This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any major opinions on lapel pins. I graduated from an all girls boarding school and have a lapel pin that is very sentimental to me. It's plain silver and seems to go unnoticed when I wear it day to day in my corporate life (unless I meet another woman who graduated from the same school). Worried about coming off as pretentious though.
When in doubt, leave it out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Hmm
The suit's fine --

As to your fabric sensitivities -- Look for very thin silk knit 'long underwear'. I don't remember exactly what they're called, but they're made of real silk and are thin and washable. Try 'silk leggings' or 'silk pants liners' --

And for what it's worth, unlined polyester pants are unlined as a cost-saving measure, not something special designed for folks with sensitive skin. As such, they are more likely to be poorly made...
I actually decided to give Ann Taylor another shot ( I went to one right after Christmas and they were out of everything). I have the receipt on this suit.
I am already used to cotton full/half-length leggings ( it's really only the thigh where it's needed), but I may give the silk ones a go. Thanks.

Oh haha, my last statement was poorly worded. I meant that since they are unlined, it is more easy for anyone with sensitive skin to wear legwear underneath than it would be for pants that already have a lining. Apparently that is the fix for women with sensitive skin- legwear underneath. I was like " I can't be the only woman with this issue."

What is the consensus on lighter color suits? Like Ivory or Khaki colored? those are still true neutral but do they look less professional?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I used Ann Taylor when I received a gift card for my birthday (from someone who knew I needed a suit soon LOL). I am also not tall so it had a suit I did not need to taylor before I wore, which ultimately saved me a lot of money. I have a nice pair of flats I wear the whole time and do not change. I know I am short already, but comfort to a degree won out on that one HAHAHA

Reactions: 1 users
Here are my shoes: Some may say a little too casual, but they are practical for walking out in the snow in New England. They are comfy, sleek, and wearable, and will match a dark suit nicely.
Edit: They have sort of a fold in the front , like these leather bands that make a nice pattern but I couldn't make that visible in the pic.

Attachments

• 4FC0810C-0A1A-4302-9074-A2B2D93CFF57.jpeg
    4FC0810C-0A1A-4302-9074-A2B2D93CFF57.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 717DE50F-1EBC-4B92-BB51-48C8670DDB1F.jpeg
    717DE50F-1EBC-4B92-BB51-48C8670DDB1F.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 207
Here are my shoes: Some may say a little too casual, but they are practical for walking out in the snow in New England. They are comfy, sleek, and wearable, and will match a dark suit nicely.
Edit: They have sort of a fold in the front , like these leather bands that make a nice pattern but I couldn't make that visible in the pic.

From what I have seen at my interviews, those are actually not too casual! I have seen a variety of styles. Black matches so they will not draw attention in a negative way. They also look comfortable. I have spent a considerable amount of time in New England in my life and like you said, certain shoes just wont work there with the snow

• Love
From what I have seen at my interviews, those are actually not too casual! I have seen a variety of styles. Black matches so they will not draw attention in a negative way. They also look comfortable. I have spent a considerable amount of time in New England in my life and like you said, certain shoes just wont work there with the snow
Exactly! I think they will notice more if I break my ankle, am wincing in pain because heels are uncomfy, than if my shoes are a little plain. I'm 99 percent sure they'll spend more time looking at my face.

Exactly! I think they will notice more if I break my ankle, am wincing in pain because heels are uncomfy, than if my shoes are a little plain. I'm 99 percent sure they'll spend more time looking at my face.

I was actually just at an interview today where the person running the MMI goes to us, "ladies, please do not break your ankles at today's interview" as we walked down the hallway :lol:

• Love
I was actually just at an interview today where the person running the MMI goes to us, "ladies, please do not break your ankles at today's interview" as we walked down the hallway :lol:
It's an auto-reject :rofl:

• Haha

I think it's worth noting that "formal" and "fancy" are not the same thing. Much better to be plain and polished (and confident) than fancy and gaudy. The shoes you posted are pretty much in line with what many recommend

Reactions: 3 users
What is the consensus on lighter color suits? Like Ivory or Khaki colored? those are still true neutral but do they look less professional?
Dark navy or charcoal are the preferred suit colors for business professional. For women, black is also acceptable.

Are suede black shoes really looked down upon? As compared to regular leather?

Are suede black shoes really looked down upon? As compared to regular leather?
Not sure about if looked down upon but leather is easier to make water proof/water resistant, esp if black. Suede can be a bit of a mess if it’s wet out or you walk in rain. The water or snow will cling to the fabric more.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about if looked down upon but leather is easier to make water proof/water resistant, esp if black. Suede can be a bit of a mess if it’s wet out or you walk in rain. The water or snow will cling to the fabric more.
Ohhh good point didn’t even think about that! My interview is in Chicago and it’s currently snowing there so will definitely have to find a leather shoe hahaha

I'll be applying this coming cycle and I just thought of something. Earlier in this thread the recommendation was to wear your hair in a style where you won't touch it once it's done - for me, that's a bun. However, I have a tattoo behind each ear. Should I find a way to do a half-up, half-down style, buy some tattoo coverup, or just leave it as-is (if I'm so lucky as to get an interview invite this year)?

I'll be applying this coming cycle and I just thought of something. Earlier in this thread the recommendation was to wear your hair in a style where you won't touch it once it's done - for me, that's a bun. However, I have a tattoo behind each ear. Should I find a way to do a half-up, half-down style, buy some tattoo coverup, or just leave it as-is (if I'm so lucky as to get an interview invite this year)?

i had my hair fully down in all my interviews this season and i don’t think it’s held me back

i had my hair fully down in all my interviews this season and i don’t think it’s held me back

Thanks! I'm not sure I'd be able to do that - I'm extraordinarily fidgetyand tend to play with my hair when it's down... noticeably. My hair is also very, very long and quite fine, so it knots very easily. During the course of a normal workday, I usually end up brushing it at least three times to stay presentable.

I think some cover up will do the trick if you’re more comfortable with your hair fully up :)

Thanks! I'm not sure I'd be able to do that - I'm extraordinarily fidgetyand tend to play with my hair when it's down... noticeably. My hair is also very, very long and quite fine, so it knots very easily. During the course of a normal workday, I usually end up brushing it at least three times to stay presentable.

half up half down could be great!
a bun or even a neat ponytail could be nice as well. I’ve seen a range of hair styles at schools. A style that is presentable, not distracting, and neat is the main thing.

If you wanted to do either, that probably works, and if you want it down you can always use bobby pins to hold it away from the front of your face. Also, for what it's worth, I kept in all my piercings and it wasn't an issue! Same with make up. I like to keep my personality in there as much as possible.

Hi! Sorry for digging up an old thread but I had a question about suit pants. I've gained a little weight over quarantine and my dress pants that used to fit well now "smile" a little bit, where there are some visible creases in the crotch area. It's not super noticeable and it's not uncomfortable to wear standing or sitting, but it's still there. I know it's a moot point for virtual interviews, but has anyone dealt with the issue of pants looking like they don't fit super well? Torn between just exercising the weight off vs buying a new pair of pants, haha.

Last edited:
Be comfortable. Buy new pants!

buy new pants, but keep the old pants around just in case you change weight in the future!

Would this dress be appropriate to wear with a suit jacket? I originally wanted to wear a black pant suit with a light blue blouse, but now I might opt for a dress suit for my interview since I'm traveling to an area with hotter climate. I intend to use the same jacket but just switch everything else out for the dress. Is the darker green too inappropriate? I wanted to go for green since the rest of my accessories are black, but I am also looking at the black version too.

Would this dress be appropriate to wear with a suit jacket? I originally wanted to wear a black pant suit with a light blue blouse, but now I might opt for a dress suit for my interview since I'm traveling to an area with hotter climate. I intend to use the same jacket but just switch everything else out for the dress. Is the darker green too inappropriate? I wanted to go for green since the rest of my accessories are black, but I am also looking at the black version too.

Yes, though it would be awfully homogeneous with a matching jacket...

Better the green than black on black. No professionalism issues with that color choice or cut, provided you have a jacket to cover up that it is sleeveless. Although that will probably be OK to take off during lunch if you need to, or if walking around a lot outside in the heat. Otherwise you should have your jacket on, and being sleeveless ONLY during those short periods is largely acceptable. Pay attention to the atmosphere you are in though, there are places so conservative I might never be caught sleeveless even for a moment.

I personally would wear nylons with the dress, not even in a pantsuit do I show any bare ankle.

With a dark jacket, it might look drab. I’d suggest adding a statement necklace or a bright scarf.

Can you guys give me an advice on the dresses? Which one is better? Or would a blazer and skirt suit be better than a dress?
3AE173DB-EB5C-499F-9197-416509D40E2C.jpeg
FBE29337-335B-48FA-A202-ADEC4D0359B6.jpeg

Top dress is not formal enough for interviews. Bottom dress is fine, although I would suggest wearing it with a jacket or at least a structured cardigan.

Top dress is not formal enough for interviews. Bottom dress is fine, although I would suggest wearing it with a jacket or at least a structured cardigan.
Would the same color jacket be better or a different color so it's not too blend or dark?

Are female interviewers highly critical of what female applicants wear? I just ask because when i was in residency I was part of recruitment and I had no idea of what was in style/what was considered matching and what not for females (im a male), so the thought never occurred to me. I wonder if the female interviewers were more critical. The process seems so stressful

Are female interviewers highly critical of what female applicants wear? I just ask because when i was in residency I was part of recruitment and I had no idea of what was in style/what was considered matching and what not for females (im a male), so the thought never occurred to me. I wonder if the female interviewers were more critical. The process seems so stressful
What one chooses to wear is a type of situational judgement test.
The "rules" are standardized so that it shouldn't be stressful. Style is relatively unimportant as business professional attire changes very little over time.
I have seen no predilection for any gender or sex to scrutinize more than another.

How flexible are the colors? Would a dark emerald green or chocolate brown suit color work?

How flexible are the colors? Would a dark emerald green or chocolate brown suit color work?
The place to use color is the shell (blouse).
You can't go wrong with a navy or dark gray suit. Women may wear black (unlike men) since there are so few suit resources for them.

I just got my first II for an August interview. I wanted to check on jewelry to see if any of these would be appropriate.
All 3 of these are my everyday jewelry pieces, especially my watch, so I hope they'll work for interview day. I'm planning to wear a black sheath dress suit and follow all of the other guidelines. I would appreciate any advice about jewelry.

Earrings: Ellen Huggie Earrings in 18k Gold Vermeil | Kendra Scott
Necklace: Cross Pendant Necklace in Gold | Kendra Scott
Watch: Not my picture. The strap on my watch is a good bit darker because of wear.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 86
I just got my first II for an August interview. I wanted to check on jewelry to see if any of these would be appropriate.
All 3 of these are my everyday jewelry pieces, especially my watch, so I hope they'll work for interview day. I'm planning to wear a black sheath dress suit and follow all of the other guidelines. I would appreciate any advice about jewelry.

Earrings: Ellen Huggie Earrings in 18k Gold Vermeil | Kendra Scott
Necklace: Cross Pendant Necklace in Gold | Kendra Scott
Watch: Not my picture. The strap on my watch is a good bit darker because of wear.
Earrings should not drop below the inferior edge of the lobe (this is a standard in hospitals where I have worked).
Religious symbols should be kept private (except, perhaps, when interviewing at a school run by a religious order).
The watch is fine!

Last edited:
Earrings should not drop below the inferior edge of the lobe (this is a standard in most hospitals).
Religious symbols should be kept private (except, perhaps, when interviewing at a school run by a religious order).
The watch is fine!

Thank you! I'll start looking for studs and skip my necklace on interview day.

I would not be as strict about earrings at an interview as one would be in a clinical or military setting. I wear drop earrings to most of my interviews (as the interviewer) and I would find small hoops to be completely acceptable in an interview setting.

I also do not believe that one must keep one's religious jewelry hidden (this is not France!) and the same would go for head coverings. I think that we have to trust that medical schools and their interviewers are trained to leave their biases at the door. We don't ask people to scrub their work/activities of any religious engagement so the cat may be out of the bag, anyway.

I hope @gyngyn is not harshly judging applicants who wear religious jewelry.

I hope @gyngyn is not harshly judging applicants who wear religious jewelry.
I give my best advice to minimize implicit bias that might be an impediment to our members applying to schools less cognizant than mine.

Last edited:
I think the jewelry is fine. It’s okay to express a little individuality in the interview.

Both are fine. I like the top one.