-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!
Started by Annamalita
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I know a few of the other schools I applied to have this magic date of 2/15 when we should be hearing back "on or around." Perhaps since Wisconsin had us submit our supplementals so relatively late, our responses may be on the later side as well...? No clue, just a thought! 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope its soon. All this waiting is killing me!!!
Let's hope this Friday the 13th is a lucky one! 

I called and was told they took down the supplemental page because they're in the final stages. We could start seeing people get phone calls any day now. Good luck everyone!
Thanks for calling! Did they say they were calling today?
I had called a few days back to ask about that and they made it pretty clear that they won't give out a date for when they'll start phone calls and/or mail out letters. Maybe someone else could try calling today in case they're feeling more generous. 🙂Thanks for calling! Did they say they were calling today?
I just called today because I hadn't confirmed if they got my fall transcripts and figured I'd ask about the portal.
I really thought today would be the day for some lucky people. :C
In the past they've called as late as 9pm Wisconsin time!
This alone made me think you got a phone call. The disappointment from reading the rest of your post is immeasurable. :CAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Haha! Sorry to freak you out unnecessarily. Not in your guys' place this year THANK GOD 🙂OMG, hpequalslove, you nearly gave me a heart attack. I thought you were an applicant this year and had just gotten called today...then I saw that you're a current student. Whew!![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm pretty sure they're closed tomorrow since it's President's Day . . . :C*praying that tomorrow will be the day*
Looks like the university should be open? http://www.secfac.wisc.edu/acadcal/ChooseSemester.asp
i can't ride this roller coaster of emotion
Phone calls (hopefully) will be though!But mail won't be going out tomorrow!
Good luck everyone! I am IS and received my letter last year on February 18th. I was living about 2 hours north of Madison though.
I was sure we'd all know by the end of this week 🙁
Yeah, me too... I'm kind of upset now.. 🙁I was sure we'd all know by the end of this week 🙁
I wouldn't lose hope! She may just have been being vague because she was sick of students calling lol they never seem to really have a straightforward answer so we might still hear this week. I was more confused by the fact that she 'didn't know' whether or not they're doing phone calls this year...isn't that something they should know...?I was sure we'd all know by the end of this week 🙁
Little do we poor vet school applicants know, this is all part of the first test of vet school... 😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I thought I'd let you know that I heard an admissions person say decisions are going out this Thursday or Friday. Phone calls traditionally happen earlier, but she didn't say anything about that.
Also, I haven't been active here lately, but if anyone has any questions for me as you try to make your decisions, let me know!
Also, I haven't been active here lately, but if anyone has any questions for me as you try to make your decisions, let me know!
Hey guys! I thought I'd let you know that I heard an admissions person say decisions are going out this Thursday or Friday. Phone calls traditionally happen earlier, but she didn't say anything about that.
Also, I haven't been active here lately, but if anyone has any questions for me as you try to make your decisions, let me know!
If you wouldn't mind posting things you like and dislike about the school and the program, I would appreciate it!
Oh my goodness, just got a phone call from a nice man from admissions! Accepted! I am so surprised, I was not expecting to hear this evening at all ... as a matter of fact, I was not expecting a yes from Wisconsin at all! I hope you guys have heard/ are hearing soon!
Yes coolcat... motivation to study = nonexistent right now.
Ok, likes and dislikes. One of the major reasons I decided to come here is that the administration seems deeply committed to helping its students. When I got my acceptance packet to Wisconsin, it included a 4 page list of names and emails/phone numbers for people who volunteered to be resources for a number of "atypical" situations: humanities background, buying a house, LGBTU, etc. In contrast, another school I was accepted to sent me a form that I had to sign that allowed them to run a background check for a criminal record. Anyway, that commitment to the students has continued to be my experience here. Everyone (and I mean everyone... office staff, faculty, course aides, etc) has a packet with first year photos and names, and by the end of the first month they all know your name. My grandmother passed away recently, and I missed about 5 days of classes. Not only was everyone really accommodating to help me make up missed work (one of our anatomy professors stayed late on a Friday to walk me through a lab that I missed), but I was also surprised to find a condolence card signed by about 30 staff in my mailbox when I got back. Also, so far the teaching faculty has been excellent. Sure, everyone has their preferred teaching/learning styles, but we have it really good compared to some of the classes I took on the road to vet school. We also have small classes (usually 87) which I think contributes to the small community feel. The dean holds monthly mixer for faculty/staff/students in the lobby/lounge area with free beer and wine.
I admit that the other reason I chose to come here was financial; as an out of state student from a state with no vet school (ish), the tuition and the low cost of living made Wisconsin one of my top choices. (Just a warning to those of you not following Wisconsin state politics-- that might change, and as early as your class year). Going along with cost, so far we have only had one required textbook. All of the other classes have written chapter-form notes and/or detailed powerpoints for you to study from. All our classes (so far) have also been recorded (screen projection + audio), which can become really important if you have to miss class like I did.
Finally, I think the school has been working hard to design a more well-rounded curriculum. In addition to our traditional classes, we get animal handling and physical exam classes for both large and small animals in our first year (it's pretty awesome spending one afternoon a week in a barn with horses...), a communication class (that lasts all 3 years), an ethics class (also lasts all 3 years), time requirements at the teaching hospital, and a number of electives with hands-on experiences (emergency and critical care, for example, requires a certain number of hours on-call at the teaching hospital). Every class also has these case based "clinical correlations" that help ground what you're learning to actual medicine. This is great because first year is basically focused on normal physiology/biochem/etc. and at times it's hard to see the forest for the trees.
In terms of dislikes-- the teaching hospital is definitely outdated. It still has all the diagnostic tools/fancy machines, but things would definitely go more smoothly with more exam rooms, offices, and a bigger lobby. If you're into horses, there's a new equine emergency/surgery center about an hour south of here, but I haven't been there personally. Also, it hasn't snowed that much here. I should have gone to Tufts outside of Boston. Just kidding! I know that some of the elective classes have filled up pretty quickly, as have many of the extracurricular club-sponsored activities. There were some weekend things I wanted to do that I missed out on because I didn't sign up in the first 10 minutes (but I learned my lesson!). My final dislike is that it looks like our tuition is going to increase drastically (due to budget cuts and other things), so I would warn you all to take that into account when you consider Wisconsin. It sounds like we won't know for sure what's going to happen until after April, though.
Ok, I'm obviously super long-winded, so I will stop now. 🙂
Ok, likes and dislikes. One of the major reasons I decided to come here is that the administration seems deeply committed to helping its students. When I got my acceptance packet to Wisconsin, it included a 4 page list of names and emails/phone numbers for people who volunteered to be resources for a number of "atypical" situations: humanities background, buying a house, LGBTU, etc. In contrast, another school I was accepted to sent me a form that I had to sign that allowed them to run a background check for a criminal record. Anyway, that commitment to the students has continued to be my experience here. Everyone (and I mean everyone... office staff, faculty, course aides, etc) has a packet with first year photos and names, and by the end of the first month they all know your name. My grandmother passed away recently, and I missed about 5 days of classes. Not only was everyone really accommodating to help me make up missed work (one of our anatomy professors stayed late on a Friday to walk me through a lab that I missed), but I was also surprised to find a condolence card signed by about 30 staff in my mailbox when I got back. Also, so far the teaching faculty has been excellent. Sure, everyone has their preferred teaching/learning styles, but we have it really good compared to some of the classes I took on the road to vet school. We also have small classes (usually 87) which I think contributes to the small community feel. The dean holds monthly mixer for faculty/staff/students in the lobby/lounge area with free beer and wine.
I admit that the other reason I chose to come here was financial; as an out of state student from a state with no vet school (ish), the tuition and the low cost of living made Wisconsin one of my top choices. (Just a warning to those of you not following Wisconsin state politics-- that might change, and as early as your class year). Going along with cost, so far we have only had one required textbook. All of the other classes have written chapter-form notes and/or detailed powerpoints for you to study from. All our classes (so far) have also been recorded (screen projection + audio), which can become really important if you have to miss class like I did.
Finally, I think the school has been working hard to design a more well-rounded curriculum. In addition to our traditional classes, we get animal handling and physical exam classes for both large and small animals in our first year (it's pretty awesome spending one afternoon a week in a barn with horses...), a communication class (that lasts all 3 years), an ethics class (also lasts all 3 years), time requirements at the teaching hospital, and a number of electives with hands-on experiences (emergency and critical care, for example, requires a certain number of hours on-call at the teaching hospital). Every class also has these case based "clinical correlations" that help ground what you're learning to actual medicine. This is great because first year is basically focused on normal physiology/biochem/etc. and at times it's hard to see the forest for the trees.
In terms of dislikes-- the teaching hospital is definitely outdated. It still has all the diagnostic tools/fancy machines, but things would definitely go more smoothly with more exam rooms, offices, and a bigger lobby. If you're into horses, there's a new equine emergency/surgery center about an hour south of here, but I haven't been there personally. Also, it hasn't snowed that much here. I should have gone to Tufts outside of Boston. Just kidding! I know that some of the elective classes have filled up pretty quickly, as have many of the extracurricular club-sponsored activities. There were some weekend things I wanted to do that I missed out on because I didn't sign up in the first 10 minutes (but I learned my lesson!). My final dislike is that it looks like our tuition is going to increase drastically (due to budget cuts and other things), so I would warn you all to take that into account when you consider Wisconsin. It sounds like we won't know for sure what's going to happen until after April, though.
Ok, I'm obviously super long-winded, so I will stop now. 🙂
Congrats! 🙂 Where are you from? OOS I assume?Oh my goodness, just got a phone call from a nice man from admissions! Accepted! I am so surprised, I was not expecting to hear this evening at all ... as a matter of fact, I was not expecting a yes from Wisconsin at all! I hope you guys have heard/ are hearing soon!
Omg congrats!!!Oh my goodness, just got a phone call from a nice man from admissions! Accepted! I am so surprised, I was not expecting to hear this evening at all ... as a matter of fact, I was not expecting a yes from Wisconsin at all! I hope you guys have heard/ are hearing soon!
Thanks, you guys! I wanted to let you know -- I know how maddening the waiting can be! But, it seems like news is on the way! I'm an OOS applicant from Maine. Ahh, I hope you guys hear really soon!
Do they call over a period of a few days?
From past Wisconsin threads, the answer is yes.Do they call over a period of a few days?
Congratulations! What time did your call come in at? And would you mind sharing any of your stats if you feel comfortable? You must be so excited! Congrats again! 🙂Oh my goodness, just got a phone call from a nice man from admissions! Accepted! I am so surprised, I was not expecting to hear this evening at all ... as a matter of fact, I was not expecting a yes from Wisconsin at all! I hope you guys have heard/ are hearing soon!
No, no, I don't mind at all! I have used this forum so much throughout this process, it really is such a helpful resource -- I think I may have gone crazy if it wasn't for being able to connect with other people experiencing the same things as I have been! Also, we're going to be future classmates, and everyone on here is just working so hard towards such a great dream! I absolutely don't mind helping! 🙂
My call came in at 7:45 pm my time (EST), so at 6:45 pm on Wisconsin's time.
I'm a first-time applicant graduating this May, and I have a 3.87 GPA overall, and about a 3.65/ 3.7 science GPA. I'm actually an English major, with a minor in Pre-Medical Studies! I grew up wanting to be a vet in my gut, but I really loved writing/reading throughout high school, too; in college I noticed how communications skills and health/caretaking interests could strengthen each other -- so I got up the courage to tackle the pre-reqs with my liberal-arts brain and declared my minor; this is what I rambled on about in my personal statement! And on the diversity supplemental essay for Wisconsin, I delved into this further. When the admissions official called me this evening, that was one of the things he mentioned -- he was like: "I'm really intrigued by your background in English and communication!" And I was like: "Um ... squeak!" So, yep ... entirely disproved any "communication skills" I have in that moment because all I could do was, like, make incomprehensible, happy noises into the phone at him.
Experience:
560 veterinary hours at a marine mammal rehabilitation center -- rehabbing harbor seals, hooded seals
350 veterinary hours with a small animal veterinarian at a local clinic
80+ veterinary hours caring for my university's flock of sheep
200 non-vet hours fostering pregnant shelter cats
1200+ non-vet hours caring for family chickens, dogs, cats
Sorry, sorry, if this was long-winded! And I hope this helps. Good luck and I know you'll hear good news soon, fellow vet-med buddies!
My call came in at 7:45 pm my time (EST), so at 6:45 pm on Wisconsin's time.
I'm a first-time applicant graduating this May, and I have a 3.87 GPA overall, and about a 3.65/ 3.7 science GPA. I'm actually an English major, with a minor in Pre-Medical Studies! I grew up wanting to be a vet in my gut, but I really loved writing/reading throughout high school, too; in college I noticed how communications skills and health/caretaking interests could strengthen each other -- so I got up the courage to tackle the pre-reqs with my liberal-arts brain and declared my minor; this is what I rambled on about in my personal statement! And on the diversity supplemental essay for Wisconsin, I delved into this further. When the admissions official called me this evening, that was one of the things he mentioned -- he was like: "I'm really intrigued by your background in English and communication!" And I was like: "Um ... squeak!" So, yep ... entirely disproved any "communication skills" I have in that moment because all I could do was, like, make incomprehensible, happy noises into the phone at him.
Experience:
560 veterinary hours at a marine mammal rehabilitation center -- rehabbing harbor seals, hooded seals
350 veterinary hours with a small animal veterinarian at a local clinic
80+ veterinary hours caring for my university's flock of sheep
200 non-vet hours fostering pregnant shelter cats
1200+ non-vet hours caring for family chickens, dogs, cats
Sorry, sorry, if this was long-winded! And I hope this helps. Good luck and I know you'll hear good news soon, fellow vet-med buddies!
Thank you so much, @LadyDoolittle! That's all super impressive! I see now why you got accepted! 🙂
Oh my goodness, thanks GoldenGirl, but you all are so unique and hard-working -- I think I got really lucky in going to my state's university, where there are a lot of thoughtful professors and serendipitous opportunities! Looking forward to hearing about your good news soon 🙂
I admit that the other reason I chose to come here was financial; as an out of state student from a state with no vet school (ish), the tuition and the low cost of living made Wisconsin one of my top choices. (Just a warning to those of you not following Wisconsin state politics-- that might change, and as early as your class year).
Do you know roughly how much of a tuition hike is being considered?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it follows the same rules as our undergrad system, then there has been a two year tuition freeze set in place. It will go up afterwards (as it would even without the budget cuts), but we really have no way of knowing how much at this point. It is going to suck, but compared to many other OOS tuitions, I am sure WI will still be in the lower bracket. Hope that helps, and I hope this information is correct. Haha. That is how I've had it explained to me. 🙂Do you know roughly how much of a tuition hike is being considered?
Do you know roughly how much of a tuition hike is being considered?
Large. I'm not sure I can discuss specifics right now, but the proposal brings tuition up to the mean for both in state and oos students over the next 4 years. The tuition freeze only applies to undergrads. The dean said that tuition information will be included in acceptance packages. We (current students) are trying to figure out more details.
Well that's not good... 🙁Large. I'm not sure I can discuss specifics right now, but the proposal brings tuition up to the mean for both in state and oos students over the next 4 years. The tuition freeze only applies to undergrads. The dean said that tuition information will be included in acceptance packages. We (current students) are trying to figure out more details.
Everyone watch your phones! Just got out of the shower to find a voicemail from Wisconsin!!!! I am calling back to decline the offer, as I am putting down my deposit to Missouri today, good luck to everyone else! 🙂
Congrats!!Oh my goodness, just got a phone call from a nice man from admissions! Accepted! I am so surprised, I was not expecting to hear this evening at all ... as a matter of fact, I was not expecting a yes from Wisconsin at all! I hope you guys have heard/ are hearing soon!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 621