This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I tore them just putting them on - brand new. I think I was just a little nervous and tugged too hard. I definitely got the right size. Oh well! I'll bring a third pair if I can find one. The hole was covered, but I was very much aware of it all day. I'm thinking I should plan for the worst next time as well.

new.
I would choose the non patent leather as its more appropriate for the occasion

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

None of those look too tall at all. Although I agree that the patent leather is not as professional. I went with Cole Haan Juliana pump, which has a kitten heel. They are super comfortable and came in odd sizes, so I was able to get wide shoes that fit perfectly instead of my usual going up a size. I have heard good things about the Clark pumps as well. If you have a slightly odd size, definitely look into the Cole Haan shoes since they often discount certain sizes.

Last edited:
Is this heel too tall/casual? Really struggling with this portion of my outfit. Note, they are ridiculously comfy.

Sofft Turin

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thanks so much! After skimming some forums I was paranoid I might need to go with a 1 inch heel instead.

Definitely not! You don't need to go 'granny' -- just not 'sexy'.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I'm wondering what your guys' thoughts are on bringing a portfolio?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm wondering what your guys' thoughts are on bringing a portfolio and if it's necessary to bring copies of your CV? I am female and would prefer to bring a purse, but am not sure if a portfolio is better for papers?
Please don't bring copies of your CV, application, or anything else. This isn't a business interview, bringing things like that would be weird.

Does a black and brown bag go with an all black suit?

I think so. As long as the suit is otherwise appropriate, you should stand out in a good way amongst the field of the funeral attire wearing clones.

When I see someone wearing something appropriate but not "the uniform", I automatically think favorably of them and they're easier to remember. This should not mean that you should be wearing a bright purple or red suit but dark gray sounds perfectly appropriate.
I have a suit that is black pants and a white blazer, is that too much?

I have a suit that is black pants and a white blazer, is that too much?
A suit is made of the same fabric in the same color. The white blazer/black pants combo, while it sounds really awesome, would probably not be considered professional enough to be appropriate.

Reactions: 3 users
A suit is made of the same fabric in the same color. The white blazer/black pants combo, while it sounds really awesome, would probably not be considered professional enough to be appropriate.
Thanks. Ive got an interview this Friday and I keep going back and forth about whether I should get a new suit. I probably will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Ive got an interview this Friday and I keep going back and forth about whether I should get a new suit. I probably will.
Congrats on the interview! And good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Attended an interview last month wearing heels like this and I was super uncomfortable walking around in them all day. I have ankle problems as well, which makes wearing slimmer heels harder. Went out and bought another pair. They have stacked heels, but the heels are covered in the same leather material seen on the rest of the shoe.
Any opinions?
IMG_2339.JPG

Attended an interview last month wearing heels like this and I was super uncomfortable walking around in them all day. I have ankle problems as well, which makes wearing slimmer heels harder. Went out and bought another pair. They have stacked heels, but the heels are covered in the same leather material seen on the rest of the shoe.
Any opinions?
View attachment 223999

Not sure on appropriateness of the appearance, but I have found a shorter heel makes a bigger difference in comfort than heel thickness. You might look for a kitten heel so you keep less pressure off the balls of the feet and more on your heels.

Not sure on appropriateness of the appearance, but I have found a shorter heel makes a bigger difference in comfort than heel thickness. You might look for a kitten heel so you keep less pressure off the balls of the feet and more on your heels.

Thanks for the advice! It's more the pressure on my heels I'm worried about because of my ankles. This shoe seemed to distribute the weight more comfortably.
@gyngyn your opinion is very much appreciated!

I see mixed reviews on a portfolio.. Is it necessary to bring one?

I have 2 bag options - one is a brown satchel-like bag (hard leather with good shape) but I'm planning on wearing a navy/black suit so I don't think it would look appropriate with my clothes. This is not the exact same bag, but here is a color and size reference: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6c/a4/dd/...-kors-handbags-outlet-purses-and-handbags.jpg

My other bag is this tory burch one whose logo I can hide but it is a tote so I was unsure if it's too big and would look 'beachy'. I take this with me to school occasionally so it's easy to carry and would fit everything I need, but it's shape is started to get a little less 'rigid' since it is not as hard of a leather as the first one. https://shop.r10s.jp/mb/cabinet/img151/22159802-0220l.jpg

Any opinions on which one would work better?

I have 2 bag options - one is a brown satchel-like bag (hard leather with good shape) but I'm planning on wearing a navy/black suit so I don't think it would look appropriate with my clothes. This is not the exact same bag, but here is a color and size reference: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6c/a4/dd/...-kors-handbags-outlet-purses-and-handbags.jpg

My other bag is this tory burch one whose logo I can hide but it is a tote so I was unsure if it's too big and would look 'beachy'. I take this with me to school occasionally so it's easy to carry and would fit everything I need, but it's shape is started to get a little less 'rigid' since it is not as hard of a leather as the first one. https://shop.r10s.jp/mb/cabinet/img151/22159802-0220l.jpg

I’m currently in a similar dilemma

The logo on the Tory Burch bag is so small I don't think it will matter. I think it's just if you had like an LV or Coach bag that literally has the logo all over it, that would be less professional.

The logo on the Tory Burch bag is so small I don't think it will matter. I think it's just if you had like an LV or Coach bag that literally has the logo all over it, that would be less professional.

Ah, I meant the overall size of the bag was too big, not the logo! Sorry that was miscommunicated

Ah, I meant the overall size of the bag was too big, not the logo! Sorry that was miscommunicated
I have a bag that is very similar to that, but it's a pale pink/blush color. I think the size is fine. I'm planning to bring it to my interviews. It is big enough to slide a folder in and small enough to still be considered a purse.

I'm having a harder time deciding on shoes. It is so hard to find ones that are comfortable but still feel classy. I really don't want to look like I'm wearing my grandmother's shoes.

Last edited:
I have a bag that is very similar to that, but it's a pale pink/blush color. I think the size is fine. I'm planning to bring it to my interviews. It is big enough to slide a folder in and small enough to still be considered a purse.

I'm having a harder time deciding on shoes. It is so hard to find ones that are comfortable but still feel classy. I really don't want to look like I'm wearing my grandmother's shoes.

I've seen a lot of kitten heels on the market recently! Mature but not grandma mature

Thanks for the advice! It's more the pressure on my heels I'm worried about because of my ankles. This shoe seemed to distribute the weight more comfortably.
@gyngyn your opinion is very much appreciated!
Find shoes you can wear with grace that are as close to a pump as possible.
When in doubt err toward the ability walk with grace.

Find shoes you can wear with grace that are as close to a pump as possible.
When in doubt err toward the ability walk with grace.

Thank you! I find those shoes (posted above) quite comfortable, but just to make sure, they would not be appropriate for an interview?

I'm really interested in buying a dress/jacket combo from j crew but I do not show my legs for religious reasons and normally wear completely opaque black tights under dresses. Would this be too casual or inappropriate for med school interview?

Sent to me by a friend for an opinion before she buys it. My own jacket is a tad bit longer, which is why I'm hesitant to say it's OK. The shirt's neckline is obviously too low. She is only considering the suit. Any thoughts?

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

I'm really interested in buying a dress/jacket combo from j crew but I do not show my legs for religious reasons and normally wear completely opaque black tights under dresses. Would this be too casual or inappropriate for med school interview?

This is a tough one. Completely opaque tights with a suit is not a standard professional dress, but your reasons grant you an exception to the standard rules. The problem is just that this outfit is close enough to standard that it will look like a "miss" and not an "exception". Will you be wearing a headscarf? Or any other visible indication that your dress is influenced by your religion?

What about something like a salwar kameez tunic and leggings with a professional jacket? Would something like that be appropriate for someone of your faith? The jacket makes it clear you are willing to conform with professional standards, but the salwar kameez itself says you are religiously observant.

It would help to know what rules you need to follow --

This is a tough one. Completely opaque tights with a suit is not a standard professional dress, but your reasons grant you an exception to the standard rules. The problem is just that this outfit is close enough to standard that it will look like a "miss" and not an "exception". Will you be wearing a headscarf? Or any other visible indication that your dress is influenced by your religion?

What about something like a salwar kameez tunic and leggings with a professional jacket? Would something like that be appropriate for someone of your faith? The jacket makes it clear you are willing to conform with professional standards, but the salwar kameez itself says you are religiously observant.

It would help to know what rules you need to follow --

Ah, I actually don't wear the headscarf or 'traditional' clothing! Usually pantsuits are no problem for me. I really liked the dress suits at j crew and since my interviews are in the northeast during II, I was wondering if I could get away wearing the opaque tights. But to be on the safe side I'll wear a pantsuit. Thanks for your help!

I might be late to the party on this one, but for my other very tall ladies out there, definitely take a look at Alloy:
Alloy Dressy Pants | Alloy Apparel & Accessories

They have inseams up to 39" and were a godsend for me to find. Plus, they run between $30 and $40, so they don't break the bank!

So I re-read the front page of this where attire for snowy days is mentioned-- can someone clarify why wearing something like a down jacket is unprofessional? I have an interview this week and it is supposed to be in the high 20s-low 30s that day. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm from Florida, so this is going to be a drastic weather change for me. I wasn't planning on wearing the jacket around, just to get inside and settled in and then take it off. Like I said, I'm not used to the cold (haven't been in it in years) and get cold very easily, so I really would be most comfortable wearing my down jacket. Any advice?

Edit: Just searched for all posts about coats in this thread, and it seems most people agree that it's not a big deal to wear a "puffy" kind of jacket, especially if you are from a warm place where it's not expected that you would have a large supply of fashionable winter clothes :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Most suits that I see aren't my style and not something that really fits me. I like Zara's suits because they are more trendy, but I'm not sure if they would interview appropriate. Can anyone give me feedback? (Minus the coat of course). The model is wearing a larger size, I'm hoping to tailor it to fit a little less loose.

Attachments

• 8275630700_1_1_1.jpg
    8275630700_1_1_1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 131
  • 8275630700_2_1_1.jpg
    8275630700_2_1_1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 125
Most suits that I see aren't my style and not something that really fits me. I like Zara's suits because they are more trendy, but I'm not sure if they would interview appropriate. Can anyone give me feedback? (Minus the coat of course). The model is wearing a larger size, I'm hoping to tailor it to fit a little less loose.

I would say that crops (and tapered bottoms in general) are not appropriate for the conservative business professional attire that a med school interview requires. The shoes are entirely inappropriate.

I would say that crops (and tapered bottoms in general) are not appropriate for the conservative business professional attire that a med school interview requires. The shoes are entirely inappropriate.
Yeah the shoes would definitely be more traditional. Thanks

Most of us have developed a fairly strong sense of personal fashion and want to translate that to our med school interviews. However, common wisdom mandates that we dress in a way that fits the interview but isn't necessarily our personal style now--or ever. For those of us who are used to expressing ourselves with clothing, it can feel fairly inauthentic to put on a plain suit and shoes. And on top of it all, it's super frustrating to spend money on clothes that we might only wear a few times. But here's the thing...after all we have done to get to this point, it seems crazy to risk a fashion choice for those few hours that may decide whether we become doctors or not.

I have been analyzing my suit/shoes/bag choices too, but finally concluded that if I am questioning whether my choices are appropriate for my interview to the extent that I need feedback, then they probably aren't. It isn't that I don't want to look nice; I do. It's more that i want my words to be what the adcom will remember instead of the cute suit I'm wearing.

That suit from Zara is adorable, but you probably don't want that to be the word your interviewers use to describe you afterward. As soon as med school is over, you can be the most on point doc out there. But you have to get there. Bite the fashion bullet, wear something unquestionably non-controversial and let your personality be what your interviewers remember you for.

Reactions: 5 users
I saw an ice white figure skating catsuit.
I'm reading through threads to make sure I'm not missing anything essential for my II this week... and just saw this. I think I might have busted a rib from laughter. It's fair to say that this post just eased my nerves. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Most of us have developed a fairly strong sense of personal fashion and want to translate that to our med school interviews. However, common wisdom mandates that we dress in a way that fits the interview but isn't necessarily our personal style now--or ever. For those of us who are used to expressing ourselves with clothing, it can feel fairly inauthentic to put on a plain suit and shoes. And on top of it all, it's super frustrating to spend money on clothes that we might only wear a few times. But here's the thing...after all we have done to get to this point, it seems crazy to risk a fashion choice for those few hours that may decide whether we become doctors or not.

I have been analyzing my suit/shoes/bag choices too, but finally concluded that if I am questioning whether my choices are appropriate for my interview to the extent that I need feedback, then they probably aren't. It isn't that I don't want to look nice; I do. It's more that i want my words to be what the adcom will remember instead of the cute suit I'm wearing.

That suit from Zara is adorable, but you probably don't want that to be the word your interviewers use to describe you afterward. As soon as med school is over, you can be the most on point doc out there. But you have to get there. Bite the fashion bullet, wear something unquestionably non-controversial and let your personality be what your interviewers remember you for.

This is exactly on point --

You can stand out in small ways. But be subtle. Play by the rules. Choose a suit in a deep wine, or wear oxblood shoes with your navy suit. Wear a blouse in a jewel tone or with a conservative but high-contrast stripe. Wear an interesting brooch or a necklace that has deep personal meaning. Maybe a gorgeous silk scarf.

But do be realistic about your strength as an applicant and sensitive to the frailties of human biases. If your attire is slightly outside the mean and your overall strength as a candidate is slightly below average or your interviewer doesn't like your attire, your non-conformity will probably work against you. ("She just doesn't seem to fit in here...") But it you're a very strong candidate and your interviewer likes your outfit, it could help you stand out in a positive way. ("Wow! Wish there were more applicants like her")

Reactions: 5 users
Is a cowl neck appropriate? I'm assuming no, but figured I'd ask. There's a shell at Banana Republic that I really like with a cowl neck.

Is a cowl neck appropriate? I'm assuming no, but figured I'd ask. There's a shell at Banana Republic that I really like with a cowl neck.

I've seen some that are, some that aren't. How much extra fabric? Any cleavage? How about if you lean forward? And how does it play with your suit collar?

As @gyngyn notes below -- a boatneck is always good, and a cowl neck that is very close to a boatneck is the best kind.

Last edited:
Thank you both! It doesn't look like a ton of extra fabric, but I need to wear my suit jacket to the store if I want to see how it goes together. No cleavage from trying it on without jacket.

I'm searching for a good, but not terribly pricey, boat-neck shell.

Thank you both! It doesn't look like a ton of extra fabric, but I need to wear my suit jacket to the store if I want to see how it goes together. No cleavage from trying it on without jacket.

I have to say, blouse styles in the stores this year are just weird. I thought once the fall styles were up there would be fewer of those cold shoulder, asymmetrical hem, and oddly styled blouses. Nope, still there! Try a Dillard's, Nordstrom, SteinMart, or similar department store and grab a good clerk to help you find what you want. Tommy Hilfiger has some "twisted neck" blouses that might work Tommy Hilfiger twisted neck blouse usually in stores at Macy's, Kohl's or Nordstrom

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

And Amazon is your friend. Easy to find exactly what you need for a reasonable price. I hear they are improving their returns on clothing to encourage sales.

Blouse styles are certainly odd this year! I've seen quite a few where the neckline would work well, but the peplum or pleats sit weird with my skirt. Thanks for the tips, I'll check those out!

I completely agree that the blouses and shirts out this year are just odd. I was looking for a particular stye of blouse or button down, but eventually went with a very classic white button down no-iron Calvin Klein shirt. It looks crisp and professional, but I definitely won't stand out amid the sea of applicants. Oh well. I'll just have to wow them with my slightly odd appearance and unique personality ;)

Reactions: 3 users
The sheer number of bell-sleeved shirts this year! I mean, I was holding out, waiting for something with sleeves, but now every time I see a neckline that would work, it also has giant bell sleeves.

Reactions: 4 users
The sheer number of bell-sleeved shirts this year! I mean, I was holding out, waiting for something with sleeves, but now every time I see a neckline that would work, it also has giant bell sleeves.

And the weird hemlines and pirate ruffles. I can't tell if some of these are supposed to be dresses!