This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ViennaSausage42

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm 16. I'm Junior in High school at the moment. In February, I plan on talking to a recruiter and joining the Army National Guard through the Split Enlistment Program (go to boot camp the summer of junior year come back for senior year then leave again for job training and come back in time for college). Right now, I'm taking a 2-year high school program for Dental Assisting. I'll come out of high school as a D.A. I plan on going to college, I don't really know which colleges yet because my GPA is 2.94/B-. I could probably get into NSU(most definitely), Hampton University, or ODU. After college, I want to go to dental school then I'd want to specialize in orthodontics. The only reason I'm going military is for the benefits and the retirement plan, plus it's a 25k sign-on bonus, if you tell them you want to be apart of the Dental Corp. National Guard is like a state level military, their only called upon during riots and crisis, it's like a "part-time job". One day, I hope to open my own practice. I was wondering if this plan would work out and if there is any advice you could give me

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm 16. I'm Junior in High school at the moment. In February, I plan on talking to a recruiter and joining the Army National Guard through the Split Enlistment Program (go to boot camp the summer of junior year come back for senior year then leave again for job training and come back in time for college). Right now, I'm taking a 2-year high school program for Dental Assisting. I'll come out of high school as a D.A. I plan on going to college, I don't really know which colleges yet because my GPA is 2.94/B-. I could probably get into NSU(most definitely), Hampton University, or ODU. After college, I want to go to dental school then I'd want to specialize in orthodontics. The only reason I'm going military is for the benefits and the retirement plan, plus it's a 25k sign-on bonus, if you tell them you want to be apart of the Dental Corp. National Guard is like a state level military, their only called upon during riots and crisis, it's like a "part-time job". One day, I hope to open my own practice. I was wondering if this plan would work out and if there is any advice you could give me

You are far and away from applying. And not everyone can get into orthodontics. You'd have to see how you perform in college and dental school against the cream of the crop. And the benefits and retirement plan the national guard offers is nothing when you work as an ortho. If you want to do dental then go to college and apply to dental school and join the military as part of the HSPS.