Why the University of Pittsburgh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChePibe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who will be attending or those hopefuls of this school: what attracts you to this school? The city is not the best by any standards however, besides the ranking (top 20), research, and faculty, what else makes this school a top choice for students.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

top notch faculty, great facilities, cheap cost of living, amazing research opportunities, regional patient monopoly, strength in neuro

To those who will be attending or those hopefuls of this school: what attracts you to this school? The city is not the best by any standards however, besides the ranking (top 20), research, and faculty, what else makes this school a top choice for students.
Thanks in advance.

What makes you say that? It has great museums and lots of college life. You can get the big city feeling downtown or the small college town atmosphere in the nieghborhoods scattered all over the place. Nice parks, close to skiing, etc. Of course, coming from Cleveland I am forced to hate the city and everything about it (boo Steelers:laugh:), but I can see how others would really like living there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pittsburgh has actually been voted one of the best cities to live in. You can Wikipedia the city, it's actually very full of cultural events, nightlife, live music scenes, etc. It's actually really nice there :) I grew up in that area, it's really not as bad as the grey skies make it look. Really the biggest downside is the winter weather.

hahah.
I just spent the weekend there after my interview because I had heard so much about how great the city was. After visiting all 10 of the 'top 10 places to visit' I was sorely disappointed...

What I liked about pitt was how it was very well balanced. Not only do they have great research but also great clinical training. The wiser center is incredible. Students were down to earth and very friendly.

Thanks in advance.

The city is actually beautiful and is full of life. I mean it doesn't compare to NY, MIAMI, LAS VEGAS or anything like that but it surely holds it's own. I mean, LOL, it kills Gainsville.

pitt is so depressing. overcast 365 days a year..

Heh...more like 180 days...but yeah, the weather isn't that great.

I do really like the city and the school though, liked it enough to cancel interviews at Sinai and Gtown. The facilities and opportunities due to the giant UPMC network over the city is pretty impressive. And CMU is really close by, which I think it cool, because I like computers and informatics, and Pitt does work with the engineers there (hence the awesomeness that is WISER). I might even pick Pitt over Cornell (if I get in come March)...dunno though, we'll see.

UPMC is a beast! GREAT clinical experience!

Heh...more like 180 days...but yeah, the weather isn't that great.

I do really like the city and the school though, liked it enough to cancel interviews at Sinai and Gtown. The facilities and opportunities due to the giant UPMC network over the city is pretty impressive. And CMU is really close by, which I think it cool, because I like computers and informatics, and Pitt does work with the engineers there (hence the awesomeness that is WISER). I might even pick Pitt over Cornell (if I get in come March)...dunno though, we'll see.

I'm pretty devastated I didn't even get an interview at Pitt, even though I have several acceptances elsewhere. I love the city of Pittsburgh, so maybe I'll have to hope I get a UPMC residency spot?