2023-2024 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also no info on 2nd look day yet right?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 Waitlist…hoping for some movement in the spring!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on previous years threads and MSAR, this seems to be a summary of what we know about the waitlist. Posting here to organize my thoughts and allow anyone else with additional info to chime in:

-Waitlist used to be tiered (high priority/low priority) but in recent years, admissions has denied that this is the case and stated that the waitlist is unranked, and that they review applicants on the waitlist individually, possibly according to the profile of their currently admitted class and with the interest of keeping a balanced class makeup.
-Letters of intent can be impactful, per report of current students. If you have meaningful updates it's a good idea to share those too, esp pubs
-A trickle of WL movement may happen a month or so after decisions are released through March and April, but a majority of this movement seems to be for students who are admitted to the PSTP program, which then moves them off of the waitlist
-Most movement for regular MD applicants on the waitlist happens in early May, right after 'Plan to Enroll' becomes obligatory and students holding multiple acceptances are forced to narrow down their choice to one school. Last year (22/23 cycle) there was only one significant wave of waitlist movement reported on May 2nd. The previous year (21/22 cycle), there was no wave of WL->A reported, possibly because the year before (20/21 cycle) they reportedly overadmitted from the waitlist
-MSAR reports an average of ~65 students are admitted from the waitlist, which is a little less than half of the class. I'd love to know how many students are on the waitlist but haven't seen that information anywhere

That sums up what I've been able to learn! I haven't looked at CycleTrack and would welcome any insight from others if there are details I've left out. Best of luck to all those still waiting, including me haha

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Based on previous years threads and MSAR, this seems to be a summary of what we know about the waitlist. Posting here to organize my thoughts and allow anyone else with additional info to chime in:

-Waitlist used to be tiered (high priority/low priority) but in recent years, admissions has denied that this is the case and stated that the waitlist is unranked, and that they review applicants on the waitlist individually, possibly according to the profile of their currently admitted class and with the interest of keeping a balanced class makeup.
-Letters of intent can be impactful, per report of current students (have seen this in threads and also been told this by a med student friend involved in admissions there). If you have meaningful updates it's a good idea to share those too, esp pubs
-A trickle of WL movement may happen a month or so after decisions are released through March and April, but a majority of this movement seems to be for students who are admitted to the PSTP program, which then moves them off of the waitlist
-Most movement for regular MD applicants on the waitlist happens in early May, right after 'Plan to Enroll' becomes obligatory and students holding multiple acceptances are forced to narrow down their choice to one school. Last year (22/23 cycle) there was only one significant wave of waitlist movement reported on May 2nd. The previous year (21/22 cycle), there was no wave of WL->A reported, possibly because the year before (20/21 cycle) they reportedly overadmitted from the waitlist
-MSAR reports an average of ~65 students are admitted from the waitlist, which is a little less than half of the class. I'd love to know how many students are on the waitlist but haven't seen that information anywhere

That sums up what I've been able to learn! I haven't looked at CycleTrack and would welcome any insight from others if there are details I've left out. Best of luck to all those still waiting, including me haha
My goat right here

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Are there any current pitt students on here willing to chat? Would love some insight as I start deciding on a school :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i am a little confused that they still haven’t sent out emails about the portal update. just seems like an odd lack of communication

Reactions: 14 users
i am a little confused that they still haven’t sent out emails about the portal update. just seems like an odd lack of communication
maybe they’ll send an email on the 16th since that’s the official release date?

Does anybody know if there is a date we need to have the required forms on the portal done by or where we confirm acceptance?

Got my physical rejection letter :)

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Got my physical rejection letter :)
The USPS allows you to write "Refused" across the unopened envelope and leave it in your mailbox to return to sender.

Edit: Not endorsing any particular action, just providing information.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
thank god for sdn bc if I didn’t know decisions were out and I got a physical letter in the mail I’d think I was accepted just to open a waitlist letter 💀

• Haha
Just got my physical rejection letter too. OOS R, Interviewed 10/16. Interviewer also told me he'll see me in the Fall...

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Do they send letters for Rs and As or WL too? I want to prank my family show them the letter and say a school hated me so much they went out of their way to lmk

Do they send letters for Rs and As or WL too? I want to prank my family show them the letter and say a school hated me so much they went out of their way to lmk
got a physical letter for WL too <3 my dad was like "look you got a letter they changed their mind!"

• Sad
  • Care
  • Haha
Just got my physical rejection letter too. OOS R, Interviewed 10/16. Interviewer also told me he'll see me in the Fall...

Interviewed early like you and also got the R. I really don’t like how they made us wait this long. I mean we’re subject to whatever they decide, but which genius at the school thought it was a good idea to release decisions at once. Most top schools don’t do this.

Reactions: 2 users

Pretty sure we get physical letters for any decision result, let us know how this goes if you end up doing it lol

Interviewed early like you and also got the R. I really don’t like how they made us wait this long. I mean we’re subject to whatever they decide, but which genius at the school thought it was a good idea to release decisions at once. Most top schools don’t do this.
Right like. I interviewed back in August lmfao instead of sending me a physical letter of my rejection I would’ve just preferred to know earlier. Having physical proof of a rejection is so dumb too, rubbing salt to my wound

Reactions: 3 users
Got the A on Friday! Beyond thrilled. Does anyone know if there are any more PSTP interviews being held? I have not heard back yet

Got the A on Friday! Beyond thrilled. Does anyone know if there are any more PSTP interviews being held? I have not heard back yet
Congrats on the A!!! unforto an email was sent to pstp interviewees that pstp interviews will finish by Feb 12

Congrats on the A!!! unforto an email was sent to pstp interviewees that pstp interviews will finish by Feb 12
It was unclear to me if this email was referring to interview-invites or post-interview decisions. In the portal, it still says my application is under review. Thank you for clarifying, though- I suppose no more interviews will be going out :(

• Care
+1 WL... this process is truly not for the weak. it is so hard to stay positive during this process, I have been deferred, waitlisted, and waiting for months post-interview with no word from others. how have you guys been managing?

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
+1 WL... this process is truly not for the weak. it is so hard to stay positive during this process, I have been deferred, waitlisted, and waiting for months post-interview with no word from others. how have you guys been managing?
i’m in a similar position and honestly i have not been managing

• Care
I just got the email telling me my application status changed

Reactions: 8 users
Just tryna thug it out

-Letters of intent can be impactful, per report of current students. If you have meaningful updates it's a good idea to share those too, esp pubs

I hope both sides of your pillow are always cold and that you get everything you wish for in life OP

• Love
Thanks for letting me know I’m still on the waitlist Pitt lmao 🥲

Reactions: 6 users
It was unclear to me if this email was referring to interview-invites or post-interview decisions. In the portal, it still says my application is under review. Thank you for clarifying, though- I suppose no more interviews will be going out :(
Got the PSTP II! Lol

Last edited:
I can't find where to submit a letter of intent on the portal

edit: emailed admissions asking

Last edited:
hey guys comparing schools rn and can’t get a great gauge on Pitt’s match list ngl. mostly good but some weird small programs

hey guys comparing schools rn and can’t get a great gauge on Pitt’s match list ngl. mostly good but some weird small programs
I truthfully wouldn't worry about it too much. They are top 20 program with great great residency programs. Just do well on your boards, do some research, and rizz the program directors at Pitt.

the m
I truthfully wouldn't worry about it too much. They are top 20 program with great great residency programs. Just do well on your boards, do some research, and rizz the program directors at Pitt.
thank you king 🧎🧎🧎