2009-2010 University of Texas Galveston (UTMB) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an email back from UTMB admissions saying they still are not sure whether they will send out acceptances Friday, Nov 13th or the week of Monday, Nov. 16th.

Members don't see this ad.

There was another thread that I just read yesterday that stated that the TMDSAS announced noon, friday the 13th date as the time....not for UTMB specifically but for TX schools in general. I don't see why UTMB would wait though.

I can't remember the thread I read it on, but I'm sure a search would pull it up.

would someone mind sharing what the interview is like this year? open or closed file? any difficult (ethical/political) questions or is it mostly application specific?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

Does anybody know what UTMB's interviewed to accepted (not matriculated) ratio is? I have the MSAR, but it does not say how many they accept.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi there,

Does anybody know what UTMB's interviewed to accepted (not matriculated) ratio is? I have the MSAR, but it does not say how many they accept.

Thanks

good question. i too would like to know the answer to this

I GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY FOR UTMB!
yes Anna is going bananas :love:

Hey Anna,

Congratulations! I actually got my first interview invite today (from UTMB)...is yours for the 20th?

Hey Anna,

Congratulations! I actually got my first interview invite today (from UTMB)...is yours for the 20th?

YUP!! see you there!
PS do you know how many people interview per day...also what is the format of the interview?

Congrats to you too!

yeah it seems laid back, which is awesome!
i really can't wait!
If you don't mind me asking what are your stats
..you said this is your first interview, so i just want to see where i fall with other schools

Um, my stats won't be a good indication for you because I applied Oct 1 and was transmitted/verified on Oct 30 - I believe you applied much earlier than I did so you should have better luck. I wasn't really expecting much considering how late I applied but am extremely grateful that I have at least one interview now...and really really hoping for some more.

I applied with around a 3.78 and 33R (11/11/11/R). My application was also a little out of the ordinary because I am a dual National, (Canada/US) Texas resident but did my undergrad in Canada (thus i'm not really sure how my GPA was calculated). My EC's are okay, nothing extra-ordinary.

Is this your first MD interview? I believe I remember reading earlier that you already had your TCOM interview?

Once again, congrats!

oh wow very impressive stats!
congrats!!

This is my 3rd interview, i have tcom and tech (el paso)
Hopefully you will get more interviews!
best of luck :luck:

Thanks!

Do you know if all Texas schools give interview invites on Fridays or is it random?

Members don't see this ad :)
No not really
They can send it any day of the week, depends on how they work things out. I got some on Tuesday and Friday and I have heard all days of the week really. Friday does seem to be common for many school though!

Cool, thanks.

Also, I found here that they interview 50-60 people/day.

oh wow very impressive stats!
congrats!!

This is my 3rd interview, i have tcom and tech (el paso)
Hopefully you will get more interviews!
best of luck :luck:

Hi Anna..Congratz on this interview...Do you mind sharing when you were verified and your stats? I actually just got invited for TCOM and Tech (el paso) last week and was really hoping I get an interview from UTMB or UT Houston. It looks like time is running out for UTMB since there is only 1 more date for interviews :(

PS Any advice for TCOM and Tech interviews? Good Luck on the 20th!!

Thanks!

Do you know if all Texas schools give interview invites on Fridays or is it random?

I got my TCOM interview invite on Friday over the phone and Tech El Paso on Monday at 9 am through email. I guess it is random, but Friday does seem like the more common date for invites.

Anyone in here get an invite other than Friday for UTMB or any other school?

Good Luck to you all!

I got my TCOM interview invite on Friday over the phone and Tech El Paso on Monday at 9 am through email. I guess it is random, but Friday does seem like the more common date for invites.

Anyone in here get an invite other than Friday for UTMB or any other school?

Good Luck to you all!
I got UTMB on a Monday and San Antonio on a Tuesday

I got UTMB on a Monday and San Antonio on a Tuesday

Hey there,

I know this is not a UTHSCSA thread, but just had a quick question for you.

How long after receiving the confirmation email from SA did you actually hear back from them? Also, do you know if they significantly favor URMs or people from rural towns, etc (I am neither)? Didn't find any such info in the specific SA thread.

Thanks

Hi Anna..Congratz on this interview...Do you mind sharing when you were verified and your stats? I actually just got invited for TCOM and Tech (el paso) last week and was really hoping I get an interview from UTMB or UT Houston. It looks like time is running out for UTMB since there is only 1 more date for interviews :(

I was verified mid august..but my new mcat was not ready till mid september.
I have a 28 and a 3.99

You never know about UTMB..i mean i was NOT expecting it at all!! There is still hope :)

hmm so for tcom it was pretty laid back and i still have not attended tech yet. Usually the best advice is be yourself and relax. The schools want you and they will try to sell the school to you! That mantality will help you relax and be yourself! TCOM is a great school, i was impressed
good luck:luck:

Hey there,

I know this is not a UTHSCSA thread, but just had a quick question for you.

How long after receiving the confirmation email from SA did you actually hear back from them? Also, do you know if they significantly favor URMs or people from rural towns, etc (I am neither)? Didn't find any such info in the specific SA thread.

Thanks

I heard back from them pretty quickly, but I submitted my application in May so things were moving a lot faster. I don't know anything about URMs or people interested in rural med, but it did seem like they review your application a little more closely before interview than the other Texas schools I applied to. They told us they do things like correlated your SAT score to your MCAT score to see if you are over/under performing relative to your potential.

I heard back from them pretty quickly, but I submitted my application in May so things were moving a lot faster. I don't know anything about URMs or people interested in rural med, but it did seem like they review your application a little more closely before interview than the other Texas schools I applied to. They told us they do things like correlated your SAT score to your MCAT score to see if you are over/under performing relative to your potential.

Thanks for the response.

I was also wondering if UTMB relies heavily on the pre-match? That would be pretty disadvantageous considering my interview is after the 13th/15th.

Last edited:

Actually I had an interview at TCOM and I have to admit that it was very different from all the other interviews that I had.

I didn't feel pressured but I have to admit that it probably wasn't as laid back as the other schools I've interviewed with. The interviews were conducted the way that I imagined it be as a pre-med applicant. It was very question/answer oriented with an emphasis on the typical questions that one would expect: why do you want to be a doctor? what do you think of our healthcare system? etc...

I would recommend preparing for very medically relevant questions.

I really enjoyed my interview day and lunch was fantastic (although i got my food late so i had to eat really fast). The students are friendly and down to earth and I was thoroughly impressed with their emphasis on teaching. I hope you have a great interview there.

Last edited:
anyone know how many interview and how many are accepted?

According to MSAR they interviewed 916 in states and 70 OOS, and matriculated 210 for in and 18 for OOS. As for how many accepted, schools typically accepted more than the matriculated number so that should give you a good idea.

I just contacted the office of admissions. They said that they will be releasing pre-match offers today, and they are releasing them "within the next few hours" but they could not guarantee that. (time of call 1:20pm) I hope this helps give a more definite time scale for everyone.

i'm trying to stay as calm as possible right now.......... has anyone heard from UTMB?

Hey what is this file they emailed? It seems cruel that it would be a rejection.... Anyone else gotten one?

Posted this in the republic of texas forum too,but I can give yall a little inside info. UTMB was supposed to send out the emails at noon but there has been some problems. Hopefully, the emails will still go out sometime today but they will be a much shorter version then usual( no attached ppt)

omg. I just received the email. It says:

Please note the following attachment regarding your application status to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston School of Medicine.

Please click on the attachment to view the message. If you are having trouble opening the file, please follow the instructions below.

When I finally got the file open it was pretty much unbelievable lol. It is a video. With people dancing. And it says that tonight is going to be a good night because I am on my way to being a doctor. Then, finally, it says I am accepted and will get something in the mail. Honestly, it was the most absurd thing I have ever seen. i am at work so I watched it on mute, I can only imagine the tunes they selected to accompany this.

But I am very honored by the acceptance!! :-D

omg. I just received the email. It says:

Please note the following attachment regarding your application status to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston School of Medicine.

Please click on the attachment to view the message. If you are having trouble opening the file, please follow the instructions below.

When I finally got the file open it was pretty much unbelievable lol. It is a video. With people dancing. And it says that tonight is going to be a good night because I am on my way to being a doctor. Then, finally, it says I am accepted and will get something in the mail. Honestly, it was the most absurd thing I have ever seen. i am at work so I watched it on mute, I can only imagine the tunes they selected to accompany this.

But I am very honored by the acceptance!! :-D

How strange..! Haha. I just got an acceptance email (5:04 PM Eastern) but there was no video, just a short note about congratulations on my acceptance and getting something in the mail.

any OOS acceptances yet? I'm sitting here wondering if I should wait or start to feel depressed...

Friday the 13th is my new lucky day. I'm in,too. :D

:eek:AHHH AHHH!!! AHH@!@!!! HOLY **** OMGFFFFMMEEEEEE!! HARVARD HARVARD HARVARD!!!! AHHHH AND UTMB!!! AHHHH!!! !AAHHHH SAME DAY !AHAHHHH!!!! AHAAHHHH I'LL BE SURGEON GENERAL ONE DAY AAAHHH!!! AHAHHHHHH !!!!

Got accepted, stoked and terrified.

I was verified early Sept with 3.3sGPA/3.5cGPA/33. Still have not received a single invite for interview from TX schools. Is it too late to receive an interview now considering I haven't received any yet?

accepted. I interviewed the first day whenever that was.

Accepted!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

I can't believe it!

Status
Not open for further replies.