William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2107

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for the academic honour sections do research awards count and best poster awards?

Members don't see this ad.

Dont worry still early and remember Carey only sends out secondaries to those it is very very interested in interviewing. If you submitted your primary and its been more than a month, you may have been screened out but it could be an error or they are holding your app for later. If you are concerned call them if youworry that maybe your stats maybe holding you out and would like to discuss it send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Where are you getting the information that WCU-COM sends secondaries only to those it is very interested in interviewing? If that's true its promising!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you getting the information that WCU-COM sends secondaries only to those it is very interested in interviewing? If that's true its promising!

Im a current second year and when i applied we were openly told. " We only send secondaries to those we wish to interview " Policy still the same.

Reactions: 1 users
when it says "list all ec , volunteer and vocational activities you participated in while in college, include dates"

can I just list the ones from the aacomas app and include the dates or are they also looking for a description?

when it says "list all ec , volunteer and vocational activities you participated in while in college, include dates"

can I just list the ones from the aacomas app and include the dates or are they also looking for a description?

Rule of thumb is what you put in your primary is what goes into secondaries. List means to just write down the title of the activity and a date. A small 3 to 5 word description only if it seems confusing.
Carey will get the details during the interview

Reactions: 1 user
Can you go ahead and Mail the secondary without submitting letters of recommendation through AACOMAS? My letters won't be in till August...

Can you go ahead and Mail the secondary without submitting letters of recommendation through AACOMAS? My letters won't be in till August...

Sure and you should. Pay the secondary fee and get as much done as you can. They wont mark you complete until those letters are in. When your letters are acknowledged on aacomas call every school you applied to and ask if they have them. August is a good month to be complete.

Sure and you should. Pay the secondary fee and get as much done as you can. They wont mark you complete until those letters are in. When your letters are acknowledged on aacomas call every school you applied to and ask if they have them. August is a good month to be complete.

Thanks! And I am a reapp this cycle so I am really anxious about getting in this time around...

Im a current second year and when i applied we were openly told. " We only send secondaries to those we wish to interview " Policy still the same.

This is excellent, thanks for the info!

Also, did anyone else add all of their recommenders in the space to fill in for LORs? They only give an option for a physician, science faculty, and premed advisor. (I have 2 physicians, 3 faculty and an advisor.)

This is excellent, thanks for the info!

Also, did anyone else add all of their recommenders in the space to fill in for LORs? They only give an option for a physician, science faculty, and premed advisor. (I have 2 physicians, 3 faculty and an advisor.)
I just added the ones that the app requested, so 1 physician, and either 1 pre-med and 1 faculty, or 2 faculty and 1 physician

@WorldChanger36 How long should I wait before contacting admissions about not receiving a secondary? My application was complete 6/21.

@WorldChanger36 How long should I wait before contacting admissions about not receiving a secondary? My application was complete 6/21.

You mean your primary was recognized on 6/21. You are not complete at a school until primary is in, secondary is in, letters and requests are in, scores are in, fees are paid and the school says " Your app in now complete and under review."

When should you contact a school about a secondary? Most school are not competitive about who they send secondaries to, Carey is. In other words they screen hard. In would wait 2 months before calling and asking about your app and a few other questions ( try not to just ask about your status). If nothing happens after that i think you are just beat. Send me a pm with your stats and i would be happy to talk more about this with you

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a word limit on their secondary essay?

Is there a word limit on their secondary essay?

Now i am not sure if this has changed or not but i am pretty sure the limit is the annoyance level of the reader and or however much paper you can attach. Whatever happens first.
Pro tip: shorter is better just make sure it says what it needs to say

What is the most current average gpa/mcat for wcu?
Touro-Ca: 3.50/3.45/30.8 (2015) 65.8
CCOM: 3.59/3.53/29.4 (2015) 65.5
MSU: 3.64/3.6/29 (2015) 65.4
DMU: 3.65/3.61/28.8 (2015) 65.3
AZCOM: 3.51/3.44/30 65.1
RVU: 3.63/?/28.5 (2015) 64.8
UNTHSC-TCOM: 3.67/3.57/28 (2015) 64.7
KCUMB: 3.67/3.62/27.8 64.5
NYIT: 3.6/28 64.4
RowanSOM: 3.54/3.48/29 64.4
Western: 3.58/3.56/28 63.8
LECOM-B: 3.53/3.45/28
Touro-NV: 3.5/3.4/28
NSU: 3.49/3.40/28 (2013)
Marian: 3.62/3.56/27.53 (2015)
OU-HCOM: 3.65/3.58/27.37 63.9
COMP-NW: 3.55/3.5/28 63.5
OSU-COM: 3.6/3.6/27 63.0
UNECOM: 3.5/27 62.0
PNWU: 3.46/3.37/27.29 (2015) 61.9
PCOM-Ga: 3.4/3.5/27 61.0
CUSOM: 3.6/3.5/27
KCOM: 3.46/3.34/27
PCOM: 3.5/3.5/27
LECOM-E/SH: 3.48/3.35/27 (2013)
SOMA: 3.39/3.34/26.04 59.9
WCU: 3.5/3.4/502 = 26 (2016) 61
ACOM: 3.5/3.3/26 (2015) 61
VCOM (all): 3.6/3.5/25.36 61.4
BCOM: 3.5/?/25 60.0
KYCOM: 3.50/3.41/24.6 59.6
LMU: 3.43/3.35/25-26 ~59
WVSOM: 3.4/3.36/25 59.0
LUCOM: 3.4/24 58

Touro-NY ?? (I believe similar to Touro-CA)

Reactions: 2 users
Whe
Touro-Ca: 3.50/3.45/30.8 (2015) 65.8
CCOM: 3.59/3.53/29.4 (2015) 65.5
MSU: 3.64/3.6/29 (2015) 65.4
DMU: 3.65/3.61/28.8 (2015) 65.3
AZCOM: 3.51/3.44/30 65.1
RVU: 3.63/?/28.5 (2015) 64.8
UNTHSC-TCOM: 3.67/3.57/28 (2015) 64.7
KCUMB: 3.67/3.62/27.8 64.5
NYIT: 3.6/28 64.4
RowanSOM: 3.54/3.48/29 64.4
Western: 3.58/3.56/28 63.8
LECOM-B: 3.53/3.45/28
Touro-NV: 3.5/3.4/28
NSU: 3.49/3.40/28 (2013)
Marian: 3.62/3.56/27.53 (2015)
OU-HCOM: 3.65/3.58/27.37 63.9
COMP-NW: 3.55/3.5/28 63.5
OSU-COM: 3.6/3.6/27 63.0
UNECOM: 3.5/27 62.0
PNWU: 3.46/3.37/27.29 (2015) 61.9
PCOM-Ga: 3.4/3.5/27 61.0
CUSOM: 3.6/3.5/27
KCOM: 3.46/3.34/27
PCOM: 3.5/3.5/27
LECOM-E/SH: 3.48/3.35/27 (2013)
SOMA: 3.39/3.34/26.04 59.9
WCU: 3.5/3.4/502 = 26 (2016) 61
ACOM: 3.5/3.3/26 (2015) 61
VCOM (all): 3.6/3.5/25.36 61.4
BCOM: 3.5/?/25 60.0
KYCOM: 3.50/3.41/24.6 59.6
LMU: 3.43/3.35/25-26 ~59
WVSOM: 3.4/3.36/25 59.0
LUCOM: 3.4/24 58

Touro-NY ?? (I believe similar to Touro-CA)

If I mailed my secondary about 2 weeks ago and did not receive a "complete" email then should I call?

If I mailed my secondary about 2 weeks ago and did not receive a "complete" email then should I call?

I never got a complete email from them. I just emailed asking if my app was complete and they said yes.

Does anybody know if interviews can be offered if you have an "in progress" course and that transcript (not from home institution) is not received because the course is still in progress? Thank you!

Does anybody know if interviews can be offered if you have an "in progress" course and that transcript (not from home institution) is not received because the course is still in progress? Thank you!

Depends. If the course is a prereq maybe, if not sure you can. Adcoms will just want to verify your attendance.

Depends. If the course is a prereq maybe, if not sure you can. Adcoms will just want to verify your attendance.

Thats weird because I am taking genetics and am pretty sure genetics is not a pre-req but when I called they said they are waiting to receieve this transcript and cannot offer an interview until it comes in. Maybe I will call tmrw and seek clarification, because I also got an email saying my file is complete...

Thats weird because I am taking genetics and am pretty sure genetics is not a pre-req but when I called they said they are waiting to receieve this transcript and cannot offer an interview until it comes in. Maybe I will call tmrw and seek clarification, because I also got an email saying my file is complete...

Genetics is a prereq. What they want is grades really. So if your grades are strong order the transcript and have it sent over as soon as possible. Is it a summer course?

Genetics is a prereq. What they want is grades really. So if your grades are strong order the transcript and have it sent over as soon as possible. Is it a summer course?

I went on the WCU website but didnt see genetics listed as a pre-req for admission, am I looking in the wrong place? Asking b/c I already submitted my secondary but have no intention of taking genetics during this coming application year

grades are strong and for this genetic course right now the grades are look good. I have the final exam this week but transcript procesing and exam marking will take at least 2-3 weeks. I didn't know genetics was a prereq...never saw it online :( thanks so much!

grades are strong and for this genetic course right now the grades are look good. I have the final exam this week but transcript procesing and exam marking will take at least 2-3 weeks. I didn't know genetics was a prereq...never saw it online :( thanks so much!
Because you started the course they will treat it like every other school... As a prereq. Once you finish and send in the grades you will be fine.

I went on the WCU website but didnt see genetics listed as a pre-req for admission, am I looking in the wrong place? Asking b/c I already submitted my secondary but have no intention of taking genetics during this coming application year

Its one of those unwritten prereqs as most medical schools require it and the majority of your competition has it. If you dont have it and dont want it dont take it. It wont hold you out here unless you have a weaker sciGPA then a strong grade will help you.

So it is a prereq in the broad medical school sense but not exactly in a William Carey specific sense but having it is helpful if and only if you do well in it.
I hope i didnt confuse you guys too bad.

Because you started the course they will treat it like every other school... As a prereq. Once you finish and send in the grades you will be fine.

Its one of those unwritten prereqs as most medical schools require it and the majority of your competition has it. If you dont have it and dont want it dont take it. It wont hold you out here unless you have a weaker sciGPA then a strong grade will help you.

So it is a prereq in the broad medical school sense but not exactly in a William Carey specific sense but having it is helpful if and only if you do well in it.
I hope i didnt confuse you guys too bad.

This is an important clarification, as genetics is NOT a required pre-requisite course for WCU-COM.
As per AACOMAS, and their website, 12 hours of biology is required. Will genetics help? Sure. Will an upper level biochemistry course help? Sure. Any upper level coursework will help, but one may apply without genetics in their course transcript.

How is the material that needs to be learned presented to students? Is it all powerpoint? Is WCU pass/fail?

1) powerpoint lectures and huge textbooks just like undergrad
2) 99 percent of everything from faculty is powerpoint
3) no you have grades and class ranks.

Just received the secondary!!! Verified 05/28

@AlteredScale There is only 1 question for this secondary

The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.

In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.

How long is allowed to be??

Just received the secondary!!! Verified 05/28

@AlteredScale There is only 1 question for this secondary

The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.

In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.
What's the word or character limit?

anyone know when they send out Interviews usually?

Just got the secondary this morning and I'm a MA resident. Going to do some more research on the school before I submit but I was surprised to receive it only a day after being verified and after finding out that they tend to like applicants from the south east. I hate that we have to mail in the secondary :dead:

EDIT: Anyone know how long we have from getting the secondary to submit it?

Last edited:
got a physical piece of mail in the mailbox, got really excited hoping it was an II and since they do everything old school, thought it would be an oldschool II, and it turns out to be the receipt for my 2ndary fee :(

got a physical piece of mail in the mailbox, got really excited hoping it was an II and since they do everything old school, thought it would be an oldschool II, and it turns out to be the receipt for my 2ndary fee :(

LOL I had the same experience except I thought it was a rejection letter

I've been complete since July 20th. Now I'm just waiting for a possible interview invite.

Hopefully, it comes before school starts, and I don't have to spend too much time traveling during tests.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the secondary this morning and I'm a MA resident. Going to do some more research on the school before I submit but I was surprised to receive it only a day after being verified and after finding out that they tend to like applicants from the south east. I hate that we have to mail in the secondary :dead:

EDIT: Anyone know how long we have from getting the secondary to submit it?
Stats?

I wonder what their stats is for this recent cycle with the new mcat and all.

I wonder what their stats is for this recent cycle with the new mcat and all.
Not sure, I also heard they like service and I have a very service heavy background so that could be why I got a secondary since I know my stats aren't anything special and I'm not in their region.

Haven't paid for a stamp in a couple years...but just submitted my snail mail!

Hey can someone help me out here. Where can I find the essay prompt on aacomas application? I am not able to locate it. Thanks

Hey can someone help me out here. Where can I find the essay prompt on aacomas application? I am not able to locate it. Thanks
Do you mean your personal statement? That's under the supporting information section.
If you mean the essays for WCU secondary then that's not on AACOMAS. You have to submit your AACOMAS application to all the schools you want to apply to, wait for verification, then (assuming you submitted it to WCU) if you pass their screening they will send you a secondary application through email which you will have to print out and mail to them.

So I mailed in my secondary a little over a week ago and haven't gotten a confirmation. I don't exactly trust snail mail all that much so just wondering does it take a while to get a confirmation of received secondary?

So I mailed in my secondary a little over a week ago and haven't gotten a confirmation. I don't exactly trust snail mail all that much so just wondering does it take a while to get a confirmation of received secondary?

Sometimes the only confirmation you get is a receipt in the mail after your check clears. You can always call

Primary 7/14
Secondary submitted 7/28
II 8/15 (Sept 26)