You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2107
Started by AlteredScale
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just submitted. Good luck everybody 🙂
I'm going to Carey's MBS program this fall and submitting my app after the first semester/trimester. Hope it's not too late!
They do offer an MCAT prep course (5 weeks) prior to the start of the MBS but is included in the tuition which is awesome.
Good luck to all those applying this cycle and I hope I'll be joining the "accepted" group sometime this year!
They do offer an MCAT prep course (5 weeks) prior to the start of the MBS but is included in the tuition which is awesome.Good luck to all those applying this cycle and I hope I'll be joining the "accepted" group sometime this year!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello new applicants. Newly promoted OMS-2 here. If anyone has any questions about Carey, changes or rumors they may have heard, worries/concerns or would just like to know more about what first year is like from someone that got through it ask away. If you have a question or comment of a more personal/ controversial nature send me a PM.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I would also like to state that finding the right medical school that fits for you is very important. Just because a school accepts you/ you feel qualified for does not mean a school is right for you. Make sure the school is in place you want to be in, the school will train you to be ready for boards and rotations and if they cant/wont make sure you have mechanism in place to get what you need and make sure you want to be a D.O. The D.O. world is changing alot and some is good but all of these changes have made the residency world very competitive and much harder each year on D.O. wanting those competitive spots. Make sure you are not settling and this fits you because once you are in, you are in.
Last, make sure you do this for you. I have seen it and many times people quit or fail out because of it. Debt for medical school is only going up and this isnt your parents/grandparents life it is yours. Life is too short to be unhappy in a career that makes your family happy.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last, make sure you do this for you. I have seen it and many times people quit or fail out because of it. Debt for medical school is only going up and this isnt your parents/grandparents life it is yours. Life is too short to be unhappy in a career that makes your family happy.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Can you kind of go over what you have heard as far as the match goes? I remember a couple of years back when the school graduated its inagural class that there were several that didn't match and some that didn't have any success scrambling either?
Has this gotten any better that you know of?
Also, did you do a SMP?
Has this gotten any better that you know of?
Also, did you do a SMP?
I would also like to state that finding the right medical school that fits for you is very important. Just because a school accepts you/ you feel qualified for does not mean a school is right for you. Make sure the school is in place you want to be in, the school will train you to be ready for boards and rotations and if they cant/wont make sure you have mechanism in place to get what you need and make sure you want to be a D.O. The D.O. world is changing alot and some is good but all of these changes have made the residency world very competitive and much harder each year on D.O. wanting those competitive spots. Make sure you are not settling and this fits you because once you are in, you are in.
Last, make sure you do this for you. I have seen it and many times people quit or fail out because of it. Debt for medical school is only going up and this isnt your parents/grandparents life it is yours. Life is too short to be unhappy in a career that makes your family happy.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Can you kind of go over what you have heard as far as the match goes? I remember a couple of years back when the school graduated its inagural class that there were several that didn't match and some that didn't have any success scrambling either?
Has this gotten any better that you know of?
Also, did you do a SMP?
Sure sure. Well the match is complicated. While in the beginning many did have major problems matching this did recover over the years however competitive matches did not. The reason for the low match in the beginning a lack of matching in competitive residencies is the same ,low board scores and many did not take USMLE. Now I expect that these score will continue to rise but will still remain below average but passing. There are many reasons for this and that discussion would be better suited for a PM. So if you would like to read/discuss it further shoot me a pm so we dont clog up the board here.
As a general response we do have more people matching pre scramble. With the merger however the competition is going to be much greater in every field so we shall see what happens over the next year or two.
Yes I did do an SMP and while it didnt help me get into the schools i wanted it did prepare me very well for OMS1 and OMS2 which will allow me to focus more on boards and less on course work.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Submitted!! Good luck to everyone
Any other MBS takers?
Just received the secondary!!! Verified 05/28
@AlteredScale There is only 1 question for this secondary
The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.
In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.
@AlteredScale There is only 1 question for this secondary
The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.
In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.
Lol. No secondary yet....they not even email me that they received my primary yet. Verified 05/24
Lol. No secondary yet....they not even email me that they received my primary yet. Verified 05/24
Lol i know its frustrating.
If it makes you feel better my last name starts at the beginning of the alphabet so I'm sure that played a role.
Lol i know its frustrating.
If it makes you feel better my last name starts at the beginning of the alphabet so I'm sure that played a role.
Probably that was the case haha. My last name is like middle of the alphabet haha. Did they send you an email tell you that they received your app?
Probably that was the case haha. My last name is like middle of the alphabet haha. Did they send you an email tell you that they received your app?
Not a separate email. I just got one email that states we have received your application and here is the secondary.
I wouldn't look too far into it. They'll get to you within the week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Few questions on the secondary. On the application, it asks for your MCAT scores, but it has the old sections of the exam listed. What if you took the new one? Also does this school accept the AACOMAS fee waiver and is there a limit on the essay?
You should call and ask.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You should call and ask.
I have called multiple times and it goes to voicemail.
Still no secondary. I'm worrying 🙁
Still no secondary. I'm worrying 🙁
Dont worry still early and remember Carey only sends out secondaries to those it is very very interested in interviewing. If you submitted your primary and its been more than a month, you may have been screened out but it could be an error or they are holding your app for later. If you are concerned call them if youworry that maybe your stats maybe holding you out and would like to discuss it send me a PM.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last edited:
k
Last edited:
Sent my secondary today. It stinks its not electronic so I have wait a week for them to get it. 
Wait...it's paper????Sent my secondary today. It stinks its not electronic so I have wait a week for them to get it.![]()
Wait...it's paper????
Mu surprise it that paper gets ya... Not the youre not like " omg, its Mississippi?"
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Literally what?Mu surprise it that paper gets ya... Not the youre not like " omg, its Mississippi?"
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Mu surprise it that paper gets ya... Not the youre not like " omg, its Mississippi?"
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I like the school but the secondary invite looked like spam haha
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wait...it's paper????
Yeah they email you a word file that you print out and mail to them.
Stinks but hey gotta do what you gotta do
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
@WorldChanger36 Now that we are talking about Mississippi. I had questions regarding clinical rotations.
When I tried to google any possible sites it just kept referring to the hub sites for "your community".
Are these assigned hub sites located only Mississippi or do they include bordering states. Also do you happen to know any possible common locations that most of us will probably go to?
Finally do you know anyone that can comment on the quality of this "hub site" idea. I get it can be variable but somebody that can comment how it is going through would be helpful.
Appreciate it 🙂
When I tried to google any possible sites it just kept referring to the hub sites for "your community".
Are these assigned hub sites located only Mississippi or do they include bordering states. Also do you happen to know any possible common locations that most of us will probably go to?
Finally do you know anyone that can comment on the quality of this "hub site" idea. I get it can be variable but somebody that can comment how it is going through would be helpful.
Appreciate it 🙂
Yeah they email you a word file that you print out and mail to them.
Stinks but hey gotta do what you gotta do
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
See its half the tech and the same price. That way less tech savvy peeps are only half as frustrated.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
@WorldChanger36 Now that we are talking about Mississippi. I had questions regarding clinical rotations.
When I tried to google any possible sites it just kept referring to the hub sites for "your community".
Are these assigned hub sites located only Mississippi or do they include bordering states. Also do you happen to know any possible common locations that most of us will probably go to?
Finally do you know anyone that can comment on the quality of this "hub site" idea. I get it can be variable but somebody that can comment how it is going through would be helpful.
Appreciate it 🙂
Hub sites change every year but here is what is common. There are some sites in Louisiana, Texas and Florida most are in mississippi. In MS the distribution of the sites vary but most people "try" to stay in the pine belt ( hattiesburg area) or the Coastal area as these areas "seem to" have the better rotation and people may not have to move. The Delta area is typically avoided because it is super backwoods and poor but people commonly are happy with what they learn there. I like the way Carey handles who goes where as they try hard to accommodate every body but families and long time residents get priority, others ( not married with children) often just get stuck in a random pull your name out of a hat, you go here type of system. Sometimes this works, other times not so much. They try to keep it together but not everyone is going to be happy and may have to make multiple moves.
As far as quality goes this is a DO school so unlike our MD counterparts we dont "own" a hospital that we rotate at. We rotate at regional hospitals and private offices. For some this is great because there are not 40 other people there with you often its a handful at most but they may not do some procedures. If there is a fourth year out there that can better clear this up that would be great but thats all i have heard.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I get one, I'm sending it via overight shipping.Sent my secondary today. It stinks its not electronic so I have wait a week for them to get it.![]()
If I get one, I'm sending it via overight shipping.
I wish I did that but it was like an extra $100 (pretty sure I was lied to) so I just went with express
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey @getfat! you got a secondary for this one????? I haven't heard anything from this school :\ What was the secondary like through e-mail?I wish I did that but it was like an extra $100 (pretty sure I was lied to) so I just went with express
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
@ChelseaPsyche Admissions sends you a word document and you need to print/send to admissions via postal.
There is essentially one secondary question (See 1st post). Everything else is just copying your primary.
Also they want a head shot; so if you are interested it would be good to work on getting that prepared beforehand.
There is essentially one secondary question (See 1st post). Everything else is just copying your primary.
Also they want a head shot; so if you are interested it would be good to work on getting that prepared beforehand.
what is the word count for the secondary?
I just stuck with 3/4 of a page (unspaced).
I think you are good as long as it stays under a page.
@ChelseaPsyche Admissions sends you a word document and you need to print/send to admissions via postal.
There is essentially one secondary question (See 1st post). Everything else is just copying your primary.
Also they want a head shot; so if you are interested it would be good to work on getting that prepared beforehand.
Thanks! Guess I'm still waiting for them to e-mail/mail me then 😛
Edit: Just read through the thread completely and now changing "waiting for secondary" to "worrying for secondary".
Did anyone else here receive a secondary yet?
2nd edit: I just thought of the good side of being screened heavily before secondaries: we don't have to pay for secondaries just to get rejected before II. Good on them for doing it this way then!
Last edited:
Thanks! Guess I'm still waiting for them to e-mail/mail me then 😛
Edit: Just read through the thread completely and now changing "waiting for secondary" to "worrying for secondary".
Did anyone else here receive a secondary yet?
I got one.. Apparently they're very selective of who they give out secondaries to. It's not just based on numbers but also if they think you'd be a good fit there. There's more info in past threads
Just received Application complete email this morning.
This struck me as kinda odd because UPS stated my mail would reach destination Thursday.
This struck me as kinda odd because UPS stated my mail would reach destination Thursday.
I heard that this school is on the lower side of the DO schools, but I don't know why exactly. Can anyone comment?
What degree field, e.g. BA in Gameshow Hostingwhat does it mean by " Degree Conferred"
What you see is what you get:I heard that this school is on the lower side of the DO schools, but I don't know why exactly. Can anyone comment?
Touro-Ca: 3.50/3.45/30.8 (2015) 65.8 http://admissions.tu.edu/com/demographics.html
CCOM: 3.64/3.57/29.4 (2015) 65.8 https://www.midwestern.edu/programs_and_admission/il_osteopathic_medicine.html
RVU: 3.63/?/28.5 (2015) 64.8 http://www.rvu.edu/academics/college-of-osteo-medicine-rvucom/
DMU: 3.65/3.61/28.8 (2015) 65.3 https://www.dmu.edu/do/class-profile/
UNTHSC-TCOM: 3.67/3.57/28 (2015) 64.7 https://www.unthsc.edu/texas-colleg...utreach/tcom-admissions-statistics-2013-2014/
MSU: 3.64/3.6/29 (2015) 65.4
NYIT: 3.6/28 64.4 http://www.nyit.edu/medicine/admissions/frequently_asked_questions/
COMP: 3.65/3.60/27.99 64.5 http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/competitive-10/
AZCOM: 3.51/3.44/30 65.1 https://www.midwestern.edu/programs_and_admission/az_osteopathic_medicine.html
UNECOM: 3.5/27 62.0 http://www.une.edu/com/admissions/information
RowanSOM: 3.54/3.48/29 64.4 http://www.rowan.edu/som/education/admissions/faq.html
LECOM-B: 3.53/3.45/28 Cannot Verify
Touro-NV: 3.5/3.4/28 Cannot Verify
NSU: 3.49/3.40/28 (2013) Cannot Verify
KCUMB: 3.67/3.62/27.8 64.5 http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/students-and-alumni/
Marian: 3.62/3.56/27.53 (2015) Cannot Verify 2015. http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/admissions/admission-faqs
OU-HCOM: 3.65/3.58/27.37 63.9 http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/OUHCOM/facts.htm
PNWU: 3.46/3.37/27.29 (2015) 61.9 http://www.pnwu.edu/admissions/fast-facts/
CUSOM: 3.6/3.5/27 Cannot Verify
KCOM: 3.46/3.34/27 Cannot Verify
PCOM: 3.5/3.4/27.47 (2015) 62.5
LECOM-E/SH: 3.5/3.4/27 http://lecom.edu/academics/the-college-of-medicine/faq-college-of-medicine/
SOMA: 3.39/3.34/26.04 59.9 http://www.atsu.edu/soma/prospective_students/academic_fastfacts.htm
PCOM-Ga: 3.4/3.5/27 Cannot Verify
COMP-NW: 3.55/3.5/28 63.5 http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic-nw/competitive-16/
OSU-COM: 3.6/3.6/27 63.0 http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/com/admissions/requirements.php
WCU: 3.5/3.4/26 (2013) Cannot Verify
ACOM: 3.4/26 (2013) Cannot Verify
VCOM (all): 3.6/3.5/25.36 61.4 http://www.vcom.edu/admissions/requirements.html
LMU: 3.43/3.35/25-26 Cannot Verify
WVSOM: 3.4/3.36/25 59.0 https://www.wvsom.edu/Admissions/applicants-home
KYCOM: 3.50/3.41/24.6 Cannot Verify
LUCOM: 3.4/24 Cannot Verify
Touro-NY Cannot Verify
BCOM: 3.5/?/25 60.0 http://www.burrellgroupmtpfs.org/BCOMatNMSU-12-3.pdf
Conventional rule of thumb is go to the best school you can get into negating cost. (i.e., if some lower ranked school offers you a scholarship or is materially less expensive, give them proper consideration.)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the most current average gpa/mcat for wcu?
for "List all extracurricular, volunteer, or vocational activities you participated in while in college. Include dates."
can we go over the given line space and does this include both within our school and in the community?
I just made an extra line for that are you handwriting or typing ?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
does WCUCOM wants their students to practice in Missisippi or can it be anywhere?
There is a preference for southeast region
FL resident here and I got secondary pretty quick
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I just made an extra line for that are you handwriting or typing ?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
for this section I am typing and okay thanks I will make extra lines if needed!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 297
- Views
- 49K
- Replies
- 482
- Views
- 95K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 139K
- Replies
- 200
- Views
- 58K
- Replies
- 502
- Views
- 130K