2018-2019 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you took a gap year: 700 char box describing activities

If you took time off *during* undergrad: 700 char box describing why / what you did

600 chars for academic honors and awards.

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application.
This space is limited to 900 characters. Please type directly in this box or, you can create your essays in a word processor and then cut and paste your response into the essay box. Please do not use tabs or hard returns.

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment.
This space is limited to 1100 characters. Please type directly in this box or, you can create your essays in a word processor and then cut and paste your response into the essay box. Please do not use tabs or hard returns.

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician.
This space is limited to 900 characters. Please type directly in this box or, you can create your essays in a word processor and then cut and paste your response into the essay box. Please do not use tabs or hard returns.

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?
This space is limited to 1100 characters. Please type directly in this box or, you can create your essays in a word processor and then cut and paste your response into the essay box. Please do not use tabs or hard returns.

The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it.

MSTP:

Please list your area(s) of interest in graduate study. These may be general and/or specific: (270 chars)

If you are planning to defer admission: 180 chars to explain why.

Foreign language proficiency

List names of ppl writing MD/PhD letters for you.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone received the link for the secondary application yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any reason they are making us restate our activities...?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick plug to follow/stalk the JHUSOM Adcom on FB; they usually post updates regarding applications, interviews, acceptance waves, and waitlist movement.

Greetings Everyone,

The first group of acknowledgements, with a link to the Hopkins secondary application, were sent to verified AMCAS applicants from whom an application was received by July 9. More acknowledgements will be sent weekly and application reviews will begin later this month and will continue through February. Please note that the deadline to receive the AMCAS application is October 15 and November 1 for the Hopkins secondary application.
The Admissions Office

I don't have the prompts, but historically there's been very little change. And yes, you will have to restate some aspects of you app. (I promise we're worth it).

Does JHU not have a portal? Like where we can monitor if they got our LOR and if we are complete?

Does JHU not have a portal? Like where we can monitor if they got our LOR and if we are complete?

There's a portal! Or at least there was last year! It doesn't let you see LOR and stuff, but it shows if you've submitted your application and it's where the application decision will be posted. If you've submitted everything correctly through AMCAS, they'll receive it!

They send the secondaries in batches, but they don't screen. So everyone will eventually get one!

Also, I'm starting here in a few weeks (and I'm insanely excited about it), so if you have any questions that I might be able to help with, let me know!

Ahhhh why the complete rehash of AMCAS?

Also, I'm starting here in a few weeks (and I'm insanely excited about it), so if you have any questions that I might be able to help with, let me know!

Do you mind sharing why you chose JHU over other top tiers? I assume you had some great choices and something in particular drew you in here?

Thanks!

@Matthew9Thirtyfive

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application.

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment.

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician.

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?

The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it.

Reactions: 2 users
Some of these questions feel redundant because I am a minority. Now I will have to finesse an answer for these.

They also pretty much make you reinput your entire amcas application... Not sure why they felt the need to do that.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, but under academic awards/honors is anyone thinking of including publications? Not sure if I should or not, but since it seems like they want AMCAS "highlights" I thought maybe it would be good to include in addition to like Dean's List, etc. Also, for employment experiences they give so many slots are people putting all of their part-time jobs?? I've been employed every day since I turned 15, which I think influenced my academic career quite a bit, but I'm unsure if it is worth mentioning 4 years at Dunkin' Donuts lol :)

I’m guessing. I also only listed the two jobs I put on my primary. I’m not listing all the jobs I’ve had over the last 18 years.

yah ill use the "other experiences section" for the nonpaid stuff. Just felt weird separating out my research like that

yah ill use the "other experiences section" for the nonpaid stuff. Just felt weird separating out my research like that

I didn’t see a spot for research. Are you putting it in the volunteer and community service section? Or the extracurriculars? I have research on my primary, but it was an independent project I did outside of a lab, so I feel weird listing it since it doesn’t seem to fit in any of those categories.

I didn’t see a spot for research. Are you putting it in the volunteer and community service section? Or the extracurriculars? I have research on my primary, but it was an independent project I did outside of a lab, so I feel weird listing it since it doesn’t seem to fit in any of those categories.

putting it in the EC section. Since im applying MSTP would feel rly weird leaving it off lol

FWIW I put mine in the EC section.

putting it in the EC section. Since im applying MSTP would feel rly weird leaving it off lol

FWIW I put mine in the EC section.

Should I put mine? It was a capstone project I did independently that involved coding some simulations and running some game theory experiments using the code, which ultimately made it into a thesis.

Should I put mine? It was a capstone project I did independently that involved coding some simulations and running some game theory experiments using the code, which ultimately made it into a thesis.
I would. That experience certainly won't hurt you and will probably help - particularly with Johns Hopkins, as they have an impressive biomedical engineering program.

Would it be suspicious to talk about an EC experience in my "most rewarding experience" essay that wasn't one of my 3 most meaningful on AMCAS?

Yeah I sort of felt like I was buying concert tickets to a show I probably won’t get to see lol.
Honestly, that's a fantastic description of what submitting this secondary felt like.

Clearly it's a crazy reach school for me, but between it being a dream school and the fact that I'm on the West coast (which is definitely the best coast, for all those who are curious) while my SO just got a job at JHU, I had to throw my hat in the ring. Hopefully my screener will take pity on me or will be super interested in my research!

Honestly, that's a fantastic description of what submitting this secondary felt like.

Clearly it's a crazy reach school for me, but between it being a dream school and the fact that I'm on the West coast (which is definitely the best coast, for all those who are curious) while my SO just got a job at JHU, I had to throw my hat in the ring. Hopefully my screener will take pity on me or will be super interested in my research!
Good luck!