words of wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majik1213

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here it goes:

8VR,10PS,11BS, writing sample: T
3.73 undergrad GPA
>1200 hours of volunteering as a National Ski Patroller (clinical)
3 papers in line for publication on orthopaedic surgery for a professor at uPenn medical college
-crew varsity athlete
-best buddies - social outreach program for mentally "special" adults
-Calculus TA, physics tutor, physics grader
-lifeguard
-won some award for top performance in general chemistry freshman year .. phi beta something

if you have an application like this, timing is still important. I didn't complete all the required parts of my application until OCTOBER 17th, 2007. Also, I applied to a measly 6 schools, all the ones in PA, where I reside, and here is what happened:

uPitt rejection

PSU, Drexel interview invite

Jefferson, uPenn, Temple haven't said as much as a word; I have no clue if they know I'm even alive anymore. I should email them, or poke them on facebook to remind them I still breathe.

words of wisdom:
apply early, get high MCAT scores, and back them with good GPA and STELLAR extracurriculars. You need ALL of these to do well in the application process. The admissions committes aren't looking for your strengths; they're seeking you weaknesses. You have to be a jack of all trades.

I really think that if I had applied early I would have gotten an interview at Temple by now: I heard that many kids who are getting interview invites are also getting them from Drexel and PSU. As for Jefferson, well, I just don't know. I think uPitt would have rejected me no matter what, and uPenn would probably have cycled my application into the black hole that is the rolling admissions process (they cycle your applications, so each cycle it comes up, they say, accept, reject, or re-cycle .. that re-cycle is an empty land and it sucks.)

on another note, are there any encouraging words from people who got in, but applied late?? I really am hoping I get in. I'd HATE having to retake the MCATs!!!

Members don't see this ad.