2009-2010 University of Texas Galveston (UTMB) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, the best thing you can do is just be honest about yourself and the intentions you have for your future. Be able to explain your activities intelligently, take an interest in current events, and you'll be fine. You should be able to come across as having passion for your future career without rehearsing!

That is what I was thinking, but a mind block would be horribly embarrassing :oops:

I just want to get comfortable answering without saying "like" or backtracking a bunch :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, im a second year at utmb, thought id clear up y'all inevitable speculation. I interviewed all over texas, and utmb was without a doubt the most relaxed interview. don't worry about specifics, just talk to them. as a faculty interviewer told me, 'im just trying to make sure they aren't sociopaths.....'

by the way, exit harborside (first exit across the causeway). take a left going east and you will get to campus 4 miles down. market street and seawall don't cross until far east, they run parallel across most of the island. Good luck and pm if you have any specific questions....

Hey, im a second year at utmb, thought id clear up y'all inevitable speculation. I interviewed all over texas, and utmb was without a doubt the most relaxed interview. don't worry about specifics, just talk to them. as a faculty interviewer told me, 'im just trying to make sure they aren't sociopaths.....'

by the way, exit harborside (first exit across the causeway). take a left going east and you will get to campus 4 miles down. market street and seawall don't cross until far east, they run parallel across most of the island. Good luck and pm if you have any specific questions....

Yeah thats what everyone told me, but I had by far the worst interview experience of any medical school there this past weekend. Of course I'm sure its not the norm, but this guy was way unprofessional. Questioned the integrity of my TMDSAS application and was very negative about my non-trad undergrad degree.

UTMB fits perfect for me I grew up there, but man I hope thats not the norm.

Members don't see this ad :)
My TMDSAS was finally processed and "transmitted to schools" today. Since I applied to here, Houston, and San Antonio, all of which don't have secondaries, then are my files automatically complete at these schools?

My TMDSAS was finally processed and "transmitted to schools" today. Since I applied to here, Houston, and San Antonio, all of which don't have secondaries, then are my files automatically complete at these schools?

As long as they have all of your LOR's, transcripts and mcat scores you should be complete... keep in mind TMDSAS will send your application without LOR'S, MCAT scores and transcripts....

Hey guys, got an invite for 9/11. How is everyone getting to Galveston? Fly into Houston and drive?

Hey guys, got an invite for 9/11. How is everyone getting to Galveston? Fly into Houston and drive?

I don't have an interview yet, but if I get one I'm planning on driving down from Austin. I think the driving time will help me relax, and focus before the interview, whereas the planes and airports sort of amp me up...

anybody flying? im guessing i am going to have to fly in to houston and rent a car...

As long as they have all of your LOR's, transcripts and mcat scores you should be complete... keep in mind TMDSAS will send your application without LOR'S, MCAT scores and transcripts....

Okay, thanks! All my LOR's, MCAT, and transcripts were received by TMDSAS weeks ago so that shouldn't be a problem. But should I be expecting some sort of "complete" e-mail? Or an e-mail saying that they've received my application? Or will I only find out whether or not I get to interview?

Okay, thanks! All my LOR's, MCAT, and transcripts were received by TMDSAS weeks ago so that shouldn't be a problem. But should I be expecting some sort of "complete" e-mail? Or an e-mail saying that they've received my application? Or will I only find out whether or not I get to interview?

My primary was sent to schools on 8/6 and I actually got a complete email from UTHSCSA and UTMB on 8/13, and a complete email from UTSW today (8/18). No complete email from the others yet though..

My primary was sent to schools on 8/6 and I actually got a complete email from UTHSCSA and UTMB on 8/13, and a complete email from UTSW today (8/18). No complete email from the others yet though..

My TMDSAS was transmitted in early July, and I have yet to hear a peep from UTMB...strange since I have gotten interviews at several TX schools.:confused: This process is either that random, or UTMB randomly sends emails to some, but not to others. I suppose I'll call some time to make sure they've actually got my app, but they seem less than thrilled to talk to applicants according to people on the forum. I did a get a complete message from San Antonio in mid-July...no interview though.

Members don't see this ad :)
My TMDSAS was transmitted in early July, and I have yet to hear a peep from UTMB...strange since I have gotten interviews at several TX schools.:confused: This process is either that random, or UTMB randomly sends emails to some, but not to others. I suppose I'll call some time to make sure they've actually got my app, but they seem less than thrilled to talk to applicants according to people on the forum. I did a get a complete message from San Antonio in mid-July...no interview though.

To add, my app was sent to schools June 22 and I too have not received any sort of e-mail or any correspondence whatsoever from UTMB. I even e-mailed admissions in late July.... still nothing. I will be calling this morning.

***Edit, I called this morning and was told that my app was under review. I asked them to verify that they'd received my latest MCAT score and the lady said that the latest score that they had was from 2007. I sent my June 18 scores to TMDSAS on July 21 and e-mailed UTMB to advise them of this on July 21. They never responded. She right then and there pulled up TMDSAS and downloaded the new scores. I expressed that I was concerned that I was reviewed without my latest score and she said that she'd notate my account and send a note to admissions. Now here we are in nearly late August as though I were a late applicant.

This is quite frustrating.

Last edited:
Oh that is highly frustrating. I wonder how many of us are in the same boat?? Guess I'll be calling to see if they've even downloaded my complete file. I guess they're still in shambles from the hurricane?

I am interviewing 8/28 too! I'm starting to get nervous!

has anyone gone to the night before social? if so, is it worth it?

I went to the night before social for my interview and it was very helpful. You can talk to the med students and theres no faculty/staff there. You get some repetition the next day, but it gives you a bit of a different perspective as well as helps you to think of questions ahead of time (for your interviewer or during the medical school panel).

I would also stay with a med. student if you can, mine was very friendly and very helpful.

The interview was very relaxed though, so I wouldn't worry too much :D

I went to the night before social for my interview and it was very helpful. You can talk to the med students and theres no faculty/staff there. You get some repetition the next day, but it gives you a bit of a different perspective as well as helps you to think of questions ahead of time (for your interviewer or during the medical school panel).

I would also stay with a med. student if you can, mine was very friendly and very helpful.

The interview was very relaxed though, so I wouldn't worry too much :D

great, thanks for the advice!

I was just invited to interview on 9/18, I haven't received my info packet in the mail yet, should I e-mail admissions about the student host program?

thanks.

Last edited:
I was just invited to interview on 9/18, I haven't received my info packet in the mail yet, should I e-mail admissions about the student host program?

thanks.

don't e-mail. just wait, and they'll send it to you. i got mine a few days after the invite.

about the interview... i had an interview here and while they may seem laid back, they are really analyzing everything you say. I called back to see what the interviewers thought of me last year (i'm a reapplicant) and the advisor said that there was a note about my motivation! i was pretty upset about that since i made it very clear that becoming a doctor was the only goal that i've ever had. the problem was that the interviewer would not take that for an answer and kept grilling me until i drew a blank. On a positive note, everyone was very friendly and they even had a current student give you a tour of the campus who was very helpful with everything.

About the complete application/under review e-mail. I did not even receive one of those at all last year. I just got an interview invitation e-mail and thats it so stop worrying so much. ;)

Last edited:
Another quick question, is it possible to fly into the Scholes airport?

the best option would be to fly into HOU and use Galveston Limo. It worked out great for me.

the best option would be to fly into HOU and use Galveston Limo. It worked out great for me.

thanks I guess I reached the same conclusion myself.

I'm just gonna post this here rather than on the interview feedback...

I had a horrible interview experience. I was both grilled and insulted by one interviewer, a PhD. During orientation the admissions people told us that if we happen to have a horrible interview, let them know and they will reschedule. I went to the admissions office and they were upset with what I had to tell them, the questions I was asked, the prejudices the interviewer brought to the table. They promptly rescheduled me a third interview right there in the office and the interviewer was wonderful.

Some advice: If you have this type of thing happen to you at whatever school, GO TELL SOMEBODY. Don't wait until you drive home to email them. Most schools want the interviews to be a relaxed process. Things ended up great... and I'd love to go to UTMB. Hope I never see that interviewer again though. What a dick.

Sorry that happened to you but I'm glad it was resolved. Not that anyone cares, but my interviewers were fantastic.

I'm just gonna post this here rather than on the interview feedback...

I had a horrible interview experience. I was both grilled and insulted by one interviewer, a PhD. During orientation the admissions people told us that if we happen to have a horrible interview, let them know and they will reschedule. I went to the admissions office and they were upset with what I had to tell them, the questions I was asked, the prejudices the interviewer brought to the table. They promptly rescheduled me a third interview right there in the office and the interviewer was wonderful.

Some advice: If you have this type of thing happen to you at whatever school, GO TELL SOMEBODY. Don't wait until you drive home to email them. Most schools want the interviews to be a relaxed process. Things ended up great... and I'd love to go to UTMB. Hope I never see that interviewer again though. What a dick.

Maybe we had the same guy only no one told me that. I did let someone know a couple days afterward, but I guess that was too late for another interview. The guy I had was really unprofessional in fact both of my interviewers had some heavy prejudices. I didn't think it would affect my wanting to attend UTMB, but over time its really been eating at me.

Glad you got your resolved though.

Some advice: If you have this type of thing happen to you at whatever school, GO TELL SOMEBODY.

Wow - thanks for the heads up!

Interviewing Oct. 9th - yay!!! :thumbup:

I'm planning to do the night-before social. :)

Hey guys- I have an interview on Oct 2nd and am coming from Dallas. I'm flying Southwest Thursday and am going to take the Galveston Limo ($45) to Galveston from Hobby. I'm hoping to leave Galveston Friday evening, but Galveston Limo says that their last bus is leaving 3:30 pm.

How did you guys manage to get back to Hobby Friday evening after your interview?

Also, are their any hotels that offer a shuttle service to the airport?

Thanks!

the interview day ended well before 3:30 for me. But I also requested that they pick me up last at Galveston. So I was picked up from the hospital at around 3:45

hey guys I know im late but I just submitted my app on 9/14 so I dont think it will be transmitted until sometime in october. do you think it will be too late for schools to consider me by then?

Hey guys- I have an interview on Oct 2nd and am coming from Dallas. I'm flying Southwest Thursday and am going to take the Galveston Limo ($45) to Galveston from Hobby. I'm hoping to leave Galveston Friday evening, but Galveston Limo says that their last bus is leaving 3:30 pm.

How did you guys manage to get back to Hobby Friday evening after your interview?

Also, are their any hotels that offer a shuttle service to the airport?

Thanks!

The 3:30pm last shuttle is for the IAH airport, they pick up later for the Hobby airport. Good luck.

:) Hello lovely SDNers...as a longtime lurker on these forums, the happy news I got today prompted me to create an account and meet you all! "Late completions" don't lose hope! I just got my first interview from UTMB today and am super excited. Maybe I'll see some of you there :D

C:9/17 II:9/24 I:10/9

:) Hello lovely SDNers...as a longtime lurker on these forums, the happy news I got today prompted me to create an account and meet you all! "Late completions" don't lose hope! I just got my first interview from UTMB today and am super excited. Maybe I'll see some of you there :D

Late completion here also. 8/14 submitted with payment recieved, 9/14 transmitted, 10/9 interview.

See you there JustDance!

Late completion here also. 8/14 submitted with payment recieved, 9/14 transmitted, 10/9 interview.

See you there JustDance!
Looking forward to it! (...even if you are an Aggie ;)) Oh and I forgot to mention I'm OOS in case anyone was wondering

See you there JustDance!

I'm not sure if this should make me hopeful or worried. TMDSAS verified 9/15, and UTMB bounce-back email 9/17. No other correspondence yet...

I got an interview invite last week...and they sent me another one today :confused:

Hey justdance... i have a quick question for you...

You got a notice for an interview last thursday after just havingtransmitted your score a week before? So it took them a week to process and to send you an invite?

I'm beginning to worry because mine was completed on 9/10 and transmitted the same day still no contact.

Is anyone else having the same experience?

Thanks!

ps g'luck in your interview justdance!

You got a notice for an interview last thursday after just havingtransmitted your score a week before? So it took them a week to process and to send you an invite?

I'm beginning to worry because mine was completed on 9/10 and transmitted the same day still no contact.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much. My mcat score from july 17th was received by the school on 8/21 and I just received and interview from the school today.

Thanks!

I was complete on JULY 9th, and received no correspondence from UTMB. I actually sent them an email a couple weeks ago just to make sure they had everything. They took about a week to respond, but ultimately they told me I was complete and that no final decision regarding my file had been made. I guess that means I'm probably in the 'hold' pile, but who really knows.

I've received interviews for every MD school in TX except UTMB and San Antonio...so you really never know how things are going to be viewed by different schools, even those that are 'less competitive' than those other TX schools numbers-wise.

So, I guess you just have to hang in there, and let the process happen...frustrating to say the least. Good luck!

I was complete on JULY 9th, and received no correspondence from UTMB. I actually sent them an email a couple weeks ago just to make sure they had everything. They took about a week to respond, but ultimately they told me I was complete and that no final decision regarding my file had been made. I guess that means I'm probably in the 'hold' pile, but who really knows.

I've received interviews for every MD school in TX except UTMB and San Antonio...so you really never know how things are going to be viewed by different schools, even those that are 'less competitive' than those other TX schools numbers-wise.

So, I guess you just have to hang in there, and let the process happen...frustrating to say the least. Good luck!

How utterly annoying! I wish they had some type of tracker or something that would inform us about our application status. Anyhow, how fast was the response from the Paul Foster school, or Texas Tech , UTSW?

Thanks so much for the response.

Thanks!

By "transmitting your score" do you mean my MCAT or when TMDSAS was processed? I released my MCAT scores sometime in July and my TMDSAS was verified (sent to schools) 9/9. Got the complete e-mail on the 17th. Sorry I can't be more helpful but maybe they're not going in order of completion? Oh and thanks for the well wishes :) I thought this school was going to be my first interview...and then I found out I have one next Wed! :scared:

Oh and Canjosh, I'll trade you my second interview invite from UTMB for one of your other TX schools ;)

By "transmitting your score" do you mean my MCAT or when TMDSAS was processed? I released my MCAT scores sometime in July and my TMDSAS was verified (sent to schools) 9/9. Got the complete e-mail on the 17th. Sorry I can't be more helpful but maybe they're not going in order of completion? Oh and thanks for the well wishes :) I thought this school was going to be my first interview...and then I found out I have one next Wed! :scared:

I got verified on 9/10. And I'm not sure what you mean by the complete e-mail... unless you're referring to the email from UTMB that says " hey thanks for the application and now its under review"...

My first interview is going to be on Oct 23! at UT houston:(. I wish I had more in state vs out of state (which is weird).

I got verified on 9/10. And I'm not sure what you mean by the complete e-mail... unless you're referring to the email from UTMB that says " hey thanks for the application and now its under review"...

My first interview is going to be on Oct 23! at UT houston:(. I wish I had more in state vs out of state (which is weird).
Yes, that is what I meant by "complete" e-mail. And it looks like I'll be seeing you in Houston on the 23rd!

Hmm I just realized I also have more OOS than IS interviews...

How utterly annoying! I wish they had some type of tracker or something that would inform us about our application status. Anyhow, how fast was the response from the Paul Foster school, or Texas Tech , UTSW?

Thanks so much for the response.

Both Tech schools were fast--but that was early in the cycle. For instance, I got the Lubbock offer two days after I submitted the secondary (mid July). El Paso offer came mid July as well. A&M was two or three days after completion of the secondary (late July). UT-Houston was the first week of August...so 1 month after verification. UTSW and Baylor were both offered in the last 2 weeks...so that would be 2ish months after completion. For Baylor, I think I was complete around July 1st.

The weird thing about UTMB was that I got NOTHING from the school to indicate that I was even an applicant there--hence the email I finally sent a few weeks ago. San Antonio sent me an 'under review' email in mid-July, but nothing since.

Good luck at UT-Houston, BranMed! Why the frown?? It's a great school, and quite competitive...you should be proud of yourself! I'll actually be across the way at Baylor that same day. I've heard that UT-Houston students consistently beat the Baylor folks in various athletic showdowns...but that's coming from the UT-H students!

Status
Not open for further replies.