2009-2010 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if your essay wasn't about cura personalis, i think you did something wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet the other 20% get all the interviews ;)
haha seriously...i actually wrote like 5 sentances on cura personalis just to touch base...then i spent the next 2 paragraphs on other reasons as to why i love g town. Figured id touch all bases that way :p. It was recommended to me that I do not focus too heavily on cura personalis.

I'm probably just going to add in somewhere that "oh and of course, one cannot discuss Georgetown without mentioning cura personalis..." If you admit that it's cliche, it takes the edge off, haha.

do you guys have a problem with the preview and your essay showing up as 1 big paragraph?

got an email stating that i'm complete. who's playing the waiting game with me?

Members don't see this ad :)
My email said they had my application materials and that another email would be sent when the file was "complete"

All of them have been in since the middle of May
I got my complete email shortly after that email, i wouldnt worry too much, remember this is the school that gets like the 2nd most apps in the nation.

hey elijah, seems like we're applying to a lot of the same schools and we're both CA residents. hope to see you on the interview trail!

yeah, my second email was received like 2 minutes after the first one.

hey elijah, seems like we're applying to a lot of the same schools and we're both CA residents. hope to see you on the interview trail!
i think all cali residents apply to mostly the same schools:laugh:. but good luck im sure ill end up seeing a few of the cali residents on here. Hopefully we all get into a UC!!:p

if your essay wasn't about cura personalis, i think you did something wrong.

You know, i was just looking back at my essay from last year when I applied. I made no mention of cura personalis in my essay, and was interviewed and accepted. But I discovered at my interview that Gtown wasn't for me.

I think that in retrospect, I realize that if your essay isn't about cura personalis, gtown may not be the right place for you.

You know, i was just looking back at my essay from last year when I applied. I made no mention of cura personalis in my essay, and was interviewed and accepted. But I discovered at my interview that Gtown wasn't for me.

I think that in retrospect, I realize that if your essay isn't about cura personalis, gtown may not be the right place for you.

I don't know if that is necessarily true. Georgetown's interview day wasn't centered around cura personalis and I didn't feel like their medical education was that much different from the standard. But in the end, i also didn't think georgetown was for me :p

When did you guys get secondaries for GTown? I turned in my primaries 12 days ago, haven't been verified yet though. I got 2 other secondaries, but not one from here :-(

When did you guys get secondaries for GTown? I turned in my primaries 12 days ago, haven't been verified yet though. I got 2 other secondaries, but not one from here :-(

Got it last week.

how is cura personalis so different from a typical altruistic definition of medicine?

i'm not writing about it in my essay for sure cuz that's the obvious route clearly. even if you talk about the same thing, being trite is meh.

but i'm just curious because of "I think that in retrospect, I realize that if your essay isn't about cura personalis, gtown may not be the right place for you."

i don't understand the relevance

cura personalis is a jesuit concept of treating the whole person, and not just the disease. altruism is more about selflessness.

so, altruism does not necessarily equal cura personalis.

I'm not going to smoke my own sausage on this one... I'm going to go out on a limb and explicitely state that I won't talk about those subjects :)

anyone else having trouble paying right now?

ive been having trouble paying with credit card too...and it seems some other poeple are having the same problem...this sucks!

it keeps saying 'server error'

I haven't even started this one yet. It's my last secondary to do and writing 5000 characters is a lot. Should I talk about cura personalis or mention religion?

I haven't even started this one yet. It's my last secondary to do and writing 5000 characters is a lot. Should I talk about cura personalis or mention religion?

last of all secondaries? niiice i still have a while to catch up and there is no way i am reaching 5000 characters here, but its a max so i think its ok if you use less than that!

as for the religious-ness i would like to know too :)

Being a Catholic, I'm glad I don't have to worry about religious affiliations of these Jesuit schools.

I just typed up my response to their prompt on Word and it told me I was at around 4900 characters (with spaces), but when I entered it into the Gtown app it says I have 5700 characters. I've double-checked and their estimate seems to be waaay off, but I don't want to certify if they're going to chop off some of my essay. Is this happening to anyone else? Pretty weeeiird, hope it doesn't mean my Word is wrong.
this happened to me as well, in word my characters with spaces is 4,796 but on the georgetown application it says 9193... not sure what is going on.

this happened to me as well, in word my characters with spaces is 4,796 but on the georgetown application it says 9193... not sure what is going on.
I think their counter is wrong cause i copied and pasted way short paragraphs in there and it still gave me an outrageous character count... do you think i should submit my essay anyways

Paste into notepad (TextEdit works in OSX), then paste into your browser... you'll like the results :thumbup:

still error message on the payment site....i've been trying to submit this for like three days now.

I got the secondary on 7/8/2009, submitted on 7/14/2008, but have yet to hear if I'm complete or not. I know, I know, it's only been a few days since I submitted, but it totally feels like forever.

Finally, got the complete email. It took about two days after I got my last LOR in.

I just got my complete email too. I submitted on 7/15 and received the complete email today 7/21 :D

Sent! Most expensive one so far :( If you want to read a unique intro to their essay, PM me

Last edited:
Sent! Most expensive one so far :( If you want to read a unique intro to their essay, PM me

I make it a point not to even think about the application anymore once I submit. It just makes me angry when I figure out that I messed up on something.

I make it a point not to even think about the application anymore once I submit. It just makes me angry when I figure out that I messed up on something.

This. I only check my status.

Status
Not open for further replies.