Why are you going into medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spent a good chunk of my childhood in hospitals and body casts. It's because of a group of dedicated physicians that as a 3 month old I survived a gunshot wound to the chest. That's just one of the main reasons I've always felt a strong connection to medicine. Even though I know not every story has a happy ending like mine, I want to help as many as I can.

Wow! I hope that is being put into your personal statement.

Members don't see this ad.

I made the decision of wanting to become a physician based on life experiences. I was born with a heart disease called shones syndrome. I experienced what it was like to be under the knife and have open-heart surgery, I was given an artificial mitral valve and a second chance at life because of the actions of another human being. I am inspired to study the heart and go into pediatric cardiology to help children with similar conditions as I. I would like to pay it forward and help others because I was once in their position. I feel that many people don't know why they want to be a physician and sadly many people are in it for the money but I think I have a damn good reason for wanting to go into medicine.:)

I want to be a Physician because:
*I am fascinated by Human anatomy and physiology
*I want to cure people and take away their pain
*I want to apply my love of science and humanities
*I cant imagine anything else.
My beloved uncle died of a heart attack in front of my eyes and i couldn't be able to help him, i want to be a doctor so that i can help people and cure them of their
anomalies. Medicine cured my grandfather who had a heart condition and had to have a open heart surgery and a bypass. I was fascinated the way that heart surgeon was handling my grandpas case he was amazing and i want to be like him.

I would want to contribute my expertise in finding the cure for the incurable diseases. I am a Muslim and i believe that God has given man a cure for every ailment its just a matter of how hard one looks for it. So i want to find those cures and help the whole humanity. I want to be a Physician because Physicians save lives everyday or if not save they make them better to the best of their abilities and this is a great thing for a person like me who comes from a religion where we believe that if you save one human it means that you have saved the whole humanity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be a Physician because:
*I am fascinated by Human anatomy and physiology
*I want to cure people and take away their pain
*I want to apply my love of science and humanities
*I cant imagine anything else.
My beloved uncle died of a heart attack in front of my eyes and i couldn't be able to help him, i want to be a doctor so that i can help people and cure them of their
anomalies. Medicine cured my grandfather who had a heart condition and had to have a open heart surgery and a bypass. I was fascinated the way that heart surgeon was handling my grandpas case he was amazing and i want to be like him.

I would want to contribute my expertise in finding the cure for the incurable diseases. I am a Muslim and i believe that God has given man a cure for every ailment its just a matter of how hard one looks for it. So i want to find those cures and help the whole humanity. I want to be a Physician because Physicians save lives everyday or if not save they make them better to the best of their abilities and this is a great thing for a person like me who comes from a religion where we believe that if you save one human it means that you have saved the whole humanity.

After reading this thread, I have concluded that the main reason for the folks who posted in this thread to become doctors is of an "emotional" basis. Meaning, the reasons for their desire to be a doctor are based on emotional reasons, not pragmatic, reasonable reasons.

The true reasons for becoming a doctor are the following:

- You need to make money to provide security for yourself, a family, to buy food, and the like.

- You can either become a government dependent low life or become a productive citizen. Becoming a doctor is becoming a productive citizen.

- To preform a surgery or give a medication (non OTC), our government has required a person to attend school and pass certain exams. So you go to school and pass the exams so you can "help" a person when they are ill.

- Because you can. In America you have the choice to do what you want in life. So people chose to become a doctor.

- You can make good money (let's be real). But not "real" money that creates wealth.

All of the other reasons, well most, anyways, are of emotional basis.

After reading this thread, I have concluded that the main reason for the folks who posted in this thread to become doctors is of an "emotional" basis. Meaning, the reasons for their desire to be a doctor are based on emotional reasons, not pragmatic, reasonable reasons.

The true reasons for becoming a doctor are the following:

- You need to make money to provide security for yourself, a family, to buy food, and the like.

- You can either become a government dependent low life or become a productive citizen. Becoming a doctor is becoming a productive citizen.

- To preform a surgery or give a medication (non OTC), our government has required a person to attend school and pass certain exams. So you go to school and pass the exams so you can "help" a person when they are ill.

- Because you can. In America you have the choice to do what you want in life. So people chose to become a doctor.

- You can make good money (let's be real). But not "real" money that creates wealth.

All of the other reasons, well most, anyways, are of emotional basis.
Why are those reasons the "true reasons?" I don't think that your reasons, or mine for that matter, are any more true than anyone else's. I'm assuming by "reasonable reasons" you mean something more like reasoned reasons (that word is starting to lose meaning haha). I definitely think that an emotional reason can be reasonable
b : of an appropriate degree or kind
After all, if the only reason you are pursuing medicine is for money, what if you find a job that pays more? and they are out there. Some of your reasons show a passion for money, not medicine.

I do not think becoming a physician is a rational decision. In fact, rationally speaking, becoming a physician is rather stupid. Sure you can make good money and there's good prestige too, but only at tremendous personal sacrifice. There are so many careers out there that make a lot more sense.

I want to be a doctor so I could prove those who told me "You'll end up changing your mind" wrong. oh and i'm fascinated by the long ardous process of becoming a doctor :]

I'll be honest. I just love puzzles. That's why I'm a math major undergrad and want to go into medicine. What other career can you walk in each day and know without a doubt you're going to be pushed intellectually? Plus its ok to have an ego and want to be the best :) Helping people is great. But for me the puzzles would be the real rush I feel like haha

phospho -- so honest in your reply. I don't think there's anyone who would disagree that today's procedures for getting into medical school suck. I've talked to a bunch of doctors -- okay they're practically fossils -- but they didn't have to jump through the hoops we do now. They just had to have good grades and the brains to get through medical school. I told one retired guy about struggling with the personal statement and he agreed it was all bull****. But we all go along cause that's what you've got to do to get in. Somebody's gotta be making a ton of money off the racket that is the process of getting into medical school

No one knows why the hell they want medicine. They can't know. Not a single volunteering job, shadowing experience, or any course that you take can give you a glimpse of what it'll be like when you're done. I just finished M1, and I still don't know what the hell medicine is. Quite a bit of the replies on this thread mention how they "love medicine". I don't know about you, but I can tell you that there's no way I can love medicine (or anything for that matter) if I don't know what the heck it is that I'm dealing with in the first place.

My reason for going into medicine: I'm smart, I love the challenge, and I think medicine would be a great way for ME to grow up intellectually and emotionally. Screw the whole helping people crap. Every profession helps people, and almost every profession “has a direct effect on other individuals”.

Don’t get me wrong, I like helping people. But, I did not go into medicine to help people. There are hundreds of other jobs I could have applied for that could have given me the opportunity to help even more people than a physician would. I went into medicine for ME ME ME ME. Everything else comes second. Unfortunately, it almost seems like these days you can’t get into medical school unless you know what to say, and know how to make them think that you drank the kool aid.

Imagine a world without janitors. Everything would be disgusting. Everything would stink. Going to the bathroom would become a nightmare. Imagine a world without cops. Hell would break lose. Imagine a world without lawyers. You can get screwed over and over again, and you wouldn't know how to even start defending yourself. A world without teachers? Bus drivers? Baby sitters? Dentists? FIREMEN? You can’t say that these people don’t have a direct effect on our lives.

We're just like everyone else. We're just a little more type A, with 10 times the ego of the average person. We just don’t want to think that we went through all this crap to be where we’re at right now, and yet we’re still just like everyone else.

Oh, and no, I would not be in medicine if the money wasn’t this good. I’m not in it for the money, but there’s no way in hell I would do this if it weren’t for the money. If that makes any sense.

Geez, I only wanted to type a few sentences. Not a whole page. Maybe I need a hug :D
This! :thumbup:

It seems like there's no way you can know what the practice of medicine is like until the clinical years. I don't know how so many people "love" medicine already when they don't know what it is. Furthermore, it's likely to be much different than it is now when we start practicing a decade from now.