2009-2010 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm filling out the application and having trouble deciding if a summer research position at my university for which I receive a stipend is an employment or an extracurricular activity.

Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm filling out the application and having trouble deciding if a summer research position at my university for which I receive a stipend is an employment or an extracurricular activity.

Anyone know?

Does it really matter that much? List it as what you feel it is described best as. I would say this. If the stipend is more for personal expenses than it is paid. If it is completely for research expenses, I would say extracurricular.

Thanks for the reply. Another question:

During the school year I work about 15 hours/week in the lab. During the summer I work about 30-40 hours/week in the same lab. Should I list the two activities separately or as one and the same and just use a weighted average of the two hours/week?

Members don't see this ad :)

During the school year I work about 15 hours/week in the lab. During the summer I work about 30-40 hours/week in the same lab. Should I list the two activities separately or as one and the same and just use a weighted average of the two hours/week?

If you do the same thing, I'd list them together.

Tough one... it almost looks better to list it together because the time frame would be longer. I have always personally be a fan of listing things I have done for a long time rather than a bunch of little things that I have done. You could always call and ask :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I have an idea:

I'll list them as a single entry and in the hours/week field I'll put something like: 10-35.

I'll call them and ask tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I have an idea:

I'll list them as a single entry and in the hours/week field I'll put something like: 10-35.

I'll call them and ask tomorrow.

I don't think there is enough space to write 10-35 lol. Not sure.

There is, it worked.

Oh nice! Back in the day, when I had applied, it limited the number to 4 digits. I guess they believed no one could commit more than 9,999 hours to anything :)

I don't like this whole "Effective Start Date" and "Effective Stop Date" business. For the email address portion, if you plan to keep your email FOREVER, then what are y'all putting for the "Effective Stop Date"

Same goes for the employment section. What are you doing if you're currently holding a job and don't know when it will end?

Petty questions, I know, but here's a bigger one:

For the essay question about what areas of medicine you're interested in, how much do these schools really expect us to know about our future?? I know I want to practice and specialize, but other than that, I just have a vague idea of what areas I'm interested in (I'm relying on med school to really show me my path). Is it appropriate to talk about the areas I like, but to also say that I really don't know exactly what I want to do yet?
^^This also applies to other schools (NYU, Stanford, UCLA, etc.) that ask these types of questions^^

Just want to confirm that the If Applicable/Majority question is for URM. Is this true? Or does this apply to anyone not caucasian? haha

They print "not in the majority" and people automatically start thinking about race, ethnicity, ahh the word *minority*....must be for URMS then, you think ------> Bullmalarky, I say!:laugh: ...*geez*...lol...I guess it's to be expected but this is Johns Hopkins guys!!! We gotta think outside of generalities of the word *minority* as it relates to not being in the majority....it's not just relevant to race and ethnicity anymore, folks.

Culturally, have you ever been in the minority? (Having volunteered in a free clinic downtown, I have oodles of experience with this.)

Ethically, have you ever been in the minority? (We've all been to college, I can think of about ten off the bat where I was at odds with the so called "majority".)

Hope this helps at least one person and hopefully no one left this question blank or gave a generic, monochromatic response....:eek:

I don't like this whole "Effective Start Date" and "Effective Stop Date" business. For the email address portion, if you plan to keep your email FOREVER, then what are y'all putting for the "Effective Stop Date"

Same goes for the employment section. What are you doing if you're currently holding a job and don't know when it will end?

Petty questions, I know, but here's a bigger one:

For the essay question about what areas of medicine you're interested in, how much do these schools really expect us to know about our future?? I know I want to practice and specialize, but other than that, I just have a vague idea of what areas I'm interested in (I'm relying on med school to really show me my path). Is it appropriate to talk about the areas I like, but to also say that I really don't know exactly what I want to do yet?
^^This also applies to other schools (NYU, Stanford, UCLA, etc.) that ask these types of questions^^

As far as the specialty stuff, I just wrote about what I think may interest me. It's not binding of course. I'm sure the schools don't expect us to be positive so saying that you are unsure now would be perfectly acceptable.

What is the payment voucher they want us to mail? Is it just the payment receipt?*

*Yes, it is, in case anyone besides me was wondering.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
spacer.gif
List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college:
This space is limited to 600 characters. Please type directly in this box or, you can create your essays in a word processor and then cut and paste your response into the essay box. Please do not use tabs or hard returns.

i feel really silly asking this, but what is a "hard" return? :oops:

and, are most of you just listing your honors/awards with a brief description? (i would think that writing them out in essay format would be a waste of valuable space)

spacer.gif
List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college:
This space is limited to 600 characters. Please type directly in this box or, you can create your essays in a word processor and then cut and paste your response into the essay box. Please do not use tabs or hard returns.

i feel really silly asking this, but what is a "hard" return? :oops:

and, are most of you just listing your honors/awards with a brief description? (i would think that writing them out in essay format would be a waste of valuable space)

Hard return = pressing enter to start a new line.

A return is when a word processor starts a new line. Soft return is when a word won't fit on the line above so it goes on the next. Hard return is when you force the word processor to start a new line.

I just listed, no descriptions.

Hard return = pressing enter to start a new line.

A return is when a word processor starts a new line. Soft return is when a word won't fit on the line above so it goes on the next. Hard return is when you force the word processor to start a new line.

I just listed, no descriptions.

Thanks so much! I appreciate it! :)

In anybody having trouble accessing the website? It always seems to time out on me.

for the reward question, is this like ucla in that you can use an award from high school?

for the 24 semester unit humanities requirement, will JHU count community college transfer credits?

for the reward question, is this like ucla in that you can use an award from high school?

it'd probably be better to do something more recent, but if the high school award is big time/has a really cool story behind it i'd say go for it

where do we mail the printed secondary to?

is it:

Committee on Admission
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Admissions Office
Broadway Research Building
733 N. Broadway, Suite G49, Baltimore, MD 21205-2196

where do we mail the printed secondary to?

is it:

Committee on Admission
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Admissions Office
Broadway Research Building
733 N. Broadway, Suite G49, Baltimore, MD 21205-2196

This is where I sent it...

nvm

Last edited:
nvm

Last edited:
This is more of a book-keeping question: Both JHU and Columbia use the apply-yourself system. I've created separate PIN accounts for both, which prompted JHU to say "duplicate account? you sure about this" but I did it anyways. Should we use the same PIN number account for both applications, or do separate ones like I did?

I noticed that you can visit the different login pages (the one for Columbia vs the one for JHU) and login with the same pin, getting a Columbia app for Columbia login page, and the JHU app for the JHU login page.

No, you need a different PIN for each application. It won't work if it's the same pin. Make sure you log out and restart the browser between the two apps, or it may give you weird errors.

This is more of a book-keeping question: Both JHU and Columbia use the apply-yourself system. I've created separate PIN accounts for both, which prompted JHU to say "duplicate account? you sure about this" but I did it anyways. Should we use the same PIN number account for both applications, or do separate ones like I did?

I noticed that you can visit the different login pages (the one for Columbia vs the one for JHU) and login with the same pin, getting a Columbia app for Columbia login page, and the JHU app for the JHU login page.

i used the same pin for both, no problems.

anyone have any idea what they use the printed secondary app for?

i used the same pin for both, no problems.

anyone have any idea what they use the printed secondary app for?

I used the same PIN as well. JHU tells you to do this when you click on their secondary link:

"If you already have an ApplyYourself PIN from another school, you can use that same PIN to access our application. Please note that if you create multiple accounts this may result in our office having an inaccurate record of the status of your application."

It doesn't seem like it'll be THAT big of a deal if you make separate accounts though.

are there JHU and Columbia status pages?

My application is ready to submit but my AMCAS hasn't been verified yet so I don't have my AMCAS gpas yet to put on the application. I know they won't look at my application until my AMCAS is verified but I want to go ahead and send it in. Should I wait for this?

My application is ready to submit but my AMCAS hasn't been verified yet so I don't have my AMCAS gpas yet to put on the application. I know they won't look at my application until my AMCAS is verified but I want to go ahead and send it in. Should I wait for this?

You are welcome to submit before verification.

But what should I put for my gpas on the application?

You should know your own cGPA and sGPA. If you don't for any reason, search for the calculators here on SDN. They can compute it for you.

Or just wait for verification - it makes no difference. You can see how far you are from verification based on the Official 2009-2010 Verification thread on SDN, in case you haven't been following that.

You should know your own cGPA and sGPA. If you don't for any reason, search for the calculators here on SDN. They can compute it for you.

Or just wait for verification - it makes no difference. You can see how far you are from verification based on the Official 2009-2010 Verification thread on SDN, in case you haven't been following that.

Ok thanks! Thats what I was planning on doing but I just wanted to get someone else's opinion.

Submitted yestarday! And now the wait begins....

I used the same PIN as well. JHU tells you to do this when you click on their secondary link:

"If you already have an ApplyYourself PIN from another school, you can use that same PIN to access our application. Please note that if you create multiple accounts this may result in our office having an inaccurate record of the status of your application."

It doesn't seem like it'll be THAT big of a deal if you make separate accounts though.

Yes, I use the same PIN as well. I forget which other school I'm working on uses the applyyourself pin - but it recommends you keep the same one... so I did.

But i do agree with the other poster that don't try to have 2 web sessions open for two different schools using the same pin. That could cause some wonky problems. Other than that, I haven't had any issues. Yet anyway.

Eh, what the heck - submitted and mail.

I mean, I don't have much of a chance here, but JHU fits my career goals. :)

hey guys,

for the essay question on the areas of medicine that interests you, do you think they are asking for a career path (like academic medicine, private practice) or a specific area of medicine (like cardiology or pediatrics)

Thanks!

Thanks for the insights. I guess I'll just use those separate PINs then.

I guess they may have changed their system? I had issues with the one pin on two different applications that used this system last year. But, yeah I would still be careful about making sure to logout of one application before logging into the next one.

Dear SAM32:

We have received your secondary application. You will be notified if any items are needed to complete your application. We will send an e-mail when your application is complete and ready for review by the Committee on Admission.

Thank you.

Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Office of Admission

Got the same message as SAM32 just now.

This is what mine says, was the email you got in response to the e-app or the paper version? I submitted my online app a while ago but haven't gotten around to mailing the paper version because I don't have my passport size photo yet.

Dear TrueBelief,

Thank you for submitting your on-line application to the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Please remember that you must print the application in pdf format and mail a printed copy to the Admissions Office along with your photo and application fee if you have not paid on-line with a credit card or e-check. Secondary applications will not be processed until we have received your verified AMCAS application and a printed pdf version of your secondary application.

We look forward to receiving your application!

Johns Hopkins University
School of Medicine

I just got the complete email as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.