices, and only them. Haha. Couldn't afford to apply to more than that! NCSU, LSU, and UTK, all because they have reputations for strong exotics/wildlife/zoo courses, and were in geographical areas I know I like (relatively warm and urban).

Edit: I wonder if I can find a Santa hat small enough to fit on my mosquito's lil' noggin... ;)

Edit 2: :D :D :D

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with my brain considering a mosquito "cute." I may demand that hat be removed. :rofl:

I applied to Dublin, Minn, Missouri, Purdue, Kansas, Oklahoma, and St. George's.
I would absolutely LOVE to go to Dublin, but cost-wise, not so much. I'd say Purdue might be a top choice. Hard to decide :/

My top pick is Auburn for the sport's medicine program. They also are well known for their equine program. Kansas is my second choice for their large animal programs. Third is UF for instate.

I'd be thrilled to go to any of the three where I applied (VMRCVM, Oklahoma and Missouri). VMRCVM is my in-state, so the lower tuition is a very serious perk! I also really like Blacksburg and this school is the closest of the three to my family in Massachusetts. If I somehow get lucky enough to have multiple acceptances (... and someone is able to resuscitate me after I go into cardiac arrest :D ...), VMRCVM would be pretty hard for me to turn down. On the other hand, I like the sound of Oklahoma and their equine caseload and I also have a college friend who is now in vet school there. As far as Mizzou, it is undeniably an excellent school and I am in love with their 2 year classroom/2 year clinical curriculum (they don't seem to be in love with me, though - I haven't received an interview invitation!).

VMRCVM!!

IS, location, community, school pride, Hokie football, tracking options, research

I am heartened to see at least a few "whichever school sends me least massively into debt" choices.

I applied to Texas A&M (IS), Kansas, Oklahoma, and Mississippi.

my top choice is definitely A&M. Its instate, cheaper, i have a few friends going there already, i love college station, and ive heard great things about their programs. And its about a 40 minute drive from where i live now so that helps when moving.

2nd choice for now is kansas just from the great things ive heard about them. I'll know more when i interview in january. then Mississippi and Oklahoma are tied for 3rd.

But like everyone else, I'll go where I'm accepted. ;)

What is the easiest way to stick a hat on your avatar?
MS Paint in Windows 7 does not seem to have that opaque feature anymore. That is how I used to do things like that.
Edited to ad: Nevermind. I am pro.
Carry on.

Last edited:
What is the easiest way to stick a hat on your avatar?
MS Paint in Windows 7 does not seem to have that opaque feature anymore. That is how I used to do things like that.
Edited to ad: Nevermind. I am pro.
Carry on.

:laugh:

i am very much enjoying the holiday avatars i see popping up everywhere :)

if you ever need an easy program in the future, i used picnik.

I applied to 7 schools: WSU, ISU, KSU, Mizzou, UPenn, Mississippi State, and U of Edinburgh.

I will take whichever one accepts me. None of them is going to be significantly cheaper than any of the others because I am OOS everywhere.

I would have to say that I fell in love with KSU when I interviewed last year so it is high on my list.

But, I also liked Mississippi for various reasons too.

And I like Penn for various reasons, etc, etc. They all have their pros and cons and I will be happy to attend any of them.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with my brain considering a mosquito "cute." I may demand that hat be removed. :rofl:

But Mosquito Santa has gifts for all good boys and girls! Malaria, West Nile Virus, heartworms, Yellow Fever... ;)

But Mosquito Santa has gifts for all good boys and girls! Malaria, West Nile Virus, heartworms, Yellow Fever... ;)

Omg, that is what my Medical and Veterinary Entomology exam is mostly focused on. Yay 'skeeters.
I am bringing Schistosomiasis... or for those of you NOT in Africa, I am bringing Swimmer's Itch. Happy holidays. Here are some antibiotics.

Well, to be honest, Physa acuta is not a vector of schistosomiasis, but it can be a vector of the latter.

It reminds me of this camp song:

I woke up Sunday morning
And looked up on the wall
The skeeters and the bedbugs
Were playing a game of ball

The score was ten to nothing
The skeeters were a head
The bed bugs hit a home run
And knocked me out of bed

Singing eenie meenie and a miney moe
Catch a whipper whopper by his toe
And if he hollers, hollers, hollers