Wisconsin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey RazorDoc, thanks for replying. I actually called the office and politely asked about the person who called me, and they proceeded to transfer me to this person. It turned out to be the radiologist, Dr. Adams. Thanks anyway. I appreciate the offer :)

I'm definitely attending the information session at the end of the month. Is anyone else in?

Members don't see this ad.

no problem...

in other news, I contacted the residency office at Wisconsin about this getting in-state status after year 1, and they acted like that was impossible. Anyone heard any different?

I'm definitely attending the information session at the end of the month. Is anyone else in?

heck ya! i'll see you there UpstateNY! did they give you the number of the travel agent to call? in all the excitement, I can't remember which random scrap of paper I wrote that on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey k9. The travel agency is called Middleton Travel. Here is the number: 1-800-688-8785.

I'll see you in Madison :)

Julian

no problem...

in other news, I contacted the residency office at Wisconsin about this getting in-state status after year 1, and they acted like that was impossible. Anyone heard any different?

I went to Wisconsin for undergrad and will also be attending vet school there. I have yet to meet anyone who has been granted residency (undergrad, grad, or otherwise)... or even tried. I just don't think it is a possibility. Perhaps I could be wrong...

Well, one thing's for sure- they're not going to advertise that it's possible to get in-state residency because they lose out on tuition that way. I do believe it is possible in some places though. I was at a talk about Illinois admissions and someone asked about this possibility. The admissions person basically said, "I can't give out information on how that might be possible" and hinted that there was a way, but you'd have to do some research.

At Missouri you can attain residency. They're pretty open about it.:love:

I went to Wisconsin for undergrad and will also be attending vet school there. I have yet to meet anyone who has been granted residency (undergrad, grad, or otherwise)... or even tried. I just don't think it is a possibility. Perhaps I could be wrong...

I am currently finishing up my undergraduate education at Wisco and am out-of-state. I have looked at every possible way to gain residency but it is pretty hard. It might be different for professional schools so something to investigate. The major hurdle is proving you are a resident of Wisconsin for 12 months for non-educational purposes. I know some schools will allow you to defer a year and establish residency and then pay in-state tuition when you matriculate so you could look at this option (if Wisco lets you do it).

I got a letter from Wisconsin that says I am on the alternate list. Does anyone know if it would be okay to still ask for a tour of the school, or will they tell me to wait and see if I am even accepted? I only ask this since they don't seem to give tours to the general public. I figure I will call, since it won't hurt anything, but I am wondering if anyone else has already called about this. I would appreciate any opinions on the subject.

I am currently finishing up my undergraduate education at Wisco and am out-of-state. I have looked at every possible way to gain residency but it is pretty hard. It might be different for professional schools so something to investigate. The major hurdle is proving you are a resident of Wisconsin for 12 months for non-educational purposes. I know some schools will allow you to defer a year and establish residency and then pay in-state tuition when you matriculate so you could look at this option (if Wisco lets you do it).

I agree with this. Wisconsin will grant you residency if you have lived here for a year and worked here for a year (basically showing that you have ties to the state). What I was talking about was that you can't apply for residency just being a student here (I know that in Minnesota you can just be a student and still apply for residency if you vote, get a new license plate, etc). Perhaps its possible if your spouse works here?

Hey k9. The travel agency is called Middleton Travel. Here is the number: 1-800-688-8785.
Julian

Hey,

Is anyone getting free airfare to go to the Wisconsin orientation? The lady I spoke to at first acted like the school paid for your flight and then later said she was confused and there was a mix-up and that they didn't pay for it. I was just wondering if that meant that some people got it covered for them. Not that it really matters, I'm still going, I was just curious what the mix-up was.

Hey,

Is anyone getting free airfare to go to the Wisconsin orientation? The lady I spoke to at first acted like the school paid for your flight and then later said she was confused and there was a mix-up and that they didn't pay for it. I was just wondering if that meant that some people got it covered for them. Not that it really matters, I'm still going, I was just curious what the mix-up was.

I am going to call Sue tomorrow but I was told that they would be paying for our plane ticket.

they paid for mine! it came in the mail a few days ago. tickets are about $1000 from here to there, so thank goodness they paid or i probably couldn't go!

Is anyone getting free airfare to go to the Wisconsin orientation? The lady I spoke to at first acted like the school paid for your flight and then later said she was confused and there was a mix-up and that they didn't pay for it.
When I got the acceptance phone call, Dr. Olsen said they'd pay my plane fare to come to the open house, and gave me the number of a travel agent. I got the idea from the way he said it that they weren't offering this to everyone. It sounded like they were offering it to out-of-state/far-away people who they didn't think would come otherwise.

Just because I've been getting frustrated about this a lot lately and here is as good a place as any, I'm going to rant about the treatment sdb9 got. I understand the desire not to hurt anyone's feelings, but sometimes it goes too far. At the Penn interview they passed around a contact info sheet, and said to fill it out just because in some very rare cases your interviewers might want to contact you, blah blah... Of course after the first interview weekend everyone on SDN knew full well what they were really doing. But I guess to avoid hurting the feelings of people who didn't get a phone call right away, they wouldn't just *say* they were going to call the definite acceptances. Here it's obvious that WI is not paying for everyone's airfare, but rather than just *say* you're accepted but didn't rank high enough to get your ticket paid for, or whatever it was, they'll tell you instead that they're not paying for tickets at all. I just wish they'd assume instead that we're all big girls and boys and can balance for ourselves the joy of an acceptance with the disappointment of not having our airfare paid, and just lay everything out on the table...

Hey, so I'm resurrecting this thread after going to the open house thing. What did y'all think? I was kind of hoping to hate it, or at least to not be very impressed, in order to make my choice easier. :oops: But alas, it seemed like a wonderful and friendly place. Nothing about the facility itself stood out above and beyond other places I've been, but in terms of the friendliness of the people and the support of the administration it's way up there.

as a lowly alternate, i'm still asking questions- has anyone seem both wisconsin and illinois and which do you think is better and for what reasons (in paragraph form, please.)?

I was also hoping to hate it... and loved it. Bummer. I kind of wasn't too impressed with Madison, but that wouldn't matter since (as my tour guides continually emphasized) I wouldn't be living in Madison, but rather in those four rooms on the 2nd floor. I agree about the facilities-- seemed pretty typical. But the students/professors were some of the happiest/proudest/most enthusiastic I've yet encountered.

As for the Illinois comparison-- I'm a little biased (since I didn't get into Illinois) but I saw both schools. I was really turned-off by my crappy tour at Illinois, and by the lack of windows in the vet building... and I didn't really get to talk to any students there because of the mass interview format... so basically I liked Wisconsin better. If you want more reasons you can PM me, but I'm not sure how much of my opinions are legit and how many are because of the style of the interview day at UIUC vs. the open house day at UW.

ooh, and did i mention the rocking non-resident tuition at UW? yowza.

But the students/professors were some of the happiest/proudest/most enthusiastic I've yet encountered.
I *really* wonder how they manage to do this without interviewing. Davis is pretty open about what a disaster it's been when they have experimented with admitting part of their class without interviews (massive attrition, getting people who are great on paper but unlikeable or just downright weird in person, etc.). Maybe Wisconsin really reads into your PS and experiences and tries to evaluate the whole applicant, whereas the Davis non-interviewees were admitted mostly on numbers? Maybe Wisconsin has a psychic on staff who sees the aura of each application and instinctively knows who will fit in... ;)

Wisconsin also had the most ethnically diverse student body (and group of prospective students) I saw in my travels. Granted, most schools you only see the handful of students who are involved in tours and whatnot, but I can't imagine that it's *just* that only whites and Asians happened to volunteer for interview duty everywhere else. I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, honestly... I'm 100% in favor of diversity, but I also don't think I've ever met a URM who would be happy knowing they got in somewhere just because of their race/ethnicity. So I guess I hope that Wisconsin's applicant pool is actually just particularly diverse...

I just got back from Madison, and I can't say anything but good things about the place. I was really impressed.

One of the aspects of the school that really stood out for me, and one that I was not previously aware of, was that it is a relatively young school. I can't remember the exact date, but it was founded sometime in the 80s. That's impressive, given that they successfully compete with much older/established schools in terms of funding and people. They do a good job of attracting talent from around the nation and the world- one of the best teachers is from Ireland! Anyway, I believe that this school has its best days ahead of it. In my opinion, I see a lot of potential here. The best part of it is that I believe that the students, faculty, and administration are aware of this great potential, and are taking advantage of it.

Oh, and did I mention how kind and friendly everyone was? Well, they are! And not just in the vet school. I got lost on my walk to the vet school, and I had about five people from the main campus trying to help me get to where I needed! Very impressive.:thumbup:

Now for the city. Madison is city that does not compare to other cities I have seen before. It is clean, friendly, young, and fun-a unique combination in my travels. At least one of the above factors is missing usually. Moreover, it has a respectable mid-size city population size of somewhere between 300k-400k residents (greater area).

What did everyone else think?

Hey. I went to both Illinois and Madison for an interview at Ill. and openhouse for Madison. I have to say I don't think there was any comparison. I was not impressed at all by the facilities or the people at Ill (i did get accepted, and declined), whereas I thought that the people at Madison were amazing, and the facilities were much better than at Ill. I think the 300 person interview in one day is so unpersonal, and I really think it ruined it for me at Illinois. I am struggling now deciding between NC state and Wisc. (both out of state for me). Hope this helps :)