This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A high pony can give off a "cheerleader vibe" that is not business professional.
Low ponies are fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So it's starting to get colder, and I would love some input on what to wear as far as overcoats go. Overcoats are kind of expensive, and I don't own one... Since tours don't usually go outside, is it really necessary to buy a separate coat for interviews? Can I just wear my normal winter coat?

If I do need to get an overcoat, does anybody have some good examples of what to get? Are these often easy to find in thrift stores?

So it's starting to get colder, and I would love some input on what to wear as far as overcoats go. Overcoats are kind of expensive, and I don't own one... Since tours don't usually go outside, is it really necessary to buy a separate coat for interviews? Can I just wear my normal winter coat?

If I do need to get an overcoat, does anybody have some good examples of what to get? Are these often easy to find in thrift stores?
Every place that I interviewed, we put our coats away. The tour guide is not going to run to someone and report you had a casual jacket. Save your money.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Phew that took me a while to read all of the 18 pages! What's the consensus on engagement rings? I don't want to give off the wrong impression with a giant designer ring, especially at schools who focus on underserved patient populations. But I definitely mentioned my finace in some of the apps and don't want it to be awkward if I don't have a ring (assumption of the engagement being called off)?
And it seems like the debate around tapered pantsuits with pumps is trending towards a yes? The bootcut pants look awful on us shorter ladies :/ Would these examples below be an acceptable amount of tapering? I'm thinking navy instead of black though.

5873b97060d84f6b167659760a6817dc.jpg
portia-de-rossi.jpg

Just something reasonably conservative and low-maintenance.
@DokterMom your username is the best!

So, more hair questions. I am a much older candidate, but people don't usually notice. My mother, aunts, and grandmother all look younger than they are. I,got lucky that way. I mostly stay out of the sun, don't smoke, rarely drink, have a healthy weight, etc. I am not particularly attractive, but I know I have good hair. I have no gray yet, not to say gray hair is unattractive--I welcome it after I match! But I feel like it's one of the things that causes people to not notice my age.

So. What's the verdict on a simple french braid for people who have the right hair for it? Like the kind female soldiers use? Is it too high maintenance? It shows that I don't color my hair and it keeps me from touching my hair.

(Eta: low ponies get messy really quickly--my hair is wavy, coarse, and very thick)

Last edited:
@DokterMom your username is the best!

So, more hair questions. I am a much older candidate, but people don't usually notice. My mother, aunts, and grandmother all look younger than they are. I,got lucky that way. I mostly stay out of the sun, don't smoke, rarely drink, have a healthy weight, etc. I am not particularly attractive, but I know I have good hair. I have no gray yet, not to say gray hair is unattractive--I welcome it after I match! But I feel like it's one of the things that causes people to not notice my age.

So. What's the verdict on a simple french braid for people who have the right hair for it? Like the kind female soldiers use? Is it too high maintenance? It shows that I don't color my hair and it keeps me from touching my hair.

(Eta: low ponies get messy really quickly--my hair is wavy, coarse, and very thick)

French Braids are fabulous! Elegant. Fix it & forget it. Especially if you've got the hair for it --

And talk about user names -- I love yours! Was going to say I was surprised it was available, but see you're not a newcomer here. A strategic planner, huh?

Phew that took me a while to read all of the 18 pages! What's the consensus on engagement rings? I don't want to give off the wrong impression with a giant designer ring, especially at schools who focus on underserved patient populations. But I definitely mentioned my finace in some of the apps and don't want it to be awkward if I don't have a ring (assumption of the engagement being called off)?

And it seems like the debate around tapered pantsuits with pumps is trending towards a yes? The bootcut pants look awful on us shorter ladies :/ Would these examples below be an acceptable amount of tapering? I'm thinking navy instead of black though. /QUOTE]

On the pantsuit -- I'm going to say the CUT on these two below (NOT the colors, obviously, or the outfits overall) is what I had in mind. The Emma Watson suit above is a little too stylish to be 'perfectly appropriate' but certainly not in the 'get you rejected' pile. If you are a 'dynamite' candidate, I might even say go for it. But if you're more 'average' then better to play it safe.

Simple-Business-Pant-Suits-For-Women-12.jpg

Simple-Business-Pant-Suits-For-Women-9.jpg

On the engagement ring -- How big is it? If your center stone is more than a full carat, you might draw unwanted attention, so consider switching out for a low-key fake solitaire for the day. Something about half a carat would be "perfectly appropriate" and not raise any eyebrows. Or leave it off. Not everyone wears an engagement ring, and I doubt anyone will dive that deep into your personal life. You're probably better off not talking about your fiance much anyway as it might create the impression that you're high risk for "mommy-tracking"... (Sad how much minefield women have to tiptoe through...)

And on a completely different note, can anyone please tell me how to shrink these pictures? What's the syntax for that?

French Braids are fabulous! Elegant. Fix it & forget it. Especially if you've got the hair for it --

And talk about user names -- I love yours! Was going to say I was surprised it was available, but see you're not a newcomer here. A strategic planner, huh?

I am all kinds of relieved to know the french braid is good!

And thanks--I was surprised it was available, too.

Same question about the engagement rings. Would you recommend >1 carat be left off? I'm married so could just wear my wedding band. On the other hand, I don't think of my engagement ring simply as "an accessory" - I wear it every day and I would think (hope?) that it's seen a little differently then just putting on flashy earrings just for fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Same question about the engagement rings. Would you recommend >1 carat be left off? I'm married so could just wear my wedding band. On the other hand, I don't think of my engagement ring simply as "an accessory" - I wear it every day and I would think (hope?) that it's seen a little differently then just putting on flashy earrings just for fun.

This is what @DokterMom said:

On the engagement ring -- How big is it? If your center stone is more than a full carat, you might draw unwanted attention, so consider switching out for a low-key fake solitaire for the day. Something about half a carat would be "perfectly appropriate" and not raise any eyebrows. Or leave it off. Not everyone wears an engagement ring, and I doubt anyone will dive that deep into your personal life. You're probably better off not talking about your fiance much anyway as it might create the impression that you're high risk for "mommy-tracking"... (Sad how much minefield women have to tiptoe through...)

Well, I'm just going to wade right into the muck here, but...

If you're very young, perfectly-shaped, beautiful and wear a huge shiny rock, there will be people who will judge you for it and some of them might be on your interview team. Some may assume that you're unintelligent, others that you're not serious about a career, some that will judge that your priorities are likely misplaced, and still others that will be just plain ole' jealous. Then there's the ones that'll want to hit on you and be pissed off 'cause they kinda can't. Haters gonna hate - it's what they do.

As far as I can tell (as someone who has aged out of this dilemma) the only way to counter excessive hotness is with down-to-earth warmth and mildly self-deprecating good humor. If you won the genetic lottery and the life lottery (found true love to a presumably rich guy at a young age), do what you can to lessen the insecurities of the mortals...

Reactions: 2 users
Is this too light of a gray?
imageService

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's OK -- Anything lighter would be more for summer/spring. But I think you're fine --

You have no idea how happy that makes me! I love this shade, and it's quite flattering to my skin and hair tones.

Well, I'm just going to wade right into the muck here, but...

If you're very young, perfectly-shaped, beautiful and wear a huge shiny rock, there will be people who will judge you for it and some of them might be on your interview team. Some may assume that you're unintelligent, others that you're not serious about a career, some that will judge that your priorities are likely misplaced, and still others that will be just plain ole' jealous. Then there's the ones that'll want to hit on you and be pissed off 'cause they kinda can't. Haters gonna hate - it's what they do.

As far as I can tell (as someone who has aged out of this dilemma) the only way to counter excessive hotness is with down-to-earth warmth and mildly self-deprecating good humor. If you won the genetic lottery and the life lottery (found true love to a presumably rich guy at a young age), do what you can to lessen the insecurities of the mortals...
It's sad that this is true. Granted, I'm slightly older than most applicants, but I've been told I can still pass for early 20s.

You'd think if a school only interviewed 400-500ish out of 9,000+ applicants, interviewers would know just by default that the people sitting in front of them are serious about medicine, with their priorities in order. How would anyone have a good enough application to even land an interview otherwise? This isn't an easy or simple process.

That being said, I wore my engagement ring and it's not exactly discrete. Just over 1ct, but a very high clarity diamond with eight other high clarity stones in the band. It usually gets a fair amount of attention. I didn't even think for a second about someone judging me for it... maybe I should have. :scared:

It's sad that this is true. Granted, I'm slightly older than most applicants, but I've been told I can still pass for early 20s.

You'd think if a school only interviewed 400-500ish out of 9,000+ applicants, interviewers would know just by default that the people sitting in front of them are serious about medicine, with their priorities in order. How would anyone have a good enough application to even land an interview otherwise? This isn't an easy or simple process.

That being said, I wore my engagement ring and it's not exactly discrete. Just over 1ct, but a very high clarity diamond with eight other high clarity stones in the band. It usually gets a fair amount of attention. I didn't even think for a second about someone judging me for it... maybe I should have. :scared:

Too late to second guess now -- Maybe they thought "Yeah - She's really that good"...
If you're trying to counteract pettiness with logic, you can see how well that's working.

Is this too light of a gray?
imageService

I actually just bought a suit this exact shade. It was way more flattering than a simple black pantsuit, but still helped me keep all my lady curves in a conservative outfit lol I didn't know if it was too light then, but decided to just go with it.

Ugh you guys, I just went to the store to try and find black pants in a more modern tapered fit instead of the huge boot cut flare. That style didn't work at ALL with my body shape. Does anyone have tips or places to go to find pants like this that might work for curvier folks?

Ugh you guys, I just went to the store to try and find black pants in a more modern tapered fit instead of the huge boot cut flare. That style didn't work at ALL with my body shape. Does anyone have tips or places to go to find pants like this that might work for curvier folks?
I got a skirt suit because I found it worked better with a curvier body. It's really tough either way though. I had good luck with the women's section of Dillards/Macy's and found they had pretty standard, classic suits.

So absolutely NO to dark brown suits??? and what about pearls?

So absolutely NO to dark brown suits??? and what about pearls?
Pearls are great.
There's technically nothing wrong with a dark brown suit, it just doesn't read business professional the way navy and charcoal do.

Thank you. Now Im second guessing my choice.
It looked professional to me until I found this thread.)))

I bought it in Europe, its made out of a nice thick non-shiny fabric.
I have green eyes, and the brown color, make them really stand out.
Idk, I don't want to look bland. I believe there is a way to look professional without looking boring.
BUT at the same time, I don't want to compromise my chances.

Idk, I don't want to look bland. I believe there is a way to look professional without looking boring.
BUT at the same time, I don't want to compromise my chances.
Maybe if go more formal with your other choices it could help lend some gravitas to the brown suit: a solid blouse/shell (maybe white?) & wear pearls like you mentioned. You may also want to wear your hair back in a low bun or ponytail if it's long. Just suggestions! Best of luck :)

Maybe if go more formal with your other choices it could help lend some gravitas to the brown suit: a solid blouse/shell (maybe white?) & wear pearls like you mentioned. You may also want to wear your hair back in a low bun or ponytail if it's long. Just suggestions! Best of luck :)
Thank you. I really like your suggestion.
Also someone else mentioned a thrift store. I went to a local one, and found some amazing deals. A brand new looking navy Ann Taylor blazer for 8 dollars kind of deal.

What is the consensus on a suit this color? (assuming the skirt fits appropriately)
Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 6.35.01 PM.png

Reactions: 1 users
How do people feel about Oxford shoes for touring instead of flats?

@DokterMom @gyngyn

Could I get your thoughts on this suit? Is the color too light? I would have preferred to get a black or navy suit, but I got an interview on short notice and this was the only suit I could find that fit me. So I'm stuck with this suit for my first interview at least. And would it also be acceptable to wear to my other interviews? (I would really prefer not to have to buy a second interview suit! My wallet is crying.)

Thanks!

173079301_0156

@DokterMom @gyngyn

Could I get your thoughts on this suit? Is the color too light? I would have preferred to get a black or navy suit, but I got an interview on short notice and this was the only suit I could find that fit me. So I'm stuck with this suit for my first interview at least. And would it also be acceptable to wear to my other interviews? (I would really prefer not to have to buy a second interview suit! My wallet is crying.)

Thanks!

173079301_0156
It looks good to me.

@DokterMom @gyngyn

Thanks!

173079301_0156
Color's nice -- Good luck to you!

Why are women's suits so hard to find :( Macy's had stuff that was way too chunky looking on me (i'm <110lbs), nordstrom was starting point of $800+, and places like express and ann taylor only had ankle cut styles in store, so i'm going to have to order something online.

would these pants work? (the tassels are coming from the shoes, not the pants)
The Straight Leg Pant in Seasonless Stretch - Ann Fit | Ann Taylor

for the matching blazer, i can get a one-button or two-button. does it matter which one i get?

and i was hoping these shoes would be a good option (black or nude with a navy suit?)
Trotters Noelle Pointy Toe Pump (Women) | Nordstrom

Why are women's suits so hard to find :( Macy's had stuff that was way too chunky looking on me (i'm <110lbs), nordstrom was starting point of $800+, and places like express and ann taylor only had ankle cut styles in store, so i'm going to have to order something online.

for the matching blazer, i can get a one-button or two-button. does it matter which one i get?

and i was hoping these shoes would be a good option (black or nude with a navy suit?)

Hahahah those tassels crack me up.

I'm not an expert, but all of those look fine to me, and I don't think the blazer matters.

Any opinions on wearing a turtleneck under the jacket instead of a blouse, seeing as it is winter?

Any opinions on wearing a turtleneck under the jacket instead of a blouse, seeing as it is winter?

A turtleneck would be too casual. A very fine gauge knit and a silk scarf could dress it up, but a blouse would be more appropriate.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I've been searching interview outfit ideas and found this video. Just an idea and some tips.

Would an open heel like this be completely inappropriate?

Louise et Cie Kota Ankle Strap Pump (Women) | Nordstrom

This was the only shoe I could find near me that was black, not patent leather, and a lower height (although on the higher side at 3 inches). To me the ankle strap (or any type of strap) is a must. Apparently my feet does not match up well with industry standards and no heel fits me comfortably without a supportive structure like the strap. In addition, the panty hose causes shoes without a strap to slide off. My interview is in two days! :oops:

Would an open heel like this be completely inappropriate?

Louise et Cie Kota Ankle Strap Pump (Women) | Nordstrom

This was the only shoe I could find near me that was black, not patent leather, and a lower height (although on the higher side at 3 inches). To me the ankle strap (or any type of strap) is a must. Apparently my feet does not match up well with industry standards and no heel fits me comfortably without a supportive structure like the strap. In addition, the panty hose causes shoes without a strap to slide off. My interview is in two days! :oops:

I think these are fine! As long as you can walk in them comfortably. Are you wearing a pantsuit or skirt suit or dress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Express goes down to a 00 and they're relatively cheap!

I checked express but the only pant styles I could find in store were ankle cut and super skinny, which I have been told is a no-no for interviews
Hm I found a boot-cut pant there! Maybe look online!