This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you suggesting the skirt is too short? or it could be shorter?
It looks short on the model (but she's probably 6'...).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, if you are a relatively average size 4 to 12, you can find banana republic, J crew, and Express pant suits pretty cheap on eBay. Like new, used, or lightly used

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, if you are a relatively average size 4 to 12, you can find banana republic, J crew, and Express pant suits pretty cheap on eBay. Like new, used, or lightly used

I own both an older J Crew suit and newer banana republic suit. I love them both (although the J Crew is now too small and I haven't gained weight, so I don't know why). I'd be more than happy to talk about fit and if anyone has any specific questions before buying on eBay. I bought my wedding dress on eBay and I couldn't have been happier with the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is it OK that we just bring a black leather portfolio (black blazer and pencil skirt, white top)? Thanks.

I always bring my black leather portfolio when interviewing anywhere but I also dress very conservatively.
Thank you. Do you also bring a bag in addition to a portfolio? What do you usually put in your portfolio? copies of resumes? I guess I can slip in a phone. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 4.49.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 5.00.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 5.06.20 PM.png

I've been browsing previous threads on this topic. I'd like to go with this attire if possible?

Reactions: 1 users
Is this appropriate for interviews? I mean, closer to December...
;)

3028429_Christmiss

Reactions: 9 users
Is this appropriate for interviews? I mean, closer to December...
;)

3028429_Christmiss
A lot of people go with a white layering blouse, but I think you'll stand out a little more for the adcoms if you throw in some color. Maybe magenta or unicorn sparkles.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, you're welcome. I do not bring a bag with me. My portfolio has my CV, copies of relevant documents they have requested or those to which I will refer if need be, and a clean, new notepad to write notes. I try to come across as professional, prepared and not bogged down with 'stuff'. I want to be perceived on an equal footing with my peers (men) and not give them any reason to think i'm somehow heavy laden with stuff. The bag stays in the car. :)

Thank you so much for the information and advice! I am now worried about the situation where a car is unavailable, i.e., not within the driving distance and I do not plan on renting a car! Just finished all my secondaries (LizzyM 81), now waiting for my first II to come! Just want to be prepared if I do get one! Thanks again!

Would a hairstyle like this
96b16c061c0b0d5695aca48f744eb846.jpg
invertedponytail.jpg

be appropriate with thick, waist-length hair? (The hairstyle would make it a little shorter). My hair is wavy but I could straighten it.

So I fell down a flight of stairs yesterday and it looks like I'll be spending the next while in the dreaded boot. :(

I'm not sure what to do with interviews this Friday and next week. The boot means I have to wear flats on my other foot, which unfortunately makes my pants somewhat too long. Anyone have tips for still looking professional while hobbling around?

Also -- not attire-related, but I'm moving a tad slower than usual. Is this the kind of thing I should notify a school about before I get there? (for tours, etc.) I'm still very mobile, just can't sprint around a campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
05b7c702e3f2f66b03d78a68f04e72f3.jpg

I'm having a hard time getting a purse for my interview (shipping keeps being delayed by the hurricane). Would this clutch work for just my necessities if I can't get anything else?

Does anyone have any suggestions on wearing pantyhose with heels? My heels fit great, but whenever I wear pantyhose I start slipping making it impossible to walk. I'm not sure what to do considering most say pantyhose are require if wearing a skirt. Thoughts?

If I'm wearing pantyhose (which is basically never), I generally wear heels with straps. Slipping in and out of pumps gives me blisters on the backs of my ankles.

Does anyone have any suggestions on wearing pantyhose with heels? My heels fit great, but whenever I wear pantyhose I start slipping making it impossible to walk. I'm not sure what to do considering most say pantyhose are require if wearing a skirt. Thoughts?
You can get these little foam things that you put on the backs of the shoes that keep your heals in. I can't remember the names of them or where to get them, but I'll post if i can find some!

Reactions: 3 users
Would a hairstyle like this
View attachment 223503 View attachment 223504
be appropriate with thick, waist-length hair? (The hairstyle would make it a little shorter). My hair is wavy but I could straighten it.

That hairstyle is very appropriate for longer hair. Remember, the main criteria are 'out of your face' and 'low maintenance' during work hours.

So I fell down a flight of stairs yesterday and it looks like I'll be spending the next while in the dreaded boot. :(

I'm not sure what to do with interviews this Friday and next week. The boot means I have to wear flats on my other foot, which unfortunately makes my pants somewhat too long. Anyone have tips for still looking professional while hobbling around?

Also -- not attire-related, but I'm moving a tad slower than usual. Is this the kind of thing I should notify a school about before I get there? (for tours, etc.) I'm still very mobile, just can't sprint around a campus.

You won't be the first -- Have your pants professionally hemmed -- Many dry-cleaners can do. Tell them not to cut the fabric (they probably wouldn't anyway) and that the hem should be temporary. Should cost under $20.

05b7c702e3f2f66b03d78a68f04e72f3.jpg

I'm having a hard time getting a purse for my interview (shipping keeps being delayed by the hurricane). Would this clutch work for just my necessities if I can't get anything else?

That would be fine. You don't actually need to carry a bag if Keys and Phone can fit elsewhere.

You can get these little foam things that you put on the backs of the shoes that keep your heals in. I can't remember the names of them or where to get them, but I'll post if i can find some!

Thanks! I actually tried that just recently, but I'm finding that even then the grip is not great and I feel self-conscious walking. Would not wearing pantyhose be a deal breaker or should I just stick to pants ?

Thanks! I actually tried that just recently, but I'm finding that even then the grip is not great and I feel self-conscious walking. Would not wearing pantyhose be a deal breaker or should I just stick to pants ?

Back when I went through med school interviews (I'm a 4th year now) I was actually pretty shocked at how many women didn't wear pantyhose with their skirts. So based on my n=1 experience, if you went without you probably wouldn't be the only one. However, pantyhose is still considered a part of business professional so you may be risking some of the more old-school faculty looking down on you for not wearing it.

If I were you and the heels + pantyhose was causing me an issue, I'd probably just wear pants. But I'm pretty risk-adverse when it comes to these kinds of things.

Reactions: 3 users
A small piece of advice for people buying their first new suit for an interview: Remove the tack stitching!

Many new suits come with the vents, pockets, etc. loosely stitched together - these should be removed (unless you care about lines more than storage, in which case you can leave the pockets sewn shut I suppose). I saw a few people with the vent stitching still on at my interview today, and while it isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things you'll rock your suit better if you remove it :)

example of vent stitch:
upload_2017-9-14_19-5-59.png

Reactions: 9 users
So everything is ready to go for Tuesday, EXCEPT - I'm in a fairly bad predicament because I cannot get my suit back from the dry cleaners. I dropped it off early last week and asked repeatedly if it would be done in time for me to pick it up. I did not realize they do nothing on site and they shipped it out to a location well over an hour away. We tried picking it up and were told that the plant lost power after the suit was sent there, and they should have power back, but the suit is still over there. Honestly, at this point I don't care if it's clean, I just want it back. They told us we could pick it up from that location, but after repeated phone calls we think the place is closed (Despite the fact that they promised us over and over again that it would be open). I might be able to pick it up between classes tomorrow, but it's so far away that it might be cutting it close and attendance is required. So now I'm stuck. I honestly wouldn't have dropped it off if I thought they were going to ship it across the state for dry cleaning (and this is same day dry cleaner).

Here are my options:
(1) Additional black suit with skirt that is too tight. I put it on today and I can zip it up and technically close the back. the problem is sitting. I *can* sit, but it's awkward. The waist goes so high up that I need a shirt that does not tuck in. Is this a possibility? Could I purchase some kind of shell that doesn't need to be tucked in to make it work? This might work even with a tucked in shirt - it will just look really, really weird. I'm leaning toward this being the best option despite it being so ridiculously uncomfortable. Maybe I can get a waist band extender.
(2) Additional grey suit with skirt that is too big. Skirt is so big that it nearly falls off my hips. I might be able to strategically pin this or even sew it today. My mom, a seasoned seamstress, things that is far too much work. Jacket was recently altered and it's just not a quality suit so it doesn't really fit well. If I could somehow make the skirt fit, this might work. I would also need some kind of shell that doesn't need to be tucked in for this to work.
(3) Any additional ideas? I have a nice black shift dress, but no jacket. I have my suit pants, but the jacket is being held hostage with the skirt and doesn't really match the black of the other black jacket.

#thanksirma

So everything is ready to go for Tuesday, EXCEPT - I'm in a fairly bad predicament because I cannot get my suit back from the dry cleaners. I dropped it off early last week and asked repeatedly if it would be done in time for me to pick it up. I did not realize they do nothing on site and they shipped it out to a location well over an hour away. We tried picking it up and were told that the plant lost power after the suit was sent there, and they should have power back, but the suit is still over there. Honestly, at this point I don't care if it's clean, I just want it back. They told us we could pick it up from that location, but after repeated phone calls we think the place is closed (Despite the fact that they promised us over and over again that it would be open). I might be able to pick it up between classes tomorrow, but it's so far away that it might be cutting it close and attendance is required. So now I'm stuck. I honestly wouldn't have dropped it off if I thought they were going to ship it across the state for dry cleaning (and this is same day dry cleaner).

Here are my options:
(1) Additional black suit with skirt that is too tight. I put it on today and I can zip it up and technically close the back. the problem is sitting. I *can* sit, but it's awkward. The waist goes so high up that I need a shirt that does not tuck in. Is this a possibility? Could I purchase some kind of shell that doesn't need to be tucked in to make it work? This might work even with a tucked in shirt - it will just look really, really weird. I'm leaning toward this being the best option despite it being so ridiculously uncomfortable. Maybe I can get a waist band extender.
(2) Additional grey suit with skirt that is too big. Skirt is so big that it nearly falls off my hips. I might be able to strategically pin this or even sew it today. My mom, a seasoned seamstress, things that is far too much work. Jacket was recently altered and it's just not a quality suit so it doesn't really fit well. If I could somehow make the skirt fit, this might work. I would also need some kind of shell that doesn't need to be tucked in for this to work.
(3) Any additional ideas? I have a nice black shift dress, but no jacket. I have my suit pants, but the jacket is being held hostage with the skirt and doesn't really match the black of the other black jacket.

#thanksirma

What an awful situation to be in so close to the interview date! Sorry to hear about this. Another suggestion, can you hire a courier service to go pick up your suit and bring it to you? Maybe Dolly?

Here are my options:

#thanksirma

Wow, that sounds super stressful :/ If you can't get your suit back, I think the shift dress with your black or gray jacket would work the best. Probably the gray jacket if the fabric between your black dress and jacket don't match. I've seen a couple intentionally mismatched blazers on interviews so far and I thought it looked fine (I wouldn't have known it was not recommended if not for this thread). It's certainly better than your skirt ripping or falling off due to a bad fit!

OK, so we called and they are definitely closed today, so I'm trying everything on with all sorts of combinations and I'll hopefully find something that works. I refuse to spend money at this point as this might be my only interview of the season and that would be a complete waste. I'll keep you all posted if I can get the suit back tomorrow. Praying for miracles at this point.

OK, so we called and they are definitely closed today, so I'm trying everything on with all sorts of combinations and I'll hopefully find something that works. I refuse to spend money at this point as this might be my only interview of the season and that would be a complete waste. I'll keep you all posted if I can get the suit back tomorrow. Praying for miracles at this point.

Do let us know! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm rooting for you! You've been the sweetest, most encouraging person on every thread I'm part of -- I'm sure that attitude will be infinitely more apparent than any suit mishap.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks so much for all of the encouragement - you all are amazing!!! So apparently the secret weapon of choice this Tuesday will be L'eggs control top panty hose, $5.99 at the grocery store. Those seemed to make the tight skirt fit perfectly, which explains why I was able to wear that suit in college (at the same weight as I am now). Still a little tight when I sit - but more like uncomfortable, not necessarily going to split a seem (Which is how it feels without hose). I'm going to purchase a waist expander clip this afternoon and I think that should at least make it manageable. If I get my suit back tomorrow, I'll let you know! I also have a nice dress which would work and it *almost* matches the jacket - could be used as a backup.

Reactions: 4 users
So - I thought I would post the purse I ended up getting. I wanted something large enough to shove packets of papers in without looking it like a beach bag. I also appreciated a lot of options people posted, but I wanted something that was real leather as I will be using this for a long time. I found a purse that is big enough for a 13-inch computer (which I don't actually own, but maybe will some day??), but looks like a normal size purse. It also doesn't have the dividers that a lot of purses have (I really don't like anything in my purse but just a large open area to put my stuff). I ordered this one Thursday and it looks really nice - much better than I expected. It should also hold a pair of shoes for getting to and from the parking lot, etc. It's not super cheap, but it's just a little more expensive than the fake leather options I was seeing. I would have been happy with a passable purse from a second hand store $10, or investing in a piece that would last for a bit more. I couldn't find anything at the second hand stores I visited, so I splurged a little for the investment (search in amazon - the link isn't working)

S-ZONE Women's Genuine Leather Handbags Slim Briefcase Purse Shoulder Bags Tote Bags

EDIT: Having a difficult time pasting link. Give me a minute

So - I thought I would post the purse I ended up getting. I wanted something large enough to shove packets of papers in without looking it like a beach bag. I also appreciated a lot of options people posted, but I wanted something that was real leather as I will be using this for a long time. I found a purse that is big enough for a 13-inch computer (which I don't actually own, but maybe will some day??), but looks like a normal size purse. It also doesn't have the dividers that a lot of purses have (I really don't like anything in my purse but just a large open area to put my stuff). I ordered this one Thursday and it looks really nice - much better than I expected. It should also hold a pair of shoes for getting to and from the parking lot, etc. It's not super cheap, but it's just a little more expensive than the fake leather options I was seeing. I would have been happy with a passable purse from a second hand store $10, or investing in a piece that would last for a bit more. I couldn't find anything at the second hand stores I visited, so I splurged a little for the investment (search in amazon - the link isn't working)

S-ZONE Women's Genuine Leather Handbags Slim Briefcase Purse Shoulder Bags Tote Bags

EDIT: Having a difficult time pasting link. Give me a minute

I love that bag! Think I need one as well - I've been casually looking for a cute bag that works as a handbag, but is big enough to hold a folder. That one is way better than anything else I've seen. What color did you get? I think I want the red one.

I love that bag! Think I need one as well - I've been casually looking for a cute bag that works as a handbag, but is big enough to hold a folder. That one is way better than anything else I've seen. What color did you get? I think I want the red one.

I went super boring and got black. But I REALLY like the tan one. In fact, it was an ad for the tan one that originally got me interested in it!

My husband has tracked down my suit. There are no words for how grateful I feel right now

Reactions: 16 users
Anyone that actually has hips find it impossible to find pants that "don't hug your hips"? If so, where? I have an interview next week and I've had no luck so far.

Anyone that actually has hips find it impossible to find pants that "don't hug your hips"? If so, where? I have an interview next week and I've had no luck so far.

I'm quite unbalanced (26" waist, 40" hips/rear) and have found banana republic has one line that tends to fit well.

I've got big hips, butt and thighs so I feel your pain in finding a suit. I found it was much easier to find a skirt suit that fit well, but I feel more comfortable in pants. I ended up in a Calvin Klein "curvy" suit from Dillard's that was flattering and didn't look sloppy because it was too big. I saw a lot of people at my interview in form fitting and very tight pants/skirts... I think as long as it is not skin tight you'll be fine. After shopping all day I realize there was no way to "hide" my curves without sizing up and looking sloppy, so I settled for not drawing attention to them.

I've got big hips, butt and thighs so I feel your pain in finding a suit. I found it was much easier to find a skirt suit that fit well, but I feel more comfortable in pants. I ended up in a Calvin Klein "curvy" suit from Dillard's that was flattering and didn't look sloppy because it was too big.

I am both short and curvy, and I ended up going with a suit from Talbots because they had a petite plus range. They also had a regular range, a plus range, and a petite range, and "curvy" cuts in the pants.

Question: a great grey suit that kinda stands out in the sea of black that's slightly larger/less perfectly fitting or a black suit that fits v well?

Question: a great grey suit that kinda stands out in the sea of black that's slightly larger/less perfectly fitting or a black suit that fits v well?

I had to make that decision - I went with the black one. You'll look best in something that fits well, but someone may have better advice.

How often do I need to get my suit dry cleaned? After the last dry cleaning debacle I'm nervous about dropping it off again, but I do have one more interview and wasn't sure if it needed to be cleaned before then.

Also, what happens if you tear one pair of hose and then your backup hose? Is it that truly awful to ditch if both the initial pair and backup pair fail?

How often do I need to get my suit dry cleaned? After the last dry cleaning debacle I'm nervous about dropping it off again, but I do have one more interview and wasn't sure if it needed to be cleaned before then.

Also, what happens if you tear one pair of hose and then your backup hose? Is it that truly awful to ditch if both the initial pair and backup pair fail?
Lol... what are you doing that you're tearing two pair of hose in one afternoon?

Or are you implying that you're wearing the hose multiple times?

I suppose I'd rather see somebody with a naked leg than a pair of hose with runs but if this is truly a problem, why not take three or four pair?

Finally, suits do not need to be cleaned very often. I probably get mine pressed every few wearings.

I usually dry clean my suits after 3 or 4 wears if they're not dirty (and it's not 115 degrees with 98% humidity). As for the hose, bring clear nail polish. It does pretty well with stopping runs if you catch them early enough. My guess would be that if two pairs get completely decimated, though, the universe is telling you that pantyhose are not in the cards for you that day.

Thanks! I tore them just putting them on - brand new. I think I was just a little nervous and tugged too hard. I definitely got the right size. Oh well! I'll bring a third pair if I can find one. The hole was covered, but I was very much aware of it all day. I'm thinking I should plan for the worst next time as well.

Lol... what are you doing that you're tearing two pair of hose in one afternoon?

Or are you implying that you're wearing the hose multiple times?

I suppose I'd rather see somebody with a naked leg than a pair of hose with runs but if this is truly a problem, why not take three or four pair?

Finally, suits do not need to be cleaned very often. I probably get mine pressed every few wearings.
new.