This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hm I found a boot-cut pant there! Maybe look online!

Thanks, I already got a suit from Ann Taylor :) had to order online as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be fine to wear a pencil skirt that reaches your ankles? I dont wear pants or anything too above the ankle.

Skirt example (excuse the accessories):
fc033c70d5d518407630359c970f3aa3.jpg

pencil-skirt--navy-blue--refka-178851.html

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be fine to wear a pencil skirt that reaches your ankles? I dont wear pants or anything too above the ankle.

Skirt example (excuse the accessories):
fc033c70d5d518407630359c970f3aa3.jpg

Is it for religious reasons? My guess is that most people would assume that a skirt like that would be for religious/cultural reasons, so you would be fine.

Hello everyone, thank you for your help on this topic! After reviewing much of the thread I am having doubts about the pair of shoes I was planning to wear. They are super comfortable, easy to walk in, and give me a bit of height without being true heels - but I'm thinking they may not be formal enough for the occasion. For reference, I will be wearing a charcoal pantsuit. I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments. Cheers! View attachment 227223

That would be a hard no IMO.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks! Looks like I'll be going shoe shopping :)

I ended up getting some Cole Haan kitten heels and they are far more comfortable than I predicted. I think they were the Natalie style and I bought them from Amazon

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I have an interview in Minnesota in January. It's going to be below 10F, and unfortunately I only have skirt suit and can't afford to buy another one. Should I still wear nude/skin colored panty hose? I always thought you wear black ones in the winter, but it said black or opaque ones are considered too casual on here... Also, the only winter coat I got is a heavy duty parka. Would this be too casual? Would most people still wear formal/traditional wool coat in extreme Minnesota winter weather? If @DokterMom or @gyngyn can point me to the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

I have an interview in Minnesota in January. It's going to be below 10F, and unfortunately I only have skirt suit and can't afford to buy another one. Should I still wear nude/skin colored panty hose? I always thought you wear black ones in the winter, but it said black or opaque ones are considered too casual on here... Also, the only winter coat I got is a heavy duty parka. Would this be too casual? Would most people still wear formal/traditional wool coat in extreme Minnesota winter weather? If @DokterMom or @gyngyn can point me to the right direction, I would really appreciate it!
The interviewers won't see the coat, so don't worry about that. I wore a skirt suit in similar weather and wore nude hose. I did buy a slightly heavier grade to be warm. In truth, the buildings are warm, so you don't want to be too layered.

Nude hose! A parka is fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Nude hose is best, not because black is more casual, but because black is seen as more appropriate for evening and can read "sexy". Tights are too casual regardless of color.

Don't buy a winter coat if all you have is a parka. Sure a nice long wool one is nice, but as noted above, no one is really going to see it.

You might consider wearing snow boots or changing into your interview shirt/hose/shoes once you're inside, lest you get snow, dirt etc on your nice interview outfit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would a star-collar, like the attached pictures, be appropriate? The suit color is actually a deep navy blue, not as bright as in the pictures.
Collar_Front.JPG
Suit_Back.JPG

I have two sets of shoes for interviews. One that is a classic low heel are for warmer weather and one set is more of an ankle boot that is also weather proof. I wear either depending on the weather at the interview and I just have a black pant suit with a light/pastel blouse.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thought I'd add what worked for me this cycle interviewing in cold weather! I'm from northern New England so the cold isn't really an issue for me to begin with, so please take what I say with a grain of salt if you're from a warmer state! Here's what I wore:
  • Navy skirt suit from Banana Republic. I have red hair and pale skin, so I went with navy versus black or gray (everyone was wearing black, I wanted to stand out.)
  • White shell from Banana Republic. NO buttons! That is my #1 piece of advice if you have a chest of any sort - no buttons! Go with a neutral shell.
  • Sensible heels as I called them (Rockport 1" heels with memory foam inserts) - I'm 5'6" and didn't want to tower over anyone with tall heels and you end up walking a lot on interviews and I was comfortable the entire time each day! Navy to match my suit but you could easily get black. Worth the investment in my opinion since I'll "grow" into them - my mom loved them so much she bought a pair! So yeah, as I age I'm sure I'll love them more and more.
  • Jewelry: I went with basic gold stud earrings (little knots to be exact) and my hair half-up with a simple gold barrette. I wore a gold solid necklace to one interview but felt very dressed up and left my neck bare for the others.
  • BAG - oh man this was tough, I would recommend a narrow tote that can hold a padfolio or folder. I went with my small Longchamp because I didn't want to spend any more money, and while it was fine, I could have looked more polished. To be honest though, they don't notice and I liked having very little to carry around with me. At one interview I even left it at the front desk because everyone else did and LOVED not having to carry it around! Just make sure you have a pen/paper to write down notes if you want.
  • Jacket (once it got cold) was a gray City Coat from J.Crew Factory Store - I actually went without a jacket until my final interview in December (where I am going next year!) because with nerves I was never really cold enough to warrant dragging a coat around with me. I'd say if it's going to be colder than 40/45, bring a coat.
  • I bought nylons from CVS for each interview! They were maybe $4 each time and I knew I had no runs or tears. I always packed a second backup pair just in case. Did the job and I still use them!
  • No perfume.
  • Makeup was my basic, every day look: NARS radiant creamy concealer under my eyes and spots, light brown brow pencil, Maybelline "The Colossal Big Shot" mascara in brownish black (my go-to for volume and length), peppermint clear chapstick for my lips!
I carried mouthwash in my bag and always had ibuprofen and a snack on hand. Oh and bandaids. Honestly from seeing what people wore and having to dress up a few times, my final piece of advice is this: wear what you're comfortable in and own it. I was usually the only person in a skirt versus pants and I did that on purpose - I feel more confident and professional in a skirt suit. And I felt confident! I loved how I looked and I carried myself well (I think) because of that. Don't settle for what you "should" get because you feel like you need to. Make sure it's appropriate and tasteful and totally YOU and you'll be fine. You're there for an interview, not a fashion show.

Reactions: 6 users
Would a star-collar, like the attached pictures, be appropriate? The suit color is actually a deep navy blue, not as bright as in the pictures.
View attachment 227942 View attachment 227943
I think that's completely in line with what I saw this fall at interviews... I'm not sure I agree that it's not business professional. One girl I saw was wearing a cardigan and dress pants and another wore white strappy heels with a black suit so the bar isn't as high as you think it is. Oh and one girl wore an A-line dress and scarf. She was comfortable and confident and looked presentable. If this is the suit you love and feel your best in, go for it.

I think that's completely in line with what I saw this fall at interviews... I'm not sure I agree that it's not business professional. One girl I saw was wearing a cardigan and dress pants and another wore white strappy heels with a black suit so the bar isn't as high as you think it is. Oh and one girl wore an A-line dress and scarf. She was comfortable and confident and looked presentable. If this is the suit you love and feel your best in, go for it.
I love the look of the suit, but will be returning it. @gyngyn states it's not business professional. It's important for me to be in full professional attire, and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think I've seen this mentioned on here, but I just wanted to mention that H&M has a shockingly large selection of business clothes. I had no idea until I walked in today, and they had at least 8 different suit options as well as blouses. They're totally decent quality and very, very affordable (sub $100 for a full suit). I wish I had known that before I spent significantly more on my suit, so I would definitely suggest checking it out if you're still looking!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

I love the look of the suit, but will be returning it. @gyngyn states it's not business professional. It's important for me to be in full professional attire, and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I'd call that suit 'close' to business professional but a bit on the fashion side. If it were perfectly accessorized I think it could certainly work. But even a small misstep with shell, shoes, bag or jewelry could turn the whole look into a 'miss' -- which would not happen with a traditionally-cut suit. That makes it a high-risk suit that I wouldn't recommend for a woman who hasn't been out in the professional world for more than 5 years.

I have no doubt that this is true. Many college students and very young adults really have no idea how to dress professionally - or more accurately, high-level professionally. Cardigan-gal probably wore the best she had or was advised by a well-meaning parent that she was a college student and would not be expected to look like she wasn't. Well-meaning, but bad advice. Not sure what strappy-heels gal was thinking but black suit means black shoes. Sensible black shoes with closed toes. Period.

AdComs are looking for reasons why you wouldn't be an excellent choice. Minimize your risk of giving them ;)

Reactions: 6 users

Many college students and very young adults really have no idea how to dress professionally - or more accurately, high-level professionally. Cardigan-gal probably wore the best she had or was advised by a well-meaning parent that she was a college student and would not be expected to look like she wasn't. Well-meaning, but bad advice. Not sure what strappy-heels gal was thinking but black suit means black shoes. Sensible black shoes with closed toes. Period.

You know, after reading this thread was was both disappointed and relieved that I didn't see too many egregious faux pas on the interview trail this cycle...don't know if I was just there on lucky, well-dressed days or what. The worst I saw was some kind of black strappy shoes with a black suit.

upload_2018-3-1_21-35-21.png
upload_2018-3-1_21-35-59.png
upload_2018-3-1_21-36-16.png
upload_2018-3-1_21-37-4.png
upload_2018-3-1_21-44-14.png

I also have the same bag in black (if that would look better, not exactly sure about that), but I am not sure what color shoes I will be going with just yet. The kind I found on the DSW website has a bunch of options. I will be wearing small pearl studs along with my hair in a low bun if that makes a difference. Thoughts? @DokterMom ? Thanks to everyone in advance :)

View attachment 229979 View attachment 229980 View attachment 229981 View attachment 229982 View attachment 229984

I also have the same bag in black (if that would look better, not exactly sure about that), but I am not sure what color shoes I will be going with just yet. The kind I found on the DSW website has a bunch of options. I will be wearing small pearl studs along with my hair in a low bun if that makes a difference. Thoughts? @DokterMom ? Thanks to everyone in advance :)

You chose perfectly! For what it’s worth, I used a similar style bag that’s a pale pink... maybe a shade lighter than your shirt above, and it was fine. The color you chose above matches better than black, so I’d stick with it. On the shoes... if it were me, I’d choose navy or a darker brown. The lighter ones could work too, but if it rains or is muddy you’ll wish you’d gone with a color that shows less wear. Good luck!

A few comments and caveats --
  • I'm assuming the slacks and jacket are the exact same fabric/maker? If they are, then that's just right. If not, that would almost certainly be a "near miss".
  • I can't really tell if they're navy or black. Navy would be slightly better, but for women, black is fine.
  • The shirt is a classic and the color is very nice. For your interview, it should be worn tucked in. And do make sure it doesn't gape at the bust when you move - that style is prone to do that.
  • For your bag and shoes -- In a perfect world, they'll match each other and either match or be slightly darker than your suit. For this reason, I'd go with the black. The grey is attractive, but lighter than your suit. Black will be boring, but safe, and no one will criticize you for a boring interview suit. That bag is very nice and simple assuming it's medium to medium-large in size. If it could double as a beach tote (doesn't appear so) it's too big.
Good luck on your interview and let us know how it turns out!

Reactions: 2 users
@DokterMom thanks for such a quick reply :) The suit is navy but it is a very dark shade. I'm not too blessed in the chest department so that will remain a non-issue :laugh:
So even with the navy suit you'd still go with black shoes and a black bag?
I will post a picture of everything together when I can!

@DokterMom thanks for such a quick reply :) The suit is navy but it is a very dark shade. I'm not too blessed in the chest department so that will remain a non-issue :laugh:
So even with the navy suit you'd still go with black shoes and a black bag?
I will post a picture of everything together when I can!

Black would be safest and is easy to do.

Cordovan/wine or a 'perfectly-matching' navy would be most elegant and best in a perfect world. But good luck finding the perfect shade of navy shoes and bag to match your suit. Most navy blues have either purple or teal undertones that can vary with the light even, so matching is exceedingly difficult to do unless you have both tons of time and piles of money to throw at the issue.

For cordovan/wine/burgundy though Etienne Aigner makes both shoes and bags that are well made and relatively easy to find, and both have a ready second-hand market on eBay if that's something you would consider.

Black would be safest and is easy to do.

Cordovan/wine or a 'perfectly-matching' navy would be most elegant and best in a perfect world. But good luck finding the perfect shade of navy shoes and bag to match your suit. Most navy blues have either purple or teal undertones that can vary with the light even, so matching is exceedingly difficult to do unless you have both tons of time and piles of money to throw at the issue.

For cordovan/wine/burgundy though Etienne Aigner makes both shoes and bags that are well made and relatively easy to find, and both have a ready second-hand market on eBay if that's something you would consider.
Something like this with something like this?
upload_2018-3-2_17-13-6.png
upload_2018-3-2_17-13-59.png

Thank goodness for all of the advice on here. Fashion is not my forte!

Very nice! If you've already got the black though, really, it's perfectly fine.

@DokterMom @gyngyn I think I have found something even better...
I really liked the way this suit fit and I felt so confident in it! Is the suit dark enough? Still OK for the black shoes and bag? Should I get less shiny shoes to better match the bag? Also, I was kind of weirded out by the belt loops on these pants. Do I need to wear a belt since my shirt will be tucked in? Thanks!

upload_2018-3-3_15-9-24.png
upload_2018-3-3_15-11-23.png

@gyngyn I haven't seen one of your "what not to wear" posts this interview season, any outstanding outfits to share? :p
This year they were so identifiable that I was hesitant to post for fear of doxxing myself!
As the cycle draws to a close, I may be able to post some high(low?)lights, though...

Reactions: 3 users
This year they were so identifiable that I was hesitant to post for fear of doxxing myself!
As the cycle draws to a close, I may be able to post some high(low?)lights, though...

Surely everything pales in comparison to the ice skating leotard...

I would watch this show on TLC!

Still OK for the black shoes and bag? Should I get less shiny shoes to better match the bag? Also, I was kind of weirded out by the belt loops on these pants. Do I need to wear a belt since my shirt will be tucked in? Thanks!
Black shoes and bag would be fine with that suit, but the usual advice is that the shiny patent leather shoes are not ideal, and a more matte pair is better (like the second pair in your post). I'm sure you could wear a belt if you wanted but I don't think anyone would expect you to wear one. Plus your jacket will cover your waist most/all of the time you're there, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Black shoes and bag would be fine with that suit, but the usual advice is that the shiny patent leather shoes are not ideal, and a more matte pair is better (like the second pair in your post). I'm sure you could wear a belt if you wanted but I don't think anyone would expect you to wear one. Plus your jacket will cover your waist most/all of the time you're there, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Awesome! Thanks for your reply. I figured a belt would look out of place, but who am I to decide? I didn't even know what color shoes to wear with a navy suit :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

realized I might have posted on an older thread about interviewing. anyone here wear a scarf? any tips on how it should be styled? should it be made to cover blazer/not cover?

Yes - completely inappropriate.

What you could do though is wear medical booties -- the kind you wear after foot surgery. Have a minor procedure done so you won't be lying and make a self-deprecating comment about how you can't wait to get those things off!

More pro-actively though -- While you can get away with that trick for the interview, for real life you will need decent, presentable shoes that your feet are OK with. If you haven't been to a podiatrist, schedule an appointment and get some good shoes that work for your feet and don't make you look like a clown.

My bony-ass feet prone to bunions and blisters will literally not agree with any kind of flats or high heels made to squeeze my feet into oblivion. Is it totally unacceptable to wear Doc Martens to a med school interview, if I have a clean pant suit on top (and if the shoes are blindingly clean)?
Try "Hotter" shoes, British shoe company you can order online. Their regular shoes are wider than normal American shoes and their Wide shoes are ridiculously wide.

Is it totally unacceptable to wear Doc Martens to a med school interview, if I have a clean pant suit on top (and if the shoes are blindingly clean)?
Doc Martens are not business professional.
This will go onto the (long) list of sentences I never considered typing before!

Reactions: 7 users
My bony-ass feet prone to bunions and blisters will literally not agree with any kind of flats or high heels made to squeeze my feet into oblivion. Is it totally unacceptable to wear Doc Martens to a med school interview, if I have a clean pant suit on top (and if the shoes are blindingly clean)?
If you can wear Doc Marten's with no issues, then surely there are plenty of other shoes out there you can wear. You just haven't found them yet.

Is there a consensus about pant suits vs skirt suits?

Also, what kind of blazer (one button, double-breasted, etc) is recommended for those with larger chests?

Also, what kind of blazer (one button, double-breasted, etc) is recommended for those with larger chests?
I did skirt suit because I couldn't find pants, but I was definitely in the minority at most of my interview days.

If you are more comfortable with a pant suit, it seems very common.

For pant suit vs skirt suit just pick what's more comfortable for you.

For large chested women, avoid double breasted suits--it'll just make you look wider (and its a little odd). Go for a two or three button if you can find it as it will help smooth out the line of the jacket. A one button will emphasize the waist/bust.

For people who swear up and down they can't wear dress shoes bc of their horrible, medical marvel feet, check out the healthy feet store online and others that focus on orthopedic/orthotic shoes. They have orthotic shoes that come in like 7 different widths and I can promise you'll find some pair that will work for you. I've had multiple foot/ankle surgeries and I was able to find shoes that are professional and comfortable. (Also if your feet really are so terrible that they can't wear any type of shoe, please see a doctor if you can/haven't. Your feet are important)