You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2107
Started by AlteredScale
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
for the academic honour sections do research awards count and best poster awards?
Nope and nope. They go elsewhere not here
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Where are you getting the information that WCU-COM sends secondaries only to those it is very interested in interviewing? If that's true its promising!Dont worry still early and remember Carey only sends out secondaries to those it is very very interested in interviewing. If you submitted your primary and its been more than a month, you may have been screened out but it could be an error or they are holding your app for later. If you are concerned call them if youworry that maybe your stats maybe holding you out and would like to discuss it send me a PM.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where are you getting the information that WCU-COM sends secondaries only to those it is very interested in interviewing? If that's true its promising!
Im a current second year and when i applied we were openly told. " We only send secondaries to those we wish to interview " Policy still the same.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
when it says "list all ec , volunteer and vocational activities you participated in while in college, include dates"
can I just list the ones from the aacomas app and include the dates or are they also looking for a description?
Rule of thumb is what you put in your primary is what goes into secondaries. List means to just write down the title of the activity and a date. A small 3 to 5 word description only if it seems confusing.
Carey will get the details during the interview
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Can you go ahead and Mail the secondary without submitting letters of recommendation through AACOMAS? My letters won't be in till August...
Can you go ahead and Mail the secondary without submitting letters of recommendation through AACOMAS? My letters won't be in till August...
Sure and you should. Pay the secondary fee and get as much done as you can. They wont mark you complete until those letters are in. When your letters are acknowledged on aacomas call every school you applied to and ask if they have them. August is a good month to be complete.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sure and you should. Pay the secondary fee and get as much done as you can. They wont mark you complete until those letters are in. When your letters are acknowledged on aacomas call every school you applied to and ask if they have them. August is a good month to be complete.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks! And I am a reapp this cycle so I am really anxious about getting in this time around...
This is excellent, thanks for the info!Im a current second year and when i applied we were openly told. " We only send secondaries to those we wish to interview " Policy still the same.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Also, did anyone else add all of their recommenders in the space to fill in for LORs? They only give an option for a physician, science faculty, and premed advisor. (I have 2 physicians, 3 faculty and an advisor.)
I just added the ones that the app requested, so 1 physician, and either 1 pre-med and 1 faculty, or 2 faculty and 1 physicianThis is excellent, thanks for the info!
Also, did anyone else add all of their recommenders in the space to fill in for LORs? They only give an option for a physician, science faculty, and premed advisor. (I have 2 physicians, 3 faculty and an advisor.)
@WorldChanger36 How long should I wait before contacting admissions about not receiving a secondary? My application was complete 6/21.
You mean your primary was recognized on 6/21. You are not complete at a school until primary is in, secondary is in, letters and requests are in, scores are in, fees are paid and the school says " Your app in now complete and under review."
When should you contact a school about a secondary? Most school are not competitive about who they send secondaries to, Carey is. In other words they screen hard. In would wait 2 months before calling and asking about your app and a few other questions ( try not to just ask about your status). If nothing happens after that i think you are just beat. Send me a pm with your stats and i would be happy to talk more about this with you
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Is there a word limit on their secondary essay?
Is there a word limit on their secondary essay?
Now i am not sure if this has changed or not but i am pretty sure the limit is the annoyance level of the reader and or however much paper you can attach. Whatever happens first.
Pro tip: shorter is better just make sure it says what it needs to say
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Touro-Ca: 3.50/3.45/30.8 (2015) 65.8What is the most current average gpa/mcat for wcu?
CCOM: 3.59/3.53/29.4 (2015) 65.5
MSU: 3.64/3.6/29 (2015) 65.4
DMU: 3.65/3.61/28.8 (2015) 65.3
AZCOM: 3.51/3.44/30 65.1
RVU: 3.63/?/28.5 (2015) 64.8
UNTHSC-TCOM: 3.67/3.57/28 (2015) 64.7
KCUMB: 3.67/3.62/27.8 64.5
NYIT: 3.6/28 64.4
RowanSOM: 3.54/3.48/29 64.4
Western: 3.58/3.56/28 63.8
LECOM-B: 3.53/3.45/28
Touro-NV: 3.5/3.4/28
NSU: 3.49/3.40/28 (2013)
Marian: 3.62/3.56/27.53 (2015)
OU-HCOM: 3.65/3.58/27.37 63.9
COMP-NW: 3.55/3.5/28 63.5
OSU-COM: 3.6/3.6/27 63.0
UNECOM: 3.5/27 62.0
PNWU: 3.46/3.37/27.29 (2015) 61.9
PCOM-Ga: 3.4/3.5/27 61.0
CUSOM: 3.6/3.5/27
KCOM: 3.46/3.34/27
PCOM: 3.5/3.5/27
LECOM-E/SH: 3.48/3.35/27 (2013)
SOMA: 3.39/3.34/26.04 59.9
WCU: 3.5/3.4/502 = 26 (2016) 61
ACOM: 3.5/3.3/26 (2015) 61
VCOM (all): 3.6/3.5/25.36 61.4
BCOM: 3.5/?/25 60.0
KYCOM: 3.50/3.41/24.6 59.6
LMU: 3.43/3.35/25-26 ~59
WVSOM: 3.4/3.36/25 59.0
LUCOM: 3.4/24 58
Touro-NY ?? (I believe similar to Touro-CA)
Whe
Touro-Ca: 3.50/3.45/30.8 (2015) 65.8
CCOM: 3.59/3.53/29.4 (2015) 65.5
MSU: 3.64/3.6/29 (2015) 65.4
DMU: 3.65/3.61/28.8 (2015) 65.3
AZCOM: 3.51/3.44/30 65.1
RVU: 3.63/?/28.5 (2015) 64.8
UNTHSC-TCOM: 3.67/3.57/28 (2015) 64.7
KCUMB: 3.67/3.62/27.8 64.5
NYIT: 3.6/28 64.4
RowanSOM: 3.54/3.48/29 64.4
Western: 3.58/3.56/28 63.8
LECOM-B: 3.53/3.45/28
Touro-NV: 3.5/3.4/28
NSU: 3.49/3.40/28 (2013)
Marian: 3.62/3.56/27.53 (2015)
OU-HCOM: 3.65/3.58/27.37 63.9
COMP-NW: 3.55/3.5/28 63.5
OSU-COM: 3.6/3.6/27 63.0
UNECOM: 3.5/27 62.0
PNWU: 3.46/3.37/27.29 (2015) 61.9
PCOM-Ga: 3.4/3.5/27 61.0
CUSOM: 3.6/3.5/27
KCOM: 3.46/3.34/27
PCOM: 3.5/3.5/27
LECOM-E/SH: 3.48/3.35/27 (2013)
SOMA: 3.39/3.34/26.04 59.9
WCU: 3.5/3.4/502 = 26 (2016) 61
ACOM: 3.5/3.3/26 (2015) 61
VCOM (all): 3.6/3.5/25.36 61.4
BCOM: 3.5/?/25 60.0
KYCOM: 3.50/3.41/24.6 59.6
LMU: 3.43/3.35/25-26 ~59
WVSOM: 3.4/3.36/25 59.0
LUCOM: 3.4/24 58
Touro-NY ?? (I believe similar to Touro-CA)
If I mailed my secondary about 2 weeks ago and did not receive a "complete" email then should I call?
I never got a complete email from them. I just emailed asking if my app was complete and they said yes.
Does anybody know if interviews can be offered if you have an "in progress" course and that transcript (not from home institution) is not received because the course is still in progress? Thank you!
Depends. If the course is a prereq maybe, if not sure you can. Adcoms will just want to verify your attendance.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thats weird because I am taking genetics and am pretty sure genetics is not a pre-req but when I called they said they are waiting to receieve this transcript and cannot offer an interview until it comes in. Maybe I will call tmrw and seek clarification, because I also got an email saying my file is complete...Depends. If the course is a prereq maybe, if not sure you can. Adcoms will just want to verify your attendance.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thats weird because I am taking genetics and am pretty sure genetics is not a pre-req but when I called they said they are waiting to receieve this transcript and cannot offer an interview until it comes in. Maybe I will call tmrw and seek clarification, because I also got an email saying my file is complete...
Genetics is a prereq. What they want is grades really. So if your grades are strong order the transcript and have it sent over as soon as possible. Is it a summer course?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I went on the WCU website but didnt see genetics listed as a pre-req for admission, am I looking in the wrong place? Asking b/c I already submitted my secondary but have no intention of taking genetics during this coming application yearGenetics is a prereq. What they want is grades really. So if your grades are strong order the transcript and have it sent over as soon as possible. Is it a summer course?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Genetics is a prereq. What they want is grades really. So if your grades are strong order the transcript and have it sent over as soon as possible. Is it a summer course?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
grades are strong and for this genetic course right now the grades are look good. I have the final exam this week but transcript procesing and exam marking will take at least 2-3 weeks. I didn't know genetics was a prereq...never saw it online 🙁 thanks so much!
Because you started the course they will treat it like every other school... As a prereq. Once you finish and send in the grades you will be fine.grades are strong and for this genetic course right now the grades are look good. I have the final exam this week but transcript procesing and exam marking will take at least 2-3 weeks. I didn't know genetics was a prereq...never saw it online 🙁 thanks so much!
I went on the WCU website but didnt see genetics listed as a pre-req for admission, am I looking in the wrong place? Asking b/c I already submitted my secondary but have no intention of taking genetics during this coming application year
Its one of those unwritten prereqs as most medical schools require it and the majority of your competition has it. If you dont have it and dont want it dont take it. It wont hold you out here unless you have a weaker sciGPA then a strong grade will help you.
So it is a prereq in the broad medical school sense but not exactly in a William Carey specific sense but having it is helpful if and only if you do well in it.
I hope i didnt confuse you guys too bad.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is an important clarification, as genetics is NOT a required pre-requisite course for WCU-COM.Because you started the course they will treat it like every other school... As a prereq. Once you finish and send in the grades you will be fine.
Its one of those unwritten prereqs as most medical schools require it and the majority of your competition has it. If you dont have it and dont want it dont take it. It wont hold you out here unless you have a weaker sciGPA then a strong grade will help you.
So it is a prereq in the broad medical school sense but not exactly in a William Carey specific sense but having it is helpful if and only if you do well in it.
I hope i didnt confuse you guys too bad.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
As per AACOMAS, and their website, 12 hours of biology is required. Will genetics help? Sure. Will an upper level biochemistry course help? Sure. Any upper level coursework will help, but one may apply without genetics in their course transcript.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How is the material that needs to be learned presented to students? Is it all powerpoint? Is WCU pass/fail?
How is the material that needs to be learned presented to students? Is it all powerpoint? Is WCU pass/fail?
1) powerpoint lectures and huge textbooks just like undergrad
2) 99 percent of everything from faculty is powerpoint
3) no you have grades and class ranks.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
does WCUCOM wants their students to practice in Mississippi or can it be anywhere?
When you apply for jobs, does the school choose or do you?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received the secondary!!! Verified 05/28
@AlteredScale There is only 1 question for this secondary
The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.
In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.
How long is allowed to be??
If I remember right, there wasn't any kind of word limit.How long is allowed to be??
What's the word or character limit?Just received the secondary!!! Verified 05/28
@AlteredScale There is only 1 question for this secondary
The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.
In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.
What's the word or character limit?
I didn't notice any specific word/character limit.
it's a word document you fill out and send via postal mail
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
anyone know when they send out Interviews usually?
Just got the secondary this morning and I'm a MA resident. Going to do some more research on the school before I submit but I was surprised to receive it only a day after being verified and after finding out that they tend to like applicants from the south east. I hate that we have to mail in the secondary 
EDIT: Anyone know how long we have from getting the secondary to submit it?
EDIT: Anyone know how long we have from getting the secondary to submit it?
Last edited:
got a physical piece of mail in the mailbox, got really excited hoping it was an II and since they do everything old school, thought it would be an oldschool II, and it turns out to be the receipt for my 2ndary fee 🙁
LOL I had the same experience except I thought it was a rejection letter [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I've been complete since July 20th. Now I'm just waiting for a possible interview invite.
Hopefully, it comes before school starts, and I don't have to spend too much time traveling during tests.
Hopefully, it comes before school starts, and I don't have to spend too much time traveling during tests.
Stats?Just got the secondary this morning and I'm a MA resident. Going to do some more research on the school before I submit but I was surprised to receive it only a day after being verified and after finding out that they tend to like applicants from the south east. I hate that we have to mail in the secondary
EDIT: Anyone know how long we have from getting the secondary to submit it?
3.5/3.4/501Stats?
I wonder what their stats is for this recent cycle with the new mcat and all.
Not sure, I also heard they like service and I have a very service heavy background so that could be why I got a secondary since I know my stats aren't anything special and I'm not in their region.I wonder what their stats is for this recent cycle with the new mcat and all.
Haven't paid for a stamp in a couple years...but just submitted my snail mail!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mean your personal statement? That's under the supporting information section.Hey can someone help me out here. Where can I find the essay prompt on aacomas application? I am not able to locate it. Thanks
If you mean the essays for WCU secondary then that's not on AACOMAS. You have to submit your AACOMAS application to all the schools you want to apply to, wait for verification, then (assuming you submitted it to WCU) if you pass their screening they will send you a secondary application through email which you will have to print out and mail to them.
So I mailed in my secondary a little over a week ago and haven't gotten a confirmation. I don't exactly trust snail mail all that much so just wondering does it take a while to get a confirmation of received secondary?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
So I mailed in my secondary a little over a week ago and haven't gotten a confirmation. I don't exactly trust snail mail all that much so just wondering does it take a while to get a confirmation of received secondary?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sometimes the only confirmation you get is a receipt in the mail after your check clears. You can always call
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sometimes the only confirmation you get is a receipt in the mail after your check clears. You can always call
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you, will do!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Primary 7/14
Secondary submitted 7/28
II 8/15 (Sept 26)
Secondary submitted 7/28
II 8/15 (Sept 26)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 297
- Views
- 49K
- Replies
- 482
- Views
- 95K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 139K
- Replies
- 200
- Views
- 58K
- Replies
- 502
- Views
- 131K