This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I think your assesment is accurate. Professionalism is important, but safety and practicality are more important. A med school interview is a unique situation where you have your professional clothes for inside, but there is a outdoor tour of the campus as part of the interview day, meaning you will need outerwear.

Also, are logos that big of a deal? I bought this very nice, small purse on Blackfriday as a treat, bc I literally keep purses for like five years so splurging on a nice one makes sense. Its an MK purse, and the logo is printed all over it. Is that a deal breaker? Here it is, pictured below. Hand for scale.
Definitely! As for the purse, I would say that printed ones might not be as "professional" for interview purposes (although it is a really cute purse!). I personally bought a cheap black tote bag on Amazon that was medium sized because I wanted to fit a water bottle, folder given by the school, my notebook, and random other things like a mini lint roller/mints/snacks. But I do think the target bag posted above me is nice as well, just a little small for my liking! Definitely recommend checking out Target/TJ Max/Marshall's if you live near them! Based on my observations, I think black purses are the most popular, with brown/blush-colored ones being less common.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
So , Im browsing lady's formalwear right now, and it seems like most/all dress pants and blazers are made of polyster ( some are made of acetate fabric, which I hear is softer). I hate polyester, polyester denim is my kryptonite. Are the dress pants that uncomfortable for those of you with sensitive skin? I know that if I get looser pants it wont be the same things as fitted jeans, and that denim made with polyester is the worst relative to other ways to blend it.
Is polyester blended with rylon/nylon softer than when it's blended with cotton? Don't wanna be itchy all over on interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
So , Im browsing lady's formalwear right now, and it seems like most/all dress pants and blazers are made of polyster ( some are made of acetate fabric, which I hear is softer). I hate polyester, polyester denim is my kryptonite. Are the dress pants that uncomfortable for those of you with sensitive skin? I know that if I get looser pants it wont be the same things as fitted jeans, and that denim made with polyester is the worst relative to other ways to blend it.
Is polyester blended with rylon/nylon softer than when it's blended with cotton? Don't wanna be itchy all over on interview day.
Why have you waited until now to get an interview outfit ?

Reactions: 1 user
Why have you waited until now to get an interview outfit ?
Dont have one for another month? Got the invite just before Christmas shopping and the malls being crowded/ out of stock on a lot of things. Also wanted to focus on work/school and finishing the semester. Wasn't gonna buy an outfit I may not need.
Can you give me comfy suggestions, Doc?

Last edited:
Dont have one for another month? Got the invite just before Christmas shopping and the malls being crowded/ out of stock on a lot of things. Also wanted to focus on work/school and finishing the semester. Wasn't gonna buy an outfit I may not need.
Can you give me comfy suggestions, Doc?
You just need to go try things on and see what suits you. Your signature line says you are a hijabi so you could wear your traditional dress?

Last edited:
You just need to go try things on and see what suits you. Your signature line says you are a hijab so you could wear your traditional dress?
Mm, shalwar kameez is not as professional as a suit. And it seems the standard is totally formal business wear.
I'll figure it out when I try stuff on, I guess. I could always wear a cotton shirt/cotton leggings underneath if all else fails.

Hi everyone,
I have really sensitive skin and I found that the best solution was to find suit pants that can be machine or hand washed (not dry cleaned) because the dry cleaning chemicals and chemicals left on fabrics after manufacturing are the WORST.

Yays and nays? 100% cotton pale blue pinstriped shirt with a navy pantsuit.
1577046422919.png
1577046487739.png

Yes. does it look weird if i dont?
I think it looks fine either way- I've seen blazers open or closed. Cotton shirts under a blazer are must for that SCRATCHY fabric. I think the pinstripes look like a nice, professional pattern.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it looks fine either way- I've seen blazers open or closed. Cotton shirts under a blazer are must for that SCRATCHY fabric. I think the pinstripes look like a nice, professional pattern.

Thanks, the fabric actually doesn't bother me at all!

Women don't have to keep their jacket buttoned, but it should button without visible strain.

Okay good to know! It conveniently does. My first suit ever and I was lucky to run into a worker that guessed my size and essentially picked out the suit for me :p

• Love
Hi everyone,

I LOVE Express. They can be a little pricey but they have great sales if you keep an eye out! The columnist pants are super comfy and breathable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Would these pants be okay with a blazer? Its this ryon spandex blend that I find so comfy. I feel like Tuxedo pants are sort of nuetral-ish, but can be find with a button down top and a nice blazer.

Would these pants be okay with a blazer? Its this ryon spandex blend that I find so comfy. I feel like Tuxedo pants are sort of nuetral-ish, but can be find with a button down top and a nice blazer.

These do not look like suit pants. You really, really want a full suit. I would also avoid tuxedo style pants with that stripe down the side - stick to a solid color.

Reactions: 2 users
These do not look like suit pants. You really, really want a full suit. I would also avoid tuxedo style pants with that stripe down the side - stick to a solid color.
Point taken. Im having a super hard time finding dress pants with a cotton blend. ( As opposed to poly blend) bc my skin is so sensitive. Im headed to Nordstrom today.

So I got this today:
(excuse the messy changing room) For now these feel fine.
Is there anything wrong with lady's pencil skirt suits ( with the mid-calf length skirts) ? Or are pants the holy grail?

Attachments

• 4CA49E04-93CE-4C83-9232-D5FC93B7CEE8.jpeg
    4CA49E04-93CE-4C83-9232-D5FC93B7CEE8.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
So I got this today:
Is there anything wrong with lady's pencil skirt suits ( with the mid-calf length skirts) ? Or are pants the holy grail?

Do the sleeves on that jacket roll down? pencil skirt suits should be fine. For the future, if you have fabric sensitivity issues, are there any thin leggings/tights you can wear comfortably? If so, you might try wearing those underneath suit pants of a less ideal fabric, if you can't find other options. Wouldn't be a good solution for warm climates but for winter it could serve the double duty of keeping you warm and preventing skin issues.

I was thinking of that! I have teo pairs of flesh toned, cotton leggings. I don't they would add much warmth, and should be fine if I need them.
Im looking for other suits with trouser pants ( loose enough to not touch my skin, like the poly blend scrubs I wear to work), or ones that have more rylon/cotton and less poly. Still shopping but I have a working solution, for now. I've only ever needed business casual clothes, and the wrong set of clothes can feel like wearing sandpaper if your skin is sensitive enough. And yeah the sleeves roll down and are the right length forgot to show that.
I'll figure something out- there have to be other ladies with skin sensitivity ( polyester is uncomfy relative to most other fabrics for everybody) who need formal clothes.
Edit:
So, for anybody else who is like me-
I did some digging on women's dress clothes, and it turns out unlined poly- suit pants are actually unlined, to accommodate wearing full/half-length leggings underneath,and that a good half or so of women that wear suits to work every day. By wearing tights you're basically " lining" them yourself. If you're worried about being too hot half length leggings ( it's really just the thighs where you need the extra layer bc you feel the fabric) are an option.
Do the sleeves on that jacket roll down? pencil skirt suits should be fine. For the future, if you have fabric sensitivity issues, are there any thin leggings/tights you can wear comfortably? If so, you might try wearing those underneath suit pants of a less ideal fabric, if you can't find other options. Wouldn't be a good solution for warm climates but for winter it could serve the double duty of keeping you warm and preventing skin issues.

Last edited:
What footwear recommendations do y’all have for schools that give longer walking tours & are in areas subject to inclement weather? (e.g. Colorado, OHSU.) I would prefer not to switch shoes midday, if at all possible.

Many women have asked about flats and the trouble is, it's really, really, really hard to find appropriate interview flats. Most are FAR too casual.

So today I'm wasting time cruising on eBay and found the perfect interview flats. If you're an 8.5 M and need flats. buy them. If not, here's what they're supposed to look like:

Appropriate flats
s-l1600.jpg

Many women have asked about flats and the trouble is, it's really, really, really hard to find appropriate interview flats. Most are FAR too casual.

So today I'm wasting time cruising on eBay and found the perfect interview flats. If you're an 8.5 M and need flats. buy them. If not, here's what they're supposed to look like:

Appropriate flats
s-l1600.jpg
Is...isn't casual what you want? I know this a business attire event, but overly fancy shoes actually feel more fashionable than practical/ business-y? Walking outside in the snow/ice can be a reality this time of year.

Is...isn't casual what you want? I know this a business attire event, but overly fancy shoes actually feel more fashionable than practical/ business-y? Walking outside in the snow/ice can be a reality this time of year.

If you’re going to be wearing flats *in your interview* then they need to be dressy, like the above example.

If you need to have flats for the tour, then wear anything black (or coordinating) and presentable. On my tours, I put on a pair of black faux suede flats from H&M that I could roll up and throw in my bag when done. Others wore Rothys or simple loafer-type flats for the walking around portions of the day.

If you’re going to be wearing flats *in your interview* then they need to be dressy, like the above example.

If you need to have flats for the tour, then wear anything black (or coordinating) and presentable. On my tours, I put on a pair of black faux suede flats from H&M that I could roll up and throw in my bag when done. Others wore Rothys or simple loafer-type flats for the walking around portions of the day.

+1, wore heels for my interviews. Brought a pair of black loafers that I kept in my purse for any walking portions of my interview days.

As an aside, this thread has been monumentally helpful. I have noticed so many subtle "faux pas" that I don't think I would have even noticed before this thread. SO MANY NUDE HEELS AND BALLET FLATS.

As an aside, this thread has been monumentally helpful. I have noticed so many subtle "faux pas" that I don't think I would have even noticed before this thread. SO MANY NUDE HEELS AND BALLET FLATS.

To be honest, most of this advice in this thread skews very conservative - which is generally a good thing, I think. But it also means that most of the other women you’ll meet on your interview day will be committing at least one “SDN faux pas” like big totes, casual/sporty outerwear (e.g. North Face puffers), nude heels, plain/non-dressy flats, etc. At one interview, it seemed that every woman other than me was wearing trendy ankle-length trousers. I don’t think all these women are getting auto rejected.

Like anything else in this process, you should be aiming to minimize risk by making the safest choices possible, but don’t lose sleep over wearing a casual parka from the parking lot to the admissions building because you can’t afford a formal wool overcoat.

To be honest, most of this advice in this thread skews very conservative - which is generally a good thing, I think. But it also means that most of the other women you’ll meet on your interview day will be committing at least one “SDN faux pas” like big totes, casual/sporty outerwear (e.g. North Face puffers), nude heels, plain/non-dressy flats, etc. At one interview, it seemed that every woman other than me was wearing trendy ankle-length trousers. I don’t think all these women are getting auto rejected.

Like anything else in this process, you should be aiming to minimize risk by making the safest choices possible, but don’t lose sleep over the fact that you had to wear a casual parka from the parking lot to the admissions building because you couldn’t afford a formal wool overcoat.
Definitely important to point out! I myself just stuck with my regular winter jacket because I didn’t want to buy a whole new coat.

Like anything else in this process, you should be aiming to minimize risk by making the safest choices possible, but don’t lose sleep over wearing a casual parka from the parking lot to the admissions building because you can’t afford a formal wool overcoat.
This thread is helpful, but also a little over-the-top in an almost anxiety inducing way. Like, ofc good shoes are important, but I'm pretty sure the interviewer will be spending more time looking at my face than my feet...

Will post a pic of my planned shoes when I get home.

Im pretty sure many of the women I see on the Big Day will have a nice , professional dress and a blazer instead of a suit, and won't be auto-rejected. Guess I'll have to wait and see haha.

I plan on wearing a Navy suit, a blush top, and a cream-colored Hijab ( don't have a pure white or blush colored one). Is that " too many colors"? Hijab coordination is tough. My shoes are black since white/Navy shoes are hard to come by. I could do a cream top if blush will make me too colorful.
edit: I have some dermatitis on my face that's flaring up rn. If it flares up the day of the interview, I don't need to worry about it being "unprofessional" , right? Like its literally just a skin issue on my face? I try to cover it with councelor but it can only do so much.

Last edited:
I plan on wearing a Navy suit, a blush top, and a cream-colored Hijab ( don't have a pure white or blush colored one). Is that " too many colors"? Hijab coordination is tough. My shoes are black since white/Navy shoes are hard to come by. I could do a cream top if blush will make me too colorful.
would recommend keeping it down to two colors if you can. I wore a gray suit with a gray/light floral hijab and got in somewhere. I don't think it matters too much but a lot of colors can just seem mismatched depending on the shades. probably don't need to overthink if it looks fine to you.

I also wore flats similar to what was shown above but less pointy toes lmao.

skin issues shouldn't be a concern. conceal as much as u can/want but you should be fine..it happens

This thread is helpful, but also a little over-the-top in an almost anxiety inducing way. Like, ofc good shoes are important, but I'm pretty sure the interviewer will be spending more time looking at my face than my feet...

Will post a pic of my planned shoes when I get home.

Im pretty sure many of the women I see on the Big Day will have a nice , professional dress and a blazer instead of a suit, and won't be auto-rejected. Guess I'll have to wait and see haha.

edit: I have some dermatitis on my face that's flaring up rn. If it flares up the day of the interview, I don't need to worry about it being "unprofessional" , right? Like its literally just a skin issue on my face? I try to cover it with councelor but it can only do so much.

I like the idea of a cream shell with your cream hijab and a navy suit. I think that will look more sleeker and more polished from a continuity perspective. If your hijab and shell are different colors and your suit is a third color, it could break up the “flow” of the outfit if that makes sense.

I like the idea of a cream shell with your cream hijab and a navy suit. I think that will look more sleeker and more polished from a continuity perspective. If your hijab and shell are different colors and your suit is a third color, it could break up the “flow” of the outfit if that makes sense.
I was thinking you would say that, but also though there would be a flow from cream-blush-navy since blush is so close to cream but I see what you mean. Will buy a cream one. I way also afraid I would struggle to find a cream one ( lots of shells are pure white), in which case I may "have" to get blush.

So I got this today:

The suit's fine --

As to your fabric sensitivities -- Look for very thin silk knit 'long underwear'. I don't remember exactly what they're called, but they're made of real silk and are thin and washable. Try 'silk leggings' or 'silk pants liners' --

And for what it's worth, unlined polyester pants are unlined as a cost-saving measure, not something special designed for folks with sensitive skin. As such, they are more likely to be poorly made...

This is probably a good time for us all to remember that the advice given here by seasoned members of the admissions community (and friends @DokterMom!) are intended to reduce anxiety (not increase it). Though no one is going to be rejected for their flats, the goal is to project a confident professional appearance. Doing so shows good judgement, attention to detail, preparation and an appreciation for the magnitude of the situation. Where can you get that much mileage of of any other aspect of the process?
For medicine, you need a conservative uniform (essentially). It is a uniform many have no experience with. That is why we are all here pitching for you. As long as the basics are in order, applicants who present as women have a bit more latitude with things like the color of their shell (blouse) and the height of their heel.
Later in the cycle I will give you a compilation of some extreme "don'ts" from this cycle and you will see what I mean by judgement issues...

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
What footwear recommendations do y’all have for schools that give longer walking tours & are in areas subject to inclement weather? (e.g. Colorado, OHSU.) I would prefer not to switch shoes midday, if at all possible.
This was something I REALLY wanted to avoid too. The idea of changing shoes during an interview day just weirded me out and seemed really unprofessional. I ended up wearing dressy black loafers.

• Love
I was thinking you would say that, but also though there would be a flow from cream-blush-navy since blush is so close to cream but I see what you mean. Will buy a cream one. I way also afraid I would struggle to find a cream one ( lots of shells are pure white), in which case I may "have" to get blush.

I found a really pretty silk blend cream shell at Ann Taylor, if that helps.

This was something I REALLY wanted to avoid too. The idea of changing shoes during an interview day just weirded me out and seemed really unprofessional. I ended up wearing dressy black loafers.

Yes! I'm so glad I'm not alone in thinking this. Publicly baring my feet in order to change shoes is NOT the move I'm going for, nor do I want to hide in a bathroom stall to make the swap. And thanks for your input! Dressier loafers with a slight heel are certainly a strong contender at this point.

This is probably a good time for us all to remember that the advice given here by seasoned members of the admissions community (and friends @DokterMom!) are intended to reduce anxiety (not increase it). Though no one is going to be rejected for their flats, the goal is to project a confident professional appearance. Doing so shows good judgement, attention to detail, preparation and an appreciation for the magnitude of the situation. Where can you get that much mileage of of any other aspect of the process?
For medicine, you need a conservative uniform (essentially). It is a uniform many have no experience with. That is why we are all here pitching for you. As long as the basics are in order, applicants who present as women have a bit more latitude with things like the color of their shell (blouse) and the height of their heel.
Later in the cycle I will give you a compilation of some extreme "don'ts" from this cycle and you will see what I mean by judgement issues...

I think it's helpful for premeds, especially those without much/any professional experience, to avoid getting wrapped around the axle about the advice here. We all need to keep in mind that it's about the overall picture of the candidate. Maybe it would help to think about interview outfits like this:

A good interview outfit: This is the starting point/bare minimum for any professional interview. Your clothing is inoffensive, you're wearing a jacket and pants/skirt that match in a neutral color, your accessories hit all the check boxes (closed-toe shoes, neutral colors), nothing flashy or tacky. You are clean and presentable (brushed hair, no wild makeup or jewelry). Perhaps your outfit tailoring and materials aren't the best quality, but you don't look sloppy or disheveled. Perhaps there's something a little inadvisable about your outfit - maybe your shoes are too casual, you forgot to take out your nose stud, you're wearing nail polish that's too dark/weird, or something fits a little funny, but nothing that's an automatic dealbreaker for an otherwise good candidate. You look pretty good.

A better interview outfit: All of the elements of a "good" outfit, with better tailoring/quality and no "mistakes". You look really good.

The best interview outfit: All of the elements of a "better" outfit, but with the best materials/tailoring you can afford, high quality pieces, and your hair and makeup (if wearing) is impeccable. You're put a lot of thought into wearing the most flattering colors and cuts for your body, and you're heeding all the kind advice you've received from SDN. You look amazing.

I come from a corporate background, and I’ve seen my fair share of women’s professional wear. Most candidates will range from "good" to "better." I would hire people who fell in the "good" category all the time. But the true superstar candidates I've seen tend to fall in the "better" to "best" categories. Their confidence and polish are evident not only in their outfit, but in the way they carry themselves as well (one begets the other, after all).

@gyngyn, @DokterMom and all the other generous professionals in this thread are providing "best" interview outfit advice - the gold standard for women's professional wear. Medical school interviewees would do well to follow this advice to the best of their ability, but if they fall a little short in one aspect or another, it's not worth losing sleep over or letting it affect interview performance.

Reactions: 9 users
How about pumps?
Loafers are not ideal for anyone (including men and gender-fluid).

OHSU/Colorado both have fairly lengthy walking tours (see original post) and as much as I love wearing heels, the idea of walking in them for an hour or longer in the rain/snow in no way appeals to me.

These were the "loafers" I was thinking of — really more flats than drivers or penny loafers, but I take your point. Thanks for the feedback!

446439_001_ss_01.jpeg

OHSU/Colorado both have fairly lengthy walking tours (see original post) and as much as I love wearing heels, the idea of walking in them for an hour or longer in the rain/snow in no way appeals to me.

These were the "loafers" I was thinking of — really more flats than drivers or penny loafers, but I take your point. Thanks for the feedback!

View attachment 291520
I can live with these.

Thats what I mean! It seems more professional to just wear one pair of practical shoes even if they aren't so stylish. I seriously feel like we're partially judged on practicality and fashion.

View attachment 291520
I wore a pair that were similar to these...
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.28.24 PM.png

View attachment 291520
I think these look nice. Heels are great if they're your thing, but they definitely aren't required for a professional appearance.

I think it's helpful for premeds, especially those without much/any professional experience, to avoid getting wrapped around the axle about the advice here. We all need to keep in mind that it's about the overall picture of the candidate. Maybe it would help to think about interview outfits like this:

A good interview outfit: This is the starting point/bare minimum for any professional interview. Your clothing is inoffensive, you're wearing a jacket and pants/skirt that match in a neutral color, your accessories hit all the check boxes (closed-toe shoes, neutral colors), nothing flashy or tacky. You are clean and presentable (brushed hair, no wild makeup or jewelry). Perhaps your outfit tailoring and materials aren't the best quality, but you don't look sloppy or disheveled. Perhaps there's something a little inadvisable about your outfit - maybe your shoes are too casual, you forgot to take out your nose stud, you're wearing nail polish that's too dark/weird, or something fits a little funny, but nothing that's an automatic dealbreaker for an otherwise good candidate. You look pretty good.

A better interview outfit: All of the elements of a "good" outfit, with better tailoring/quality and no "mistakes". You look really good.

The best interview outfit: All of the elements of a "better" outfit, but with the best materials/tailoring you can afford, high quality pieces, and your hair and makeup (if wearing) is impeccable. You're put a lot of thought into wearing the most flattering colors and cuts for your body, and you're heeding all the kind advice you've received from SDN. You look amazing.

I come from a corporate background, and I’ve seen my fair share of women’s professional wear. Most candidates will range from "good" to "better." I would hire people who fell in the "good" category all the time. But the true superstar candidates I've seen tend to fall in the "better" to "best" categories. Their confidence and polish are evident not only in their outfit, but in the way they carry themselves as well (one begets the other, after all).

@gyngyn, @DokterMom and all the other generous professionals in this thread are providing "best" interview outfit advice - the gold standard for women's professional wear. Medical school interviewees would do well to follow this advice to the best of their ability, but if they fall a little short in one aspect or another, it's not worth losing sleep over or letting it affect interview performance.

Honestly, THANK YOU. I've been reading this thread for so long and thinking, "Wow, everyone is so intense. I can't wear patent heels?" Please go for overall picture. Well tailored suit with weird shoes vs. frumpy, perfectly neutral suit and pumps? I'm going with the chick with weird shoes and the better suit. But it's really an overall picture. Please don't panic just because your bag has a one inch Kate Spade logo.

Agree with others that this advice is meant to be gold standard, but you can get away with not meeting every aspect. I left my non-standard piercing in, wore suede heels, had a large purse. Little details are likely to be fine, if they work with your overall look and you wear them with confidence.

I will push back on a few things major things though, that I think are actually important - pretty much every person on any of my interviews (and the interviews I've seen come through my med school) regardless of gender, was wearing a full suit (or had done some excellent shopping magic to make a suit out of separate pieces). It's possible this varies regionally, but that was my experience at interviews on both coasts. There were different cuts, colors, styles, price levels - all of that is fine! There are people rocking thrift store suits and brooks brothers suits right next to each other with the same confidence. But the small number of people I've seen who didn't wear the full suit (completely mismatched pieces, no jacket, etc) stood out and it looked like it affected their confidence. This is why I really, really recommend doing your best to find a proper suit. (Plus, a suit is a useful investment for future conferences, interviews, etc)

Reactions: 3 users
any major opinions on lapel pins. I graduated from an all girls boarding school and have a lapel pin that is very sentimental to me. It's plain silver and seems to go unnoticed when I wear it day to day in my corporate life (unless I meet another woman who graduated from the same school). Worried about coming off as pretentious though.

any major opinions on lapel pins. I graduated from an all girls boarding school and have a lapel pin that is very sentimental to me. It's plain silver and seems to go unnoticed when I wear it day to day in my corporate life (unless I meet another woman who graduated from the same school). Worried about coming off as pretentious though.
When in doubt, leave it out.