You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Women's Interview Attire #4
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Glasses are fine.How would glasses like these look? I'd really feel more comfortable in my glasses than having to wear contacts.
![]()
Are ankle boots acceptable? They are just plain black leather with a bit of a heel.
Or what type of flats? I am 5'11" so don't have a ton of experience in pumps, and I'm not sure my interview should be my first experience!
Or what type of flats? I am 5'11" so don't have a ton of experience in pumps, and I'm not sure my interview should be my first experience!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No!Are ankle boots acceptable?
I think I'll take that as a no.
If they are under trousers and look like shoes, they are ok...I think I'll take that as a no.
You wouldn't be able to see where they end/i.e. my ankles, if that is the concern. But I can just suck it up and buy pumps I suppose. Thanks!If they are under trousers and look like shoes, they are ok...
They are not so bad under trousers. I've just been traumatized by ankle boots (shooties?) with skirts...You wouldn't be able to see where they end/i.e. my ankles, if that is the concern. But I can just suck it up and buy pumps I suppose. Thanks!
Wow. I literally had no idea all this was happening. You ladies seem to have a lot of variables to contend with. For men, its just: wear a suit, tie your tie, tie your shoes, shave your face, don't stink, don't get food on yourself before the interview, success = 4 or more out of 6.
Is this interview outfit okay?
[ATTACH=full
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Is the bag below okay, or is the glitter considered too much "bling"?
Top one is great.Is this interview outfit okay?
The v neck printed peace sign blouse is not business professional.
Glitter is not good.Is the bag below okay, or is the glitter considered too much "bling"?
View attachment 223035
Here is a detailed chart about business professional attire that the McCombs School of Business at U of Texas gives out. Students are required to stick to this strictly for all job fairs, interviews, and formal presentations. The faculty even "inspects" them as they enter a career fair! https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/~/media/Files/MSB/Student-Orgs/Diversity Council/F12_-_Instructional_Guide_-_Business_Attire.pdf?fref=gc
For medical school interviews we are allowed to have some color in blouses!
For medical school interviews we are allowed to have some color in blouses!
Wait, can we now get away with skinny pants?!Top one is great.
The v neck printed peace sign blouse is not business professional.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glitter is not good.
Thought not, thanks for confirming! Guess it gives me the excuse to go purse shopping again
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No! At least they looked like proper trousers in the photo...Wait, can we now get away with skinny pants?!
Huh, my understanding was that we couldn't get away with pants as fitted as those. Good to know!No! At least they looked like proper trousers in the photo...
Are ankle boots acceptable? They are just plain black leather with a bit of a heel.
Or what type of flats? I am 5'11" so don't have a ton of experience in pumps, and I'm not sure my interview should be my first experience!
I feel for you - I'm tall as well and just started wearing heels every now and then this summer to start getting used to pumps for interviews. Maybe look into kitten heels - they're generally considered ideal for interviews.
Cole Haan Juliana Pump 45mm
Amazon and Zappos are great for trying out shoes with free return shipping (and finding sizes 10-12 that are hard to find in stores!) - good luck!
I was thinking of something with more of a block heel - just looking at those shoes has my ankles weak! Looks like I'll be browsing the Labor Day sales 😉I feel for you - I'm tall as well and just started wearing heels every now and then this summer to start getting used to pumps for interviews. Maybe look into kitten heels - they're generally considered ideal for interviews.
View attachment 223043
Cole Haan Juliana Pump 45mm
Amazon and Zappos are great for trying out shoes with free return shipping (and finding sizes 10-12 that are hard to find in stores!) - good luck!
Thoughts on smart watches? I assume they are a no go but figured I would check just in case.
I can live with these.Thoughts on smart watches? I assume they are a no go but figured I would check just in case.
I feel like this page gets kinda crazy. At my first interview last week I was freaking out about what to wear, but I saw girls in skirt suits and dresses. Actually, I was the only girl in a pant suit. There were blue,black, and tan skirts and many time times the blazer/jacket color didn't match the skirt: i.e navy skirt and tan blazer. I too was under the impression that you go "boring", so I did black pant suit, kitten heels, and a white button up with very pale pink stripes. However, one girl had a cute salmon color ruffle neck detail shirt and I distinctly remember atleast two admissions people complimenting her on her outfit. I wished I had something more colorful on.... Not saying I'm right or that this is the norm, but I'd say: look professional and wear something you feel good about yourself in. Just be smart about it.
I think it varies a lot. I was at my first interview last week and everyone was in extremely conservative, appropriate attire -- basically exactly what is recommended here. Half pant-suits, half skirts. If I'd showed up in a tan set or non-matching suit, I definitely would've felt like I missed the memo.I feel like this page gets kinda crazy. At my first interview last week I was freaking out about what to wear, but I saw girls in skirt suits and dresses. Actually, I was the only girl in a pant suit. There were blue,black, and tan skirts and many time times the blazer/jacket color didn't match the skirt: i.e navy skirt and tan blazer. I too was under the impression that you go "boring", so I did black pant suit, kitten heels, and a white button up with very pale pink stripes. However, one girl had a cute salmon color ruffle neck detail shirt and I distinctly remember atleast two admissions people complimenting her on her outfit. I wished I had something more colorful on.... Not saying I'm right or that this is the norm, but I'd say: look professional and wear something you feel good about yourself in. Just be smart about it.
Wearing a simple but vibrant shirt under my charcoal suit helped me feel more like myself. Maybe try switching out the colors for your next interview if you didn't feel satisfied, but I bet you looked very professional. 🙂
A silky, opaque shell in a flattering color is better than a white buttoned shirt any day (and it's still business professional).I feel like this page gets kinda crazy. At my first interview last week I was freaking out about what to wear, but I saw girls in skirt suits and dresses. Actually, I was the only girl in a pant suit. There were blue,black, and tan skirts and many time times the blazer/jacket color didn't match the skirt: i.e navy skirt and tan blazer. I too was under the impression that you go "boring", so I did black pant suit, kitten heels, and a white button up with very pale pink stripes. However, one girl had a cute salmon color ruffle neck detail shirt and I distinctly remember atleast two admissions people complimenting her on her outfit. I wished I had something more colorful on.... Not saying I'm right or that this is the norm, but I'd say: look professional and wear something you feel good about yourself in. Just be smart about it.
They are not so bad under trousers. I've just been traumatized by ankle boots (shooties?) with skirts...
I feel for you - I'm tall as well and just started wearing heels every now and then this summer to start getting used to pumps for interviews. Maybe look into kitten heels - they're generally considered ideal for interviews.
View attachment 223043
Cole Haan Juliana Pump 45mm
Amazon and Zappos are great for trying out shoes with free return shipping (and finding sizes 10-12 that are hard to find in stores!) - good luck!
I'm 5'9 and therefore would prefer to avoid heels. Would these shoes be ok? If so, would they be ok both with a skirt suit and a pant suit? Thanks!
View attachment 223077
/Begin rant/
All these tall gals trying to shrink just breaks my heart. Ladies, don't you know there's nothing more stunning than a tall woman in heels? It projects a kind of self-confidence that's magnetic and will make you stand out in a positive way. They don't need to be high -- should not be unprofessionally high -- but flats with a skirt on a tall woman says "I'm trying to downplay my height /downplay myself? / look more 'normal' / blend in / hide? " and makes you look less confident. Don't do it! You're not there to meet insecure guys or make us shorties feel better about ourselves. Rock your altitude!
If you've got the time learn how to walk in professional-height pumps. Invest in one good pair and practice. Wear them with pants even for a really great look!
If you can't master the art of walking in heels, then flats are OK -- but then go with a pantsuit. Flats with a skirt is just plain dowdy.
//End rant//
I actually love wearing heels at 5'11", but I walk in them with the grace of a gorilla. Pair that with an already stress-inducing situation and you've got a recipe for one hell of an interview./Begin rant/
All these tall gals trying to shrink just breaks my heart. Ladies, don't you know there's nothing more stunning than a tall woman in heels? It projects a kind of self-confidence that's magnetic and will make you stand out in a positive way. They don't need to be high -- should not be unprofessionally high -- but flats with a skirt on a tall woman says "I'm trying to downplay my height /downplay myself? / look more 'normal' / blend in / hide? " and makes you look less confident. Don't do it! You're not there to meet insecure guys or make us shorties feel better about ourselves. Rock your altitude!
If you've got the time learn how to walk in professional-height pumps. Invest in one good pair and practice. Wear them with pants even for a really great look!
If you can't master the art of walking in heels, then flats are OK -- but then go with a pantsuit. Flats with a skirt is just plain dowdy.
//End rant//
/Begin rant/
All these tall gals trying to shrink just breaks my heart. Ladies, don't you know there's nothing more stunning than a tall woman in heels?
/
I definitely agree with you! The first time I met a friend of mine (she's 6'3" barefoot!) she was strolling down the hall in 3 inch heels! I definitely noticed her confidence and just general awesomeness. My feeling from talking with other women is that sometimes shorter women wear heels more often to give them more height, whereas taller women tend to wear them when they want to be more formal/fancy.. or if they just love the shoes! I'm just generally not that girly and would love to get away with wearing my running shoes and loafers most days. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of heels, though.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 I was just using the "too tall" excuse when really I don't want to be worrying about balance when I'm already worrying about so many other things at interviews.I actually love wearing heels at 5'11", but I walk in them with the grace of a gorilla. Pair that with an already stress-inducing situation and you've got a recipe for one hell of an interview.
yes.Are skinny heels okay if they're fairly short (2.5 inches)?
Why not wear this color in the shell and get a smaller, black matte bag?Is the level of "shine" in this bag appropriate? I was hoping to offset the black suit/white top with a teeny bit of color by using this bag.
![]()
(on the right)
![]()
Try a dress suit -- sheath dress and matching jacket. Something like the first suit or the second one in a darker color. Very forgiving on less-than-perfect figures, and also less distracting on Sofia Vergara-esque curves.
![]()
![]()
Is the neckline on the model wearing all black in the above photo appropriate?
The shell I bought has a similar neckline and it doesn't show any hint of cleavage at all
Is the neckline on the model wearing all black in the above photo appropriate?
The shell I bought has a similar neckline and it doesn't show any hint of cleavage at all
If there's no hint of cleavage, then it's not a problem
Make sure that the same is true after several hours.The shell I bought has a similar neckline and it doesn't show any hint of cleavage at all
Blouses have a way of moving south as the day wears on.
I just want to confirm - kitten heels are ok, right? I feel more comfortable walking in them, but could go higher if I have to.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Make sure that the same is true after several hours.
Blouses have a way of moving south as the day wears on.
Good call, I'll give it a test run at work
They're fine.I just want to confirm - kitten heels are ok, right? I feel more comfortable walking in them, but could go higher if I have to.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
They're fine.
Thanks! I'll go with more comfortable so I don't look like a buffoon walking around
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I too vote against buffoon!Thanks! I'll go with more comfortable so I don't look like a buffoon walking around
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's ok.are t strap kitten heels okay? i have something like these and they are very comfortable and still provide some height. i am wearing a dress suit so people will be able to see the strap.
View attachment 223207
A suit (the same material for jacket and skirt or trousers) is required for business professional.I'm not applying until next cycle, but I've always pictured an outfit like this. I see that the general advice is to wear the same color jacket/skirt. Is this outfit too unprofessional?
What colors do you think would be good for blouses? I have heard many varied opinions on this and that wearing colors outside of neutrals is fine as long as there aren't any crazy patterns.
For example, do you think these colored blouses would look appropriate with a black suit? :
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8d/59/87/8d59876417094d2b1c27ab805649f1b4.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/29/7d/f3/...en-business-fashion-women-business-attire.jpg
Also, I noticed that it is recommended we avoid v-neck blouses, but would these be fine as long as you wear a camisole to cover cleavage?
For example, do you think these colored blouses would look appropriate with a black suit? :
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8d/59/87/8d59876417094d2b1c27ab805649f1b4.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/29/7d/f3/...en-business-fashion-women-business-attire.jpg
Also, I noticed that it is recommended we avoid v-neck blouses, but would these be fine as long as you wear a camisole to cover cleavage?
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 736
J
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
J