You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2107
Started by AlteredScale
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi. DI'd you do their post bacc program and what r the chances of getting in. Do they accept a lot of non traditional students.I got accepted two years ago without a DO letter, as did others in my class.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulation !!!I just received my acceptance! So exited!!
I just declined an II from this school as I've already committed elsewhere. Hope is goes to one of you. Is it normal to be receiving interviews this late? I think it's maybe because of the tornado damage the school had undergone?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I just declined an II from this school as I've already committed elsewhere. Hope is goes to one of you. Is it normal to be receiving interviews this late? I think it's maybe because of the tornado damage the school had undergone?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's possible but I've heard on numerous occasions that they like to interview slowly and few people at a time. They accept same amount of people at the beginning of the cycle as at the end of the cycle. I've also heard that they interview up until mid/late May.
If you don't mind my asking, what date was your interview going to be on? Thanks!
Im not too sure as I didn't actually schedule the interview since I've already committed to another school. Good luck.It's possible but I've heard on numerous occasions that they like to interview slowly and few people at a time. They accept same amount of people at the beginning of the cycle as at the end of the cycle. I've also heard that they interview up until mid/late May.
If you don't mind my asking, what date was your interview going to be on? Thanks!
Looks like theyre still rolling out the IIs! Turned mine down, hope it goes to one of y'all waiting!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Did you receive it by email or phone call? I got a random call from Ms. Davidson yesterday, but I was in the library until the crack of dawn, so I never saw it (terrible reception in there!)
Yup, phone call!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I just received a phone call from Ms. Davidson. I just received an II!!!! Woooooooo.
May 22nd 😀
SO EXCITED!
Congrats and best of luck at your interview!!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted244469
Thank you so much! Keep your fingers crossed for me 🙂
Thank you so much! Keep your fingers crossed for me 🙂
Seriously rooting for you!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Should I bring my resume? I think I read somewhere that they will have my resume and application in front of them when they interview (not sure tho) but just wanted to make sure. I've been reading around on SDN and ppl have been saying to bring a resume in a leather portfolio for interviews to med school. They say it looks professional and I know WCU is all about professionalism. Thanks for any help!
I wouldn't bring your resume. When I interviewed they had my file. You could bring a portfolio with questions you intend to ask the interviewers tho that always looks good.Should I bring my resume? I think I read somewhere that they will have my resume and application in front of them when they interview (not sure tho) but just wanted to make sure. I've been reading around on SDN and ppl have been saying to bring a resume in a leather portfolio for interviews to med school. They say it looks professional and I know WCU is all about professionalism. Thanks for any help!
Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile
Should I bring my resume? I think I read somewhere that they will have my resume and application in front of them when they interview (not sure tho) but just wanted to make sure. I've been reading around on SDN and ppl have been saying to bring a resume in a leather portfolio for interviews to med school. They say it looks professional and I know WCU is all about professionalism. Thanks for any help!
Don't bring a resume. Your app was your resume.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't bring your resume. When I interviewed they had my file. You could bring a portfolio with questions you intend to ask the interviewers tho that always looks good.
Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile
Thank you! Any other advice? I interview next week and am getting really nervous 🙁
Be yourself know why DO and be ready to answer some ethical questions and you should be good.Thank you! Any other advice? I interview next week and am getting really nervous 🙁
Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile
Thank you! Any other advice? I interview next week and am getting really nervous 🙁
Relax! Prepare for the common interview questions, and just take a deep breath. Good luck!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Relax! Prepare for the common interview questions, and just take a deep breath. Good luck!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Be yourself know why DO and be ready to answer some ethical questions and you should be good.
Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile
Thank you, both!
Last edited:
Congratulation and Best Luck for the interview !!!Thank you so much! Keep your fingers crossed for me 🙂
Best Wishes!!!!Thank you! Any other advice? I interview next week and am getting really nervous 🙁
D
deleted244469
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words!Congratulation and Best Luck for the interview !!!
D
deleted244469
For current students, how much emphasis does WCU-COM put on OMM?
For current students, how much emphasis does WCU-COM put on OMM?
In OPP class a lot. Outside of that not much. Its not an easy class ( like at some other schools). Not sure what you are looking for ...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted244469
That's what I was looking for. Thank you.In OPP class a lot. Outside of that not much. Its not an easy class ( like at some other schools). Not sure what you are looking for ...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Accepted today!
So, I just received a secondary to this school today. Do they honestly still have seats available? I find it odd that they sent me one this late.
Same here haha. There's no way they still have seats. Must be for waitlist spots maybe
People that took other offers. It always happens late in the game. You better take advantage of the opportunity!Same here haha. There's no way they still have seats. Must be for waitlist spots maybe
Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile
Same here haha. There's no way they still have seats. Must be for waitlist spots maybe
I just got a secondary too. It's kinda weird but time to take full advantage of it ♀️
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I just received a secondary to this school today. Do they honestly still have seats available? I find it odd that they sent me one this late.
Yes they do still have seats. Filling the class has been difficult this round.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted244469
Do you think that is it due to the tornado?Yes they do still have seats. Filling the class has been difficult this round.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Do you think that is it due to the tornado?
There are many theories about it.
DO overall is becoming less of a good option due to the effects of the merger, which will get worse over time.
New schools are scooping up quite a few people.
Carey has a bad reputation.
Post tornado interviews are just not impressive. Way less locals applied to Carey.
Many of the applicants really didnt have what it takes post interview.
The masters class performance was worse than it was years before.
Careys standards have increased but applicants have not gotten better.
Current students tell interviewees to avoid the school.
The school is still not very well known and really doesnt strongly consider those not in the gulf south.
I mean you interviewed here pretty recently right? What were your feelings about things?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Well, at the end of the day, a doctor is a doctor no matter what U.S school you go to. I've learned to not be picky at this point. At the end of the day, it all falls on yourself for how much work you're willing to put in. I'll submit the secondary and hope for the best. This is basically an unexpected blessing to me.
Well, at the end of the day, a doctor is a doctor no matter what U.S school you go to. I've learned to not be picky at this point. At the end of the day, it all falls on yourself for how much work you're willing to put in. I'll submit the secondary and hope for the best. This is basically an unexpected blessing to me.
While the school you get into beats any school you didnt you have to keep in mind most dont wanna just be a doctor they want to be a specific specialty. Some schools open way more doors than others.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted244469
There are many theories about it.
DO overall is becoming less of a good option due to the effects of the merger, which will get worse over time.
New schools are scooping up quite a few people.
Carey has a bad reputation.
Post tornado interviews are just not impressive. Way less locals applied to Carey.
Many of the applicants really didnt have what it takes post interview.
The masters class performance was worse than it was years before.
Careys standards have increased but applicants have not gotten better.
Current students tell interviewees to avoid the school.
The school is still not very well known and really doesnt strongly consider those not in the gulf south.
I mean you interviewed here pretty recently right? What were your feelings about things?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That makes sense. Good insight. I actually don't interview until Monday, so I will express my thoughts then.
Please let me know as well. Just in case I'm granted and II.That makes sense. Good insight. I actually don't interview until Monday, so I will express my thoughts then.
What do you mean when you say bad reputation? Do people not pass boards or something?There are many theories about it.
DO overall is becoming less of a good option due to the effects of the merger, which will get worse over time.
New schools are scooping up quite a few people.
Carey has a bad reputation.
Post tornado interviews are just not impressive. Way less locals applied to Carey.
Many of the applicants really didnt have what it takes post interview.
The masters class performance was worse than it was years before.
Careys standards have increased but applicants have not gotten better.
Current students tell interviewees to avoid the school.
The school is still not very well known and really doesnt strongly consider those not in the gulf south.
I mean you interviewed here pretty recently right? What were your feelings about things?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile
D
deleted244469
Read through this thread and you will find your answer.What do you mean when you say bad reputation? Do people not pass boards or something?
Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile
While what you're saying is true, I can't fathom someone turning down a medical schoool acceptance just because they might have to work a bit harder to get the specialty they want. Just getting accepted somewhere is a great opportunity. It's just what you make of it.While the school you get into beats any school you didnt you have to keep in mind most dont wanna just be a doctor they want to be a specific specialty. Some schools open way more doors than others.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Well Said!While what you're saying is true, I can't fathom someone turning down a medical schoool acceptance just because they might have to work a bit harder to get the specialty they want. Just getting accepted somewhere is a great opportunity. It's just what you make of it.
First, I don't agree on the idea that DOs will be less of good option in the future by the merger although many MDs will agree on.What do you mean when you say bad reputation? Do people not pass boards or something?
Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile
It is still premature to state that, in my personal opinion.
Secondly, MDs may have good opportunities to work closer with DOs and see how good DOs do.
It will all depend on current and future DOs.
Let's be optimistic and do our best!
I will !
Right because it is on the individual to study for the COMPLEX and STEP exams. It's possible to crush them both and maximize success. Seems stressful from what my friends in DO programs are telling me, but it's been done before so we all can do it with enough effort.While what you're saying is true, I can't fathom someone turning down a medical schoool acceptance just because they might have to work a bit harder to get the specialty they want. Just getting accepted somewhere is a great opportunity. It's just what you make of it.
Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile
Yeah I kinda see the merger as a good thing. Both will start to be seen more equally. Competitiveness will rise but it's all apart if the grind.First, I don't agree with the idea that DOs will be less of good option in the future by the merger although many MDs will agree on.
It is still premature to state that, in my personal opinion.
Secondly, MDs may have good opportunities to work closer with DOs and see how good DOs do.
It will all depend on current and future DOs.
Let's be optimistic and do our best!
I will !
Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile
A-C-C-E-P-T-E-D
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
It's over!!!!!!!!! I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!!!!![]()
Congratulation!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that I can scream that we made itCongratulation!
D
deleted244469
Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? I remember Dr. Weir mentioning it at the interview, but my mind was somewhere else as he was speaking about it.......Lol.
Thank you so much!!!!!
Congratulation!
Thank you so much!!!!!
Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? I remember Dr. Weir mentioning it at the interview, but my mind was somewhere else as he was speaking about it.......Lol.
Thank you so much!!!!!
Congrats man, I hope youre still this enthusiastic in November when dinglebarry is teaching you respiratory phys.
The white coat ceremony for us was originally August 6 then they rescheduled it for August 13 before our first major exam. Yes, test scheduling is absolutely ******ed at wcucom and there are multiple times when major tests are on back to back days or on the same freaking day! I suggest asking someone on the welcoming commitee if theres a firm date for the white coat ceremony.
An update on post-tornado recovery from a senior faculty member here.
Move-back to the Carey campus will be initiated in action as of May 1st, with actual faculty and staff return scheduled for June 12-15th as explained officially this morning to us by Dean Turner.
To me? Simply an astounding recovery schedule. Our incoming class of 2021 will be essentially totally unaffected by the facilities devastation of the storm.
Think, please, about this for you students currently mulling over an acceptance offer, OR for those of you thinking in advance about applying for the class of 2022. Resilience, commitment to student education, adaptation, and a family sense of "stick together", "work together", "trust in effort", and "therefore succeed". These attributes are very much in evidence here at Carey.[/QUOTE]
Ladies and gentlemen, meet "professor professionalism". Please visit his post history to see him attack students in previous years threads. And also read how he quit SDN because he found out he couldnt intimidate students over the internet.
Dont lie to yourself or any of the applicants [Mod edited out personal information]. You know you'll be talking to them like pieces of **** starting with orientation and ending sometime in January if theyre lucky. I dont talk to my dogs that way and Id never disrespect my "family" like that.
Last edited by a moderator:
Things are looking bad for wcucom and thats how it should be imo. Theres still has ~30 seats left and we are less than 2 months from orientation. I hope the tornado and my words inspired yall to look elsewhere. Ive talked to most every interview group I saw and I made it clear what was going on at wcucom. Im glad so many ppl listened. This school is still the worst in the country no matter how you want to measure it. I will post a full year-end review in a few days but I can tell you now to avoid this school at all costs. Theres 3 new DO schools opening this year and all of them will have better board scores and residency placements than than wcucom c/o 2021.
Its not because yall are dumb because lots of other DO schools have similar stats for applicants as wcucom (LMU, VCOM, ACOM, etc). The difference is nobody at wcucom will prepare you for success on the boards and theres no mentorship outside of your peers. A lot of applicants asked me about boards and I was very honest. Wcucom would rather not publish board scores because theyre so bad but they have to for accreditation. The most recent class had a 83% pass rate on comlex level 1 (no other school is below 90% and keep in mind its not the students because other programs let in applicants with the same MCAT/GPA as wcucom but they do much better). Wcucom wont even publish usmle because its so bad but Im guessing a 50-60% pass rate. As for mentorship, a fourth year told us to not expect help from the school when we are applying for competitive residencies. In fact his class was actively discouraged by the dean in charge of board prep to NOT take USMLE! I dont know how you can justify that to anyone who is thinking outside of primary care (that particular student matched EM at a MD program despite wcucom's best efforts to drag him down).
Before I forget, let me mention residency placements. Basically, its primary care or bust for teh vast majority of wcucom grads. Less than 80% of students matched before the scramble (thats counting AOA, NRMP, mil match) while other schools regularly match 90% and above. Again, these schools have students with the same stats as yall going in so dont doubt your mental abilities, its wcucom thats let you down. Of the students who matched, most got IM or FM slots at unknown locations (wcucom wont say because theyre crappy programs). Out of 93 graduates (wcucom classes start with 110 btw so thats the highest attrition rate by far at an American medical school), we had OB-5, EM-9 (theres hope for me), General Surgery-2, Ortho-1, Radiology–4, Anesthesiology–2, Neuro-1. The rest of the match was a depressing list of IM, FM, OMM, Peds, Psych, and TRI matches.
I hope that helps.
Its not because yall are dumb because lots of other DO schools have similar stats for applicants as wcucom (LMU, VCOM, ACOM, etc). The difference is nobody at wcucom will prepare you for success on the boards and theres no mentorship outside of your peers. A lot of applicants asked me about boards and I was very honest. Wcucom would rather not publish board scores because theyre so bad but they have to for accreditation. The most recent class had a 83% pass rate on comlex level 1 (no other school is below 90% and keep in mind its not the students because other programs let in applicants with the same MCAT/GPA as wcucom but they do much better). Wcucom wont even publish usmle because its so bad but Im guessing a 50-60% pass rate. As for mentorship, a fourth year told us to not expect help from the school when we are applying for competitive residencies. In fact his class was actively discouraged by the dean in charge of board prep to NOT take USMLE! I dont know how you can justify that to anyone who is thinking outside of primary care (that particular student matched EM at a MD program despite wcucom's best efforts to drag him down).
Before I forget, let me mention residency placements. Basically, its primary care or bust for teh vast majority of wcucom grads. Less than 80% of students matched before the scramble (thats counting AOA, NRMP, mil match) while other schools regularly match 90% and above. Again, these schools have students with the same stats as yall going in so dont doubt your mental abilities, its wcucom thats let you down. Of the students who matched, most got IM or FM slots at unknown locations (wcucom wont say because theyre crappy programs). Out of 93 graduates (wcucom classes start with 110 btw so thats the highest attrition rate by far at an American medical school), we had OB-5, EM-9 (theres hope for me), General Surgery-2, Ortho-1, Radiology–4, Anesthesiology–2, Neuro-1. The rest of the match was a depressing list of IM, FM, OMM, Peds, Psych, and TRI matches.
I hope that helps.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 297
- Views
- 49K
- Replies
- 482
- Views
- 95K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 139K
- Replies
- 200
- Views
- 58K
- Replies
- 502
- Views
- 131K

