This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What colors do you think would be good for blouses? I have heard many varied opinions on this and that wearing colors outside of neutrals is fine as long as there aren't any crazy patterns.

For example, do you think these colored blouses would look appropriate with a black suit? :
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8d/59/87/8d59876417094d2b1c27ab805649f1b4.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/29/7d/f3/...en-business-fashion-women-business-attire.jpg

Also, I noticed that it is recommended we avoid v-neck blouses, but would these be fine as long as you wear a camisole to cover cleavage?
Any (non-neon) flattering solid color is fine.
Visible camisoles are not business professional.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I bought some low heels today but I'm also trying to buy some flats because the last time I wore heels was about 8 years ago at homecoming... wow. I've been perusing the thread but haven't really gotten a good handle on the best-looking type of flat to get.

I imagine something like these might be considered too casual? If so, can anyone give an example of a flat that is more appropriate? Thanks guys :)

I imagine something like these might be considered too casual? If so, can anyone give an example of a flat that is more appropriate? Thanks guys :)
If you have to wear flats, they are not worse than others.
A pump (even with a half inch heel) is more business professional.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to wear flats, they are not worse than others.
A pump (even with a half inch heel) is more business professional.
I agree :( I just don't want to fall/also want to have walking shoes for tours since that is a thing I guess.

I attached a picture of the heels I was looking at today - do they look okay? I like them but maybe they're too pointy

Attachments

• IMG_20170903_154514.jpg
    IMG_20170903_154514.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 196
I agree :( I just don't want to fall/also want to have walking shoes for tours since that is a thing I guess.

I attached a picture of the heels I was looking at today - do they look okay? I like them but maybe they're too pointy
They're fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Would a blouse with a slightly embellished collar be unprofessional? I was thinking of wearing a black blazer over this with either matching black suitpants or skirt.
$_57.JPG

Would a blouse with a slightly embellished collar be unprofessional? I was thinking of wearing a black blazer over this with either matching black suitpants or skirt.
$_57.JPG
Embellishments are definitely not business professional.

When cost of tailoring >> original suit price

Embellishments are definitely not business professional.

I'd say it depends on the nature of the embellishments. If those are rhinestones or studs, then definitely not. If it's a simple embroidered detail (I can't tell from the photo), then it's probably OK.

In short -- no bling on your clothes. OK, no bling at all.

Went shopping during the Labor Day sales and found a nice top and very comfortable heels just in time for interviews! A huge thanks to @gyngyn and @DokterMom for all of your advice :)

For those of you still looking for heels, I am totally not the heels kind of person (in recent years, I have gone from wearing flats to only wearing tennis shoes if that gives you an idea...) and I found that Clarks heels were so much more comfortable than I thought heels could be! The pair I have has a nice cushioned sole and the heel is a bit thicker than usual, which makes me feel like I'm walking on more solid ground than I usually would with heels on. I also found a decent looking black, structured bag on Amazon for $30 to store them in while on the walking tour!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Went shopping during the Labor Day sales and found a nice top and very comfortable heels just in time for interviews! A huge thanks to @gyngyn and @DokterMom for all of your advice :)

For those of you still looking for heels, I am totally not the heels kind of person (in recent years, I have gone to wearing flats to only wearing tennis shoes if that gives you an idea...) and I found that Clarks heels were so much more comfortable than I thought heels could be! The pair I have has a nice cushioned sole and the heel is a bit thicker than usual, which makes me feel like I'm walking on more solid ground than I usually would with heels on. I also found a decent looking black, structured bag on Amazon for $30 to store them in while on the walking tour!
Can I ask if you have a picture of the Clarks heels as well as what store you got them from? Thanks :)

Can I ask if you have a picture of the Clarks heels as well as what store you got them from? Thanks :)
Just going to jump in and say I bought these Naturalizer pumps at Macy's and wore them even through my first interview's very long campus tour -- super sturdy heel and soft cushion, I love them. Just in case you don't have a Clarks near you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When cost of tailoring >> original suit price

Where do you live? I got my suit tailored for $24, but I think I got really, really lucky. She took in my favorite long coat for $28.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those of you still looking for heels, I am totally not the heels kind of person (in recent years, I have gone from wearing flats to only wearing tennis shoes if that gives you an idea...) and I found that Clarks heels were so much more comfortable than I thought heels could be! The pair I have has a nice cushioned sole and the heel is a bit thicker than usual, which makes me feel like I'm walking on more solid ground than I usually would with heels on. I also found a decent looking black, structured bag on Amazon for $30 to store them in while on the walking tour!

Did you post the link to the bag you purchased? If not, can you post it?

In case anyone is still looking for comfy heels and needs suggestions, I found these: Women's Karmen Pump

The heel is about 3 inches and they have some good neutral colors. I found them to be pretty comfortable too!

Did you post the link to the bag you purchased? If not, can you post it?

I ordered this bag (unfortunately, it looks sold out?), but other similar bags that I was looking at include this one ($40) and this one ($27). I basically searched "black structured satchel" and went down the list on Amazon until I found one that I liked. Although it's decent quality, I'm not expecting it to last 5+ years... However, at $30 it is a much better choice for me than the $2500 Prada bag that apparently a lot of bloggers like as a work/interview bag :eek:

Where do you live? I got my suit tailored for $24, but I think I got really, really lucky. She took in my favorite long coat for $28.

Wow! That is a steal. I got it (just the jacket) tailored in a small shop in Chicago for $60...but I'm probably overreacting due to perpetual broke-ness

You are correct.
They looked like proper trousers on first glance (to my aged vision)...
Oh thank god, I thought I was going crazy when you said they looked fine!

I bought a formal black dress similar to this at Banana Republic:
ddf17bd8f0d44daba1ab3c404cba0486.jpg

If I wear a black blazer over this, would it be business professional? Dress is plain black, nicely fitted, and no embellishments.

I bought a formal black dress similar to this at Banana Republic:
ddf17bd8f0d44daba1ab3c404cba0486.jpg

If I wear a black blazer over this, would it be business professional? Dress is plain black, nicely fitted, and no embellishments.
If the black matches perfectly, it isn't a problem. I wore the suit dress look last year and it was fine. It is great for women with large chests. Banana Republic should have matching fabric.

Wow! That is a steal. I got it (just the jacket) tailored in a small shop in Chicago for $60...but I'm probably overreacting due to perpetual broke-ness

That's how much I expected it to cost, so that sounds about right. I called my local Banana Republic for an idea of where to go, and they gave me the name of the alterations store they use. It's a total steal and the lady who owns the shop deserves far more than she's charging.

If you were closer to my area (Florida), I'd send you our way!

What colors do you think would be good for blouses? I have heard many varied opinions on this and that wearing colors outside of neutrals is fine as long as there aren't any crazy patterns.

For example, do you think these colored blouses would look appropriate with a black suit? :
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8d/59/87/8d59876417094d2b1c27ab805649f1b4.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/29/7d/f3/...en-business-fashion-women-business-attire.jpg

Also, I noticed that it is recommended we avoid v-neck blouses, but would these be fine as long as you wear a camisole to cover cleavage?
I wore almost the exact same color under a black suit recently at an interview. I did not feel out of place or inappropriately dressed at all. It gave a nice pop of color, and I got several compliments on it through out the day. I was glad not to be one of the many in just black and white.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Just going to jump in and say I bought these Naturalizer pumps at Macy's and wore them even through my first interview's very long campus tour -- super sturdy heel and soft cushion, I love them. Just in case you don't have a Clarks near you! :)
I've bought the same shoes in black, and my feet will never be the same again :arghh: more blisters than II's to my name currently

Trying to avoid spending any more money than I already have so I've been doing some closet shopping. I have these shoes which I have worn to job interviews in the past and are fairly comfortable. I know they are taller than recommended and have an ankle strap, but I'm definitely on the shorter side and my pants cover the strap so I'm hoping those won't be issues. Also, this has been my go-to bag for a while but I'm worried it might be too big for this purpose (I would take the logo charm off). I need something that can hold a pair of shoes and other necessities. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I've bought the same shoes in black, and my feet will never be the same again :arghh: more blisters than II's to my name currently
For me, Naturalizer shoes are too narrow. Adding to the problem is that Naturalizer, which used to be a more traditional brand, has now gone to manmade (plastic) uppers rather than leather. I am cheap but I don't want pleather shoes! :eek:

Are nose rings bad? I have had my nose pierced for years and wear a tiny, tiny diamond. Would nose rings be deemed inappropriate? Other wise It will look like I have a little hole in my nose.

Are nose rings bad? I have had my nose pierced for years and wear a tiny, tiny diamond. Would nose rings be deemed inappropriate? Other wise It will look like I have a little hole in my nose.
I took mine out. I didn't see anyone with a nose ring, and I recommend only wearing one set of earrings if you have multiple piercings.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk. While times are changing and I've met a number of medical students (and even residents and docs) with small nose rings, the reality is that facial piercings are still largely considered to be unprofessional. Med school admissions are tough enough as it is...why risk getting dinged for a piece of jewelry? :shrug:

Reactions: 3 users
Is a nude bag okay with a black suit? It's the only nice leather bag I own

Trying to avoid spending any more money than I already have so I've been doing some closet shopping. I have these shoes which I have worn to job interviews in the past and are fairly comfortable. I know they are taller than recommended and have an ankle strap, but I'm definitely on the shorter side and my pants cover the strap so I'm hoping those won't be issues. Also, this has been my go-to bag for a while but I'm worried it might be too big for this purpose (I would take the logo charm off). I need something that can hold a pair of shoes and other necessities. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Curious about this too. At 5'1, I wouldn't mind a little extra height if I could get away with it

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

I think you could wear it to work, but it is too trendy for a job interview. Jacket is short in the body and sleeves and doesn't button.
Agreed that the sleeves and jacket are too short.

It *does* button (it has hook and eye closure when you look at the picture closely) but its not ideal for a formal interview.

Ugh I know, it is ridiculous... I already own the bag (graduation present) and was trying to avoid buying a new one. Clearly, I need to

So to be perfectly honest, I don't think the size of the bag will make or break your interview. Would it theoretically be better to have a smaller one? Sure, but if the rest of you is put together, I can't imagine how an interviewer would look at the bag and say, "Nope, sorry." Especially since it's pretty conservative and plain.

Bottom of the page they show "things you might also be interested in" or some sort of lingo which shows the matching jacket.
To the left is a photo of the model wearing the skirt and matching jacket.